Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Do you feel pressure about your appearance?

Makeup Artist

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

It goes without saying that your make-up/hair has to be flawless...you are a walking advertisement for yourself.  But do you ever feel some of the pressures that models do...to be thin, have a great complexion and things of that nature?

I know I always feel like I'm not a good example when I have a breakout!  And my body has never been the same since I had my daughter three years ago (gained 80 lbs).  Currently, I'm not enormous...but I consider myself about 25 lbs overweight, which I am working on.  I am within the national average weight for my height, but I think that's a load of crap since Americans are bigger than ever! 

I just wondered if anyone else got stressed about this stuff?  I know photogs don't worry about this stuff!  But even though I am not in front of the cameraI feel like it makes a difference.  Am I just paranoid and self-conscious?

Jan 28 06 09:02 am Link

Filmmaker

Brandon Cordon

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Even us guys think about that stuff. I think its pretty natural and healthy to be self aware about your looks. But if it drives you to do unhealthy things seek help. I have two friends who cant have kids because of this pressure, they starved themselves and or threw up.

but i understand, im stressing abotu my hair right now. I have to go out into a windy day with my hair to get to a runway thing in a hour. i hate the wind. it makes my hair look like a rats nest

Jan 28 06 09:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

art directors and clients really are not there to admire the artist....Of course you need to be clean and well groomed because you are standing very close to people all day but my suggestion is to dress conservatively and don't draw attention to yourself...it makes the model uncomfortable (the job is more about him or her not you)    Also clients are not judging you like you think they are...they have a few concerns about you that overshadow what you look like "what can she do"  "how fast is she"  "is she going to be pleasent to work with" this is a very shallow business, people could care less what you look like, they are busy looking in the mirror smile

I'll say it again.....This is a very shallow business, it's all about looks and after a while you start to think less of yourself...the models are tall and thin and very young, they're beautiful usually and that can wear on your self esteem after awhile....this is a big problem for artists, I see it all the time.  Its like being a brides maid at a wedding...you are primping the Bride, its all about the Bride and youre just there to make her day wonderful while everyone worships her.  Thats tough on the ego.

Keep this in mind......Most successful artists are older, plain for the most part. David Lachapelles artist is a very very large woman...I have worked with a few top shooters in NY, their artists are older and very plain, nothing like you would imagine.....Real pros hire a crew that makes them look good, personable, professional and good at what they do.

Example...theres an artist in town that is really HOT!  so everyone tells me...she wears low cut blouses, has fake boobs, short skirts etc...shes flirts with all the guys on every shoot.  I have no doubt that the GWC types are all over it....the real pros, they have no use for her.  I have had a few clients work with her and say NEVER AGAIN....she sucks at makeup and she intimidates the models and females in the room. It's all about her.... Many clients are women or have women art directors etc...Public Relations people are generally women....a lot of the people on a pro set are women.  It's a big mistake to dress and act sexy around them.  They would much rather have an artist thats plain, chubby, older, because women are competitive, every woman wants to be the prettiest, thinnest woman in the room. smile  if you take all the attention she won't want to be around you again.

So, don't worry about it. Focus on why NOT being the focus of attention is a good thing.

Jan 28 06 10:04 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair wrote:
It goes without saying that your make-up/hair has to be flawless...you are a walking advertisement for yourself.  But do you ever feel some of the pressures that models do...to be thin, have a great complexion and things of that nature?

I know I always feel like I'm not a good example when I have a breakout!  And my body has never been the same since I had my daughter three years ago (gained 80 lbs).  Currently, I'm not enormous...but I consider myself about 25 lbs overweight, which I am working on.  I am within the national average weight for my height, but I think that's a load of crap since Americans are bigger than ever! 

I just wondered if anyone else got stressed about this stuff?  I know photogs don't worry about this stuff!  But even though I am not in front of the cameraI feel like it makes a difference.  Am I just paranoid and self-conscious?

Yes, I do. As a Fashion Stylist, people expect me to look like one. I went to the mall in one of those valour jogging suits and saw a celebrity that I know. He spotted me, and commented on my appearance. The outfit was cute, but I suppose I should have looked better. I fee like I am a walking billboard for my full time career. SO, if I'm at the mall, or some event I look like the people that I style. Some days I feel like looking the part, but on others I'm like screw yall, I'm cramping today and I'm wearing jogging suits. LOL

However, on set.. I'm different. I'll wear something presentable, clean, and nice. It's not going to be anything flashy nor will anyone be able to tell if it's designer or not. I don't wear anything that I feel might draw much attention to myself, so no cute accessories, etc. Besides, I need to be able to be free, move around on the floor adjusting dresses and all. I love my clothes, and don't want to ruin them. So, I keep it as simple as possible.

