Forums > General Industry > Is this normal?

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Ok,
Model "X" contacts me about a month ago to do a test shoot. NO problem.
She informs me that she wil be in town from Day "X" until Day 'x" and if I were interested to contact her.

So, I shoot her an e-mail saying.. " Sure, drop me a line when you get in town and let's see if we can we can hook something up.

Ok, NO PROBLEM..

Model "X" gets in town, drops me a line and I havent had the time to drop her a line. (as the story goes, I have since contacted her)

Well, moving right along..I know that model "X" will be here for just under a month more and was actually about to get in touch when I get the following message.

Hi,

I sent you a message because you had an interest; and sent me a message about a test shoot with me. Could you let me know if your serious about this because I haven't heard anything from you. I am in LA until March 8th. I don't know why people are indicating and interest and don't follow through. So an update would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Model "X"

Now first of all, I NEVER sent her a message, she contacted me. I dont contact out of town models for test shoots..Just not my SOP.

Now, had she been a little nicer I would have shot with her, she isnt a bad model at all. BUT, to be rude, and take things way out of context chaps my HYDE...LOL..

Is this normal, does this happen a lot?

My first....No longer a virgin..
LOL

Feb 16 06 06:05 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

It sounds to me like the model just got frustrated. I appears as if you took a while to call her back and (there were probably others as well) she was frustrated at the idea that she may not be able to do as many shoots as she wanted because people weren't following up with her to her expectations.

I'm not saying either person is wrong. Just why she might have put it a bit toooo strongly.

Feb 16 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Interesting,

And could be..

Just when a person initiates the contact and youo say sure drop me a line and let's see IF we can hook up. I dont think there are any expectations just yet. She made it sound as if I contacted her in the first place. Just a little more tact would have gone a long way.
Frustrations, I can understand, but if she really wanted a shoot..Is that the way to approach it?

Hmmmmmm....

V

Feb 16 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Seems there's a great deal of time being spent taking exception at the tone of e-mails and the potential meaning thereof, rather than communicating regularly, ironing out issues directly, and getting on with the task at hand (getting a shoot arranged).

Feb 16 06 07:28 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

You have no idea how frustrating (or maybe you do?) it can be to try to communicate and set up shoots with other members of this site.  I've been contacted by countless photographers wanting to shoot.  'Sure,' I say, 'here are the days I'm generally available.  Pick a date and time and location and tell me what to bring.'  And they...e-mail me some more.  And 'Pick a date,' I say.  And they e-mail me anything but a date.  'A date!  A date!'  I say (you time wasting jerks, I think).  And then...they never e-mail again.  I have conversations in my inbox 30 or so e-mails long that just stop with the photographer never getting back to me.  And I give up on them.

It sounds like your model got a little frustrated.  Was she mean?  Not particularly.  Just a little demanding which sometimes you have to be.  Sometimes I just want to mail photographers and say 'Look: you want to shoot?  Yes or no.  Tell me now, all the details or never speak to me again, because I have better things to do.'  Of course I would never actually do that, but I've been sorely, sorely tempted.

Feb 16 06 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

Yes, sadly this sort of behaviour/attitude/ego issue is not unusual.  Not professional or desirable or pleasant or productive either.

Feb 16 06 07:52 pm Link

Model

VikyL thank you for posting, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one experiencing that!

KickFight and Olaf make good points too

I really wish all requests came in one email with all the info... like "desk" jobs do for accounting or consulting, or invites for parties or clubs, or well just about anything else... who, what, when, where, why, how... it'll need to be covered at some point! So much easier than the "30 emails to nowhere"

Feb 16 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Vance wrote:
Well, moving right along..I know that model "X" will be here for just under a month more and was actually about to get in touch when I get the following message.

Hi,

I sent you a message because you had an interest; and sent me a message about a test shoot with me. Could you let me know if your serious about this because I haven't heard anything from you. I am in LA until March 8th. I don't know why people are indicating and interest and don't follow through. So an update would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Model "X"

It sounds to me like you are reading more "tone" into this message than what is really there...and this could be your own loss as well as the model's.

If you wanted to work with her, what is so wrong with giving her a call to confirm a date?  She was excited to be IN YOUR AREA and thought you were looking forward to shooting her shortly after her arrival.  She hasn't heard back from you to confirm things and is wondering what is up.  Perhaps she even declined working with others...thinking she would be shooting with you?

