Forums > Model Colloquy > Help!!!!!

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Okay I am new at this and my dream is runway modeling, I know I am tall enough and maybe need to lose a couple of pounds. I will be moving stateside in exactly 11 days and am ready to jump right in. But I need some direction about managers, agencies, and everything else if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Jun 28 05 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

I don't know how much runway work you will get in Alabama. Hopefully some that are closer to that line of work will answer.

Mike

Jun 28 05 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Jun 28 05 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Do. Not. Get. A. Manager.

Find some local professional photographers. You only need 2 or 3. Pay them to shoot and build your portfolio. Print up some basic compcards and go to agencies on open go-see days with your portfolio and compcards in hand.

Fairly simple.

Jun 29 05 01:14 am Link

Model

Linda T

Lubbock, Texas, US

i wish i were tall enough to do runway modeling... :-\ but i'm just a bit too short for that i would really like to do print modeling though anyone have advice for that?

Jun 29 05 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
NewModels.com

Wow, what a great resource!

Wish they had one for new photographers...

Jun 29 05 01:37 am Link

Model

Ellynyn

Bristol, Connecticut, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

Find some local professional photographers. You only need 2 or 3. Pay them to shoot and build your portfolio. Print up some basic compcards and go to agencies on open go-see days with your portfolio and compcards in hand.

Fairly simple.

This is a load of crap froma photographer who wants your money.

Agencies don't need to see shots by "photographers" h*ll, they don't WANT to see them. They want plain, clear snapshots of YOU being yourself. Pics they want are:
1. Clear headshot, hair back
2. Clear full-length body shot, hair down
3. Clear full-length shot of you in swimsuit/underwear to show your figure (of course 2 & 3 can be combined)

Yes, I have experience modelling for agencies, before anyone starts flaming me. Dear seriously, you don't need comp/Z cards, you don't need a "portfolio". You just need you and some very clear snapshots. If you're too far away from the agency, call them and ask how they would like to receive your pics (usually through the post, not many do it via email), if you're close by, go in in person. When you go in, wear flattering clothes that make you feel comfortable. Sure, high heels are sexy, but if you clomp around in them like an elephant, it'll give the wrong impression. Don't wear slobby clothes, dress decently. DON'T wear makeup, the maximum you should have on your face is maybe a little mascara and lip gloss if you REALLY don't want to go bare.

If you call an agency you're interested in, they'll go through everything you need to do over the phone.

Jun 29 05 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by Neyrissa Suicid: 

Now that-- is rude.

Why do you feel the need to harshly shut others down? You can offer a differing opinion on the topic without being a bitch/jerk/whatever. People don't just post here and run, they keep reading the thread after they post. Are you trying to start a fight? This kind of boorish behavior is just uncalled for.

Jun 29 05 02:34 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Fairly simple.

Most models starting out couldn't afford a Manager anyway. But, Eric, what has your life experiences taught you every time you told someone "Do Not blah, blah, blah"?  Most will do the complete opposite of what you told them not to. Especially, when they can see that even Amateur Athletes, Musicians, Musical Groups...heck, even Mimes! have a Manager, an Agent and in some cases, a Sponsor(s). There must be compelling reasons why since they've only been doing it for...more than a hundred years? Gosh *snaps fingers* I wonder what those reasons are???

If I could afford it, I'd hire a Manager for me. So, I can focus strictly on the Photography and he (or she) can handle my day to day communications, other operations and manage my schedule, budgeting needs (or coordinate this with my accountant), etc. And, an Agent to get me Gallery spots and jobs.

Jun 29 05 03:34 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Fairly simple.

I know you live in the United Kingdom, but do British schools teach you kids anything about how large the United States actually is?

I said, "Find some local professional photographers ... Pay them to shoot and build your portfolio."

In turn, you accused me of my advice being "a load of crap from a photographer who wants [Kavonna's] money."

Kavonna will be living in Montgomery, Alabama. It says so in her profile.

I live in Los Angeles, California. It says so in my profile.

That is a distance of 2,161 miles. Or, to put it in terms you would understand, 3,477 kilometers. Since you live in the United Kingdom, I am smart enough to know that you will understand kilometers easier than miles.

By the same token, you should be smart enough to know that a photographer who lives 3,477 kilometers away is NOT local. You should also be smart enough to look at a map.

Hence, based upon my advice of Kavonna finding a local photographer, your assessment of my advice being a load of crap to get her money is a clear indication that you failed to do any research or use much logic in your thought processes. Because I am not a local photographer that Kavonna could hire.