Jan 28 06 10:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair

I've been doing this for years and when I am working, I am always presentable and personable.  The problem is NOT that I am upset that the focus isn't on me!  Lord knows, I don't want it to be!  I am there to equally collaborate on a project.

My basic concern is prejudice...whether you're in front of the camera or not.  After I had my daughter, I went a solid six months without work...and it wasn't my choice.  But as the pounds begin to shed, more work began to book up.  Granted, I'm in a smaller market.  But that's when I really began to feel the pressure begin. 

That's all I was talking about...not trying to be like a model or compete with them.  I am a make-up artist and I am excellent at my craft...regardless of my weight.

Jan 28 06 03:13 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Z D E S I G N S

Sarasota, Florida, US

Absolutely! I believe how you come in looking at the shoot matters big time.
When I go into a shoot or go into meet people on a fashion show committee, I treat it as any other normal job. Although in a conservative manner!

Dress for the part, or as the old saying goes, "dress for success!"

I believe people take you more seriously when you practice what you're in the business preaching smile

Jan 28 06 07:03 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

This is an interesting but a really relative topic. As for myself, I thought that when I entered the industry I had to dress the part. I thought a fashion stylist should be fashionable and I was going to make sure my look matched my job. But the more I did and the more people I met, the more I noticed that every team/crew member was comfortably dressed and if you were to see them on the street you would have never guessed what they did. I also realized how chic and colorful I was wasn't of anyones concern on shoots, so I started to dress down so that I was more comfortable and laid back looking. I now wear nice shirts, jeans and sneakers with barely any accessories.I also wear very clean to no makeup. My hair is always combed. My overall appearance shows taste and professionalism with a little edge, and believe me...thats how I like it.

Oh and as for the models, they don't shake my self esteem. I'm curvy and no one can convince me that I'm not one of the hottest chicks in the room, but thats just me. I've always had abnormally high self esteem, so being in a room full of women that are sizes 2-4 don't bother me. I love being curvy and have never thought of being like them. Besides...I can't lose with what I use!

You are all fine just the way you are. If you think people are starring at you then they probably are...its just because they find you amazing!!!

Jan 28 06 07:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

I am chubby, for the most part plain, and wear a bland black waredrobe. I don't show up all jazzy and do not care to be the center of attention. I have had no issues with finding work, because of it. Being a make-up artist is not the same as being a model. End of story..for me anyway.

Jan 28 06 08:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair

Amen, Charissa...You really got what I was saying.  I wasn't questioning wardrobe or grooming issues.  And while I do feel the pressure, I think it's just that I'm not comfortable in my own skin right now that amplifies my feelings.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Jan 29 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

I think you should not make your life revolve around what "Others" outside of your family think you should look like. You have a certain look, certain flair so excentuate those so people can see that.
There is modeling and then there is obsession, dont do things to get into that top model shape that will hurt you in the end. Your family needs you more, use what you have until you can change it safely.

Jan 29 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I just wondered if anyone else got stressed about this stuff?  I know photogs don't worry about this stuff!

LIAR!!!

Photographers in the New York market or competing with the New York market have to think about this stuff ALL the FREEKING TIME

I swear...even assistants...

I copied a craigslist ad a long time ago that was posted as a joke, but summed up the situation quite well:

newyork.craigslist.org > manhattan > media jobs > NEED FULL TIME ASSISTANT for FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY
last modified: Mon, 17 May 12:21 EDT

please flag with care : [miscategorized] [prohibited] [spam] [discussion] [best of]                 

email this posting to a friend

NEED FULL TIME ASSISTANT for FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY

Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2004-05-17, 10:49AM EDT

We are a very successful fashion photography team working with all the top designers, magazines, and have a 20 page list of advertising clients. You must look like a model or at least dress in high end designers clothing like Commes De Garcon, As Four, Balenciaga, etc. You must have a fauxhawk or similar look. French or Portugeuse accent hot! You will work very very hard, carry all of our equipment, set up all lighting, load film backs, compose and focus camera, and possibly press shutter release if we are still in the conference room snorting toot with the art director.

