Forums > Photography Talk > lap top suggestions??

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

LEO LOVES LEGS: what should I get, read a few postings back it says what I need it for

Jan 26 06 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

My gateway was rather cheaply built. It's big, so it doesn't travel well, but it performs great.

My fujitsu is built wonderfully. I have been ultra brutal to it, and it works like a charm. I don't like the smaller screen/keyboard, but it travels better than the gateway.

If you don't need to travel with it often, I would go with a larger screen/keyboard. Try either Acer, Fujitsu, HP with an AMD 25w Turion (sp?).

Jan 26 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

lll wrote:
Note that with laptops you are indeed paying more for less performance, especially with Photoshop, or any high memory usage software, use (because you only have one harddrive for both program and scratch-disk).  With Mac, you are even paying more for less performance because of the emotional factor and aesthetics.

This statement isn't entirely true. What happens with a mobile processor is that you take a 1-2 step DT improvement, and lower the power consumption. I don't know the exact equivalents, but a 2000mhz DT would be an 1800mhz mobile.

Therefore you pay for a 2000mhz processor, with 1800mhz performance.

Jan 26 06 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

starmodels wrote:
This statement isn't entirely true. What happens with a mobile processor is that you take a 1-2 step DT improvement, and lower the power consumption. I don't know the exact equivalents, but a 2000mhz DT would be an 1800mhz mobile.

Hold on, what did you disagree with me?  You just agreed with my statements...

Anyway, a few things:
1)  Performance of a processor is NOT measured by the clock speed.  Even Intel has stopped that misleading marketing method.
2)  By DT you mean "Data Transfer"?  Mobile processors (at least at Intel) generally just use a very similar core and most of the time "tuned down" to reduce power dissipation (and consumption) to reduce temperature rise, since ventilation is at a premium with a laptop, especially when it's sitting on a "lap".
3)  Differences in speed for the same processor came out of testing after manufacturing, not design difference for the same generation/core processors.

Therefore you pay for a 2000mhz processor, with 1800mhz performance.

Err...then you have just agreed with me.  More money for less performance.  That's all I said.

A desktop is always cheaper for the same level of performance.

On top of that, desktop harddrives, performance-wise, dollar for dollar, are way superior than laptops, although they cannot take much shock to die.  But that's what your desks are for.  smile

Jan 26 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoMotion

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mac all The way, MAC MAC MAC.... There is no Substitue!
Macbook Pro, 1 gig of Ram and that's all you need... MAC!

Jan 26 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

PhotoMotion wrote:
Mac all The way, MAC MAC MAC.... There is no Substitue!
Macbook Pro, 1 gig of Ram and that's all you need... MAC!

Such unsubstantiated emotion.  smile  Nothing wrong with that.

Did you ask Steve Jobs to send you a check for free advertising?

Jan 26 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

Leo is wrong He is an engineer so don't listen to him he will fill your mind full of weird stuff like numbers and gagla bloob!  smile

Get the Macbook it is fast, has the best OS in the world, super stable and no problems with viruses. No stupid so 1990's defragging (windows is so way behind on that) No reformatting every other month Macs just work.

Get a new Powermac G5 quad processor (dual core) to go with it and the 30" cinema display.... ..oh sorry just dreaming here. smile

Jan 26 06 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

MichaelC wrote:
Wait a minute, Ama, if the main reason for getting a laptop is to be able to dump image files off of your memory cards, don't get a laptop.

Really. Those who've said things about how they are less powerful and more expensive and take a lot more abuse than desktops are right. And if what you want it for is to free up memory cards, and maybe look at/review photos, then save yourself both money and trouble and buy one of the hard drives with card readers built in. I bought a 40 Gb Epson P2000 last year for $500. It is about twice the size of a pack of cigarettes, has a beautiful 4 inch LCD screen, and slots for either CF or SD memory cards. It'll download a Gig of photos off a card in a few minutes, and will allow you to look at the images, as well as zoom in to see fine detail. Finally, the battery will last long enough to download a dozen 1 gig cards, so I don't even bother taking the power brick along. I believe the price is down a bit on the 40 Gb model, and there is a new 60 Gb one now too.

Oh, and it'll play your MP3s, too. Even make a slide show complete with zooms and pans, automatically, while playing music of your choice. Great for quickly showing the natives why you are taking photos.

