Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > What we want when you contact us?

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Maybe I will make another thread on why it is not easy for stylist to work for free.

But this will be on what is wanted when you contact us.
And what information and what you expect in return when contacting a stylist,  Makeup artist or hairstylist.

I often get notes that people who want to work with me but no other info.

No date.   No time.  you do not tell me who the models are.  What type of clothing is needed so that I know if I can fit your needs.

I will make a full list in the future.

but this is just to start off the conversation.

What are the details of the shoot?
Who are the models?   MM members, then what numbers?   Agency?   
Who is the MUA? Who is the art director? Style of shoot?
For a stylist,  are shoes needed.  (very important issue for many of us.)
Where is the shoot?
When is the shoot?
What are you offering?
Prints? spec? Money? How long before receiving?
What is the style of the shoot?   
What does the designers get as far as images and rights to use images?
If it is a spec then how long are you going to shop the idea before you give up.
(I have someone trying for over 9 months.  Ahh,  time to give it up and let me use the images already.)

What do you want to know when you are contacted or when the stylist group contacts you?

Or what answers do you want?

Maybe it is just me but if you contact me then let me know upfront what, where, who, when,  why,  how much,  etc.    Telling me to contact you for information is sometimes hard to do if not a bit fustrating.

Feb 15 06 01:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Yah i just love the wishy washy individuals who ask you to work with them and thats all the info you get.
OHH and i love having to ask to be paid or get my cheque at the end of a shoot, i shouldnt have to ask for my money, just hand me an envelope and thats all i need ( Well make sure theres money in that envelope )
If I am beign paid and that what was arranged I shouldnt have to ask for my money.
smile

Feb 15 06 06:27 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
...OHH and i love having to ask to be paid or get my cheque at the end of a shoot...

WTF?  Ah-naw!  I need to know if the person setting up the shoot knows my paypal information before I book you.  Then I need to know when that has been processed.

Feb 19 06 09:22 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Los Angeles, California, US

MHana wrote:

Where is the shoot?
When is the shoot?
What are you offering?
If it is a spec then how long are you going to shop the idea before you give up.
(I have someone trying for over 9 months.  Ahh,  time to give it up and let me use the images already.)

Wow. That's a whole lot of information just on contact.

It's like demanding that hot man in a bar to tell you everything he's going to do to you before the first drink.

Net-tender... oh Net-tender! Where's my drink?! I ordered a Side Car, but all I got was a slow and comfortable screw against the wall...

Feb 20 06 11:26 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Really?  Why waste time?   What part of that is too much information or what is not needed to decide if you are going to work on a shoot or not?

Why not get organized and get the information up front?

Feb 20 06 11:36 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

But we haven't kissed yet....

Feb 20 06 11:42 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Says who?

Feb 20 06 11:47 am Link

Makeup Artist

Crazier Benny

Rochester, New York, US

ok kiss me smile

Feb 20 06 11:49 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

I want a kiss from eveyone when I work on a shoot tongue

Feb 20 06 11:51 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

MHana wrote:
Where is the shoot?
When is the shoot?
What are you offering?

back to topic

that works for me, I have clothing stores in my area that let me use clothing for photoshoots, so I also must know if they will give an 8x10 image for in store use, also as being the person borrowing the clothing I am also the one responsible if the clothing gets ruined by mistake during the shoot, and I would be the one that will have to pay for it

Feb 20 06 12:00 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Crazy Benny wrote:

Slut.

Feb 20 06 01:04 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

MHana wrote:
Maybe I will make another thread on why it is not easy for stylist to work for free.

And what information and what you expect in return when contacting a stylist,  Makeup artist or hairstylist.

No date.   No time.  you do not tell me who the models are.  What type of clothing is needed so that I know if I can fit your needs.

Where is the shoot?
When is the shoot?
What are you offering?

What do you want to know when you are contacted or when the stylist group contacts you?

Maybe it is just me but if you contact me then let me know upfront what, where, who, when,  why,  how much,  etc.    Telling me to contact you for information is sometimes hard to do if not a bit fustrating.

Couple of things first. If the guy has been hanging on to images for 9 months... there is more to it than just trying to submit them. Photographers use to do this to me all the time, I found myself when I'd work with a celebrity to not be able to get the photos... even after publication. Now I don't have a website, I don't even put work online, I have a physical book... there just was never a reason to not be able to get photos for my book. But what are you going to do when you need money, need to work, have a great photographer who has a number of celebrities he shoots? Take the money and trust that you will be able to get the photos when its "safe" to get them. Reason being, the photographer would tell me he'd sell them over and over to many different publications. While sometimes true, I can't have tears that is really a quarter page photo in my book. For the most part that is what they'd be published as. Still to this day I try to get the photos, some are at least five years old... can't get them! Always an excuse. So I'd tell the guy right now you want the photos, don't let it get any further... because the longer you wait the harder it will be.

