Forums > Photography Talk > I get the GWC of the day award.....

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I was shooting a new model, outdoors, in overcast conditions, f2.8, 1/500 shutter, was beautiful......the sun came out some, started to cause some shadowing, even though it was later afternoon......so......I got the telephoto lens and the flash, as a fill, and I stood there for like 2 minutes wondering why the damn flash was not firing.......I forgot to slow my shutter speed down, even though I stopped it down a little.......I played it off well, like it was a malfunction......but deep down I said to self.......FUCKING DUH!!

Ok, go ahead and laugh at me, LOL, though most of us do have brain farts.... ;-)

Jan 21 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Eddie Song Photography

New York, New York, US

nah that's brain fart.  Happens to all of us sometimes.  smile

Jan 21 06 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

Ha Ha!

Kidding - your work rocks and everyone is allowed a few moments of senility.

Jan 21 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Muevelo NYC Productions wrote:
nah that's brain fart.  Happens to all of us sometimes.  smile

Yerp

Jan 21 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Dossett Photography

Lovejoy, Georgia, US

unless our cameras keep us from being dummies. Mine automatically slows down the shutterspeed to 1/500th ( my top sync) to work with flash. I get a brainfart when I forget to speed it up again!

Jan 21 06 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

I am Glad I am so superior I never make such idiotic mistakes. It must be hard to be you. wink

Jan 21 06 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

I did  that once years ago and my entire shoot was ruined. When I got the film back every roll was messed up, every frame was half black and half model ! I totally forgot to synce the shutter to the flash. Man I felt so small when I told the model what happened.

Jan 21 06 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

We had set the photo shoot weeks ahead, had to work night shift the day before the scheduled shoot,  too late to cancel , soooo ....OMG,  didnt set the white balance correctly among other stupid things...the whole set was awful!!  I was too embarressed to show the model any shots from the set!!  I still have the set and photoshopped the hell out of it...looks crappy, but it taught me a lesson...Everyone is a GWC (and some of us at times STILL feel like it)!!  I have fun and learn something on every shoot....

Jan 21 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Jay;

This is NOT the definition of a GWC!

You get that award only for actually getting laid by "models" and when you score bigtime with da ladies who hits the backdrop with you and "luv u looong time"...

What happened to you is a technical faux paz, nothing more...

Jan 21 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Tcab

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

at least you guys had the flashes ON- I've pulled that one a few times

Jan 22 06 12:50 am Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

What does GWC stand for exactly?  If it's for f-ups on set, my worst one is not so bad, just timely in a prophetic way.  The very last time - and I mean absolute last - that I shot a roll of 35mm film, I remember thinking, "well, that's the end of my last roll of 35, it's digital from now on", and promptly opened the back of the camera before rewinding.  After thousands of rolls of film, it's the only time I've ever done that.  It was really no great disaster, but talk about timing.  I fessed up to everyone on set - they were wondering why I was giggling.

That pales compered to the worst f-ups I've ever witnessed (one for a shooter, one for a lab):

A junior photographer I once knew got the assignment of a lifetime:  a huge, super-expensive wedding at a mansion north of Toronto, celeb bride marrying son of a wealthy banker, lots of Toronto's who's who in attendance, big paycheque and tons of print sales for years to come for the shooter.  Don't know how she got the gig, just that she knew someone, etc. etc.  She had very little experience shooting medium format, but shot it that way anyway.  She ended up loading EVERY SINGLE ROLL of 120 film paper side out, so what she got back was rolls and rolls of blank.  When I heard the story, I got such a horrible sinking feeling that I actually felt a bit sick.  I can only imagine what she went through, but I'll never know:  she quit the biz right after.

And finally, a photo lab (who's name I won't mention) received about 400 rolls of E6 shot by a photog on assignment for Canadian Geographic.  The shooter was in south-east Asia for about three months, shooting people in a half-dozen countries.  One of the lab staff, perhaps working overtime, loaded the E6 machine with C41 developer, and ran every single roll through without noticing.  The only colours that survived were blues and a bit of green, and the transparencies were very thin.  As you can imagine, the skin tones didn't exactly hold up, and there was absolutely nothing you could do in Photoshop to fix it.  Don't know the aftermath, but I do know that the lab owner did, in fact, get sick.

Jan 22 06 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Eli Anthony

Mentor, Ohio, US

I will get a nice shot all set up, lighting, pose, everything, pull out the camera with the lens cap still on and then have the nerve to have this confused look on my face (like why is everything so dark). Always happens after changing lenses.