Obviously, shooting with her was "not that important" to you and and was reflected in your lack of a timely response and your posting to whine about the situation on here.

In the future, if you do not TRULY have an interest in working with a model (out of town or otherwise), stop replying to them when they contact you and telling them that you wish to work with them.  You are wasting their time as well as yours.

To complain about the model being frustrated because YOU didn't respond in a timely manner only makes YOU look bad.

Feb 16 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Champion Hamilton

New York, New York, US

This is a major part of why I don't take text scheduling seriously. I can cover the basic introduction online. After that, it's taken more seriously when we speak by voice to schedule an in person meeting. Anything else online is just chit chat. Email is understandable if you want to put things in writing. That is of course after you speak.

We've all dealt with our share of flakes in some way I'm sure. The problem comes around when those who change there mind about shooting don't just say it. If your schedule is too full, fine just say it. If you've found someone else you'd rather work with, just say it. There's never a reason to waste someone elses time. You should take their scheduling time as seriously as you take your own.

Feb 16 06 08:07 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

"30 emails to nowhere"

I love this and feel like it should be trade marked somehow.  Like on a T-shirt in a red circle with a line through it.

Feb 16 06 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

lawsonpix

Havre de Grace, Maryland, US

I had a similar situation.  I did a shoot with a girl.  Then invited her to do a second shoot.  She was very agreeable.  But after 4 schedule tries I'm beginning to wonder just how committed she is.  She is my highest rated model.  Her sister says she's a "bitch"  So I guess that’s the “peopleâ€? part of this business.  Maybe I shouldn't have told her she was so highly rated.  Sadly we haven't been able to hook up.  She keeps asking me when though.  I'll just shoot the girls who can work around my dates.  I don't really have time to be chasing people.

Feb 16 06 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

DeBoer Photography wrote:

It sounds to me like you are reading more "tone" into this message than what is really there...and this could be your own loss as well as the model's.

If you wanted to work with her, what is so wrong with giving her a call to confirm a date?  She was excited to be IN YOUR AREA and thought you were looking forward to shooting her shortly after her arrival.  She hasn't heard back from you to confirm things and is wondering what is up.  Perhaps she even declined working with others...thinking she would be shooting with you?

Obviously, shooting with her was "not that important" to you and and was reflected in your lack of a timely response and your posting to whine about the situation on here.

In the future, if you do not TRULY have an interest in working with a model (out of town or otherwise), stop replying to them when they contact you and telling them that you wish to work with them.  You are wasting their time as well as yours.

To complain about the model being frustrated because YOU didn't respond in a timely manner only makes YOU look bad.

I agree with this post here.....

Feb 16 06 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

VikyL wrote:
You have no idea how frustrating (or maybe you do?) it can be to try to communicate and set up shoots with other members of this site.  I've been contacted by countless photographers wanting to shoot.  'Sure,' I say, 'here are the days I'm generally available.  Pick a date and time and location and tell me what to bring.'  And they...e-mail me some more.  And 'Pick a date,' I say.  And they e-mail me anything but a date.  'A date!  A date!'  I say (you time wasting jerks, I think).  And then...they never e-mail again.  I have conversations in my inbox 30 or so e-mails long that just stop with the photographer never getting back to me.  And I give up on them.

It sounds like your model got a little frustrated.  Was she mean?  Not particularly.  Just a little demanding which sometimes you have to be.  Sometimes I just want to mail photographers and say 'Look: you want to shoot?  Yes or no.  Tell me now, all the details or never speak to me again, because I have better things to do.'  Of course I would never actually do that, but I've been sorely, sorely tempted.

This has happened quite a bit with models I've been communicating with as well. It's like:

Model: I really want to shoot with you.
Me: Cool; let me know when you're available and we'll set something up.
Model:

And sometimes they'll contact me again and play the same game. Or, I'll get someone who seems really interested, and then not respond when I respond to their email. It's really weird... Why do they contact me and then just go away? I've pretty much stopped contacting people online because of this. I try to work with people I
ve worked with already, or find models some other way.

-Pat-

Feb 17 06 04:01 am Link