Atlanta, Georgia, US

area291 wrote:
Newest member of Aerosmith?

lol

Feb 28 06 08:33 am Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

As for me, I hope to God I never have to sit through another movie where a man dresses up as a woman and NOBODY but the audience can see that it's obviously a man in drag.  For it's time, Mrs. Doubtfire was a funny movie.  But after seeing it on cable over, and over, and over again (my kids STILL like the movie, much to my dismay), one just has to sit there and go, "OH C'MON!!!!".  Then you've got Martin Lawrence doing his rendition with "Big Momma's House" and the smash hit follow-up, "Big Momma's House 2" (how long did that one last? One weekend??).  And don't even get me started on "White Chicks". 

It's time to for Hollywood to drop the whole "Tootsie" fantasy, in which men can transform themselves with just a little makeup, a wig and a stuffed bra.  Let's face it, even after at least 3 hours in a special effects artists chair, WE can see that it's a man.  Yet, they want us to believe that the lead character can get dressed up as a woman each day, and pull it off even with their closest friends and relatives.  Now, I know Tyler's character is supposed to actually be a woman in the "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" movie...but how you watch it and not keep saying to yourself, "but it's a dude?". 

Doesn't make sense to me, so I consider it a waste of good money to produce, watch, or even buy these films.  If you need a woman for the role, then put a woman in there.  Maybe it worked for Shakespeare, since women weren't allowed on stage, but if they want to do it today, then I think they should make the actors take female hormones before production.  Let's see how many want to take the role after THAT.

Feb 28 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Ed Burns Photography wrote:
And don't even get me started on "White Chicks".

OMG, I saw parts of it and after ten minutes, I switched the channel... OMG... I see it clearly in front of me... that was soo... soo stu... stup... omg... stuphttps://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/Smly-Puke-20.gif

Feb 28 06 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

okay what about his writing? his directing? his success?
I shall reserve all my opinions

Feb 28 06 01:59 pm Link

Model

Yanique

BRONX, New York, US

images by elahi wrote:

I think he's an extremely talented man...he's a perfect example of sucess...just 5/6 yrs ago he was homeless on the street!!  Now look at him...and as far as the comment about Big Mama's House and referencing Tyler Perry to his dressing in drag..he was playing Madea way before big mama's house through his on stage plays and it's funny regardless..go Tyler!! keep making us laugh

Feb 28 06 02:02 pm Link

Model

D Cooper

Orlando, Florida, US

Tyler Perry is a genius!

Feb 28 06 02:10 pm Link

Model

carinacomeau

Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Beyond talented. "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" is one of my favorite movies for sure. It had me in stitches, and in tears (Yes, I'm a SAP). I've never watched a movie that got so many different reactions out of me. In regards to it being another one of those "drag" movies, I don't see it as a "tootsie" fantasy at all. (Although Tootsie was an awesome movie and shouldn't be used as a dis.) I don't think "drag" movies should be dissed whatsoever. "Tu Wong Foo" was AMAZING...I happen to have a lot of friends who are drag queens and they're the coolest and most fun people I know. Not only that, but Rupaul, is the definition of diva, would "Wigstock" be concidered a drag movie to you too because she's in it? (Yes, I love her..soo much!..lol) Tyler Perry is amazing as a producer/writer/actor. I can't wait to see his new movie, I hope it's just as amazing.

Feb 28 06 02:13 pm Link

Model

Jakki Browne

Los Angeles, California, US

images by elahi wrote:

I think he has done an excellent job capitalizing on the African-American movie goer.  We all know that black films don't pull in the revenue that "mainstream" films do so he is making studios see the box-office potential of black films.  I remember when the first film came out, there was a news article that said it really must be a black thing, because no one had ever heard of Tyler Perry and they were shocked that this unknown (to them at least) was #1 at the box office.  Beyond that I don't really like his films, while they are funny, they seem a little (ok alot) over the top.  I want to see some black films that are creative beyond a slap-stick comedy, romantic comedy or a hood drama.  There are so many experiences beyond these genres.

Feb 28 06 02:25 pm Link

Model

Adeforall

Houston, Alaska, US

Go Jakki..
I've not watch the movie but I know everyone is talking about it. Can't wait to go to the theatre this weekend to watch it. Drag or no Drag..people said it's funny.
This is the genesis of good thing for our black writers.

