Forums > Photography Talk > Sure! I'll give you my photography ideas!

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Lose lips sink ships and screw up great concepts.

Jan 18 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

Picasso can give me his brushes, and we can talk about his ideas...I will never be a Picasso:)

Jan 18 06 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

photoruss

Hiram, Georgia, US

Personally, I don't mind going over ideas with a model.  I also like meeting with a model beforehand, especially if they are TFCD shoots.  These shoots are meant to be a collective effort on the part of the photographer and the model, so looks, clothing, locations, props are important to discuss.   Everyone knows that you have to steal, steal, steal.  Good lord, people, it happens in the movies, novels, plays and music.  Do you think photographers are too good to be stolen from?  I'll start being secret with my ideas when I'm footing the bills for the shoot, i.e. paying the model, paying the stylist to get exactly what I want.

Jan 18 06 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Mandie wrote:
I always ask for ideas, but I guess what I am looking for is direction on what to bring...  It's frustrating when photographers just tell us to bring clothes and then we have to bring a 100 outifts for the photographers to pick from.  If I have an idea, I share it with the photographer - it's just part of planning.  I have never stolen an idea, nor had my idea stolen...  I guess it just helps to get some kind of direction so that both parties can be well-prepared!

I usually tell my models to bring EVERYTHING!  Who knows what can inspire me when I see it?  If you bring everything we go through it once, then I know what is available to me...  I've been warned by models that tell me they have 2 suitcases full and I say okay and don't forget the shoes!  I have a van and can pack a lot of shit in it no problem!

I once had a model show up with a car FULL and I mean backseat, trunk, passenger seat FULL of clothes, shoes, accessories...  We shot for 9 hours!!!  I was like a kid in a candy store! Whatever I could think of she had the outfit!!!  I love pack rats!!!

Jan 19 06 03:53 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Keyronn wrote:
Confidentiality Agreement before talking about ANY ideas!

And if they break it what are you gonna do? NOTHING!

Jan 19 06 03:58 am Link

Photographer

photoruss

Hiram, Georgia, US

I like your thinking, Hamza.   Bring everything!   It's so simple; why didn't I think of that!?    (and I am not being sarcastic).

Jan 19 06 06:58 am Link

Model

Mandie

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

russellpmiller wrote:
I like your thinking, Hamza.   Bring everything!   It's so simple; why didn't I think of that!?    (and I am not being sarcastic).

Ok, but think about being the model and having to pack every piece of clothing you own...  EVERY time you shoot!  I know that photographers have a lot of equipment - but you know what you need on location shoots, and you have it ready in the studio.  It's so much easier to at least get SOME direction...

Jan 19 06 07:12 am Link

Photographer

photoruss

Hiram, Georgia, US

Mandie,  I'm sure that we mean everything that is related to the shoot.  So if you are doing goth, then bring gothy things, etc.    I personally look for 2 or 3 outfits especially with TFCD shoots (9 hours of photographing means a LOT of time in front of the computer editing).

Jan 19 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

i *think* i've had this happen too, but you know what? it's finders keepers. if somebody else hears my idea and gets it done b4 i do (even with my head start) guess what? they won! the problem isn't letting my precious concept leak out, it's being too slow in getting it done.

Jan 19 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

robotbones

Austin, Texas, US

tell me about it, a few years ago i said out loud, "how about wearing angle wings and point a gun at the camera while standing in a grave yard"
i should of copy right it
but i move on to pin up.

Jan 19 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

What ideas?  How about some examples?  Preferably with as much dtail as possible...

LOL

I was about to type an answer to you and this invisible hand smacked me in the back of the head.

Jan 21 06 01:23 am Link

Photographer

W I L L I A M A N U E L

Emeryville, California, US

Way to go Wild Horse I get that from time to time but I learned once...now they can go to my port. And steal some inspiration.  Geez a mind is a terrible thing to waste...damn lazy brain people. Tell it like it is my friend.

Jan 21 06 03:01 pm Link

Model

Kim Forman

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I hope it's okay for a newbie to post here. wink

Dave Krueger wrote:
Personally, I've looked at so many pictures done by other photographers that I would be a lying sack of horse pucky to claim that I have never stolen someone else's idea.  Not only that, but I don't even claim ownership to my own original ideas anymore because it's impossible for me to be sure that the concept didn't come from some picture I don't even consciously remember seeing.

On the flip side, I don't believe I'm so exceptionally creative that someone else couldn't independently come up with picture ideas very similar to mine.

-Dave

I've with Dave here.  However, I think it just downright bitchy to contact someone pretending interest in working together with the sole purpose of harvesting ideas.  People who do that should rot in photography hell, as far as I'm concerned.  With any luck (at the very least), the stolen shoot would go horribly wrong and many loooooong days and nights of preparation would go down the toilet right along with their professional image. tongue

Jan 21 06 04:59 pm Link