Forums > Photography Talk > lap top suggestions??

Photographer

Ama Lea

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I am now looking at finally getting one.. mostly because my boyfriend is sick of me working on his computer all the time. I know Macs are the way to go but what one did everyone get?? I am computer dumb i just need to know what size screen and how much memory i should get!

Jan 25 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

depends on what you can afford, 15.4 screen works well for me, travels ok, got a gig and a  100 gig , dvd burner, couple of usb ports , and look for wireless as well, i use a dell , as seen on all the series 8 episodes of stargate [lol] owned it almost 12 months, trouble free, fast as.

Jan 25 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

I just picked up a Gateway with an AMD 64 bit processor, ready for future 64 bit operating systems... 1 gig of ram... 100 gig drive... 128meg video card... SD & Compact Flash card readers built in... 17inch wide screen... 2 USB's... wireless internet... sucker is BLAZINGLY fast... surfs the net at lightning speed... but it does slow down just slightly at one place... Model Mayhem's server... LOL... wink  Was on sale at Best Buy for $300 off... $1299.

Jan 25 06 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Wayne M Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

I just purchased a Gateway from BestBuy last week. AMD 64 Athlon 3400+ processor/15.4" WXGA TFT-LCD widescreen/512MB ram (128 alloted to Video)/80 GB hard drive/Dual Sided DVD Burner/Compact Flash and SD card readers built in/4 USB/1394 Firewire/Wireless Internet.
Will look to upgrade ram to 1GB, but it's been great...can't seem to put it down, just loving it. Paid $849.99

Jan 25 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I agree with the Athlon 64 system. I build my image editing desktop with that as the core. (I think my next machine will be dual core).

If you are just looking to have a machine to putz around on then it shouldn't matter what you buy.

If you are looking to do image editing on it then you need to pay attention to

- the processor (IMHO, AMD are better than Intel for video intensive application)
- LCD screen quality (you want to be able to calibrate this and get color accurate)
- video card (the determining factor in screen performance - cheaper the laptop the worse it performs, usually due to a poor video card)
- RAM capasity (Photoshop does well with 1 gig of RAM, the more the better)
- Hard drive (you will be surprised how fast this fills up with images)
- ports (I have 4 usb 2.0 port on my current laptop I wish I had a firewire port)
- battery life
-weight (if you travel a lot or are on the go 7lb may not seem heavy but it gets that way quickly after a block or two of walking)

Hope this helps

Jan 25 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

I would look at Dell or HP 15'' Laptops the best price changes weekly(Factory refurbished are good deals with HP @ www.hpshopping.com).

Price... try not to spend more than $800. (it will be outdated when you open the box)  AMD 64 or Pentium processors are good safe choices.

Bare bone features: MHz speed as fast as your budget permits.
Built in wireless LAN, DVD +/-RW drive, 512Mb memory, HD 40GB (the more you can afford the better RAM & Hard drive memory),
USB 2 ports ( at least 2) & a firewire port is a bonus.

I tell all my friends that your first PC or Laptop should be a Windows machine. Let Mac be your #2.  I have both but nowadays most items are marketed for Windows.

Jan 25 06 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

Just saw this on the HP Web site when I typed Refurbished notebook. I have seen them cheaper in early January.

Presario V2410us Notebook PC, refurbished 3-D           Compaq Presario V2410us Notebook PC, refurbished
Price: $839.99*
As low as $26/mo†

* • AMD Mobile Turion 64 ml-30 processor with PowerNow! technology (1.6GHz)
    * • Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2
    * • 512MB DDR SDRAM
    * • 80GB hard drive
    * • Double-layer DVD±R/RW and CD-RW combo drive
    * • 14" WXGA high-definition widescreen display (BrightView)
    * • ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M IGP graphics
    * • 54g integrated 802.11b/g wireless LAN
    * • 6-in-1 digital media card reader
    * • 90-day limited warranty

Jan 25 06 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I won`t touch a Mac. Funny thing is they are pretty much equal now as they are starting to use the pentium processors in them now,lol.
I have a Gateway Tablet with a swivelling monitor that you can turn around and reclose, write on the screen with a stylus pen, edit photos, video,etc.
I absolutely love it. We got it when it first came out and had to wait a month to get it in our hands. At the time it was about 3 grand but we got it fully loaded with all options and a 5 year warranty that covers everything, even accidental damage,loss or theft.