Feb 28 06 02:33 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

i love him, he is so funny as a mann or woman.  i would like to meet him too

Feb 28 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Furious Styles Photo

Dallas, Texas, US

Jakki Browne wrote:

I think he has done an excellent job capitalizing on the African-American movie goer.  We all know that black films don't pull in the revenue that "mainstream" films do so he is making studios see the box-office potential of black films.  I remember when the first film came out, there was a news article that said it really must be a black thing, because no one had ever heard of Tyler Perry and they were shocked that this unknown (to them at least) was #1 at the box office.  Beyond that I don't really like his films, while they are funny, they seem a little (ok alot) over the top.  I want to see some black films that are creative beyond a slap-stick comedy, romantic comedy or a hood drama.  There are so many experiences beyond these genres.

Thats because if you look at your tickets, the theaters are selling you tickets to other movies. They do this to increase the ratings on non-black shall I say movies. To prevent this, look at your tickets and if you have been sold a ticket to a movie that you didnt request, go back to the window and ask for the appropiate one. And if they tell you that they are sold out, its a lie because most theaters have the new digital print out.

Feb 28 06 02:52 pm Link

Model

Jakki Browne

oops!

Feb 28 06 03:11 pm Link

Model

Jakki Browne

Furious Styles Photo wrote:
Thats because if you look at your tickets, the theaters are selling you tickets to other movies. They do this to increase the ratings on non-black shall I say movies. To prevent this, look at your tickets and if you have been sold a ticket to a movie that you didnt request, go back to the window and ask for the appropiate one. And if they tell you that they are sold out, its a lie because most theaters have the new digital print out.

That and black films don't get the distribution that mainstream films do.  And even when they have a good opening weekend they still don't add any additional theaters.  Steve Harvey spoke about that with Kings of Comedy and I saw online that the studio does not plan to add any additional theaters for the Tyler Perry film.  They said they felt the films was in the "right" theaters.

Feb 28 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jakki Browne wrote:

yes yes

Feb 28 06 03:13 pm Link

Model

aston

Brooklyn, New York, US

omg tyler perry is soooooooooooooo funny

Feb 28 06 03:15 pm Link

Model

aston

Brooklyn, New York, US

omg tyler perry is soooooooooooooo funny

Feb 28 06 03:16 pm Link

Model

-Katrina-

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I havnt read the posts...but I have no interest in seeing the movies..."Diary..." or whatever the new one is. But for all my people out there that know the plays...

"I can do bad all by myself"
"Madea's Family Reunion"
"Madea's Class Reniun"
"Madea Goes 2 Jail"
"Diary of  Mad Black Woman"

and Im sure a forget like...2, but i dont understand why he would make the play, and then like...do a movie, like noone saw the damn play. It feels like a black-white thing, or like, mainstream-non-mainstreams thing. From what i hear, from people who kno about the play, the movies's arent a good representation, but i guess...

I dunno, the plays are great...movies...i have no idea

Feb 28 06 03:21 pm Link

Model

Jakki Browne

-Katrina- wrote:
I and Im sure a forget like...2, but i dont understand why he would make the play, and then like...do a movie, like noone saw the damn play. It feels like a black-white thing, or like, mainstream-non-mainstreams thing. From what i hear, from people who kno about the play, the movies's arent a good representation, but i guess...

I dunno, the plays are great...movies...i have no idea

Many films are adaptations of plays, books and historical occurrences.  There are limitations within the theater that you don't have when shooting a film.

Feb 28 06 03:26 pm Link

Model

aston

Brooklyn, New York, US

and they both madd funny da play and da movie

Feb 28 06 03:29 pm Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Jakki Browne wrote:

Many films are adaptations of plays, books and historical occurrences.  There are limitations within the theater that you don't have when shooting a film.

You go Jakki...tell 'em!

The newest movie that came out is definitely a blockbuster hit, and I dont think that it is a black-white thing with Tyler Perry, it is just a creative thing! I went to go see this movie and I have never had a movie make me laugh, cry, and be angry in a time span of like two minutes, he is definitely a genius and the fact that he came from so little to so much really represents what true success is all about! I would support him in any endeavor and I wish him all the success in the world!

