Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Make-up advice, please

Model

Miss Alena

Glens Falls, New York, US

I have a photoshoot in the morning and I'm not sure what colors would work best with me and how to apply. I have green eyes...can anyone help me please?

Mar 14 06 11:23 am Link

Model

Miss Alena

Glens Falls, New York, US

Nobody wants to help me? : (

Mar 14 06 01:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Doesn't look like it, does it?  You should HIRE a makeup artist.

Mar 14 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:

oh, snap.

(couldn't resist)

Mar 14 06 07:14 pm Link

Model

beverly jean

Coventry, Rhode Island, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:

Nice to know that when an upcoming model needs help theres always someone more advanced to give them a shitty, sarcastic answer...

Anyways ... I myself cant do my own make up(i prefer girls w/o makeup personally but it helps in pics), so i bought Kevin Aucion's Making Faces book...its a little complicated but I know its helped alot of girls out who cant find/afford a makeup artist...try the new colors made for certain eyecolors (almay) the best way to learn is to practice...i hate it when people tell me that, but its the truth....

Mar 14 06 07:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Light eyes such as blue or green look great and pop out when brown, black, purple etc are used.  Dark colors always make light eyes pop.  It's Vice versa for people with dark eyes.  But this is NOT always the case.  It depends on what you're wearing and what colors your nails are or your jewelry.  So I can't tell you "hey wear this color" cos I don't know what the theme of your shoot is.

I agree with the above...Get a MUA to do your makeup.  We use professional makeup that works best with photography.  Your everyday makeup that you buy at your local pharmacy is just not going to be the same.  We also know things about lighting and angles etc.

Another thing is that the everyday makeup that you wear on your face is not going to be the same such as application.  You have to put alot of blush otherwise the lights and the flash will wash it out and it might look like you're not wearing any (hense making you look pale).

Hope that helps

Yisell
www.yisellsantos.com

Mar 14 06 07:36 pm Link

Model

Angie Borras

Kissimmee, Florida, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:

How sarcastic! anyways  what if she doesnt have the money to hire a make up artist.  She is asking obviously because she can't  afford one.Or else she wouldn't be doing the make up herself. Geez

Mar 17 06 05:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Los Angeles, California, US

This is the stylist forum- and HIRING a MUA is a resonable answer, not sarcastic- true. If you want to get professional images- you need to work with professionals. Try to find someone who will do TFP at the least, but that is a matter of the MUA wanting the model and the photographer in thier book- so in alot of cases with ametuers, you end up getting what you PAID for.

That said- pinks, lavenders, and browns make green eyes *POP*. Go a smidge heavier based on the lighting and try not to make any heavy handed lines with the liner (use a smudger if you use a pencil). Good luck! (not sarcastic)

Mar 17 06 06:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Molly Heartbreaker wrote:

Nice to know that when an upcoming model needs help theres always someone more advanced to give them a shitty, sarcastic answer...

Well all the 'upcoming' models I know are with agencies.  Sorry. tongue

Mar 17 06 07:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Intensity wrote:
How sarcastic! anyways  what if she doesnt have the money to hire a make up artist.  She is asking obviously because she can't  afford one.Or else she wouldn't be doing the make up herself. Geez

But if these models were so great, they'd have make-up artists drooling to test with them.  For those models that find it so hard to find a good make-up artist to test with you, maybe you should reevaluate your career choice.  Or expect to shell out some money.

Geez is right!  smile

Mar 17 06 08:02 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

as harsh as it sounds, i was going to reply "hire a makeup artist" or see if one would like to test with you.  they usually charge a small kit fee.  hmm, other than that, visit the MAC counter, thats what I did and I bought the Studio Tech line...gets kinda pricey, but its worth it.

Mar 17 06 08:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:

But if these models were so great, they'd have make-up artists drooling to test with them.  For those models that find it so hard to find a good make-up artist to test with you, maybe you should reevaluate your career choice.  Or expect to shell out some money.

Geez is right!  smile

i agree

Mar 17 06 08:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

Ditto what Ashley and the other stylists said.

Additionally, coming here the day before a shoot for makeup advice on a forum might be deemed irresponsible.  What kind of response do you expect?  Do you think that someone is going to provide detailed instructions on color choices, how to account for lighting, clothing, etc, and how to apply?  And *if* anyone actually did that, do you think that you can follow text on a page and follow it adequately for your shoot?

As to the "Almay" comment.. ummm.. no thanks. 

At the very least, any model who is serious about their career should hire an established artist to teach them about how to apply makeup to their face under various situations.  One time hefty $$ layout for those times when an artist is simply unavailable or no shows.  Or, you can hire an artist to work on your shoot, or ask that your photographer hire an artist.

