Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Little humor for people familiar with stock sites

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

For those who cannot log into http://www.shutterpoint.com/spf/forum/m … eadid=1578 to see this
I have it here http://www.karlblessing.com/shares/sp_what.pdf in acrobat reader format, but here it is quoted.

Dear friends!

ShutterPoint needs your contribution!

MacWorld Magazine is putting together a Stock Photo/Clip Art Promotional CD for their subscribers and subscription renewals. Magazine editors contacted us and offered the opportunity to include stock images that can represent ShutterPoint in the CD.

Magazine subscribers will get a CD containing royalty-free images for personal use only. This gives us, as the site, a platform to promote our services to the well qualified market – as you know, most graphics artists and designers use Macintosh computers. Other providers of the images in the CDs are well known stock image suppliers such as Corbis, FotoSearch, Hemera, Agfa Monotype and some other high visibility websites.

With the last Image Library CD (Vol.2), MacWorld distributed about 10,000 CDs in a 6-month period. An estimate for the next volume is 25,000 CDs annually.

We would like to ask you to contribute several images to the compilation that will represent ShutterPoint. Magazine asked us for a minimum of 30MB or 100 images; however we will be unable offer even a single image without you contributing your work to the compilation. As a sign of our appreciation, if you submit your image for inclusion in the CD and it gets picked by our team, you will receive the complimentary storage space extension of one month for every two images included.

It is important to stress that you will not get paid for these images, however no commercial or editorial use will be allowed. Magazine restricts placing watermarks on the images unless they are very small and located in a corner. To give you an opportunity for personal exposure, we will automatically place a small watermark in the lower left hand corner that will display the word “Copyright” followed by your name, and the URL of your ShutterPoint gallery.

If you are interested to submit your images, please act right now. The deadline for submissions is Wednesday, June 15, 2005. We are looking to have as wide a variety of photographs as possible. We will convert all images to JPEG format and reduce their resolution (if necessary) not to exceed 2048x1536 pixels. Please note that depending on how many images our members contribute, we will most likely hand-pick the ones to include in the CD.

We have made a change to the Manage Photos page to make it easy to submit your photos for this CD. To contribute your photos, please go to:

Album Manager

and click "Manage Photos" button for the album which you would like to contribute images from. Select images you are willing to contribute, and click the "Contribute to MacWorld Stock CD" button. You will need to view each of your albums separately and click this button again for images coming from different albums.

We appreciate your help very much!

My immediate reply

So basically, pay a couple bucks for the magazine, and you can save hundreds by printing as many lovely wall hangings as you like.

Other than exposure, how does this supposibly help the shutterpoint community?

Couple reasons why I may not be contributing
1) That many circulations of my images will make it harder for me to track down those who do plan on using the images other than personal use.
2) I make money selling prints as well, by distributing said images, it ruins my chances of making print sales on those images when large enough resolution are in circulation.
3) Why come to shutterpoint to buy the images, when you got a handful of variety available on CD.

May bring exposure to the site, but I dont know if the benefits, other than maybe more photogs signing up and paying for hosting space will outweight the downside.

Thats just my general concern, but I dont have an MBA in business or advertizing or such.

I might be more inclined if there was some kind of reduced fee paid per image, as in a way, by asking us to contribute, you are now a client to our images, and as such using them in a commercial usage to advertize shutterpoint, but not nessarily the specific artist. Basically asking free advertizment of us using our imagery.

-------------------------
Karl Blessing

My Photos
My Personal Site

For 1-900-Karl Blessing Check Profile for Instant Messenger Contacts.

For those that dont know shutterpoint, they're kinda like istockphoto and such, royalty free images, except you cant charge less than 20$ for your images, and you gota pay for the space you put your images on ( like 15$ for a year of 50MB or something like that )

I just find it funny that for a website that has the intention of selling your images and such, and they're to the point where no one is really selling much at all, and they make more money off the photographer's paying for the webspace than they are off commission, then expect the photographers to just hand them images for free advertizement.... well advertizement cost money, pay up.

Jun 12 05 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Dan RI

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Wasn't there a thread about the TFP mentality effecting the real world and the industry?

Jun 12 05 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

I have been  doing stock work for over 25yrs and it's become a sad state of affairs of all the things they will pitch to photographers to really give away what their worth is for an images. Bottomline, you put in all the effort in creating these images, don't sell yourself short in the long run for quick cash. Also what's the age of your images being resaled over the years. Look toward the real stock houses and all that goes into handling your work  & marketing these images...first ask yourself who are buying these images from the stock house, to management of payment ...it's so easy to tell you it never sold once and you find that image on a billboard...there goes that vacation you wanted of putting your child through college, just for a quick buck.

Jun 12 05 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Posted by !MDF: 
Wasn't there a thread about the TFP mentality effecting the real world and the industry?

has nothing to do with TFP.

Jun 12 05 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

oh by the way SP's response

Hello,

Exposure is how this helps the ShutterPoint community. More exposure translates into more sales.

There will be two types of people who will use the CD:

1. Your potential customers - designers, publishers, editors, and other craetive professionals looking for stock images for their companies or clients. They do not steal photos, and they do not violate license terms. If they like your work, or what the site offers in general, they will come here and buy photos.

2. Everyone else, who would not be your potential customers in the first place, and who would not be buying images from ShutterPoint. In the "worst" case, your photo will be on someone's desktop wallpaper or used for a student project or the like.

It is a personal choice of every member whether to contribute or not, and we are giving you this opportunity.

Thank you for listening,
Jake

Jun 12 05 02:43 pm Link