This is an unpaid position but you will be exposed to fabulous people and the latest fashion trends. You may not make money but you can be around it. We might even invite you to A-list magazine opening parties if you look the part. This is a wonderful opportunity for any fashion wannabe or general nyc photosucker.

Email resume, portfolio, artist intentions, your ideas on fashion and art and where the trends are headed. Email photos of yourself including full body and face complete with a 10 year history of body measurements and hair styles. DNA samples a plus as we will be screening your genetic past up to 5 generations.

Remember, you might not be as fabulous as us in this life, but if you believe in reincarnation, there is a better chance in your next life. Must be available 24/7 and need no breaks for lunch as we do not eat.

Compensation: no pay, but you get to be around fabulous people
Principals only.  Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
this is in or around manhattan

Jan 29 06 11:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair

Wow, Raveneyes...since I am in a smaller market, I don't see it that much.  Most photogs here are very casual and not style-oriented.  Thanks for the input.

Jan 29 06 11:08 am Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

raveneyes, after reading that, boy am I glad I'm not in NY.

I do concern myself with my appearance, as in, well, I'm not going to wear a skirt when shooting. 
I wish some other photographers would just brush their teeth before shooting. Blecch.

Jan 29 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Wow, Raveneyes...since I am in a smaller market, I don't see it that much.  Most photogs here are very casual and not style-oriented.  Thanks for the input.

LOL big_smile

I realized re-reading that it might have sounded angry, but it's not...it's just meant in a  jokingly righteous indignant tone...

In all seriousness though, in most of the major markets you have to 'look the part'...not to a huge extent, but to some extent.  As a photographer you can wear jeans and a t-shirt, but they better be from Abercrombie & Fitch...and if you do wear them from A&F you better be wearing them like you own A&F... because A&F has become so *popular* it's almost not cool anymore.

So do I get stressed about it? Yes... as a photographer I do get stressed about it...mostly because I don't have the personal sense of style to be "cool"...

Jan 29 06 11:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair

I get it...it was the conviction of your post that grabbed my attention!  I can only imagine what it is like in NYC.  The last time I was there and took my books around, I was pregnant, so I know that sent up a red flag!  And the agents shredded me on my portfolio.  But I know you definitely have to have skin as tough as a suit of armor to make in the big city and that can't be easy with all the competition.  So, hats off to you, Raveneyes, you're out there trying your best to do what you love!

Jan 29 06 11:23 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

The last time I was there and took my books around, I was pregnant, so I know that sent up a red flag!  And the agents shredded me on my portfolio.

Wow...really???  I don't think your work, at least what of it you've posted here, is *shred*worthy... I'd hire you.  Maybe they just translated the pregnant red flag in to harsh criticism...I've never understood it, but I've seen many times where the agent or person critiquing the work will take a personal dislike to the person presenting the work and will therefore shred what is otherwise good work.

Jan 29 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Jsyn

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jan 29 06 11:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

Meredith VanSickle

Atlanta, Georgia, US

yes, I feel the pressure sometimes... you just have to remind yourself that you're working with an unsually high percentage of beautiful people, and being closer to the middle ground doesn't make you ugly. Being big doesn't make you ugly. Wearing the comfy stuff doesn't make you fashionably challenged....
and then remember what the REAL world looks like.
Think about the things you are asked to fix with make up. Cover blemishes, Shadow in cleavage.... how about the photographers having to edit?? Cellulite pops up even on thin girls sometimes, stretch marks happen occasionally too, whitening of teeth, smoothing of skin, enhanced this or that...

We don't work in the real world. It becomes easy to forget what average really looks like. While its that typically we'll be closer to the not attractive line than the models we're working with, it doesn't mean that we aren't reasonably attractive people.

My boyfriend and I run a pinup company together. He is one of the photograpers and editors. We interview girls together, shoot them together, etc. I used to think about how I matched up against the girls, and then I realized, its not healthy. There isn't any point. Its apples and oranges. When i really got that part down, it became far easier to remember that working with the above average doesn't make me below average. smile

Jan 29 06 11:50 am Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
lol.

Jan 29 06 03:02 pm Link

Model

Jenna C

Montpelier, Vermont, US

Even though I'm a model I wanted to put my thoughts in on this one.
1- for stylists (especially females working with female models)  Why would you ever  feel an less beautiful or perfect than a model.  You know best that without makeup we have blemishes, not so perfect skin, dark circles, etc.  We need you to make us more beautiful!!!
2-I absolutely love working with stylists and makeup artists.  I absolutely adore most of their styles.  I think they're often more stylish an interesting than the models.
3-Only request.  For women, it's hard for me if you wear low cut blouses.  Where am I supposed to look???  When you tell me to look down there's nowhere else to look except down your cleavage!

and altoids for everyone!!!