Jan 22 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Jay Farrell wrote:
....I got the telephoto lens and the flash, as a fill, and I stood there for like 2 minutes wondering why the damn flash was not firing.......I forgot to slow my shutter speed down, even though I stopped it down a little.......I played it off well, like it was a malfunction.....

I don't get the joke!! Did you have the lens cap on? I have been meaning to switch to a SLR so that I don't make that mistake anymore.

GWC!

Jan 22 06 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Zunaphoto

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

There's an AWARD?????!!

Jan 22 06 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Dogbone Alt-Process

Llano, Texas, US

A minor brain fart indeed. You noticed the problem and corrected it. I've pulled worse technical goofs on my best days. The worst was during my very first shoot with a "real model." We were working with infrared film and I was so nervous I forgot to put on the red filter. The bright and unfiltered view through my SLR didn't sink in until the very end of the shoot. 

I wasn't sure how much I'd need to pull my development to salvage anything from the several rolls we shot, so I decided to sacrifice a foot or so of film as a test of development time and make corrections to the remaining rolls from those results. I had my fingers crossed when I pulled the film from the reel but it didn't help much. The film was completely blank, not even frame numbers. Yep, my developer had gone bad.

I did eventually manage to get enough printable frames from those rolls to make the shoot a worthwhile endeavor and learned some lessons from my errors.

Jan 22 06 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

And then having the gorgeus naked model standing there ..
STARING at you with that "can-I-help-you-dumb?" look does
not help either .. smile

Jan 22 06 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

GWC wrote:

I don't get the joke!! Did you have the lens cap on? I have been meaning to switch to a SLR so that I don't make that mistake anymore.

GWC!

I don't know who you are, but you really do help lighten the mood around here. lol

Jan 22 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

LOL.... at least you brought everything along..

One time, I had a commercial job, where I was hired to shoot PR shots all day long,...well, shortly after I arrived,...I realized that I left my cae of lights behind at my studio..which meant that I had to drive all the way back, grab the case,...then "fly" through heavier down town traffic which at this point was a lot heavier than when I went through the first time,..and then arrive, and set up my lights...by this time, someone from the office already photographed the people who were scheluled durring the time while I was out farting around in traffic with their point and shoot camera.. sad

I've learned since then,...to pack my gear the night before a morning shoot...because in the mornings, I'm just not all together enough to realize I'm missing something.. I usually get that .."sheeit..did I forget something" fear soon after I turn onto the Interstate....which by that time, I'll usually remember what key piece of equipment I forgot.. Never fails..  sad

So, perhaps I could stand with you while accepting that award!  smile

JP

Jan 22 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

Jay Farrell wrote:
I was shooting a new model, outdoors, in overcast conditions, f2.8, 1/500 shutter, was beautiful......the sun came out some, started to cause some shadowing, even though it was later afternoon......so......I got the telephoto lens and the flash, as a fill, and I stood there for like 2 minutes wondering why the damn flash was not firing.......I forgot to slow my shutter speed down, even though I stopped it down a little.......I played it off well, like it was a malfunction......but deep down I said to self.......FUCKING DUH!!

Ok, go ahead and laugh at me, LOL, though most of us do have brain farts.... ;-)

Congrats

Jan 22 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Richard Dubois wrote:
What does GWC stand for exactly?  If it's for f-ups on set, my worst one is not so bad, just timely in a prophetic way.

Well... the original meaning of the term describes a photographer on any level of photography (often sub par) who is using his camera as a tool to get laid, or at least to see girls nekkid that he wouldn't see normally.

It's an intention, of not creating a good photo, but to meet girls.

Hence the distinction between someone who is trying to create a photo, as a photographer... and some Guy With Camera, whose interest is mainly to get laid.

Unfortunatly, many people misunderstanding that term and equating it to an amateur level photographer, which is plainly wrong.

Jan 22 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

"Unfortunatly, many people, misunderstanding that term and equating it to an amateur level photographer, which is plainly wrong."

Oooopss thats me, Amatuer but NOT looking to get laid (my wife is with me as my "grip")...lol...

She's usually the one to tell ME to get a GRIP!!! 

Phew, not the infamous GWC!!!!

Jan 22 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Lewis Lam Photography

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

Yeh, don't put amateur level photographer to compare with my buddy GWC.

So as a buddy of GWC, will I get The GWC of The Day Award?

Jan 22 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Bodi

East Northport, New York, US

Thats not so bad. I had a casual shoot I was doing for a friend at her apartment. I set up my compact strobe kit and couldnt figure out why the flash wasnt working. I had forgot to plug the sync cable into my camera. We all have moments like that every now and then.