Jan 25 06 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

The first thing I'd suggest is to ask yourself if you really need a laptop.  Most of the setups mentioned here are positively puny compared to most desktop machines.  With a laptop, you pay more and get less.  So consider.

Paul

Jan 26 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Paul Ferrara wrote:
The first thing I'd suggest is to ask yourself if you really need a laptop.  Most of the setups mentioned here are positively puny compared to most desktop machines.  With a laptop, you pay more and get less.  So consider.

Paul

This laptop I have, the top level Gateway Tablet is by no means puny in size or power.Not only that, I once dropped it one the edge of a curb one night and crushed the side of the body, plastic pieces everywhere, and it STILL runs like brand new.

Jan 26 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Well, maybe it isn't but you paid $3K for it.  My desktop is rather puny by desktop standards but it has 2Gb of RAM, two S-ATA drives (1 80Gb and 1 250Gb), a third 60Gb drive, and a fast video card with 128Mb of RAM on it.  I think it cost me about $1200.

Paul

Jan 26 06 12:25 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

One word.

Toshiba

Jan 26 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

David Scherer

Unless you need something to show clients photos in the field or on location without making them squint to see photos on a 2.0" Camera LCD, a laptop isn't worth the money. It's a monney grabber.

Desktop computers have gone down in price in the last few years. Here in Canada you can get a desktop computer that has everything you need to edit photos power wise for $500.00. You can use the money you saved to pick up copies of software like Photoshop and extra options which always cost more on laptops.

If you do decide to purchase a laptop, I can only say one thing...Extended Warranty! Extended Warranty! Extended Warranty!

I can't stress it enough. Laptops get more wear and tear then desktops for good reason and parts are insanely priced. Replacement LCD = $500.00 Minimum. Replacement Battery = $300.00 Minimum. Replacement Optical Drive = $275.00 Minimum. You get the idea. A $200 - $300.00 investment in warranty services will save you major headaches.

Jan 26 06 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

David Scherer wrote:
. Replacement LCD = $500.00 Minimum.

Ouch, what laptop do you own? Mine was about the most expensive there was at the time and the monitor replacement would only cost me 75 bucks if I didnt have the warranty on it that covers literally everything. And I can write on my LCD and edit photos,etc.

Jan 26 06 02:16 am Link

Photographer

David Scherer

That's direct from OEM. Ie; there is labour costs in that price too. And shipping. Otherwise you risk voiding warranty (if it's still under one). As an example, my friend owns an Acer Ferrari notebook. If he ruins the LCD on his, he might as well buy another laptop, not worth replacing.

Jan 26 06 02:23 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

bencook2 wrote:
One word.

Toshiba

Exactly

Jan 26 06 02:30 am Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

I'd suggest a small dog.  A big dog simply gets too heavy for your lap.

Jan 26 06 02:32 am Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

David Scherer wrote:
I can't stress it enough. Laptops get more wear and tear then desktops for good reason and parts are insanely priced. Replacement LCD = $500.00 Minimum. Replacement Battery = $300.00 Minimum. Replacement Optical Drive = $275.00 Minimum. You get the idea. A $200 - $300.00 investment in warranty services will save you major headaches.

WOW! I just want to let you know that you are being ripped off worse than anyone I've ever herad of before if you are paying those prices for those parts. The only one you even came close to a legitimate price on was the LCD. Trust me... if you pay $300 for a battery YOU ARE AN IDIOT! Sorry if that sounds harsh, but someone needs to let you know:)

Jan 26 06 04:38 am Link

Photographer

Ama Lea

whoever asked if i need one, I do. I am booked pretty much every day and only have a few cards for my digital so I have to come straight home and empty the cards onto my desktop then go back to the studio.. 20 minutes both ways. All of my professors have screamed Macs... which is why I posed the question since I mostly have used pcs. If I do buy one I'm going to do it right.. no bargain names... nothing under 1200 and it will have warranties, insurance etc. So basically I will custom order my own dell or get an ibook..

