Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > What is a stylist vs MUA?

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I know that this is a dumb question, but I have to ask it.  I was on a couple big budget shoots several years ago for some catalog companies in NY and Chicago.  (I was consulting on lighting and blue-screen compositing issues and was not directly involved in the shoots.)  They had a team of hair and makeup artists and stylists doing completely different things it seemed.  The hair and makeup artists were responsible for the model's faces and hair, while the stylists seamed to be working alongside the photographer to make sure the clothing was presented properly for each shot.  The stylists seemed to be running in and out of the shot to straiten wrinkles, move props or change the position of the clothing on the model.

The reason why I ask is that I have read on some threads here at MM that photographers are mostly concerned about the lighting and composition of a shot and often rely on the model and MUA to make sure that the wardrobe and hair look good before the shoot begins.  From the model's perspective, it is difficult to see what's going on from the camera (unless a big mirror is used).  So far, in my limited TFP experiences, I have been lucky that most shots worked out fine, but there are always some images with a collar turned down, hair flyaways, or wrinkles in the wrong places, etc. that would have been better shots if I had seen the problem.

Do any of you work with photographers in teams where as one does the prep on the models, the other helps stylize the model for the shot and keeps a vigil watch of the minor details in the frame of the shot?

I could be confusing some activities with assistants.  But given that most assistants are not highly experienced artists (and have a much smaller pay scale), I am a little confused on who does what in general industry terms.

Feb 24 06 07:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Jay Dezelic wrote:
I know that this is a dumb question, but I have to ask it.  I was on a couple big budget shoots several years ago for some catalog companies in NY and Chicago.  (I was consulting on lighting and blue-screen compositing issues and was not directly involved in the shoots.)  They had a team of hair and makeup artists and stylists doing completely different things it seemed.  The hair and makeup artists were responsible for the model's faces and hair, while the stylists seamed to be working alongside the photographer to make sure the clothing was presented properly for each shot.  The stylists seemed to be running in and out of the shot to straiten wrinkles, move props or change the position of the clothing on the model.

The reason why I ask is that I have read on some threads here at MM that photographers are mostly concerned about the lighting and composition of a shot and often rely on the model and MUA to make sure that the wardrobe and hair look good before the shoot begins.  From the model's perspective, it is difficult to see what's going on from the camera (unless a big mirror is used).  So far, in my limited TFP experiences, I have been lucky that most shots worked out fine, but there are always some images with a collar turned down, hair flyaways, or wrinkles in the wrong places, etc. that would have been better shots if I had seen the problem.

Do any of you work with photographers in teams where as one does the prep on the models, the other helps stylize the model for the shot and keeps a vigil watch of the minor details in the frame of the shot?

I could be confusing some activities with assistants.  But given that most assistants are not highly experienced artists (and have a much smaller pay scale), I am a little confused on who does what in general industry terms.

ok a make-up artist is just that, responsible for the skin, and in some cases the hair too. So if there is any skin being shot this is the make-up artists job to make it look beautiful.
A Stylist is responsible for the clothing and the overall look, in some cases a make-up artist and the stylist work together on the "look" of the shoot.
when I am on set ( I am a make-up artist) my job is to watch the skin and hair, I make sure that the make-up doesnt move change or melt smile I can look in the lense of some photographers camers this helps  to see what my eyes can pick up on .
My job is all about the details. I often double as a stylist on some shoots, I watch the clothing and make sure its sitting right and pinned ect if needed. I have styled a couple of shoots but I prefer to just focus on the make-up and hair,
Some photographers like to let the "stlye" team take over and some don't. It really depends on the team and if they work well together, I have worked with stylist who freek out if you sudgest something out side of your "job" but other like the other veiw, another set of eyes on set can be a great bonus. So I think as a model you should find out how this team works together , some teams are new.
most shoots I have worked on the stylist directs the shoots, and on others its been my direction and on others it has been the photographers direction.
I think that it might have something to do with who's "shoot" or "idea" is.
you might be a model who needs more direction or not. but often its the model who is being told what to do. smile
hope that helps smile ..Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Feb 24 06 07:54 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
ok a make-up artist is just that, responsible for the skin, and in some cases the hair too. So if there is any skin being shot this is the make-up artists job to make it look beautiful....
A Stylist is responsible for the clothing and the overall look, in some cases a make-up artist and the stylist work together on the "look" of the shoot.
when I am on set ( I am a make-up artist) my job is to watch the skin and hair, I make sure that the make-up doesnt move change or melt smile I can look in the lense of some photographers camers this helps  to see what my eyes can pick up on .
My job is all about the details. I often double as a stylist on some shoots, I watch the clothing and make sure its sitting right and pinned ect if needed. I have styled a couple of shoots but I prefer to just focus on the make-up and hair,
Some photographers like to let the "stlye" team take over and some don't. It really depends on the team and if they work well together, I have worked with stylist who freek out if you sudgest something out side of your "job" but other like the other veiw, another set of eyes on set can be a great bonus. So I think as a model you should find out how this team works together , some teams are new.
most shoots I have worked on the stylist directs the shoots, and on others its been my direction and on others it has been the photographers direction.
I think that it might have something to do with who's "shoot" or "idea" is.
you might be a model who needs more direction or not. but often its the model who is being told what to do. smile
hope that helps smile ..Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Great explanation! It certainly clears up some mystery for me.  Thanks!

Feb 24 06 08:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

no prob i know how it is being new smile or not sure of what your supposed to do. smile
I found out very quickly what not to do on set smile

Feb 24 06 08:06 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Shouldn't this forum be labeled Stylist/MUA Chat then? smile

Feb 24 06 08:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

yah but for some reson they lump us all together as one topic, you can do nails , body paint, do make-up, special effects make-up, style shoots, or a clothing buyer  and you will be classified as a "stylist" I think we just got used to it, if you notice most make-up artist have the words make-up in thier screen names smile

Feb 24 06 08:22 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

yah but for some reson they lump us all together as one topic, you can do nails , body paint, do make-up, special effects make-up, style shoots, or a clothing buyer  and you will be classified as a "stylist" I think we just got used to it, if you notice most make-up artist have the words make-up in thier screen names smile

More dumb qustions... Are these then subcategories of the term "stylist"?  If I were budgeting a shoot for my clothing line, how would i specify what I needed if I nedded an MUA and someone to pay attention to how the clothing was presented?

Feb 24 06 08:32 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Olivier

Let's not forget Hairstylists , we are peoples too ( even if there is not many of us around ) smile

Feb 24 06 08:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Jay Dezelic wrote:

More dumb qustions... Are these then subcategories of the term "stylist"?  If I were budgeting a shoot for my clothing line, how would i specify what I needed if I nedded an MUA and someone to pay attention to how the clothing was presented?

I would budg for a make-up artist and one who can do hair or have a seperate hair person, and if you need a good selection of clothing hire a clothing stylist too.

Feb 24 06 08:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Olivier wrote:

Let's not forget Hairstylists , we are peoples too ( even if there is not many of us around ) smile

ooops my bad how could i have forgotten about the hair people smile

Feb 24 06 08:39 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I would budg for a make-up artist and one who can do hair or have a seperate hair person, and if you need a good selection of clothing hire a clothing stylist too.

If I am already providing the clothing (my line), would I hire a "clothing stylist" to make sure that the clothing is presented properly in each shot? or would I be looking for a general "stylist" for that purpose?

Feb 24 06 08:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

well if its your line you are now the stylist and this is your shoot.

Feb 24 06 11:00 pm Link