Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How often do you work with a fashion stylist?

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

When I first moved to Dallas and primarily started doing fashion styling, a lot of photographers and models asked me what does a fashion stylist do or what do I provide.  Even some photographers who I would say are excellent have never worked with a fashion stylist.  They tell the girls to just bring something. 

I know there are not as many fashion stylist as there is makeup artist or hair stylist, so how many of you work constantly with a fashion stylist?

Mar 05 06 11:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I do.  90% of the jobs I do have a stylist on them.  Just look in the TAFTP book to see how many are listed or at the agency websites.  Edited to add: this is in Dallas.

Ashley

Mar 05 06 04:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

As often as possible. If a stylist is involved it makes a world of difference. No joke.

Charissa

Mar 05 06 05:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I do wardrobe styling on some jobs but I don't really call it fashion, its more commercial wardrobe styling.   Sometimes I do just styling, sometimes just makeup and hair, sometimes both (if its a very small job)   most jobs I am on do have a stylist, if not me its usually someone hired sperately.

Mar 05 06 07:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Shelly Rae

Irving, Texas, US

I'd have to say the same as Mary.  Most of the jobs I do...it's just me.  I'm primarily a makeup artist/hairstylist, but I always carry some clothes, lingerie, jewelry, shoes, hose and other accessories with me, just in case.  The clothes that the models bring usually are not suitable for the types of images we are trying to achieve.  Actually, I have yet to work with anyone else (other than the model and photographer, that is).  I guess most of them like that I'm kind of an all-in-one deal.  I'm certainly not against it however.  I'd love to collaborate with other stylists smile

Mar 05 06 11:35 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Makeup by Shelly Rae wrote:
I'd have to say the same as Mary.  Most of the jobs I do...it's just me.  I'm primarily a makeup artist/hairstylist, but I always carry some clothes, lingerie, jewelry, shoes, hose and other accessories with me, just in case.  The clothes that the models bring usually are not suitable for the types of images we are trying to achieve.  Actually, I have yet to work with anyone else (other than the model and photographer, that is).  I guess most of them like that I'm kind of an all-in-one deal.  I'm certainly not against it however.  I'd love to collaborate with other stylists smile

Shelly,

We live close to each other.  There is no reason to not work together in the near future.

Mar 06 06 08:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

i have kind of had to learn everything default because barely any of my shoots have a stylist (with the exception of the television stuff and some of the shoots). I have also had to teach myself hair.

i personally love having a stylist and a hair stylist on a shoot. but a lot of photogs i know expect the MUA to do everything because they feel like its a "too many cooks in the kitchen" sort of thing. i have had only positive experiences with costumers, stylists and wardrobe people (they tend to be the nicer people on set) and i like having them around.

Mar 06 06 11:19 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

It seams I have become a hair stylist on some shoots also because I want the hair to look a particular way to fit with the concept of the style.  A hair stylist is hard to come by.  Most make up artist only do makeup and won't book themselves for hair only projects.

Mar 06 06 12:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Narvell wrote:
It seams I have become a hair stylist on some shoots also because I want the hair to look a particular way to fit with the concept of the style.  A hair stylist is hard to come by.  Most make up artist only do makeup and won't book themselves for hair only projects.

I am definately that way. The way I see it is if I am doing styling, hair, etc... it is to supplement my make-up. I never plan on marketing myself as a stylist or a hair person. I wouldnt do hair only. I have been asked to do tests like that and I say that unless I am doing the make-up... no way.

Mar 06 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

i'd like to use a stylist on every shoot, but they just don't test if they have access to real wardrobe.  i end up pulling myself, which does make for more coherent images, but it's a pain in the ass and i only have very limited boutique connections.

Mar 06 06 01:14 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Well, I think I'm going to learn a little hair and makeup basics.  I don't really want to because fashion is where my heart is.  I know I don't want to go to school for it because I don't care that much about it to make a financial investment.  I will save that for the true makeup artist.  A skill is a skill and it allows you to market yourself better if you know it well.

