Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Experts in Vintage wardrobe, I need your help!

Photographer

Les Sterling

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I'm working on dressing a low-budget shoot, and I need a little help -

Flash back to the 50's and 60's, when no one went anywhere without a hat.

Women would, on occasion, wear a veil/net/thing that wasn't attached to a hat, presumably to contain their massive beehive hairdos. Usually this was a formal thing: church, weddings, etc.

It was like a hairnet, but dressier, and had no elastic around the edges, and was a wider weave, often embellished with bows, or little flowers...

Now the questions...
Do these fashion anomalies have a name? What is that name? And are they still made? Where can I lay hands on a few of them?

Thanks!

Feb 21 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Self-inflicted bump...

Feb 21 06 10:55 pm Link

Model

Tabitha Hale

Altoona, Pennsylvania, US

It's called a "snood" and I believe you can still find them at low cost accessory places like "Claire's".
Good luck on your project!
Tab smile

Feb 21 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

There is a hairnet type of accessory called a snood.

here are a couple of links to what one looks like: http://www.landysforgifts.com/i/tn_new_003.jpg
http://www.crystalinks.com/snood.jpg
http://www.mybabyjo.com/hair/snood3.jpg

They were very popular in medeival times, and then it was more commonly worn in the 40's, to accompany war rolls or similar styles.

Not sure if thats what you're thinking of...

xo

Feb 21 06 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Tabitha Hale wrote:
It's called a "snood" and I believe you can still find them at low cost accessory places like "Claire's".
Good luck on your project!
Tab smile

Ah, beat me wink

Feb 21 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Almost! Kinda like that, but starched, and worn like a hat.
Pulled down over top of the head.

https://www.michellesvintagejewelry.com/images/225batched/a152s.jpg

Imagine this without the hat part...

Feb 21 06 11:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I belive its just a stylized veil, you can easily make one unless you want an orriginal. I belive they usually come with a hat and is detachable. for the most part they attache into the hair with a small decorative hair comb. just make sure that you have gloves that match the veil. in that time gloves always matched the hat and the shoes . they were very matchy smile good luck.

Feb 21 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
I belive its just a stylized veil, you can easily make one unless you want an orriginal. I belive they usually come with a hat and is detachable. for the most part they attache into the hair with a small decorative hair comb. just make sure that you have gloves that match the veil. in that time gloves always matched the hat and the shoes . they were very matchy smile good luck.

Yea, I don't think they had a special name. Just a veil. The were purely decorative and didn't really add much support to a 'do. A friend of mine made one for Prom and she added feathers and beads and it was spectacular.

I know that some vintage stores will carry them, for sure. At least, in NYC...lol. And I've seen them in a couple of fancy-dress stores in Toronto, but very expensive.

xo

Feb 22 06 01:07 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Nope. She's right. It's a snood.

Feb 22 06 11:22 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

I know you said you are working on a low-budget shoot however, you may want to invest in a hair stylist.  A highly trained and good hair stylist will know where to get one and create the look you are going for.  If not, call a few hair salons and ask them where to get one.  Tell them the look you are going for and where to get the hair accessories. 

Also, go to Claires and ask for a hair net.  (http://www.claires.com)  Trust me if you say a "snood", the girls are so young at the stores they wouldn't have a clue.

Hair stores are good also.  Make a few calls or go for a look.

Feb 22 06 11:39 am Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

Side Effects Studio wrote:
Almost! Kinda like that, but starched, and worn like a hat.
Pulled down over top of the head.

https://www.michellesvintagejewelry.com/images/225batched/a152s.jpg

Imagine this without the hat part...

You can find that netting material at many fabric stores for pretty cheap.I use bobby pins to pin it down and maybe some silk flowers to cover up any flaws. That style is more 40's though, not really 50's or 60's.

Feb 22 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Hair Veils or Snoods.....were more in style in the 1940`s and early 50`s with shorter hairstyles, (I`ve found quite a few boxed with English makers, so quite possible that they were in style there later....? The UK kept lot`s of old vintage styles in-vogue till the early 1970`s one of them being art-deco furniture

Early to mid 1960`s were dominated by the Beehive and Bouffant, and I`ve NEVER seen veils or nets used with these high standing hair styles, veils and also hats with veils look much better with short hairstyles anyway
(In the early 1960`s Pillboxes were "in" becasue of Jackie K. but the hat craze died out about 1966 with the whole 1960`s scene)

A Snood with a 1940`s hairstyle would be a winner

Feb 22 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Cool - thanks for the info! I'll poke around and see what i can find. I remember my mom had a stack of them in assorted colors, some had rhinestones, some had little velvet bows, and when I asked her what they were called she said "nets" smile

They were still around into the 70's in the midwest US - I remember going to church as a wee lad and the ladies would have them on over their very helmet-y hair. Didn't really seem to be for supporting the architecture of the hairstyle, just dress-up.

I found a few sprinkled around on Ebay as part of hat lots. By the way, if you're looking for vintage hats, good lord Ebay is the way! No shortage!

Thanks again!

Feb 23 06 12:09 am Link