Jan 22 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Lo Fi Art

Alice Town, Biminis, Bahamas

I was going to shoot a show on night, and let's say I got tuned up before heading out to the venue.  The band hit the stage (on time for a change) and I realized that I had no film in the bag, not even loaded in the camera.  Very humbling (and humiliating) to call the record company and tell them I had no photos.

Of course I lied about why!

Jan 22 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Ok, my stupid technical blunder...

About 12 years ago, my massuese at the time, had asked me to take some boudoir photos of her as a present for her fiance, withwhom she was having a long-distance relationship at the time.

I was so rattled halfway into it, as a result of my gorgeous friend behaving so erotically, that I rewound the film but forgot to replace it with a new roll. I just shot the roll AGAIN arghhh.
The whole roll was double-exposed...

Boy did I feel like a total idiot. Luckly we shot about 8 rolls.

John

Jan 22 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I was shooting with my flashes one day, my hand hit the DOF button, and I thought I saw the flashes fire. So to test I held up the flash, hit the DOF button again, and blinded myself. Nice.

Jan 22 06 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Yay.. I feel better..  My last shoot, a group thing, I was so eager to test out some new prime lenses, I totally blanked out that I was shooting over my camera's max sync speed..  Shot about 3/4 of my shots with big black bars through them, and kept wondering where the hell the wall or pole was that was in the way of my shots or what was wrong with my Pocket Wizard..

Think I got about 2 decent shots out of the whole shoot (and that after much post work..)

Jan 22 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Well... the original meaning of the term describes a photographer on any level of photography (often sub par) who is using his camera as a tool to get laid, or at least to see girls nekkid that he wouldn't see normally.

It's an intention, of not creating a good photo, but to meet girls.

Hence the distinction between someone who is trying to create a photo, as a photographer... and some Guy With Camera, whose interest is mainly to get laid.

... Thanks for clearing that up.  My imagination got the best of me for a while there (Girl With... you get the picture).

Jan 22 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mcary

Fredericksburg, Virginia, US

Jay Farrell wrote:

That's nothing I fired off 15 frames of Provia before I looked over and notice that my wireless trigger was still on my 20D and not on the camera I was shooting with, big DUHHH.

Jan 22 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

John Allan wrote:
Ok, my stupid technical blunder...

About 12 years ago, my massuese at the time, had asked me to take some boudoir photos of her as a present for her fiance, withwhom she was having a long-distance relationship at the time.

I was so rattled halfway into it, as a result of my gorgeous friend behaving so erotically, that I rewound the film but forgot to replace it with a new roll. I just shot the roll AGAIN arghhh.
The whole roll was double-exposed...

Boy did I feel like a total idiot. Luckly we shot about 8 rolls.

John

Hey John -- I got this one beat!

On my Nikon N90s I have an M26 (I think) data back. One of its functions is it allows the camera to take double exposures. One day I was trying this function out and had the databack set for double exposure. We ended the photo session, and I put everything away. Later, I photographed a friend's wedding, and then I did some jewlery photography for another friend's catalog and website. And, in addition to all this I did a very nice figure photo session about 2 1/2 hours away from my hosue with a new model. Because of lack of money, I didn't get a chance to develop any of the film for a few weeks, so it sat in my frig. Well, when I finally did get it developed I discovered that I never turned off the double exposure feature, and I managed to ruin everything I took. None of the photos were usuable, and they all ended up in the trash. Talk about feeling completely stupid...

Having done all that, the results weren't really as bad as I had thought. The marriage of my friend only lasted six months, the people selling jewlery got divorced and so never really needed the photos, and I reshot with the model and got some good photos (although the first attempt were much better). So, I guess if you don't consider two divorces a bad thing it was all good...  Do'h!

It is for this reason, and others, that I'm far too frightened to shoot a wedding.

-Pat-

Jan 22 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

BTW -- On the reshoot the model got stung on her nose by a bumblebee. The really cool thing about her was she didn't flinch; she took out a peach, put it on the sting, and after about 30 minutes we were back to shooting with no redness or swelling. Apparantly peaches counter bee venom; I had never heard of this before but it sure seemed to have worked.

-P-

Jan 22 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Things To Look At

New York, New York, US

Oh... "Guy With Camera"  so I can stop wondering what the "Gay White Christian" award statuette's would look like.

Jan 22 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Lewis Lam Photography

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

I accidentally put my panoramic view on my 135 camera once and didn't know that until after shooting 3 rolls of film.  All the images were cropped out!  Only a few pics can be used...

Jan 22 06 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

You guys got nothing. I know a guy that fixed four rolls (out of ten rolls shot) before he had developed them. Just clear strips, baby. Not that I have ever done something so idiotic . . .

Jan 23 06 02:14 am Link