Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Where do I start!?

Model

carinacomeau

Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Well, here's the situation...I'm really looking for a job, but something that I can enjoy rather than something I'll quit within the next few months. I REALLLYYYY want to get a job at M-A-C or clinique or something along those lines. M-A-C is telling me that I need to get some type of "industry education" or a portfolio with the work that I've done. I need to get a kit with all sorts of things, because I hardly have anything to work with, but I don't have the money hence the reason for a job...lol I just don't know where to start. But I've always been very skilled when it came to makeup application...I do all my friend's makeup...expecially putting my little gay boys in drag...but thats another story...lol

Any advice for a killer kit? and how much it will cost me? Which brands are the best to use? Which products do you recommend?

And, any advice for starting up a stylist port?

Mar 04 06 07:53 am Link

Model

carinacomeau

Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Anyone? PLEASE?..lol

Mar 04 06 08:11 am Link

Model

carinacomeau

Ajax, Ontario, Canada

I guess not...?

Mar 04 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

You can get ou a MaC basic start-up kit for like $425

Mar 04 06 09:37 am Link

Model

carinacomeau

Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Torrence Williams wrote:
You can get ou a MaC basic start-up kit for like $425

Ohh, thanks. I should check that out for sure..
Hey, I commented you btw..I was just looking at your port about 10 mins ago. smile

Carina

Mar 04 06 09:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ivy Lam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

carina you ar so cute!

Mar 04 06 10:19 am Link

Model

carinacomeau

Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Ivy Lam wrote:
carina you ar so cute!

Heh..thanks :-P
I try...lol

Mar 04 06 10:38 am Link

Model

carinacomeau

Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Ivy Lam wrote:
carina you ar so cute!

BAH! stupid double posting!...
I'm going to beat my boyfriend's computer senceless...lol

Mar 04 06 10:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

well as far as i know you dont need industry training to work at mac and why would you want to if you had spent all of the money to go to school why would you want to just work there?? if you justwant to work at a counter get a job at a drug store at the make-up counter get alittle expericance then apply at mac. you shouldnt have to have school to work there and thats a really expensive way to get a job, and you will be given there stuff to work with so why would you need to go out and buy a whole kit, this kinda sounds like your beiing scammed or they arent hiring right now .

Mar 04 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Nerie

I've never heard of MAC requiring people with industry education. Unless they mean formal training (i.e., school).

Mar 04 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Nerie wrote:
I've never heard of MAC requiring people with industry education. Unless they mean formal training (i.e., school).

From the makeover's (more like make-uglies) I've gotten at MAC, I would definately agree. They mostly wantcha to be an experienced SALES person, rather than an experienced/industry educated MUA.

Mar 04 06 09:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

Ok, MAC might say that they want industry experienced artists, but that couldnt be further from the truth. Sometimes you have to dumb yourself down a little bit to get hired at a counter. I tried to get a job at MAC while I was in college, because they pay well, but I didn't have enough experience. So I went back and applied to make some extra $$$, but my resume (which isn't even that big) proved to be a roadblock for me and they werent entirely cool that I needed 2 days off a week to work on a TV show. Counters tend to look for people who will be lifers with them, if you stroll in looking too professional they will be very intimidated, because most of the people managing the MAC stores, do not have much experience outside of MAC.

Mar 04 06 10:34 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

rachelrose wrote:
Ok, MAC might say that they want industry experienced artists, but that couldnt be further from the truth. Sometimes you have to dumb yourself down a little bit to get hired at a counter. I tried to get a job at MAC while I was in college, because they pay well, but I didn't have enough experience. So I went back and applied to make some extra $$$, but my resume (which isn't even that big) proved to be a roadblock for me and they werent entirely cool that I needed 2 days off a week to work on a TV show. Counters tend to look for people who will be lifers with them, if you stroll in looking too professional they will be very intimidated, because most of the people managing the MAC stores, do not have much experience outside of MAC.

ROTF.  Sounds like the deli I work for.

Mar 05 06 01:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

Janet Harris

Allen, Texas, US

Working in retail cosmetics myself...I've seen M.A.C.require someone wanting to work at the counter to bring in a model and basically do a makeup application demonstrating your skills.They watch every aspect of what you do
from sanitizing your hands to explaning what your applying (eyes,lips ect..).Also they are watching to see how you use your brushes and how you explain them to your client.

You have to sell yourself and your skills !! I don't know why they would require
you to have a kit,considering your applying for a counter position.

Be persistant every MAC counter is different...Good Luck !!

Mar 06 06 07:17 pm Link