Forums > Photography Talk > So tell me about Adox/Efke film...

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

I've checked out the manufacturer sites but I'd like to get some feedback from people who have used it and have an opinion about how it measures up to the stuff I'm used to (TMAX and PAN F+).  I also used to be a big fan of Panatomic-X and was wondering if the 25 speed Adox is similar.

Thanks!

-Dave

Jan 20 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Athearn

Boulder, Colorado, US

Oh yeah, I used Adox KB-25 many years ago. It's a very fine grained film that looks like Panatomic-X but finer grained. I think it's a little lower in contrast. Heck, I didn't know Adox was still made. It's good stuff.

Jan 20 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Rick Athearn wrote:
Heck, I didn't know Adox was still made.

Here is where I found it.  They also have links to the manufacturer sites,

http://www.jandcphoto.com/

Thanks for the recommendation.  I may give it a shot.

-Dave

Jan 20 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Dave Krueger wrote:
I've checked out the manufacturer sites but I'd like to get some feedback from people who have used it and have an opinion about how it measures up to the stuff I'm used to (TMAX and PAN F+).  I also used to be a big fan of Panatomic-X and was wondering if the 25 speed Adox is similar.

Thanks!

-Dave

i have not yet printed from them, but the few negs i've shot so far look pretty good.  nice range, nice definition when developed in acutol.  i am curious to try stand development in rodinal next time.   i did end up with some freaky goo on the base side of one of the rolls, which i could not figure out.  it came off with some fixer and rubbing with my thumb.

the coolest part is that they give you a plastic canister for 120 rolls!  also, be aware that the 35mm rolls are not dx-coded, if that matters to you.

Jan 20 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Athearn

Boulder, Colorado, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

Here is where I found it.  They also have links to the manufacturer sites,

http://www.jandcphoto.com/

Thanks for the recommendation.  I may give it a shot.

-Dave

I meant Adox KB-14, ISO 25. Interesting information. I didn't know that they were using an ORWO base for it. ORWO used to be an East German film. I suggest that you process the Adox in good old Rodinal (if you can still find it).

Jan 20 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

Dave Krueger wrote:

Thanks!

-Dave

i have not yet printed from them, but the few negs i've shot so far look pretty good.  nice range, nice definition when developed in acutol.  i am curious to try stand development in rodinal next time.   i did end up with some freaky goo on the base side of one of the rolls, which i could not figure out.  it came off with some fixer and rubbing with my thumb.

the coolest part is that they give you a plastic canister for 120 rolls!  also, be

I use to develope the old type films in D76 mixed 1:1 with water for 9.5 minutes, at 68 degrees. Fixer, and wash water, must also be kept below 72 degrees.  I added  1/4 oz of ammonium chloride to 32 oz of working developer, right before processing.  This mixture gave me very fine grain.

The films like Adox 25, Plus x and Tri x were rated at 25,  80, and 200, in the 50's. If the above developer was used the slower asa ratings have to be used.  The film will still look a little thin, and have a blue/purpe cast to it, but it will print great on No 2 graded paper, with almost no grain. I processed to a gamma of .7 with 35mm film, and to 1.0 with 4x5 films. 

The ammonium chloride mix info came from a Nikon factory employee back when they only made rangfinder cameras.

Jan 20 06 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

Love Efke kb100, never tried Adox.  I just told my lab to debelope the Efke like they would Ilford Delta 100, turned out great.  Actually I caught a sale on expired Efke and grabbed about 20 rolls for $1.99ea.  Still haven't used them all (a year later), but I keep them relatively cool.

This was taken with Efke KB100, then scanned on a crappy scanner and it's heavily filtered.
http://www.jmxphoto.com/images/c129f.jpg

Here's another (ignore the tileted horizon please):
http://www.jmxphoto.com/images/no_oaks_sm.jpg

Jan 21 06 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

JMX Photography wrote:
Love Efke kb100, never tried Adox.

I think they are basically one and the same.

Thanks for the feedback and the samples.  I don't like experimenting that much.  I like sticking with something once I start to like it, but these days, the stuff I've been using might not be around that  much longer.

I will keep the developing recommendation in mind as well.

-Dave

Jan 21 06 04:53 pm Link