Jun 29 05 03:39 am Link

Model

Hel Inferna

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Fairly simple.

I know you live in the United Kingdom, but do British schools teach you kids anything about how large the United States actually is?

I said, "Find some local professional photographers ... Pay them to shoot and build your portfolio."

In turn, you accused me of my advice being "a load of crap from a photographer who wants [Kavonna's] money."

That is a distance of 2,161 miles. Or, to put it in terms you would understand, 3,477 kilometers. Since you live in the United Kingdom, I am smart enough to know that you will understand kilometers easier than miles.

By the same token, you should be smart enough to know that a photographer who lives 3,477 kilometers away is NOT local. You should also be smart enough to look at a map.

Hence, based upon my advice of Kavonna finding a local photographer, your assessment of my advice being a load of crap to get her money is a clear indication that you failed to do any research or use much logic in your thought processes. Because I am not a local photographer that Kavonna could hire.

AWWW SNAP! haha

Jun 29 05 06:28 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I'm not so sure she really meant you planned on making money off this particular girl, but more generically she was putting you in a category of photographers giving self serving advice, suggesting that girls pay for shoots they don't need or shouldn't do for one or more reasons. If she were right it wouldn't matter that you have no realistic plans with this girl, but that you're giving advice that can be read by thousands of girls including ones in your area. Now personally, after reading a lot of your posts, I don't think you had that intent, I think you just aren't familiar with how legit NY fashion agencies work (which are the ones that would be relevant for a US based runway wannabee). But I can understand her comment because a lot of people are giving such self-serving advice.

So you can be offended and defend your honor all you want, but you do the original poster and the topic a disservice to focus solely on defending your intentions or lack thereof with this particular model and try to discredit her real point, and the important point, based on her flip comments that may have been about you personally. The fact is, that however indelicately she put it, and aside from what your reasons for saying it were, she was absolutely spot on with her advice in contacting fashion agencies.

But to make this more complicated, and to make you accidentally somewhat correct, Kavonna doesn't have a runway body type and has a commercial look. The commercial agencies work differently and she will need to get some good commercial shots for a comp card & to start building a book.

Lastly, your snaps are hereby unceremoniously withdrawn as you haven't done your own research while trying to condescend to someone, making you look foolish, they do use miles in England! doh!

Jun 29 05 07:29 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Ched: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
NewModels.com

Wow, what a great resource! Wish they had one for new photographers...

it was produced by the owner of NYC's oldest model and talent management company...probably the best advice a new model could recieve..

Jun 29 05 07:34 am Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

Posted by kavonna: 
Okay I am new at this and my dream is runway modeling, I know I am tall enough and maybe need to lose a couple of pounds. I will be moving stateside in exactly 11 days and am ready to jump right in. But I need some direction about managers, agencies, and everything else if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

First, best of luck to you in this endeavor.

Do realize that if you are going to be based anywhere other than the major cities - NYC, LA, Chicago, Miami, etc., your opportunities for runway work as a profession are extremely limited.

I agree with the others that suggest that you need to work with a few different photographers and build up your portfolio.  I don't totally agree that you have to pay for the photo session, I am sure that you can find some quality photographers that would work with you in a TFP session.  Just make sure that you make clear to the TFP photographers what styles of photography you are looking to do to benefit your career.

I would also be leary of any agency that insists that you have to use a photographer of their choice or have some monthly fee as you start up.

Charlie

Jun 29 05 07:49 am Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Well like other people have pointed out location will determind how much work you can get unless you are willing to travel alot. You have a very nice look. Working with lots of different photographers will be helpful as far as getting experiece and a variety of pics. You can pay or do TFP or a mix of both. Definetly try to find a few decent agencies.

Jun 29 05 09:17 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by CharliesImages: 
Do realize that if you are going to be based anywhere other than the major cities - NYC, LA, Chicago, Miami, etc., your opportunities for runway work as a profession are extremely limited.

DEFINITELY something to keep in mind if you truly want to make a career out of it.

Jun 29 05 09:07 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

To sum up:

Runway is fashion and there's not much of that in Alabama. If you want fashion work, you do not need a portfolio. Do not spend money on a portfolio until you are signed. Your fashion agency will guide you in building a fashion book.

If you cannot get fashion representation and decide to go the commercial route, find local photographers in the markret you will be seeking work in who understand that market well and get a few shots for a good comp to send out to commercial agencies.

