Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Is this really necessary?

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ok, maybe its just me PMS-ing, but I'm really get tired of reading profiles where people talk about themselves in the third person.  It's a little more than slightly annoying.  What's so bad about speaking in the first person as if you are in fact human (note: any aliens out there, this doesn't apply to you... haha)?  Speaking in the first person makes the photog/model/etc. seem a lot more approachable, and maybe even less likely to have "diva syndrome."  I know everyone has egos and all, but I mean a lot of the offenders are people who apear, from their ports, to be just starting out.  If your egos that big already, I'm sorry for you and I hope you've got a thick skin because this industry can be quite harsh at times. 

So is it just me thinking this, or are there other people out there getting annoyed as well?

Jan 18 06 05:57 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=24692

For the record I still love James Graham smile

Jan 18 06 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Mikel does agree with you to a certain point. He often wonders if the portfolio textr was written by a third party, perhaps someone with the ability to actually write.

Mikel has found it funny, however, when there are first person references accidentally left in the portfolio. He chuckles at this apparent lack of consistency, but again find himself wondering if the original text was written by someone with a grasp of the English language, and then edited later by the model.

Jan 18 06 06:01 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:
Mikel does agree with you to a certain point. He often wonders if the portfolio textr was written by a third party, perhaps someone with the ability to actually write.

Mikel has found it funny, however, when there are first person references accidentally left in the portfolio. He chuckles at this apparent lack of consistency, but again find himself wondering if the original text was written by someone with a grasp of the English language, and then edited later by the model.

haha... cute... *smacks upside head*... now snap out of it or you won't be able to talk like a normal person again... I'm so pro-first-person its ridiculous *nods*

Jan 18 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

I couldn't help myself, and I have to admit it felt unnatural. On a different topic, I like your chin, Bethanne. wink

Jan 18 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Gregory

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 18 06 06:06 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

I must say, i've never gotten compliments on my chin before... this is a first *giggle*

Jan 18 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Dossett Photography

Lovejoy, Georgia, US

I know I have come across a few where a photographer has started the profile for a model, but the model never checks or updates it. But It irritates me too to hear someone speak of themselves in the third person.

Jan 18 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

The Thorny Rose wrote:
I must say, i've never gotten compliments on my chin before... this is a first *giggle*

You have a strong chin that does a wonderful job of anchoring a magnificent jawline.

Jan 18 06 06:17 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

thank you luv :-)

*scurries away like a giddy school girl*

Jan 18 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

The Thorny Rose wrote:
thank you luv :-)

*scurries away like a giddy school girl*

It's all about the details, dear. A pretty face is a collection of good attributes. I don't know that everyone pays so much attention to the parts, though.

Then again, different people key off of different things. I also like long graceful necklines.... and with a jawline and chin tike yours, it ends up being perfect.

Jan 18 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

You aren't suppose to. Its suppose to be "your page" or "your portfolio website" you're never suppose to write in the third person unless you're asked to write something that will appear in a third party source like a magizine or a website that isn't run by you.

Anoyone who does this is just trying to look important.

Jan 18 06 06:32 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

Angelo Lorenzo  wrote:
You aren't suppose to. Its suppose to be "your page" or "your portfolio website" you're never suppose to write in the third person unless you're asked to write something that will appear in a third party source like a magizine or a website that isn't run by you.

Anoyone who does this is just trying to look important.

exactly!

Jan 18 06 06:42 pm Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

We have no idea what you mean.  wink

Jan 18 06 07:06 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

mollie_lane wrote:
We have no idea what you mean.  wink

Ah!!!... now its more than one person in the third person!!! ( id forgotten all about that...)

Jan 18 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

The Thorny Rose wrote:

Ah!!!... now its more than one person in the third person!!! ( id forgotten all about that...)

Naw, that is first person plural... Now if THEY had something to say about THEMSELVES as models/photographers/stylists/trained monkeys/whatever, then you'd have third person plural.

Hmm... we need to do more second person writeups.

Jan 18 06 07:37 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Model Sarah wrote:
http://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=24692

For the record I still love James Graham smile

Dang Sarah.
You beat Angelus!

Mr. Graham is eccentric to Angelus by the way.

Jan 18 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

ELANFOTOS

Miami, Florida, US

hulk mad at double threads! hulk smash all who talk in third person, hulk..oh...ooppss

Jan 18 06 07:42 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

As Rebecca Alsbury's representative, she feels that it is annoying when models or photographers speak in third person. Rebecca also would like to say that all of those other people who do this need to realize they may not be as highly important as they think they are. Rebecca Alsbury is finished speaking now.

Dang, how annoying would that be if we all talked like that?! I couldn't last a day if I had to talk like that all the time....

Jan 18 06 08:07 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Angelus wrote:

Dang Sarah.
You beat Angelus!

Mr. Graham is eccentric to Angelus by the way.

he is eccentric to all brunnettes smile

Jan 18 06 08:16 pm Link