Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Diet Soda makes you Fat?

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by marksora: 
But I still drink the stuff.

Okay I will stop,...... Tomorrow after my stash is gone.
you do not expect me to dump it down the toilet due you.

Mark, I have read some consumer research somewhere that the sugars creating an acid ash in the body and that candida (yeast living in your bloodstream) which is found in 70 percent or so of the population is feeding on that acid ash.

IIRC your craving for the sugars (even the replacements) is caused by exactly that yeast.

Now, if you switch to water only, your craving for sugar water will diminish to nil and the candida will reduce itself because it's starving to death...

Jun 18 05 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Yes,  I know that but easy said than done.  I have taken months off of the stuff but then go back.  I sometimes count the days,  I do not drink caffeinated diet sodas.

I guess I should switch to soda water, which I have done in the past.

I need an intervention.

I am a obnoxious,  soda drinking,  mumble speaking,  MM overuser.   shoot me in the head.

UPDATE:  After reading my own evidence and others,  I am going to try to quit again.  Wish me luck.

Jun 18 05 08:59 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

PT EXPLANATION relating to Soda & 'diet soda'

The guys have it with this one, they can drink this stuff with less difficulty as the way their cell membranes are formed generally precludes 'cellulite'. The chemicals used in diet soda are waste / they are mildly toxic - they are therefore 'sent' to the fat sells and increase cellulite.(in women only, on the whole)
You cannot 'burn off' the calories as there aren't any however waste is still sent to your thighs or wherever.

When the SUGAR versions of sodas are  drunk the so called 'nutritious calories' (not a true term as they are energy only) can at least be used by you being active.
so you have that choice
Best choice is to enjoy non sparkling drinks (how about WATER remember that?!?) as the Co2 added to make the bubbles is a toxin which you breathe OUT all day - and you are wise to avoid injesting it (for reasons I wont go into now)
Happy glugging!

Jun 19 05 07:39 am Link

Model

Jacqui

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

The theory behind why diet soda is linked with weight gain is similar to what Anjel Britt just posted. Artificial sweeteners in diet sodas mimic real sugar to the body and therefore tend to spike insulin levels in the blood (even though there is no real sugar), which aids in weight gain because the blood is constantly flooded with insulin.

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen �: 
Try drinking fruit juice

Fruit juice has as much sugar (fructose) as regular, non-diet soda.

Jun 19 05 10:57 am Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

I'm digging the new flavored waters. Still not good old natural water, I know- but certainly better than soda when I'm craving a sweet drink fix. Also, they are more satisfying to me. Whereas soda makes me want more, flavored water is hydrating and therefore one bottle is enough.

I also love the vitamin waters. And I will always adore raspberry ice Crystal Light.

Jun 19 05 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by AstraDivaJ: 
I'm digging the new flavored waters. Still not good old natural water, I know- but certainly better than soda when I'm craving a sweet drink fix. Also, they are more satisfying to me. Whereas soda makes me want more, flavored water is hydrating and therefore one bottle is enough.

I also love the vitamin waters. And I will always adore raspberry ice Crystal Light.

I personally swear by Vitamin Water...though I'm drinking a CokeClassic as I write this.  I do have strawberry Gatorade in the fridge.

Jun 19 05 06:59 pm Link