Much love to all the stylists, photographers, and makeup artists.  You guys are awesome and so much more important than the models!

Jan 29 06 07:21 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

I like this post - and am all ears as I've just recently made the decision to move from "agressive hobbiest" to full time artist.

The more I work "out in the world" , the more I'm concerned with appearance...

I airbrush and have an evolving "uniform". It has matured from overhauls and an oversized tshirt to something more professional - but still has to function with my equipment requirements. This means my hair is braided back and out of the way. And the last thing I want to worry about - or fuss over - is MY own makup - so I used to not bother at all. Now I'm trying to be "more professional" and out comes the mascara!

Jan 30 06 12:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

totally I feel kinda lazy when doing my own make-up so i dont spend the same amount of time make-my my skin look lfawless or doing amazing "fancy" eye make-up, but i always come well groomed smelling great, clean and with lots and lots of mints, I am always worried about my breath. But it seams that when i am shopping or something and the "what do you do" conversation comes up with the sales people and i say im a make-up artist and i look like well not a make-up artist. I peronally dont wear alot of make-up any way.
I had a job way out in the boonies and it was pouring rain and the bus was really late so when i finnally arrived at the shoot ( i was still on time for the shoot) i looked like a drowned rat, so did the model but the photographer made me feel like i wasnt professional becaue my make-up wasnt perfect and my hair was all wet. the model looked the same and he priased her for making it to the shoot in such bad weather. in the end the make-up i did on her looked really good. and the photographer appologised for the way he acted earier , i told him that maybe talent isnt on the outside but inside. he agreed and hired me back 3 other times all nice sunny days and i looked smashing smile So i think if you try to look nice and clean really thats all that matters.

Jan 30 06 01:46 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Before my first interview with a photographer I was talking to a friend and she said that stylists shouldn't look *too* styley. Generally I just try to make the best representation of my own personal style which revolves around the same one or two black sweaters, jeans, my red trainers, some eye catching earrings and a cool belt, but nothing TOO flashy. I don't try to look trendy because I don't look trendy in daily life, so why should I try toward that on a job.

I like to think that I usually show up looking fairly well put together, I always try to at least look presntable... but tend to get a little more disheveled as the shoot wears on, I end up sometimes with an odd assortment of belts, three or four safety pins or clothespins on the hem of my top, as I take off a pair of earrings I'll put them on myself because sticking them in my ears is easier than putting them back in the box and besides I'm not wearing any because I've taken mine off and  stuck them on the model.

Best laid plans I guess...

As far as the pressure to be or look thin, well I'm not genetically cut out for extreme model thinness, I'm at my full adult height and thus any desire to be taller would be a pipedream. I don't personally find models very attractive seeing as I am in fact a heterosexual female.

As a stylist you see all the flaws, the line of bellyhair, the back and butt zits, they get just as sweaty or bad breathy as anyone else, so it's all very levelling. Plus I've seen some models that I've been told I'm prettier than.

Jan 30 06 07:05 am Link

Makeup Artist

Meredith VanSickle

Atlanta, Georgia, US

On that note about OTHERS looking and making a judgement...

I am in cosmetology school now *Which my mentor told me was a HUGE mistake... but what can you do? I wanted to be able to cut and color as well as style hair and do makeup* One of my instructors made an offhanded comment to me when she asked "What do you do for a living?" and I responded "I am a makeup artist." she asked, "Really, what counter hired you? You don't look like a makeup artist." "I work in mostly TV and film,but I do make up for fashion and photography as well. I worked under a very talented MUA and was mentored by her so I move around from here to there in the field" "Oh yeah? I wouldn't let someone like YOU do my makeup. I just don't feel like you'd know how." she repeated that several times over a few weeks, when I finally had enough and brought her a portfolio, she told me that perhaps I should put a little more makeup on my own face.  I informed her then and there that I can do whatever I like and as a MUA I don't need approval from her as long as my checks keep coming in so I can pay my tuition. 
But she is the only person I've ever come across who has had anything to say on the matter. In fact, I have several girls at school who continue to ask me if they can tag along to my jobs as an assisstant.

