Forums > Photography Talk > First Studio Nerves..

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

A question for the photogs who aren't too old to remember this experience..

Wondering how many of you got butterflies the first time you put together your own studio?  You know, the point where you crossed the line from hobby to liking the work enough to plunk down more money than you can actually afford on a pile of equipment your not sure you'll be able to figure out, put to use, or ever get rid of?

Maybe it's just me, but even though I'm not rich.. The camera was an easy investment.  The gradual build up of lenses was more intense (especially when I got my first piece of L glass), but still.  There's never any danger in a camera not having a use.  But a studio..  That's not something you're going to take with you on vacation, snap some pictures of a waterfall or a skyline or a parade, and say you got your money's worth.  Buying studio equipment, for me, was like that lemming step off the cliff.  You don't know how hard you're going to hit the bottom, or what comes after, but you know you can't live with yourself if you don't find out..

Or is it just me?

Jan 20 06 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

I put my studio together gradually, I started out with the lighting equipment I had used to set up in various locations and added a little bit at a time.
I also built a lot of my own stuff, I had worked earlier as a cabinet maker and could create a lot of useful things.
The more expensive things came later.

Jan 20 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Kansas City, Missouri, US

WG Rowland wrote:

Wondering how many of you got butterflies the first time you put together your own studio?  You know, the point where you crossed the line from hobby to liking the work enough to plunk down more money than you can actually afford on a pile of equipment your not sure you'll be able to figure out, put to use, or ever get rid of?

Maybe it's just me, but even though I'm not rich.. The camera was an easy investment.  The gradual build up of lenses was more intense (especially when I got my first piece of L glass), but still.  There's never any danger in a camera not having a use.  But a studio..  That's not something you're going to take with you on vacation, snap some pictures of a waterfall or a skyline or a parade, and say you got your money's worth.  Buying studio equipment, for me, was like that lemming step off the cliff.  You don't know how hard you're going to hit the bottom, or what comes after, but you know you can't live with yourself if you don't find out..

Or is it just me?

Not just you - I did that last year. I went from a "better to try and fail, than not to try at all" approach. We tried to do it intelligently, though, and not take out huge loans, only buy what we absolutely needed, and rent stuff as the need demanded.

Most fail because they spend too much money without having any idea how to make it back. Every day I look around and think "what did I do?" then 10 seconds later I think "I'm so glad I did this."

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. smile

Jan 20 06 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Dogbone Alt-Process

Llano, Texas, US

I think my own first step off the cliff was deciding to get a 4x5 view camera. Probably the same amount of butterflies as you encountered in building your studio inventory and perhaps even a less rational decision. I'd say both are definite signs that the hobby has become a passion or obsession.

Hope you are enjoying the fall as much as I am but who said we have to hit bottom? There's always that chance we'll sprout wings and fly.

Jan 20 06 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Yeah, I have some Speedotron blackline equipment that I bought from a friend who won it in an estate auction.... I have no idea how to use it, and it is currently just taking up space in my living room.

Jan 20 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

B Ellis Photography

Arlington, Texas, US

WG Rowland wrote:

Or is it just me?

I'm at the cliff like the proverbial lemming and hoping that there are pillows on the bottom of that rocky canyon!  I just love my day job as a sports photojournalist for a tv station.  That pays the bills, but that camera is getting a bit heavy.  I am building up still equipment as I go, so I guess I don't have to do it right away, but someday I keep threatening.  Plus, that 401K is still doing pretty well!!!!

Jan 20 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I went from some 35mm gear to a full studio with 4000 w/s of light and two MF systems in about six months.  I was already working steadily and needed some expenses and a fixed place for product work.  I'm not sure four years of commercial photography really paid for all that stuff.  I suppose it did.

Yep, it was scary and nice.

-Don

Jan 20 06 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Oh, just take the plunge.  You won't look back.

I am getting ready to re-open my So. Cal. studio and you have no idea how much we are budgeting for the project.

Jan 20 06 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I never was one to get nervous. But I ended up shutting my studio space down. I never really liked shooting inside and I did not get enough business to justify paying what I paid every month to keep it up.

Jan 20 06 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Luther

Arlington, Virginia, US

just set up a space in my house as a studio so I don't have to pay rent

Jan 20 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

I think if you are wise and you have forethought and vision... it is not a scary thing at all.

My first (3000 sq ft) downtown LA studio came about as follows..... 
-I did not have room in my Hwood apt to shoot
-I needed large windows for natural light
-I needed a room top with an adjacent wall  could paint black that got lots of ambient indirect light.

From there I put aside a bit of money from each 'studio' shoot.... and made plans as to what I would need.... paper racks, holders, c stands.... then eventually lighting.

I bought the basics slowly as I could afford... and continued using the studio per the original needs, a la natural light.  Eventually I found myself the a host of nice but cheap used equipment, as I had the luxury to get it as I found it... and not the demand and ruch to HAVE to buy it new and EXPENSIVE.

Jan 20 06 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Oh, just take the plunge.  You won't look back.

I am getting ready to re-open my So. Cal. studio and you have no idea how much we are budgeting for the project.

Plunge is already taken.. Although on a much more modest scale than most..  4 monos.. 3 300ws, 1 600ws.. Stands, various light control bits from softbox to beauty dish to test out..  Simple background stand and muslin..  I don't think there would be room for a subject if I tried to cram any more in there.. 

I guess the nutty part for me is there IS no plan to make an income out of this yet.  I'm no GWC, and when I first bought my camera I did have dreams of making a living with it.. But I was quickly disabused of those..  The only problem is I didn't lose the bug.  I still want to shoot.  I have a job that keeps a roof over my head (and for that matter the studio space, small as it is, is a free perk of the job..)  I may be picking up a second job to help offset the damage I'm doing with all this camera stuff (and my other addiction: electronics..)

But I want to learn.  I want to be good.  And I want to do both consistently.  Unlike my day job, there's always something new to learn in photography, and photography keeps the life support going on my creativity..

Anyway, that's why the extra nerves.  I'm investing like it's a business venture.  I'm treating it as seriously as a business venture.  But until I get good enough to be confident a client is going to get results that make them happy on a regular basis, I don't even see trying to make money at it..

Oh, forgot to ask..

Where in So-Cal...?  Need an apprentice?  heh

Jan 20 06 09:14 pm Link