Jan 26 06 07:30 am Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

Apple just put out a Mac that has an Intel Chip in it...
Four times as fast as a normal Powerbook G4 and works with windows programs...

Jan 26 06 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Wait a minute, Ama, if the main reason for getting a laptop is to be able to dump image files off of your memory cards, don't get a laptop.

Really. Those who've said things about how they are less powerful and more expensive and take a lot more abuse than desktops are right. And if what you want it for is to free up memory cards, and maybe look at/review photos, then save yourself both money and trouble and buy one of the hard drives with card readers built in. I bought a 40 Gb Epson P2000 last year for $500. It is about twice the size of a pack of cigarettes, has a beautiful 4 inch LCD screen, and slots for either CF or SD memory cards. It'll download a Gig of photos off a card in a few minutes, and will allow you to look at the images, as well as zoom in to see fine detail. Finally, the battery will last long enough to download a dozen 1 gig cards, so I don't even bother taking the power brick along. I believe the price is down a bit on the 40 Gb model, and there is a new 60 Gb one now too.

Oh, and it'll play your MP3s, too. Even make a slide show complete with zooms and pans, automatically, while playing music of your choice. Great for quickly showing the natives why you are taking photos.

Jan 26 06 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Memory is the most important thing for photogaphers... you need something that can be used to edit, render and work with images effectively.  Disk space is not as important as it used to be as you can get a reasonably cheap USB hard drive to increase disk space easily enough.

Also, it is a big plus to get one with a CD burner in it as well.  This will also help ease the disk space issue.

Jan 26 06 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Michael is right.. If your main purpose is to dump media, the Epson viewer is the best way to go. It also allows you to view RAW files, too.

If a laptop is what you want, I'd go with a Mac.. I use both systems daily and find I have more work completed on the Mac then the Winbox.. Less crashes and freezes and when a freeze does occur with my Mac, rarely, I can exit the program MUCH faster then the Winbox.. And as someone mentioned, they are now being shipped with Intel chips. And rumour has it, it's running windows programs without a problem.. Personally, I have found Macs OS X Tiger, to be the most stable OP system around...

JMHO...

Jan 26 06 08:05 am Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

I have an Apple 12" Powerbook.  It is VERY small and works like a horse.  I LOVE it.

If you prefer a Windows based machine I'd recommend Toshiba.  They are really great quality.  I've used just about every brand and operating system out there and its really a matter of "to each their own."  Try to figure out the characteristics between the brands and then decide what your priorities are. 

Be careful when comparing the specs between Apple/Windows.  It really is apples and oranges and they are not entirely comparable.  It may be better to compare real world tests of processes and applications.

I use an Apple because it is the best choice for what I do. 

Best of luck deciding!

Jan 26 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I'd pick up a Mac G4 iBook.

Better imagery, better quality, better warranty, less viruses, better graphics and more "photographer friendly". 

I love mine and won’t look back.

Jan 26 06 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Ama wrote:
whoever asked if i need one, I do. I am booked pretty much every day and only have a few cards for my digital so I have to come straight home and empty the cards onto my desktop then go back to the studio.. 20 minutes both ways. All of my professors have screamed Macs... which is why I posed the question since I mostly have used pcs. If I do buy one I'm going to do it right.. no bargain names... nothing under 1200 and it will have warranties, insurance etc. So basically I will custom order my own dell or get an ibook..

Last time I checked, a few CF cards were a lot less expensive than a laptop. wink  But if you're spending a lot of time at your bf's, that's one good reason for getting one.

Paul

Jan 26 06 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Ama Lea

C R Photography wrote:
I'd pick up a Mac G4 iBook.

Better imagery, better quality, better warranty, less viruses, better graphics and more "photographer friendly". 

