Forums > Photography Talk > How can I get this effect ???

Photographer

Charles Dias

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

Hi,

I need some advice how can I get this light effect:

http://www.charlesdias.net/7572758.jpg

It looks like the effect of a very very big in camera flash but I couldn't find out what is this light soluction exactly ... but I like it.

Advices with practical exemples are welcome.

Yours,

Charles

Jan 22 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

need a bigger image to tell for sure but looks like a ringlight on camera and seperate background lights.

Jan 22 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Zero Dean

San Diego, California, US

Looks like it would be easy enough to do any number of ways. Though it looks like a single light source to me. Hard to really tell without a larger image.

What exactly is the "effect" that *you* see in the photo... because I don't see much worth duplicating. There are so many more interesting lighting effects... Just my 2 cents.

If it's the reflection in the glasses you're talking about... it could be a gradient on the glasses or it could be a real reflection (hard to tell at that size)... or it could be photoshopped.

Jan 22 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Elin Striga

Örebro, Örebro, Sweden

Hard to tell from that small pic but it looks like Photoshop to me. And built in flash on a compact camera.

Jan 22 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Thje image is too small to really tell, but it could be clamshell lighting with the key above camera axis and fill below.

Jan 22 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

joe snow

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

7' Octabank

Jan 22 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

well here is my 2 cents worth....
possibly could have been done with a flash, don't recall name of it, that is about
8-10 inch dish, that i think was camera mounted. huge guide number. i saw a dude here last, yr at superbowl, had one , was doing  some stuff for Life or Look or some magazine. they aren't cheap,  i think about $1000.00 or so.
the other possibilty, is an umbrella just above camera/photog, have done this my self.

anyone else think of anything that it might could be???

Jan 22 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Charles Dias wrote:
Hi,

It looks like the effect of a very very big in camera flash but I couldn't find out what is this light soluction exactly ... but I like it.

Yours,

Charles

just try not to replicate the styling on the shot....

Jan 22 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

It looks like on-camera flash to me.  It's very flat.  What do you like about it?

Paul

Jan 22 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Photowerk

Very easy .... Follow these steps:

1) Call the same model.
2) Get good MUA.

How easy can it be !!!  lol

No seriously ... Like everybody else says, the pic is really small ...

Hint ... 1 light source reflect in her sunglasses ... and there seems to be a shadow behind the model, to our left .. Light source is probably from umberella ( too harsh to be softbox ! ) at model eye level .

Easy to duplicate if your master studio lights ... 

Good luck

Jan 22 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Far West Imaging

Laguna Hills, California, US

Pic is too small to tell.

Jan 22 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

David Anthony wrote:
7' Octabank

LMAO

Jan 23 06 12:20 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Chip Willis wrote:
need a bigger image to tell for sure but looks like a ringlight on camera and seperate background lights.

ditto

Jan 23 06 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Christine Cox

Los Angeles, California, US

Charles Dias wrote:
Hi,

Yours,

Charles

Jan 23 06 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Christine Cox

Los Angeles, California, US

Probably a ring flash

Jan 23 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

joe snow

Hey Leo....ever hear of a Profoto 7' Reflector (Cat #505-411) with no silk on the front, but bare silver???  Didn't think so.  We use that alot in NY to create this type of look.  I personally don't think it's a ringlight because there is shadow on the bottom right of the photo, and a ringlight creates a "halo" shadow around the entire person/subject....EVEN with additional lights on the background.  A ringlight also creates TWO circular reflections in the glasses.  Yes the other one could have been retouched out, but I don't think so because the one light that does show in her glasses, is at quite a distance.  However, IF a ringlight was used my other option would be the Profoto ringlight with the softlight reflector to the left of the model and not directly in front of the camera (again the shadow in the bottom right).

Jan 23 06 01:58 am Link

Photographer

Mark Coleman

Portland, Oregon, US

dude, like rent a ringflash, or make a circle or diamond shaped cluster of lights and shoot through the middle.

you owe me dawg!

Jan 23 06 02:01 am Link

Photographer

joe snow

I apoligize Leo, that wasn't nice of me.

Jan 23 06 02:16 am Link

Photographer

Wilger Iglesias

Miami, Florida, US

Jan 23 06 02:21 am Link

Photographer

Wilger Iglesias

Miami, Florida, US

Hi there! I think you need a big ring flash atached to your camera and that's it,
Willy.

Jan 23 06 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Wilger Iglesias

Miami, Florida, US

pixphotopix wrote:
Hi there! I think you need a big ring flash atached to your camera and that's it,
Willy.

Jan 23 06 02:27 am Link

Photographer

michaelinfinity

San Jose, California, US

1. That isnt a ring.
2. Its flat and lacks depth.
3. the histogram on this should show the whites to be off the Richter.
4. The reflection in the right eye is indicative of a single light source, definitely not a riing, medium to high intensity softbox or a flash with a diffuser. Thats why the shadow intensity isnt as strong/harsh as it could be.
5. The light is also flat and even on the model with the main reflection on the models face and shoulder. This is a soft box effect. If it was a flash, the light source would have created the same effect on her hair on her left. There is no relflection so its unlikely.
6. If this image was edited in photoshop the work was minimal at most. Maybe in reduction of the outer shadow area. I need alarger image to see what was done though.

Last but not least....not to take away from the model....she's definitely cute in this photo but there isn't much to duplicating this light effect. Moreover its plain for a 1/2 body shot. Cant see the eyes, the pinks are blown out, and the white is so intense the texture of her beautiful looking skin is lost.

Well that's what I know about this....I think....so.

Jan 23 06 02:42 am Link