Feb 28 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Well I'm sure I won't make any friends with this comment but here goes...
I really don't like Mr. Perry's material.  His plays were awful.  They are loud
badly acted and full of stereotypes which by the way if anyone else showed
would be panned by Black folks.  Haven't we had enough of men in dresses unless
they look like Rupaul.  I think its sad that while this kinda material is embraced
in our community, playwrites like the late August Wilson are ignored.  Anybody
know Octavia Butler for example?  She was a fantastic writer of Science fiction.
Make one of her books into a play or film.  I dislike Mr. Perry because he recycles
the same tired jokes and problems.  I do admire him for his success and wish him
well.

Feb 28 06 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

UdoR wrote:
OMG, I saw parts of it and after ten minutes, I switched the channel... OMG... I see it clearly in front of me... that was soo... soo stu... stup... omg... stuphttps://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/Smly-Puke-20.gif

So I take it thats not a suggested movie? heh

Feb 28 06 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

never heard of him.....

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Feb 28 06 07:57 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Initially I wasn't interested but I watched Diary Of A Mad Black Woman. Not only was it hilarious, the message was profound. I loved it and am a HUGE fan of Tyler Perry. I remember being in a very pissy mood when the play came on, but by the end, I had laughed and cried, and felt sooo much better!

btw...I did not see the movie. Only a few of the plays...

Feb 28 06 08:07 pm Link

Model

Rene Bugatti

Tacoma, Washington, US

The Plays Were Great, His Movies Were Cool....

I Havent Seen The Newest One Just Yet..

But Hopefully When I Find The Time I Will....

That Would Be Pretty Awesome To Meet Him Inperson...

Mar 01 06 03:11 am Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Well I'm sure I won't make any friends with this comment but here goes...
I really don't like Mr. Perry's material.  His plays were awful.  They are loud
badly acted and full of stereotypes which by the way if anyone else showed
would be panned by Black folks.  Haven't we had enough of men in dresses unless
they look like Rupaul.  I think its sad that while this kinda material is embraced
in our community, playwrites like the late August Wilson are ignored.  Anybody
know Octavia Butler for example?  She was a fantastic writer of Science fiction.
Make one of her books into a play or film.  I dislike Mr. Perry because he recycles
the same tired jokes and problems.  I do admire him for his success and wish him
well.

yepper I know O Butler and I agree...so why and how is he making so much money? Whyare Black folks going to see his films and plays?

Mar 01 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies & Bucks: An Interpretive History of Blacks in American Films (Paperback)
by Donald Bogle

Mar 01 06 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

This classic study of black images in American motion pictures, this year enjoys its thirtieth anniversary of continuous publication through four editions, and is now available in a special hardcover gift edition, having sold over 200,000 copies in paperback. It includes the entire 20th century through black images in film, from the silent era to the unequaled rise of the new African American cinema and stars of today. From Gone with the Wind and Carmen Jones to Shaft, Do the Right Thing, and Bamboozled, Donald Bogle reveals the way the image of blacks in American cinema has changed--and also the shocking way in which it has often remained the same.

Mar 01 06 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Does anybody remember the three plays called Beauty Shop?  The story such
as it was about a full figured Black women who owned a beauty shop.
It had a Black gay man and various women who worked there.  Of course the
gay man was funny and the acting ,horrible, loud and crude but it made money.
Everybody likes to laugh and the most popular shows on BET are the commedies
shows with stand up comics.  Mr. Perry's work reminds me of the Beauty Shop
plays.  They don't have a deeper meaning like the wonderful Raisin in the Sun.
What you see and hear is what you get.  Its full of your mama's or somebodies
on crack.  Just like those gospel 'musicals'  with names like; Please mama don't
eat the government cheese.  I don't think everything has to be deep or have
layers and give us pause to think but it would be nice to have more movies
and plays that do.  I'm waiting for Mr. Perry's next movie; Madea's White House.

Mar 02 06 02:17 am Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Does anybody remember the three plays called Beauty Shop?  The story such
as it was about a full figured Black women who owned a beauty shop.
It had a Black gay man and various women who worked there.  Of course the
gay man was funny and the acting ,horrible, loud and crude but it made money.
Everybody likes to laugh and the most popular shows on BET are the commedies
shows with stand up comics.  Mr. Perry's work reminds me of the Beauty Shop
plays.  They don't have a deeper meaning like the wonderful Raisin in the Sun.
What you see and hear is what you get.  Its full of your mama's or somebodies
on crack.  Just like those gospel 'musicals'  with names like; Please mama don't
eat the government cheese.  I don't think everything has to be deep or have
layers and give us pause to think but it would be nice to have more movies
and plays that do.  I'm waiting for Mr. Perry's next movie; Madea's White House.

yepper I remember Beauty SHop...actually there was a play called
MAMA I WANNA SING even before beauty shop

Mar 02 06 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I remember that play.  Remember The Wiz?  I don't mean every play or musical
has to have a serious message but haven't we moved past men in dresses?
Its the same reason I don't find comics like Eddie Griffith funny.  Its the same
tired jokes about the difference between Whites, Blacks and Asians or the
constant use of the 'n' word.  Tyler Perry has found a formula thats works so he's
sticking to it.  Can't argue with success.  No one saw my last movie I just wish
that he would try something different.