Often times photographers don't know who the model(s) will be or the makeup artist and seek the stylist's guidance on helping selecting. On the web it works quite the opposite I've noticed, the whole team is set except for the stylist. Which is why you feel you've got to post all these questions for photographers to answer. I don't think ADs should be named in the first contact, I don't know many photographers who'd be comfortable giving that info when they have not even decided if this stylist is good for the job. They may be talking to more than one stylist for the same job. Pictures of the models is helpful, if they have a website that should be given to review. Same with the makeup artist, either samples of their work... or link to their website... if they've decided on one. They may have some basic info, but for the most part you are the stylist and in charge of the style... the looks... the feels... the conceptualizing with the team.  Answering all those questions on first contact takes a photographer a whole lot of time, you aren't the only busy one. If you've got to know more immediately, then just after contact have them give you their phone number and get those questions answered. Take some notes and then decide if you want the job or do the test based on the info you collected. It sure is faster than the poor guy sitting there typing it all out. Stylists are busy, there is no doubt... but for people who don't understand this just may look lazy to them. Trust me, I understand where you are coming from.

Personally, I'd think an email with brief info about the shoot (who, what, when and where... to the best of their knowledge), desired terms, direct contact phone number, samples of the model and samples of the makeup artist if they have that should be fine. I'll send two samples of my work if it sounds interesting. From there I'd call the photographer to negotiate and discuss the shoot... as emailing takes up way too much of my time. If they need to see more of my work, I'll ask where I need to have a courier to drop off my book (if it's needed, rarely do I need to). I don't have the patience either but email annoys me and I'm going to have to call that person anyways.

Feb 20 06 01:40 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

Kuree wrote:

Slut.

tee hee

Feb 20 06 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Crazy Benny wrote:

Now we have to start a sex with a stlyist thead.  smile

Feb 20 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

To answer the original question, it is not unreasonable to expect some of the information you ask.  However, on initial contact, most are putting out feelers to see if you are vaguely interested in their work before throwing out details.  If I am in the planning stage I may not even have a model in place.

Feb 20 06 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

FotoArcade

San Diego, California, US

I'm with Reno on this one. I think you might get a quarter of the items you listed on an initial contact. Most times I'm checking to see if there is any interest at all to be part of a project (or seeing if there is any response at all). Once I get a response, I'm certainly motivated to take the time and energy to share all the information regarding the shoot that is available.

Feb 20 06 02:24 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Michael Reyes wrote:
I'm with Reno on this one. I think you might get a quarter of the items you listed on an initial contact. Most times I'm checking to see if there is any interest at all to be part of a project (or seeing if there is any response at all). Once I get a response, I'm certainly motivated to take the time and energy to share all the information regarding the shoot that is available.

Sure if you do not have the information then it cannot be provided. 
Any information that can be provided is always helpful.
When I am called to work the first thing that is usually always mentioned is what day is the shooting.

There are multiple meetings with land based work where the models and crew is often discussed.   Not always but more often then not.

If you do not have some of the information to provide then I am sure you will not be cut off immediately by me or another.   

This post was not a demand,  If I had wanted to do that then I would post it on my page.   This is only trying to help the people contacting stylists,  makeup artists, and hair stylist to make it easier for us all to work together better while saving time and energy.

Feb 20 06 03:35 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Linda Drabova

I agree with MHana. If you do not know what is the photoshoot about...you can not be prepared. As I work for myself and the stylist as well...there are always those information involved. But as a stylist you can get an idea from such empty emails what the profesionalism of the shoot will be and if it can be published.Technically stylist prepares well in advance for shoot. It is not like " hey...are you available for the photoshoot tomorrow?"..." what do you have in your closet" These people do not know what they are talking about then.And it is not worth to answer then. In real word....photographers and stylists chose mostly the models and other members of the team.

Feb 20 06 07:58 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

Asking for an event organizer to be able to concisely communicate what they are doing the day of the event they are actively promoting is definitely and perfectly appropriate.

If a person is clear within their self, a general treatment is likely already committed to a notebook and if not, should be able to be entered once into a word processing program in less than five minutes.

A two, four or six hour day is sincerely worth five minutes of stating a clear plan.

Feb 21 06 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

Lancaster, California, US

kuree, do you want the hot man to tell you what he is going to do, or just go ahead and do it, and then have the first drink in the afterglow?

Feb 22 06 03:04 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

MHana wrote:

Where is the shoot?
When is the shoot?
What are you offering?

This would be appropriate info for an ad or a catelog or the like that you're being booked for. For a test or a spec editorial, especially if there's collaboration involved, this is excessive.

Feb 22 06 06:22 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Sex with a stylist is a bit tricky.  Firstly, they always pick a groovy fabric to do it on.... but then they bitch when fluids get on the fabric.

Feb 25 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

CB... just use the back of the couch then!  Duh.

Feb 25 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Initially when I am soliciting talent for a test shoot it means that I am attracted to something in thier work. I see possibilities. But I need to find others to make a shoot reality (unless it is just form nudes in nature). So I am just starting to assemble the elements. What good does it do to set a date and time before you have everyone on board. You have to work around everyone's schedule and find the least painful fit. So I ask first.."would you like to work with me". Then as I get the people together I start on schedules. THEN and only then do we start discussing creative aspects and locations. My next contact goes something like ... "the models will be _____, ___ and _____ and the stylist will be _______ with ______ doing Makeup and ___ doing hair. The theme will be ______ and the date and time that seems best for all is ___________ . Please confirm that this works for you. " 

So when you get a solicitation without all the needed info maybe you should take the time to look at the person's work and see if it inspires you in some way.
Mike

Feb 25 06 01:14 am Link