I love mine and won’t look back.

thank you

Jan 26 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

i had a very bad experience with sony.  seems they like to continue using motherboards that are known to be defective.  i'd stay away from them.

a note on lcds:  last year i did some research on this topic, and found that virtually no pc laptops had sufficient quality for a good color workflow.  macs may be different - i don't know.  things may have changed since then, but i doubt it.

Jan 26 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

David Scherer

By the way, the prices I was quoting are Canadian $.

Us Canadians don't get the fancy deals you Americans get on stuff.

Jan 26 06 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Imagemakersphoto

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

I have used a 17" Mac G4 Powerbook for several years now when I am on locations. I also can hook it up to my 20" Cinama display for a better monitor when not on location. I have 1 Gig of RAM and an 80 MB HD. I love it. it is a good work horse and is fast. I would like to ad some more RAM. I use an external hard drive to archive my photos (as well as on DVD). I have never had a problem and love it. The 17" is nice for the added screen size when working, but the 15" is less expensive, but when I have used one I feel cramped with the space.

Jan 26 06 06:15 pm Link

Model

leah marsh

Long Beach, California, US

Definitely an Apple Powerbook (you know, the slick looking ones.. smile

I have a 12" and 15" Powerbook (also a 23" display)
12" is convenient, but if I had to pick, I'd get the 15".. it's not too big or small.

Standard memory is decent depending on what you're doing- although I've recently purchased more. Also, I'd suggest getting the AppleCare..

If you know anybody that is a student, they get a student discount of 15% off, try online and you just need their name and school, no id... smile

Jan 26 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

I've been using a Mac 12" powerbook for three years now, and love it... small, portable, durable, reliable, intuitive to use.  It's interesting that yesterday I was in one of the trendier/edgier coffeehouses in San Francisco and macs outnumbered pc's easily among the counterculture kids there.

Currently, the main decisions on macs involve 1) the new intel chip vs the older chip, they are early in the transition now; and the size of the screen, basically it's compact/lightweight vs. easier to see but more $$$.  My 12"  travels well but I tend to use a 20" desktop iMac for editing when at home because of the larger screen.

With the iBook, the 12" model with the older G4 chip is $999 in base form and generally has gotten better reviews than it's 14" cousin.  With Powerbooks, 12" - 15" - 17" versions all have their advantages and disadvantages but are all very good machines and range from around $1400 to around $3K.  Some powerbooks are now out with the new Intel chip.

All of the powerbooks will link to a larger external monitor... a plus especially for the 12".  Not sure about the iBooks without looking.

Jan 26 06 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Ama wrote:
thank you

Ama, I guess you have already made up your mind on the Mac before you came in here.  But in case you are interested in a strictly engineering point of view, I will give you a little.

Before Apple gave up on the PowerPC chip from IBM, their chip and accompanying chipsets are by far inferior than the Intel/AMD ones.  Those who think the G4 and G5 are even "equivalent" to the Intel chips are saying that based on no substantiating data, and mostly emotionally driven.  What Apple does well is software and human interface, and they made OS X a more efficient operating system than Windows (which is not very efficient in many ways).  With Linux on an Intel/AMD chip, performance-wise it will blow any Apple away.  Remember, I am talking strictly in engineering terms.

The components inside a laptop, Mac or PC based, share a lot in common.  Memory, harddrives, graphics chips, are all made by just a few manufacturers, so reliability is actually similar.  Any claim to superiority is heresay, based on research done on these machines.  If you take care of your possession, even the cheapest laptops can last a long time.

I don't know what evidence your professors based their suggestions on purchasing a Mac, other than because he/she grew up/learned with a Mac.  It is part of all computer/OS (particularly Microsoft and Apple) manufacturer's marketing scheme.  People like to stick to what they learned on, and resist change.  Do you really think that Dell donated all those computers to universities as a "good-will" gesture?  Even my students, ENGINEERING students, get disillusioned into believing that Dell makes "better" computers, knowing full well that the innards are similar to anything else.

Now back to your original question.  Laptop recommendation.