Jun 29 05 10:33 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Fairly simple.

That is a distance of 2,161 miles. Or, to put it in terms you would understand, 3,477 kilometers.

Since you live in the United Kingdom, I am smart enough to know that you will understand kilometers easier than miles.

By the same token, you should be smart enough to know that a photographer who lives 3,477 kilometers away is NOT local......

lmao

Smart enough!!? u slipped here baby, tho i am ya biggest fan...we have only miles in UK....Always have (& prob always will)

None of us Brits honestly  have  a clue what a kilometer is!!

So, isnt it funny how people always accuse others of  exactly whatever their own faults are? Yours is that local knowledge is missing or not being clever or educuated or being lazy or some such ... and hers is prob money hungryness

lol

Jun 30 05 06:46 am Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

Posted by Anjel Britt: 

Speak for yourself :p

But, dragging it back on topic.. several posters with local knowledge have said that Alabama doesn't have fashion work.

So, is there even likely to be any genuine commercial work or is it just GWC?

Jun 30 05 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

There is probably as little modeling of any kind in Alabama as anywhere in the States. But on a similar thread a few weeks ago she said she wasn't going to stay there long and mentioned going to a bigger market I think. It seems we've scared her off of this thread though

Jun 30 05 08:23 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Anjel Britt: 
Smart enough!!? u slipped here baby, tho i am ya biggest fan...we have only miles in UK....Always have (& prob always will)

So, isnt it funny how people always accuse others of  exactly whatever their own faults are? Yours is that local knowledge is missing or not being clever or educuated or being lazy or some such ... and hers is prob money hungryness

I am man enough to admit when I have made a mistake.

However, I never make mistakes.

I have "unexpected learning experiences."

;-)

P.S. I DID do some research. According to the United Kingdom Department of Trade & Industry website (http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/metric.htm):

Since 1965 the United Kingdom has been adopting metric weights and measures in response to the adoption of metric units as the international system of measurement.

Metric units of measurement are now used for most transactions regulated by the Weights and Measures Act 1985. In addition, it is Government policy to encourage the adoption of the metric system for other purposes, including public administration.

Hence, since a British government site said that metrics were commonly used in the UK, that was good enough research for me.

As it turns out, it was an "unexpected learning experience" on my part.

Jun 30 05 03:13 pm Link

Model

Jeremy Blaine

Los Angeles, California, US

Agencies don't need expensive photos. I know this from experience. They can look at a regular snapshot and tell if they want you or not. The problem that I think models run into is the AGENCIES sending them out to get more photos and spend money on photos.

We all have to have photos, but I wouldn't spend alot if you don't have an agent. Just get something that is a natural and accurate depiction of you. The agencies will decide.

peace and joy
Good luck!

Jul 01 05 08:57 am Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

No one scared me off,LOL I just have been really busy , I do plan on moving to one of the major markets. I actually have an appt with an agency in miami once I finally get stateside, I have thought about my look and commercial would better fit me, The photos that I currently have don't have any makeup on them(I don't know how to put it on LOL) and are not photoshoped, hen I go to conmmerical agencies would these photos be alright or should I invest or get with other photographers to get more commercial or as I liek to call it magazine ad photos done before I approach these agencies?

Jul 02 05 01:39 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Agencies don't need to see shots by "photographers" h*ll, they don't WANT to see them. They want plain, clear snapshots of YOU being yourself. Pics they want are:

What a great very first post EVER!

Disqualified in style and content.

Different agencies have different requirements... almost every agency, big established and tons of new and midsized ones have their own requirements and often posted on their site.

Methinks that you are one of those models that started out as a kid, became of age... always handled and supervised by parents and in a circle that is similar to an ivory tower.

It seems that you know NOTHING of that part of the industry where thousands of models, without help by mommy and daddy, working part time jobs, doing numerous modeling and runway jobs, not signed by agencies, always talking to bookers etc., trying to get signed and struggling hard to get publicity and recognition and finally an agency that signs them.

I'd say that this is easily how 80 percent (this includes the non exclusive contracts with agencies) of the industry looks here in New York, which is, as you maybe aware off, one of the major markets.

Jul 02 05 01:58 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Ok Udo, which of the top twenty NYC fashion agencies suggests to aspiring models that they get professional shots or build a book prior to sending in submission photos or going to open calls? Is there even one? Has there ever been one?

Jul 02 05 04:47 am Link