Mar 06 06 01:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Narvell wrote:

Actually that's not true in Dallas.  Every make-up artist repped by an agency here does make-up and hair.   The only people that I know that only do make-up and no hair are those union artists that only do films.  Doing only make-up and no hair knocks you out of doing commercials/broadcast/print. (Just speaking about Dallas)

Mar 06 06 05:13 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:

Actually that's not true in Dallas.  Every artist repped by an agency here does make-up and hair.   The only people that I know that only do make-up and no hair are those union artists that only do films.  Doing only make-up and no hair knocks you out of doing commercials/broadcast/print. (Just speaking about Dallas)

More the reason for me to learn makeup and hair.  wink  Don't want to miss out on those commercials/broadcast/print jobs.

However, I'm focusing on my collection for next year so, that will have to wait until I get a real interest for it. big_smile

Mar 06 06 07:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Narvell wrote:
More the reason for me to learn makeup and hair.  wink  Don't want to miss out on those commercials/broadcast/print jobs.

However, I'm focusing on my collection for next year so, that will have to wait until I get a real interest for it. big_smile

But wardrobe/fashion stylists don't need to know how to do make-up/hair.  I should have said every make-up artist.  Sorry.  I'll go edit that now.  smile

In fact, I've been told many times by various bookers that you do not want to be known as doing all three.  Say I did a test where I did the styling because a stylist wasn't available.  I'm not supposed to say that  I did the styling.  It makes me seems as a 'watered down' make-up/hair artist.  (not my words)

Mar 06 06 07:22 pm Link

Model

Narvell wrote:
When I first moved to Dallas and primarily started doing fashion styling, a lot of photographers and models asked me what does a fashion stylist do or what do I provide.  Even some photographers who I would say are excellent have never worked with a fashion stylist.  They tell the girls to just bring something. 

I know there are not as many fashion stylist as there is makeup artist or hair stylist, so how many of you work constantly with a fashion stylist?

For client shoots - 70% of the time there is a "true" fashion stylist there - 90% if there is a claim to a fashion stylist wink

For test shoots - I'd say that's hit or miss but most of the time it is as you say "They tell the girls to just bring something" which from what I've seen - is usually a miss for everyone! But in LA it seems fashion stylists briefly / rarely test

Mar 06 06 07:32 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Luis Rafael

New York, New York, US

If there is no stylist, I would not work on the shoot.  Specially if its a TFP...

Mar 09 06 08:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
But wardrobe/fashion stylists don't need to know how to do make-up/hair.  I should have said every make-up artist.  Sorry.  I'll go edit that now.  smile

In fact, I've been told many times by various bookers that you do not want to be known as doing all three.  Say I did a test where I did the styling because a stylist wasn't available.  I'm not supposed to say that  I did the styling.  It makes me seems as a 'watered down' make-up/hair artist.  (not my words)

In San Diego the ones who work the most are the ones that do all 3. Most of us that do all 3 have been around  a very long time and have added styling to our makeup and hair due to mainly many requests.  It has helped and not hurt me but I'm in a very commercial market and was well known as an artist before I added styling....I also watched stylists for many many years....I didnt just decide one day to add styling to my resume....I waited until I had some nice styling tearsheets.

However....if you scew up at styling you will never do the makeup and hair for that client again and thats risky for people new at styling.

Mar 09 06 10:01 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Katalina Daer

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Since I am a fashion stylist I work with them all the time. I mainly work with my mentor stylist who works a lot overseas thus gets me the best connections for when i want to branch out on my own.

Mar 11 06 08:33 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Luis Santiago wrote:
If there is no stylist, I would not work on the shoot.  Specially if its a TFP...

Wow... Luis will you marry me!

Mar 15 06 02:00 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Mary wrote:

In San Diego the ones who work the most are the ones that do all 3. Most of us that do all 3 have been around  a very long time and have added styling to our makeup and hair due to mainly many requests.  It has helped and not hurt me but I'm in a very commercial market and was well known as an artist before I added styling....I also watched stylists for many many years....I didnt just decide one day to add styling to my resume....I waited until I had some nice styling tearsheets.

However....if you scew up at styling you will never do the makeup and hair for that client again and thats risky for people new at styling.

