Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Typical studio wardrobe accommodations?

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

What percentage of studios that you visit have accommodations for wardrobe?  I am new at modeling, but have noticed that some of the studios I have been to don't have places to hang up a wardrobe or have any equipment for getting travel wrinkles out of clothing.  It seems to me that all studios that shoot models (with clothes) should have two things: 1.) A clothing rack- preferably with wheels, and 2.) A commercial steamer like the type used in retail stores.  I have brought my own rack and steamer with me on several recent shoots and it has been very helpful, but it is a bit of a hassle to haul around.

Feb 24 06 10:07 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

most good studios do have steamer and wardrobe racks but I have been in a few RV's not equiped so you have to be prepared

ALWAys bring your wardrobe pressed and on hangers to every shoot.   I useually ask the agencies I deal with to please have the models bring wardrobe pressed and ready to wear because it takes a lot of time to hang and steam stuff

Feb 24 06 10:10 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
I have brought my own rack and steamer with me on several recent shoots and it has been very helpful, but it is a bit of a hassle to haul around.

it seems like this is the best thing for you to do

as the model, you have to be prepared for anything....the photographer (especially if they have a studio) has enough stuff already - so i don't think it would be fair to expect them to have these things. 

although, I have worked in studios that do have racks and they do prove very helpful, but I don't think it should be mandatory or anything for a studio to have them

it's kind of our responsibility to make sure that we come with un-wrinkled clothing smile

Feb 24 06 10:10 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Honey-Please,

You are a bit silly to think they "SHOULD" have a steamer.  A good steamer is not cheap and most photographers are thinking about... "photography" and not the detail of the clothes.  Most photographers I've seen can't dress themselves in anything but jeans and a T-shirt.  Most photographers would think you "SHOULD" have your clothes already press.  As a stylist, I come with the clothes ready to wear or I have my own steamer just in case.

Bottom line, you must come prepared and don't expect anything extra.  Don't expect a rack, a table, a makeup area, a decent dressing room, a toilet in the restroom... don't expect it.  Just be ready and if it is all there, then it is all good.

Feb 24 06 10:30 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:

it seems like this is the best thing for you to do

as the model, you have to be prepared for anything....the photographer (especially if they have a studio) has enough stuff already - so i don't think it would be fair to expect them to have these things. 

although, I have worked in studios that do have racks and they do prove very helpful, but I don't think it should be mandatory or anything for a studio to have them

it's kind of our responsibility to make sure that we come with un-wrinkled clothing smile

I use those commercial garment bags that clamp onto the hangers and keep everything separated.  I always do prep everything before I get to the studio. - I just happen to have all that stuff because I am in the clothing business. I was just curious what was typical and if I needed to continue bringing all this stuff with me as I get more into working with studios.

Feb 24 06 10:30 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Narvell wrote:
Honey-Please,

You are a bit silly to think they "SHOULD" have a steamer.  A good steamer is not cheap and most photographers are thinking about... "photography" and not the detail of the clothes.  Most photographers I've seen can't dress themselves in anything but jeans and a T-shirt.  Most photographers would think you "SHOULD" have your clothes already press.  As a stylist, I come with the clothes ready to wear or I have my own steamer just in case.

Bottom line, you must come prepared and don't expect anything extra.  Don't expect a rack, a table, a makeup area, a decent dressing room, a toilet in the restroom... don't expect it.  Just be ready and if it is all there, then it is all good.

Ok. This is good to know.  I will continue to bring all the stuff.  I even throw a pop-up changing room in the back of my truck in case it's needed.  I'm not shy, but you never know when the photog might have their church group there for shoot smile

thanks for the advice all.

Feb 24 06 10:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

Marcia Dionne

Frisco, Texas, US

Work with me, it's un-wronkled clothing smile

Feb 24 06 10:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Marcia Dionne wrote:

Work with me, it's un-wronkled clothing smile

LOL!

Feb 24 06 10:40 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US