Mar 02 06 09:28 am Link

Model

CASSONE

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

D Cooper wrote:
Tyler Perry is a genius!

Ditto - don't hate - appreciate!  LOL.

Mar 02 06 09:30 am Link

Model

CASSONE

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I feel if it is good - wheter it be a play or a movie - it transcends race, there are no barriers... I laughed and cried - Tyler Perry isn't going anywhere, any time soon, some OTHER people on the other hand have numbered days for thier careers...LOL.  I think it's funny how people can genralize about something they haven't even seen.  Wow!  And they judge something (like a man getting in drag) like it is osmething they know about.  Honey, dahling - until you step into my bugle beaded evening gown and wear my stiletto's don't even come my way with derogatory statements or nonchalant fodder.

All my best,
Cassone

Mar 02 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Don't get me wrong I love some drag queens.  Ru paul comes to mind and some
I've seen at the Baton in Chicago are amazing.  Tyler though just recycles those
tired tough love mama jokes , etc.  I laughed at one of Eddie Griffiths stand up
movies for a minute untill I saw he just kept with the same tired jokes about
White folks and Black folks being different.  Def comedy jam was funny also but
not a steady diet of that stuff.  I just wish he would step out of the mold.  Do
something creative.  I guess its best not to mess with success but very often you
produce something great even if you don't at least you tried.

Mar 02 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

TEAM

Oxnard, California, US

* NOT A DRAG QUEEN * - he played the role that he was most familiar with in order to get it JUST RIGHT!  I met him and interviewed TERRELL CARTER (ladies go to my site to read it) and I must say he is talented.  If these movies did not appeal to you, it's mostly because you can't relate to what a "BIG MOMMA" or "MADEA (which means Mother Dearest)" is.   Kind of like SEINFELD isn't that funny to me.  Granted, they have some funny skits on there but most of it doesn't make me want to keep watching it. 

I'm glad to see that he finally got the money/distribution to make his plays into movies and I only wish that more African Americans/Blacks or others would support this movement.  It's really a big time struggle to do anything "mostly" black in Hollywood and it seems that when they do have a movie, they always use the same actors/actresses.  I'm glad Tyler went and casted some not so popular characters for his plays and movies and look forward to each one he puts out.

Fuze

Mar 02 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hmmm I'm Black and I know plenty of Black mothers who we called Big Mama.
I'm just tired of the same tired ass jokes and problems.  No doubt Tyler is
talented and I wish him success but now that you have made it come with
something new.  Its like Outkast the hip hop boys.  Creative, something new
or The Black eye peas.  By the way I love Seinfield although my wife doesn't get
it.

Mar 02 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

TEAM

Oxnard, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Hmmm I'm Black and I know plenty of Black mothers who we called Big Mama.
I'm just tired of the same tired ass jokes and problems.  No doubt Tyler is
talented and I wish him success but now that you have made it come with
something new.  Its like Outkast the hip hop boys.  Creative, something new
or The Black eye peas.  By the way I love Seinfield although my wife doesn't get
it.

First thing, my pointing out * DRAG QUEEN * was directed to the repeated use of the term in this post.  Second thing, don't you think it's easier for him to bring the scripts he's famous for from the stage to the screen w/o having to start from scratch which would have set him back 5 years?  SO... of course he is going to come with something new, but why not get out there while he can with what he already has?  Makes sense to me.

Mar 02 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I can go with that but I have bootlegs of his awful plays.  Why on earth do
we need to see the same stuff for I think, four plays.  I know, I know they make
money but at some point as an artist you have to strive for better stuff.
I have the same problems with many of Hollywoods sequels.  Someone has a
cool ideal and its repeated again and again untill everyone's sick of it. 
Many things are really a matter of taste and his work isn't for me.  You like it
so thats cool.

Mar 02 06 06:33 pm Link