I have the P2000, and I LOVE IT!

It's great for going on location, and keeps me from having to lug my laptop around. Matter of fact, I may end up getting a new desktop, and using the laptop strictly for travel purposes.

I initially bought my laptop for storing (and processing) images from my shoots. Over the years, I found that I've been using it mainly to store images (until I got my P2000). I can process my images when I get home, and the model/client can view the pictures on the spot, if necessary. The download time isn't that bad, either.

Jan 27 06 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Ama Lea

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

lll wrote:

Ama, I guess you have already made up your mind on the Mac before you came in here.  But in case you are interested in a strictly engineering point of view, I will give you a little.

Before Apple gave up on the PowerPC chip from IBM, their chip and accompanying chipsets are by far inferior than the Intel/AMD ones.  Those who think the G4 and G5 are even "equivalent" to the Intel chips are saying that based on no substantiating data, and mostly emotionally driven.  What Apple does well is software and human interface, and they made OS X a more efficient operating system than Windows (which is not very efficient in many ways).  With Linux on an Intel/AMD chip, performance-wise it will blow any Apple away.  Remember, I am talking strictly in engineering terms.

The components inside a laptop, Mac or PC based, share a lot in common.  Memory, harddrives, graphics chips, are all made by just a few manufacturers, so reliability is actually similar.  Any claim to superiority is heresay, based on research done on these machines.  If you take care of your possession, even the cheapest laptops can last a long time.

I don't know what evidence your professors based their suggestions on purchasing a Mac, other than because he/she grew up/learned with a Mac.  It is part of all computer/OS (particularly Microsoft and Apple) manufacturer's marketing scheme.  People like to stick to what they learned on, and resist change.  Do you really think that Dell donated all those computers to universities as a "good-will" gesture?  Even my students, ENGINEERING students, get disillusioned into believing that Dell makes "better" computers, knowing full well that the innards are similar to anything else.

Now back to your original question.  Laptop recommendation.

First you need to ask yourself: what are you going to use it for?  Before you can answer that question, no one can, or should, even give you what you should be looking for.  As a power user myself, I even run simulations on a laptop, and it is not "high-end" by any measure.  I just know very clearly what specifications I need, and bought what I needed with the least money required.  If you could kindly list what you plan on using this laptop for, maybe we can give you better recommendations.

Note that with laptops you are indeed paying more for less performance, especially with Photoshop, or any high memory usage software, use (because you only have one harddrive for both program and scratch-disk).  With Mac, you are even paying more for less performance because of the emotional factor and aesthetics.

Regarding extended warranty: it is not worth it.  Research has shown that the cost of such policies far outweighs the chance of one's need to really use that insurance/warranty.  This is based on strong statistical evidence.  But if you are really into it, by all means.  Your peace of mind can be worth a lot of money, I don't know.

Hope this helps you frame your purchase better.

As far as having my mind made up I think I made it clear I was looking for a mac.. but there are so many versions and such I didn't know if there was a difference. Thank you, your post has been the most useful.

Jan 27 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Ama wrote:
As far as having my mind made up I think I made it clear I was looking for a mac.. but there are so many versions and such I didn't know if there was a difference. Thank you, your post has been the most useful.

Glad to be of assistance.  I wasn't sure that you made it clear you were looking for a Mac specifically (you said "which lap top should I get", and was considering "Dell").  So there went my long-winded, strictly non-emotional reply.  smile

Now, if you are fixed on getting a Mac, don't bother with the G-processors.  Go straight to the new Intel-based ones.  The OS X finally has a proper processor, though still not amazing, to unleash its real power.  I bet you would love it to the core.

Get extra RAM, regardless of what it comes with, because you would want to limit the use of the scratch disk (effectively virtual memory).  Also, Ama, since you are a student, you qualify for rather substantial student discount.  Make sure you buy through Apple's Education program.

http://www.apple.com/education/shop/

Hope this helps.  Enjoy your new toy.  smile

Jan 27 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

Well a proper processor in the laptops, the G5 towers perform extremely well but use to much power and run to hot for laptops.

Remember when you get your lap top OSX needs lots and lots of memory. OSX has a very  modern caching scheme much better than windows but if your low on memory then performance drops drastically. Laptops already have slower hard drives so make sure you max the memory if you can.

Jan 27 06 02:33 pm Link