Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Model needs tips for shoot

Model

iloh

SPRINGFIELD GARDENS, New York, US

For some TFP's i have to do my own makeup and have some questions

how do i make my doe eyes especailly noticable?
how to best cover under-eye cirles/bags?
best concealer for me (dark skin, yellow undertone)?

THANKS!

Feb 10 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

They won't tell you. MUA's are here to get work, babes. Telling you how to do what they do, won't get them work.

Feb 10 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

Then again, because of the cutie you are, they may very well tell....so they can work with you and add you to their port. You looking good, Khaholi.

Feb 10 06 10:32 am Link

Model

Beth

Huntington Beach, California, US

Just go look on beauty sites. they have plenty of makeup tips.  a good book on makeup tips also is any book by kevyn aucoin. he was an incredible artist!!!

Feb 10 06 10:34 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

hey there! you could always go to a mac or makeup counter at a mall before the shoot and have them do your makeup. it's usually free. that's why i do when i don't have a mua

Feb 10 06 10:35 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Tony Culture Photoz wrote:
They won't tell you. MUA's are here to get work, babes. Telling you how to do what they do, won't get them work.

That's not true, I have had received a lot of good advice from MUA's and Stylists here on MM. 

If you live near a Nordstrom store, You can get good advice from the MAC counter - (I am sure other stores sell it as well) It is a makeup line that was originally developed for photography shoots.  They will match you up with proper colors. - I knew nothing about the subject and learned enough to be dangerous (or at least enough for basic non-assisted photoshoot prep).  However, a good MUA/Stylist is invaluable to have on a shoot.  I find that a lot of photogs are more concerned about lighting detail than how your face and hair looks. - If there is no MUA/Stylist, they rely on you to do the work.  The problem is, you cannot see yourself in the shot until it is done.  Good stylists and MUA work along with the photog to make sure everything is working on you based on the lighting set ups.

Feb 10 06 10:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Beth wrote:
Just go look on beauty sites. they have plenty of makeup tips.  a good book on makeup tips also is any book by kevyn aucoin. he was an incredible artist!!!

Keep in mind Kevin's work is all retouched before it hits the shelfs

Feb 10 06 10:49 am Link

Model

iloh

THANKS! the mac counter idea is very good and i'll probably be using that and the make-up books.  i know that a good MUA can practically make a shot what it is (check out my avi...[Kimberly Chin]) and i always request one, but it doesnt always work out.

BYE THE WAY
I know you all work hard at this, and it may be a longshot, but anyone still do tfp's?  maybe then i can get a few photographers to respond positively to my request

Feb 10 06 11:43 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Khaholi wrote:
and i always request one, but it doesnt always work out.

99% of the time i find the makeup artist. Especiallly when you are doing a tfp, it should almost be the model's responsibility to get one. that is, unless the photographer offers or if they have someone they regularly work with...

so start making connections with makeup artists! I have worked with some amazing ones who have shot with me for many different photographers!]

**Shout out to Monica E MM#37040 and Joanna Crowder MM#16213 who have worked with me on several projects! They are amazing !!

Feb 10 06 11:50 am Link

Model

iloh

thanks... im pretty new to this and i had no idea that i would have to find the MUA

Feb 10 06 11:53 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Khaholi wrote:
thanks... im pretty new to this and i had no idea that i would have to find the MUA

yep...and it's great that way because then you will have someone to call on for other photographers. you generally want to connect with as many people as you can (makeup artisits, hair stylist, wardrobe stylists and designers, photographers, graphic designers). that way, you can always look your best!

I think it is safe to say that probably 90% of the people who are on here from orth Carolina know me or have been contacted by me. If nothing more than to just say "hello, i'm isabel and I'm here!".  I'm also very active on this site...so if I travel somewhere, someone who is familiar with me on here will hopefully want to work with me!

Also, since you are building a portfolio and you want to to work with great photographers for tfp, it's also (in a way) common courtesy to take care of the makeup artist because the photographer has great expenses of his own just to be able to shoot you.  so it always makes a good impression on the photographer when the model has all of the glam squad stuff together so that he doesn't have to worry about it smile

Feb 10 06 11:59 am Link

Model

iloh

thanks for everything. I already saw your port so i'll definitely take all the advice u give wink

Feb 10 06 12:05 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Khaholi wrote:
thanks for everything. I already saw your port so i'll definitely take all the advice u give wink

oh yeah - and you definitely need to send me a check for 60% of everything you earn from jobs. that's something i left out wink it's essential in order for you to make it in this industry

Feb 10 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Sharon Gutowski

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

I also recommend Bobbi Brown'smake up book.  I don't remember what it's called but there are tips for different effects, different ethnicities and some good information on skin care too.  Best of luck to you!  Use the mac coutner too, there are always good people.

Sharon

Feb 10 06 12:10 pm Link

Model

iloh

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:

oh yeah - and you definitely need to send me a check for 60% of everything you earn from jobs. that's something i left out wink it's essential in order for you to make it in this industry

OKAY...SO WHAT'S 60% OF $0?? hmm

Feb 10 06 12:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

I actually recommend Sam Fine's Fine Beauty or Iman's the Beauty of Color. Both of which I love. I use MAC product but just remember it is their job to get you to buy as much as possible- so they might try to get to you to buy multiple products that serve the same purpose or extra products you don't really need. However, if you decide to go to MAC, go to the pro store. I see that you are in NY, is on Fifth Ave and the telephone number is  (212) 505-3563. I have a hard time trusting counter people, but I have found that the people at the pro store (at least out here) tend to be a lot more experienced professionally.

Feb 10 06 02:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

Khaholi wrote:
For some TFP's i have to do my own makeup and have some questions

how do i make my doe eyes especailly noticable?
how to best cover under-eye cirles/bags?
best concealer for me (dark skin, yellow undertone)?

THANKS!

It's hard to really give you advice based on your finished pictures because it doesn't show your natural skin tones -- plus computers aren't all calibrated equally. But... A rule of thumb for coverups, you want to use a product that has a higher pigment meaning a higher opacity. Concealer color is the complimentary color of the area you are concealing, i.e.,  browns are neutralized by pinktones, blues by orangetones. I've used a coral and sometimes a pale butter yellow for highlighter on darker skin which gives a beautiful intrinsic hue. Mix the concealer with your foundation so you have a foundation/concealer relationship and pat it gently with fingertips and then powder. A yellow/gold powder is also beautiful on dark skin and helps avoid the ash-like look of transleucent powders.

Your eye shape would really be emphasized with a Marilyn Monroe classic makeup. Lighter on the lid, a brown or black in the crease, light under the browbone, black eyeliner.

Kevyn Aucoin's books, I hear are photoshopped -- which makes sense, but they do have a lot of great info: Making Faces or Face Forward are packed with tips.

Let me know if any of this helps smile Best wishes in your career! ~ Pam

Feb 11 06 02:57 am Link

Model

Heather Amos

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

this is random but even if kevin aucoins books are photoshopped , i actually saw him do makeup on live television several times, and he rocked

Feb 16 06 04:20 am Link

Model

Lamar Scott

New York, New York, US

I have a couple of tfr shoots coming up too...should guys wear foundation?

Feb 18 06 09:46 pm Link