First you need to ask yourself: what are you going to use it for?  Before you can answer that question, no one can, or should, even give you what you should be looking for.  As a power user myself, I even run simulations on a laptop, and it is not "high-end" by any measure.  I just know very clearly what specifications I need, and bought what I needed with the least money required.  If you could kindly list what you plan on using this laptop for, maybe we can give you better recommendations.

Note that with laptops you are indeed paying more for less performance, especially with Photoshop, or any high memory usage software, use (because you only have one harddrive for both program and scratch-disk).  With Mac, you are even paying more for less performance because of the emotional factor and aesthetics.

Regarding extended warranty: it is not worth it.  Research has shown that the cost of such policies far outweighs the chance of one's need to really use that insurance/warranty.  This is based on strong statistical evidence.  But if you are really into it, by all means.  Your peace of mind can be worth a lot of money, I don't know.

Hope this helps you frame your purchase better.

Jan 26 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

MARK VASION

I buy 50 laptops a year for my imaging company. Belive me I have researched this.
   Your going to think my answer is insane but based on the crazy refurb answers...this is the best , lightest, XBRITE available....WALMART $950 TOSHIBA XBRITE 512 K, 80G.HD, CD/DVD, 801G PENTIUM 4!

Jan 26 06 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

fotorat

London, England, United Kingdom

forget about the lap top and get a few lap dances.........................

Jan 26 06 07:55 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

lll wrote:

First you need to ask yourself: what are you going to use it for?  Before you can answer that question, no one can, or should, even give you what you should be looking for.  As a power user myself, I even run simulations on a laptop, and it is not "high-end" by any measure.  I just know very clearly what specifications I need, and bought what I needed with the least money required.  If you could kindly list what you plan on using this laptop for, maybe we can give you better recommendations.

ok Leo I am also in the market for a laptop,

I need it for photo-editing, I can store images, I need it to run fast and have wireless and bluetooth, I am working on a regular basis with a photographer that has a Mac so  I also need to be able to connect to his Mac and my PC

Jan 26 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

lll wrote:

What Apple does well is software and human interface, and they made OS X a more efficient operating system than Windows (which is not very efficient in many ways).

You've summed up an important point.

On a mac, my experience is fluid, intuitive.  I'm thinking about what I'm doing, not about the computer.  That's because of an effective OS.

On a pc (at the office), because I do things not typical of the population at large, I'm constantly frustrated by Windows.  Thus, the pc experience is not fun for me, or for many other creative types.  I'm sure it's fine for many who do more predictable work patterns... but some software engineer simply anticipated workflow patterns that are very unlike what I do.  It's the OS that makes that difference, much more than the hardware.

Jan 26 06 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

c s e

Los Angeles, California, US

lll wrote:

Ama, I guess you have already made up your mind on the Mac before you came in here.  But in case you are interested in a strictly engineering point of view, I will give you a little.

Before Apple gave up on the PowerPC chip from IBM, their chip and accompanying chipsets are by far inferior than the Intel/AMD ones.  Those who think the G4 and G5 are even "equivalent" to the Intel chips are saying that based on no substantiating data, and mostly emotionally driven.  What Apple does well is software and human interface, and they made OS X a more efficient operating system than Windows (which is not very efficient in many ways).  With Linux on an Intel/AMD chip, performance-wise it will blow any Apple away.  Remember, I am talking strictly in engineering terms.

The components inside a laptop, Mac or PC based, share a lot in common.  Memory, harddrives, graphics chips, are all made by just a few manufacturers, so reliability is actually similar.  Any claim to superiority is heresay, based on research done on these machines.  If you take care of your possession, even the cheapest laptops can last a long time.

I don't know what evidence your professors based their suggestions on purchasing a Mac, other than because he/she grew up/learned with a Mac.  It is part of all computer/OS (particularly Microsoft and Apple) manufacturer's marketing scheme.  People like to stick to what they learned on, and resist change.  Do you really think that Dell donated all those computers to universities as a "good-will" gesture?  Even my students, ENGINEERING students, get disillusioned into believing that Dell makes "better" computers, knowing full well that the innards are similar to anything else.

