Forums > General Industry > How much control are you willing to give up?

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

Howdy folks.  I was in another thread about professional shooters and I got into a discussion with a pro shooter.  He raised some interesting points and as I was replying a thought about this topic.  I shoot as a hobbyist - I've never gotten paid to do photography, I make my $$$ making video games, doing filmwork, and gallery shows.  For every gig that I take I've declined quite a few - I only take on 2 or 3 gigs per year.  For the one's I decline I simply didn't like the concept and\or the team or I felt that I had no control - I was just being hired as a "wrist"...  Now I know that people have bills to pay - but I also know that their are quite a few professionals in here that can stop shooting for the next 3 months and not be worried. 

So my questions are
1) How much creative control would you give up before declining a gig?

and

2) have you always been selective or is this something new? (I know for me even when I was broke I'd walk away from a job if I didn't like it even if the pay was good...)

anyways - I'd like to hear from everybody esp. the pros (you don't have to put out how much you make - but I am interested in hearing the input from the pros on this subject)

Feb 17 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I walked away from commercial photography when I woke up one morning and realized I had little or no control over my photography.  That was something like 14 years ago.  I've never regreted that decision.

-Don

Feb 17 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Same as with Don.

When you get paid, then it's the client who rules - and as it should be.  So I make my living doing something else, and then have total control over my photography (although I always welcome input from bright and imaginative models!).  Don't get to do a lot, but I do get to do it as I choose.

Feb 17 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

I'll sometimes let an assistant drive.... that is about it.

Feb 17 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

Back when I was doing commercial work, how much creative control I had was never a factor I thought about.  The only question I asked myself was whether I could deliver what the client wanted.  In the end, there was always a lot of give and take.  Ad managers, art directors, and marketing execs always seem to have ideas that seemed to defy physics (and the budget).  The fact is, I was paid to do my best to deliver something that made their concept work. 

I wouldn't trade places with those guys to save my life.  Ad agencies must put up with more crap from their clients than anyone else on the planet.  When it comes to ads, everyone involved at he client company has a reaction and an opinion, all of which are based far more on emotional response than on any kind of real science.  In the end you're lucky if you've please more than one or two of them.  I've seen excellent ads completely reworked by marketing execs to the point where you wanted to disassociate yourself from what finally appeared in print.

The Art of CIP wrote:
2) have you always been selective or is this something new?

Now I shoot strictly for enjoyment and I keep all the control to myself.  :-)

-Dave

Feb 17 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

and

2) have you always been selective or is this something new? (I know for me even when I was broke I'd walk away from a job if I didn't like it even if the pay was good...)

If it is a PAID gig...

1.  The client decides what the results should look like.  If they give me license for "creativity," then I exercise it.  Otherwise, I shoot what the client wants.

2. I turn down jobs all the time...for reasons as simple as "I don't like the client." smile

BTW, you make games?  So do I.  smile

Regards,

Denoy

Feb 17 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

I shoot mostly on spec so I have control of the show 99% of the time. The few assigmnets I do get the client usually is pretty flexible...if there not and a PIA i just refuse it.

Paul

Feb 17 06 11:50 pm Link