Jan 30 06 07:16 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Meredith VanSickle wrote:
One of my instructors made an offhanded comment to me when she asked "What do you do for a living?" and I responded "I am a makeup artist." she asked, "Really, what counter hired you? You don't look like a makeup artist." "I work in mostly TV and film,but I do make up for fashion and photography as well. I worked under a very talented MUA and was mentored by her so I move around from here to there in the field" "Oh yeah? I wouldn't let someone like YOU do my makeup. I just don't feel like you'd know how." she repeated that several times over a few weeks, when I finally had enough and brought her a portfolio, she told me that perhaps I should put a little more makeup on my own face.  I informed her then and there that I can do whatever I like and as a MUA I don't need approval from her as long as my checks keep coming in so I can pay my tuition. 
But she is the only person I've ever come across who has had anything to say on the matter. In fact, I have several girls at school who continue to ask me if they can tag along to my jobs as an assisstant.

That's nuts. Your teachers shouldn't be able to run you down like that. I'd file a complaint if she does it again.

Jan 30 06 07:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Meredith VanSickle

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I gave that my best shot. She and I don't see eye to eye pretty often because I feel that she is disrespectful to other students as well as myself. Its a small school... Fayette Beauty Academy.
With it being a small school in the middle of BFE Georgia, its just something I've resigned myself to simply sucking it up and dealing with it.
She's a beautician in the middle of Georgia, thats all she ever will be... Although sometimes it gets on my nerves or hurts my feelings. It helps me to know that I'm there to get my license and get out, then I won't ever have to look back again.
I've got bigger fish to fry smile smile
I really appreciate your support though smile I feel like I'm fighting a one woman battle sometimes, and the confirmation that I am doing the right thing really helps.

Jan 30 06 07:23 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

I think if I hired an MUA and she showed up looking like:

https://swirley.home.att.net/tammy.jpg

I would be worried!

Jan 30 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I was gonna answer "No, I don't really care", but I have to admit that I do a little. When I have a shoot coming up, I tend to drink more water a couple of days before to clear my skin, I actually wash my makeup off my face (I know, I know, I should do it every time I wear it, but I don't, and I've never had any complexion problems), and I also clean out my car...lol. Now that I'm getting really busy, I find I'm just taking care of myself and the things around me better. It's a shame that that's where I get my motivation, but it's true. It's difficult to choose a location to shoot at when you're not sure you can physically make the hike to the spot.

Mostly, I want to be happy with myself. When it comes down to it, if the model doesn't like something about me, well, we'll finish the shoot, you'll get your images, and you don't have to deal with me any more. I'm really content with myself and my overall appearance.

Jan 30 06 09:56 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

At the risk of Hijacking the thread has anyone here heard the "if only...you could model" speech?

I went on a shoot today and the photographer INSISTED upon shooting me. Ok fine, I did my best, but I AM NOT A MODEL. He told me when I was done that I should lose 20 pounds and I could definately model, or at the very least be drop dead gorgeous and every head in any given room would turn when I entered, oh and that he intended to photshop the shit out of the images. The last time I heard the "lose 15% of your total body weight and you'd be hot" speech it came from the pursed, feminine lips of our local B-list rockstar, and I was fairly sure that that was to serve his own ego by running me down. I guess I was supposed to be chuffed that he stopped reminding us all what great friends he is with David Bowie long enough to tell me this. I do not look like a model, I am not tall like a model and I generally have no desire to BE a damn model. I'm content to be the tubby ugly girl that makes them look pretty, Hey we can't all be stars, right. I'm fine with that. Why can't everyone else understand that. Besides, I'm not sure that I could even lose another 10 pounds, so where the hell is 20 supposed to come off of, huh? At best I MIGHT be able to do commercial modeling and starving myself down to 115 just for the privelege of smiling serenely to decorate a box of tampons isn't my #1 career choice.

I was told that ranting on the boards made me look unprofessional. Ok but seeing as I am not at this time getting paid to gild lillies, I'll take my chances.

Edit: go to my myspace page (link on profiile) to see one one of the resultant images. I'm in burgundy and grey striped top. Not bad at all, but still not worth starving myself.

Feb 01 06 12:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

I always try to show up with clean makeup and polished clothes.  Hair is usually up as it drives me crazy if it is in my face while working.  I tried doing a shoot in heels, it does not work.  Yes, I do think about my appearance, but not how it relates to the model.
No offense, but truly I could care less about that.  And I like being around beautiful people; they are fun to look at.  Like a flower.
Low-cut to work, never.  Tacky.

Feb 01 06 07:19 am Link