Note that with laptops you are indeed paying more for less performance, especially with Photoshop, or any high memory usage software, use (because you only have one harddrive for both program and scratch-disk).  With Mac, you are even paying more for less performance because of the emotional factor and aesthetics.

Regarding extended warranty: it is not worth it.  Research has shown that the cost of such policies far outweighs the chance of one's need to really use that insurance/warranty.  This is based on strong statistical evidence.  But if you are really into it, by all means.  Your peace of mind can be worth a lot of money, I don't know.

you may be right about paying more for a mac for less performance.  i wouldn't know.  the 'mac vs. pc' debate is as old (and futile) as 'nikon vs. canon'.  most people will go with what they started with.  i have always used macs, and have never seen a pc outside a modeling agency.  at least in los angeles, 'creatives' use macs.  go to any advertising agency, photographer's studio or photography set.  you will not see a pc on the camera assistant's cart.  if the original poster is buying a mac, i would urge them to spend a little extra for the powerbook over the ibook.  powerbooks are more durable, and have a better keyboard.  also, i opted not to purchase applecare for my most recent laptop, but at $50. per call to customer care (once the warranty wears out), it might be worth it.  it certainly was worth it for my ipod.  after a year of troublesome 40GBs, apple sent me a 60GB video ipod gratis.  i heart apple, and am not ashamed to be a shill for them.  one more thing, regarding leo's posting: "What Apple does well is software and human interface, and they made OS X a more efficient operating system than Windows (which is not very efficient in many ways)."  well said.  buy a mac.  you will be very pleased.

Jan 26 06 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

craig wrote:
you may be right about paying more for a mac for less performance.  i wouldn't know.  the 'mac vs. pc' debate is as old (and futile) as 'nikon vs. canon'.  most people will go with what they started with.  i have always used macs, and have never seen a pc outside a modeling agency.  at least in los angeles, 'creatives' use macs.  go to any advertising agency, photographer's studio or photography set.  you will not see a pc on the camera assistant's cart.  if the original poster is buying a mac, i would urge them to spend a little extra for the powerbook over the ibook.  powerbooks are more durable, and have a better keyboard.  also, i opted not to purchase applecare for my most recent laptop, but at $50. per call to customer care (once the warranty wears out), it might be worth it.  it certainly was worth it for my ipod.  after a year of troublesome 40GBs, apple sent me a 60GB video ipod gratis.  i heart apple, and am not ashamed to be a shill for them.  one more thing, regarding leo's posting: "What Apple does well is software and human interface, and they made OS X a more efficient operating system than Windows (which is not very efficient in many ways)."  well said.  buy a mac.  you will be very pleased.

Craig, thank you, you totally got my post.  Notice that I did not advocate for either one or the other because the debate is silly.  In engineering terms, processing power-wise, Intel/AMD wins hands down (there is no debate in that, I am talking about data and quantitative numbers and facts).  But a computer/laptop requires both software and hardware to run, which means the full experience is not hardware based only, and Apple scores big on the OS; and indeed there is a level of emotional involvement.  The "creative" people use Mac, again, out of what they learned on, and Apple has been extremely successful in cornering that market.  The measuring dimension in that field is not performance.

With the new MacBook (sorry, still hate that name), the field is more level in terms of performance, and is now a different ballgame.  However, that "four-times" gain is absolutely fictitious.  Tests already run showed otherwise, although a significant gain in speed has been observed (more close two times, on average, depending on software).  I am not going into the "emulation" problems etc etc.  That's too geeky for a modeling site.

If you are getting a Mac now, get the Intel/Mac, forget the Gs.  They are so history now.

Disclaimer: Combining my labs, office and home I run about 12 computers, of all sorts, Mac, PC (all AMD-based), Linux, Unix (simulation server) and Windows.  smile  Bias-free and I have no financial interest in any of these companies.

Jan 26 06 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

MacBookPro.   Enough said.

Jan 26 06 08:25 pm Link