Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > How to travel for a year and still eat.

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

Ok so I am seriously thinking of taking a year and just bumming around the states photographing scenics and a few fine art nudes here and there. I can sell the scenics and nudes to help pay the way and maybe even submit images to stock. Here is a question though I notice you people who live in the larger cities (I live in a very small town) have these places that farm out temporary workers by the day and that got me to thinking I might be able to spend some time lets say in Miami photographing all those gorgeous woman and enjoy the sun, plus work as needed to further that cause. Thoughts ? anyone with experience working with those temporary service labor things ?

Mar 02 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

sex sells   sexy terry!

Mar 03 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Not sure about the situation here and now, but I used to work for temp agencies while a student in Holland. I sorted plastic car mirror parts; I did the dishes in a factory cafeteria; I worked on the line where recycled bottles came in and did some other crappy stuff.

It did earn me some easy dough, but more than that it convinced me to keep on studying so I never had to share the fate of the other guys there, for whom that work was their present AND their future.

Mar 03 06 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

If you're talking about the ones where they bring a truck at 5-6 a.m. and the people stand around and they pick some to load on the truck...you've got to be kidding?

Have you looked at what those people look like?  I don't know exactly what they do all day...but they look VERY poor and worn...

I bet the work is manual labor and quite demanding....

And they don't always pick everyone.

And if you DID get picked...you may not be able to work your camera for days or weeks after working ONE day...

To plan such a trip, you would need to have a lot of money in reserve...and if you are going to be staying in any place, you will need to have enough money on hand until you find stable employment...

I used to work for Kelly Girl Temp Agency.  Okay...I"m not a girl, but that's besides the point. smile  Although officially, I *was* a "Kelly Girl."

I was basically in a "pool" of other people who had listed the various skills we had.  When a job came up... they contact me with info. about the job and I could decide whether or not I wanted to do it.  In 3 months of being with the service, I got one job that I qualified for that I accepted...it was a data entry job that was supposed to last for ONE WEEK at a specific pay...unfortunately, myself and the other people who showed up were "too fast" and we finished the work in ONE DAY....

Once we finished...we were out of work again... sad

- Denoy

You could try this...get a poloroid camera (and a snake, monkey or parrot)...and hang out around tourist areas in each place you visit...

When an unsuspecting tourist shows up...you thrust the snake, monkey, parrot, whatever on them and ask if they would like a picture for $5.  Do about 10-20 people a day...and you have enough to make a "living" while hanging out.... smile

Mar 03 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Now you are really bragging Terry.  You are going on a one-year vacation with your 20-something year old babe?  lol

Mar 03 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

On another note, I see you've worked with Victoria Anisova.  She works with me, although I have never met her in person... smile  You can ask her about VSP-Poker and she can give you the scoop.

I do offer work that can auto pay you right into your checking account...so you could conceivably travel...shoot for the product and earn $$$ regardless of where you move/travel/live.

Depending upon how popular the models/modules you produce are, you could conceivably finance your trip from this particular income stream.  If you start BEFORE the trip...you'd have money coming in even before the trip starts...and as you make the trip and produce more work...you make more $$$ along the way...

Let me know if you you are interested.

Regards,

Denoy

Mar 03 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Victoria in a strip poker game?

Mar 03 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

lll wrote:
Now you are really bragging Terry.  You are going on a one-year vacation with your 20-something year old babe?  lol

LOL,  Ah such a dream to dream come true:)

Mar 03 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

lll wrote:
Victoria in a strip poker game?

Not just a "strip poker game."  VSP-Poker.  We are the BEST and attract the best models/photographers that we can work with.

Expect to see even more notable names soon.  Many of our models are nationally/internationally published.

Regards,

Denoy

Mar 03 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

I am interested

Mar 03 06 11:33 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Maybe you can work a deal with a publisher for a progressive advance.  Take a topic like "nudes around america" or something like that and pre-schedule a road tour.  With the style of photography referenced on your other thread, it would make a real cool coffee table book.

Mar 03 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Terry Breedlove wrote:
Ok so I am seriously thinking of taking a year and just bumming around the states photographing scenics and a few fine art nudes here and there. I can sell the scenics and nudes to help pay the way and maybe even submit images to stock. Here is a question though I notice you people who live in the larger cities (I live in a very small town) have these places that farm out temporary workers by the day and that got me to thinking I might be able to spend some time lets say in Miami photographing all those gorgeous woman and enjoy the sun, plus work as needed to further that cause. Thoughts ? anyone with experience working with those temporary service labor things ?

Terry, we use temps from them all the time.  When someone is sick or leaves, we generally hire a temp.  The temp company does all the work of checking out the references, etc. so companies like them. /tim

Mar 05 06 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Terry Breedlove wrote:

Terry, get your bartenders license before you go. Also, don't forget you can always wait tables, and who knows, maybe land a part-time teaching job teaching photography. /tim

Mar 05 06 06:48 am Link