Whenever possible, trust those of us who have careers doing makeup.  When not possible, be armed ahead of time.  Going onto a message board the day before ain't going to cut it, especially with the extreme likelyhood of receiving bad advice.  Almay...  tongue

Mar 18 06 09:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

i agree, i hate those almay colors. i am sorry but those will just not work.

Mar 18 06 10:33 pm Link

Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

EmElle wrote:
Ditto what Ashley and the other stylists said.

Additionally, coming here the day before a shoot for makeup advice on a forum might be deemed irresponsible.  What kind of response do you expect?  Do you think that someone is going to provide detailed instructions on color choices, how to account for lighting, clothing, etc, and how to apply?  And *if* anyone actually did that, do you think that you can follow text on a page and follow it adequately for your shoot?

As to the "Almay" comment.. ummm.. no thanks. 

At the very least, any model who is serious about their career should hire an established artist to teach them about how to apply makeup to their face under various situations.  One time hefty $$ layout for those times when an artist is simply unavailable or no shows.  Or, you can hire an artist to work on your shoot, or ask that your photographer hire an artist.

Whenever possible, trust those of us who have careers doing makeup.  When not possible, be armed ahead of time.  Going onto a message board the day before ain't going to cut it, especially with the extreme likelyhood of receiving bad advice.  Almay...  tongue

I really didn't gather that she was asking for detailed information...as in total application tips.
*shrug*

I must have missed that.

ETA: I do see that she asked "how to apply" but I wouldn't consider that to be a request for total step by step application. Perhaps I misread it.

Mar 18 06 10:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:

Geez is right!  smile

I agree as well.  Everyone is beautiful in their own way but us MUA's just can't do makeup for everyone who asks us.  I, as a MUA, only do select TFP depending on the model and photographer.

I'm sorry but it's the truth and this is how the fashion business works.

Mar 21 06 12:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MannyatStylistSuite

Long Beach, California, US

Green,blue,hazel lighter eyes normally pop out ! with thick lashes,  so great mascara and eyeliner will do.  Make sure to use   a primer first that will really help you to get  a thicker lashes.   

Also recommend to use plum,chesnut brown,bossenberry.   try to use darker eyeshadow its great colors for lighter eyes.      And blending is the key !  But I highly recommend to hire a good make artist.    Goodluck !

Mar 21 06 01:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Elizabeth Prokopiak

Hey doll,

You should do smoky around the lid fading into the crease and then use an eyeliner brush on the bottom with black, smudge with a pointed brush and line the inside bottom line of your eye with black......

You could also stick to gold tones on the lid.... always fade from lightest inside to darkest outside..... then line the bottom with forest green......

Or just stick to soft pinks and black liner on the inside bottom...... think 5th Element when she used that automatic Chanel eye makeup applicator.....

Good Luck!

Mar 21 06 02:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Linda Koch-Kious

Antwerp, Ohio, US

I am a starting out MUA and I use Kevin Aucion's Making Faces and Face Forward all the time.  I find them very helpful, even just to get ideas and then alter the makeup to your own needs.  Hope you find the help you needed for you shoot.  Also if you are on a tight budget, talk to a Mary Kay consultant.  I use to be one, so I know there are some free tips there with the experience and know how.

To some of the other comments made:
I don't think "professionals" should be so quick to put down amateurs.  There are those of us just starting out that produce better work then some of the so called professionals, such as my husband a photographer.  People forget that when just starting out not all of us have the money to shell out for the help of a professional, in most cases they are not to quick to share info, especially when they can already see you maybe better then they are.  In some cases there are none available in your area either.  So you do what you can on your own.  I don’t think it is anyone’s place to say someone shouldn’t go after their dreams just because their pocket book isn’t exploding cash.   So you do what you can and hope there are others out there that will be willing to work with you when you need it.  We all start out as armatures and don’t have the fortune to be over night success.  We take the road of hard work, learning all we can on the way and doing what we love for the thrill of it not to climb on a pedestal and look down our noses at everyone else.

Mar 21 06 08:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Glamy Makeup

Dunedin, Florida, US

if you don't know how to apply makeup at all and cannot hire or find a TFP MUA for all of your shoots, I would advise going to a department store or Sephora to schedule a makeover consultation.  They can suggest colors and products to compliment you and teach you the basics on how to apply.  In most cases it is free and you are not technically required to purchase anything, though if you like the results of your makeover you probably should purchase at least some of the recommended products, rather than using Almay or other drugstore makeup as someone else mentioned.  I'm not trying to be a makeup snob but most cheaper makeup just doesn't look right on film. 

Please note:  getting a consultation is no substitute for having a professional MUA at a shoot, but it will help you to at least be self-sufficient in applying your own makeup.    It is important for models to know at least little bit about makeup and how to use it on themselves.  You aren't going to learn how to do your makeup for a shoot by asking on a message board, especially last minute.

Mar 22 06 12:30 am Link