Forums > General Industry > Outfit Overkill?

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

Is it okay to wear the same outfit for different photographers? Many photographer request that I rewear outfits that they see in my other photos. How many times can you do the same outfit before it because overkill? (Considering I have a limited wardrobe)

Feb 17 06 03:51 pm Link

Model

carinacomeau

Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Being new, I have no idea...but maybe you should mix and match...thats what I do, because I have NO clothes.

Carina

Feb 17 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

I got Quite a few outfits i like to shoot over and over...Just gets better.

Alot of my models also have thier favorites.

Its not the Outfit....Its You!!

I can shoot outfits all day long...No Fun!!

(:--------

Hj

Feb 17 06 03:57 pm Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

a lot of photographer's I workl with say nothing I've shot in before.

Feb 17 06 03:59 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

I only shoot an outfit again if I didn't get the kinds of shots I wanted with it in the first shoot.  You don't want to shoot with one photographer and get great shots in an outfit, and then use the same outfit with another and get good shots in it, because you are only going to be able to really use like one of those shots.  But if you weren't happy with the shots you got with one photographer and you can't use any of the pictures or you feel like you can do better - then that's when I wear an outfit again smile

Feb 17 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

I would prefer to shoot a model in different outfits...

Feb 17 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Good question Stacy.
I say yes it’s ok to wear the same outfit, but keep in mind that you want to be adding what you want or need to your portfolio as well as gaining experience modeling. Do not keep added the same look, diversify whenever possible.

I buy some wardrobe for certain models I shoot with because I know what I want to shoot when I see the outfit as well as what size most of the regular model I shoot wear. This chart helps and yes, I carry it with me in my wallet.
http://www.metrication.com/clothing/dresses.htm

Depending on the shoot your doing will dictate what you wear.

•    If you’re designing the theme of the shoot, then you should have your wardrobe planned out.
•    If the photographer plans the theme of the shoot, they should help with the wardrobe at least in design (ideas of what to wear).

Feb 17 06 04:03 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

I try not to wear the same outfits over and over.  One thing to try if you have a limited wardrobe (I do, too - it sucks being broke!) is to put things together that you would NEVER wear in public.  White pants with a white shirt, in the middle of winter = bad in public, good in photos.  Hot pink and Kelly green = maybe not in public, turns out great in photos.  Just dig through your closet if you're coming up short before a shoot and put things together that seem completely off the wall.  Chances are, they'll produce some of the coolest shots you get.  Have fun playing dress up!

Feb 17 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Stacy wrote:
Is it okay to wear the same outfit for different photographers? Many photographer request that I rewear outfits that they see in my other photos. How many times can you do the same outfit before it because overkill? (Considering I have a limited wardrobe)

Stacy, if this involves the item I like, don't sweat it.  When we finally get to shoot, if you feel it's been over used, let's use something else.  I want our photos to be beneficial to BOTH of us.  Though it would be new for me, I don't want it be old hat and played out for yours.  There is, in my opinion, definately a limit.  What good is having new content in your portfolio if it's the same pose same outfit?  Same is true of certain locations.  I don't care to use my parent's living room as much anymore because...well...I'm bored with it.

Feb 17 06 04:17 pm Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
Good question Stacy.
I say yes it’s ok to wear the same outfit, but keep in mind that you want to be adding what you want or need to your portfolio as well as gaining experience modeling. Do not keep added the same look, diversify whenever possible.

I buy some wardrobe for certain models I shoot with because I know what I want to shoot when I see the outfit as well as what size most of the regular model I shoot wear. This chart helps and yes, I carry it with me in my wallet.
http://www.metrication.com/clothing/dresses.htm

Depending on the shoot your doing will dictate what you wear.

•    If you’re designing the theme of the shoot, then you should have your wardrobe planned out.
•    If the photographer plans the theme of the shoot, they should help with the wardrobe at least in design (ideas of what to wear).

btw that looks way off! that labels me as a size 10 in dresses! I normally wear like a 3.The biggest dress I've ever worn succesfully is a 6...

Feb 17 06 04:22 pm Link

Model

kumi

San Francisco, California, US

for me and my latex...

i try to change my wardrobe around with different photographers tho sometimes it can be difficult since i'm always on the road. although it can be interesting to see how different photographers like to showcase or feature an article of clothing, it can also become pretty reduntant and well, boring. it's one thing to shoot say, a girl in a basic pair of latex gloves, but to have a one of a kind showpiece shot over and over again is overkill and to me, negates the uniqueness of the garment and de-value it. i think, if you're going to shoot something special, then you should try and make it count.

some outfits i wont wear again. some outfits i think should not be worn again for a shoot if the best image has already been taken.
for example, the red latex chinese dress i wore almost 10 years ago and was featured on the cover of a popular fetish book shot by steve diet goedde is something i would not wear again. many photographers have asked, in order to replicate the same sort of feeling, but there's no way that would be possible. heh. especially now since the dress is 'melting' and has pretty much disintegrated.

but then i am also always visiting my latex companies when i travel in order to pick up and design new outfits. with certain outfits and pieces, once i describe them, some photographers just want to shoot them first. but sometimes, i can think of which photographers i've worked with already and know that some of them would be able to capture the latex best.

one of the reasons why i do charge the rates i do, is because i do have this wardrobe to go along with the experience. i have designs and pieces that no one else has (or never will depending on the outfit/designer). i work hard to keep my collection up to date and constantly fresh with the latest kinky patterns and colors, as well as timeless fetish basics. I'm also continuously on the lookout for new companies and items with fresh ideas when i travel that most people are not familiar with except in certain localized circles.

um. yea. so . er, yea.

wonder if that made sense.
gah.

Feb 17 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

When the model brings his or her own clothing, I tend to shoot multi-article ensembles.  Sometimes I'll look through the photos she has and say "Hey, why don't you bring those shoes from such&such photo" or "I'd like to do something with that jacket from whatever picture."  Generally, when I do something like that, I have a totally different take on the item so it won't really look the same.  I try not to ever shoot the exact same outfit of which someone already has photos.

Just don't push it when it comes to repeating items.  Besides, you can always set aside a small fund which you can use to purchase an item for a shoot and return it if it's in resale-able condition.  That's what I do...

Feb 17 06 04:34 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

what if the photog requests it? Should there be a point that I need to politely turn them down?

Feb 17 06 04:35 pm Link

Model

Amanda Jeanne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Well, generally I do not shoot the same outfit twice. Only if there's a way of making it look completely different (with other accessories, shoes, hair, etc).

Buuuut - if the photographer is doing TFP, then I do think its only fair to bring the outfit he requested, as well as other ones. If you get some good shots in your other outfits, great for you. If he gets some great shots in the outfit he had in mind, works for him. Chances are you are BOTH looking to expand your portfolios.

Also: for models with a limited wardrobe/budget (i know the feeling) - it pays off to purchase a nude thong, nude bra, and a nice pair of black stillettos. If you can get sexy white heels too, thats always a plus. I purchased these items 2 years ago and still constantly get asked to bring them to shoots and shows. You would not believe the amount of models who do not have appropriate shoes - I'm not knocking them though, I actually bring extra for any girls that can use them.

Other than that... borrow from friends!!

Feb 17 06 06:03 pm Link