If I get into makeup and hair it will be after years of practice and even then I don't want to tell people I can do it unless they ask.  I just don't care for it but I love to watch others get it done and I find it very artistic.  I just love having the skill.  But Man-O-Man... can you imagine how much stuff I would have to bring to a shoot if I did all three?  The idea makes me crazy!

Mar 15 06 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

I "WORK" with a fashion stylist 100% of the time that I am WORKING.  However for personal shoots when it is not required... I don't, as the need is not there.

Mar 15 06 02:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Narvell wrote:
If I get into makeup and hair it will be after years of practice and even then I don't want to tell people I can do it unless they ask.  I just don't care for it but I love to watch others get it done and I find it very artistic.  I just love having the skill.  But Man-O-Man... can you imagine how much stuff I would have to bring to a shoot if I did all three?  The idea makes me crazy!

If I am doing styling as well as makeup and hair I usually have an assistant.  One makeup case (huge and heavy)  Hair case, steamer, rack, clothing, styling case, makeup chair.   We are talking a minimum of 5 trips to the car.

Mar 15 06 10:36 am Link

Clothing Designer

La Bella Femme Style

Modesto, California, US

How do I make myself visible to all fashion stylist, and photographers looking for fashion designers?

Mar 16 06 04:41 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

dressingrebecca

Houston, Texas, US

Hey guys I am a wardrobe/stylist for film & television...I am breaking into print (which is a horse of a different color, as you know) I design a little, but more unique & strange one of a kind pieces. I also dress commecially, regular "mall" & "style" looks...what I want to know is a. where to make contacts for cool pieces to shoot in (that wont kill my wallet &/or be studio loan) & b. what is a fair price (for Houston, TX) to charge for my extensive services.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks all!

Mar 17 06 12:48 pm Link

Clothing Designer

La Bella Femme Style

Modesto, California, US

Mar 19 06 05:24 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Hello,
To the last two posters to this thread.

[2] NO SPAM. Spamming unsolicited advertisements anywhere on ModelMayhem.com will get you banned.
================================
[2] No THREAD HIJACKING. Start another thread if you have a different topic.
[4] POST to the forum that is most appropriate for the topic being presented. Threads incorrectly placed will be moved or locked.

Please read the FAQ and the rules in the info section.

And please check the first thread of the newbie section of the forums for more site information
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=18926

Please change your posts to something relevant to the discussion.

Thankyou

Mhana moderator
Mhana stylist.

Mar 20 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I second the answer, "As often as possible." A fashion stylist ties together a look in a way that just can't be compared to non-styled images. I can make gorgeous pictures without one, sure, but I can see a distinct difference between images I've shot that were styled and ones that weren't. If you're shooting anything complicated, I'd say a fashion stylist can have as significant an impact as a makeup artist on the overall shoot, although of course on any given image you'll probably see the MUA's work more unless the styling is extremely sophisticated.

M

Mar 20 06 11:08 am Link

Photographer

NLI

Wichita, Kansas, US

Well, over the last two years I was leaving make-up to the models and that usually very well.  But now that I've connected with a MUA/Stylist you can get more done stylistically.  Even though I'm a photographer, I'm horrible at conceptualizing ideas with make-up.  I know beauty when I see it but this was an important step to professionalize my work.  So now, I'm trying to do everything with a stylist.

Mar 20 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

NLI

Wichita, Kansas, US

Well, over the last two years I was leaving make-up to the models and that usually very well.  But now that I've connected with a MUA/Stylist you can get more done stylistically.  Even though I'm a photographer, I'm horrible at conceptualizing ideas with make-up.  I know beauty when I see it but this was an important step to professionalize my work.  So now, I'm trying to do everything with a stylist.

Mar 20 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Star

I mainly have to style it myself. For the elementals shoot I went to downtown LA bought the stuff I need and made the girls outfits on the spot with pins and clever draping. I also did their hair, but not their make-up. I have done the hair on almost every shoot I have done, cause I just want a certain style.

If I could afford a stylist I would use one, but since I am not really doing money jobs it isn't possible.

Star

Mar 20 06 12:25 pm Link