Forums > Model Colloquy > acting classes

Model

Silver Oak

Houston, Alaska, US

I know the that modeling and acting don't necessarily go hand in hand as far as agencies go, but I just took my first acting class and have signed on to do more. There are agencies that seem to represent both models and acting/voice talent so I decided to "broaden" myself a bit. That, plus there's more $$ in TV.

Anyone else have experience in acting or taking classes as well?

Have a great day!

Jun 29 05 07:33 am Link

Model

MULIKA

London, England, United Kingdom

The upkeep classes never ceases! Acting is my day job, I should know, what with the modeling being the distraction in between. My Management are tolerant of my stills work but there are many restrictions as to what I can or cannot get involved in. I find the modeling an asset in teh commercial realm as infomercials as they are known in the states are big bucks and great profile boosters.

Back to training, I graduated 2yrs ago and still find myself throwing money at workshops and masterclasses even now!The discipline of an Actor needs to be in line with that of a dancer. You should be in practice everyday to keep your creativity as supple and actute as possible. After all the difference between a pro and amateur is a short hop between theory and consistency. This is what we train to master after all.

As an Actor your ability and technical proficiency should be as capacious as my Bottega Veneta wink

Jun 29 05 12:50 pm Link

Model

Silver Oak

Houston, Alaska, US

I'm so new to everything so half of what you just said might as well have been typed in Norwegian! ;-)

It's very exciting to be learning two new fields of training and thought. My teacher is very cool and educated, and hopefully half as tolerant to those who want to learn.

Take care!

Jun 29 05 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Nazarko

Lebanon, New Jersey, US

I think there's no conflict between acting and modeling at all.  There are so many models who can throw you a couple looks, usually half-squinted eyes and open mouthed.  Ask them to react like a naked man just came through the door, and they can't.  If all you want to do is clothes work, I guess that's fine, but if you want to do any commercial work, where you're expected to connect emotionally in different ways, on cue, with freshness each of the 50 takes you shoot...acting school seems to me to be a pretty good idea.

Totally agree with Mulika.  When I worked in acting, I taught and took classes at the same time (money in, money out.)  Voice training and physical training in particular require every day work.  Other things, like emotional projection and practice in reaction with other actors (acting is reacting, right?) you can study off and on.  If you're taking physically oriented acting classes, you'll get an awareness of your body that'll make you a MUCH better (or at least more aware) model.  You're training the same "tool", your body.

I've met several models who've eagerly told me that they want to be actors and want to know if I can help them.  Not taking acting classes.  Not doing voice training.  No physical training.  No prepared audition pieces.  Not aware of the unions.  It's modeling, sure, but now with your mouth open and words coming out.  Every actor I know (of my graduating class 20+ years ago I'm the only one not still in the business) has been successful in getting commercial modeling work. 

Jun 29 05 03:48 pm Link

Model

MULIKA

I really have to applaud that post Ed. I would not even deign to add to it. I hope many find this thread in time...

Jun 29 05 04:08 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I've had good experiences with smaller, semi-private classes in Seattle.  Short films that you can do with your class will help give you that first bit of content for your reel, too.

Definitely ask around and find references beforehand if you can-- for every good coach out there, there are tons of people willing to prey on the hopeful. >_

Jun 29 05 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

I would recommend the 'Expressions Unlimited' studio, directed by Bobbie Chance in LA.  Former celebrity attendees include Drew Barrymore, Steven Dorf, Breckin Meyer, Giovanni Ribisi, Richard Dreyfuss, Kurt Russell, Rob Reiner, Andy Garcia, Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt, all of whom have worked at her studio.  Bobbie is co-producing a reality based TV pilot and also starring as the acting coach on the new TV series "The Next Hollywood Starlet" with Faye Dunaway and Vivica Fox for the WB network.  I am a screenplay writer and a content provider for her workshop, with a few scenes from our screenplays showcased on stage.  Details on our projects are available at the Goldstar International Pictures website at: http://www.goldstarpictures.4t.com

Jun 30 05 12:25 am Link

Model

MULIKA

I so need to re-locate....

Jun 30 05 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by MULIKA: 
I so need to re-locate....

Hey, Ann Arbor is nice! smile

But no, why? You may not have as large an industry, but you have quality. I rather be in one great Ken Loach, Mike Leigh, Jim Sheridan or Danny Boyle film than a thousand Hollywood pieces of shite

Jun 30 05 08:17 am Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

acting classes are fun!  i'm a newly signed commercial/lifestyle model, on the board at Elite, and my agent told me to take acting classes and use that to broaden my experience as a model (i really want to do under-fives and commercial print and catalogs).

i work a day job, so i'm not really reaching for the major productions/films, just a little extra $$$ and a creative outlet on the side.  wink

stick with your acting classes.  i would think you'd be a great character actor just judging your look.  smile  i'd believe you in an ad showing a dad and his kid, talking about college funds, etc....

Z

Jun 30 05 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Ed Nazarko

Lebanon, New Jersey, US

What with the SMU theater program being one of the best acting training centers in the country, and Houston having some good repertory companies, Silver Oak should be able to find a lot of good coaches.  Maybe things have changed now, but I remember being amused that the best acting, movement, and voice coaches I ever worked with did the least performing, mostly because they were so hypercritical of themselves that they couldn't stand it.  The worst I worked with were some incredibly excellent actors who couldn't articulate what it was they did.  There's people with talent, and people with skills.  Some have both.  You learn a lot more from someone with skills than from someone with just talent.

Jun 30 05 11:56 am Link

Model

Silver Oak

Houston, Alaska, US

Thanks Zoe....at this point I needed a kind word of encouragement and I can't express enough how good that made me feel!

here's a link to where I'm taking classes.

http://www.theactorfactory.com/index.htm

Jun 30 05 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

PLEASE TAKE MORE ACTING CLASSES!

All good models are actors!

9 out of 10 models are the "Fuck Me/Fuck You" models. They can't give ANY facial expressions except "Fuck Me" or "Fuck You" and they are incapable of giving any variety beyond that.

(Any model reading this who suspects they may be one of those models - yes. You are. If you are sure you're not ... you may be one too.)

PLEASE take more acting classes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

I guarantee you will be better than 9 out 10 models if you learn how to act and project some other emotions.

Jun 30 05 03:18 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 
9 out of 10 models are the "Fuck Me/Fuck You" models. They can't give ANY facial expressions except "Fuck Me" or "Fuck You" and they are incapable of giving any variety beyond that.

I resemble that remark!

But hey, I can give a nuanced variety of "fuck you" looks.

Jun 30 05 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by theda: 

I resemble that remark!

:-/

I'm giving you one of those looks right now.

Jun 30 05 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Posted by theda: 

I resemble that remark!

LOL... now come on you two... be nice... HaHa!

Jun 30 05 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Nazarko

Lebanon, New Jersey, US

Posted by theda: 

I resemble that remark!

Truly nuanced:  "Unfuck you."

Jun 30 05 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Acting can improve your modeling abilities tenfold. There should be a "world modeling law" that you must take 3 months of acting classes before even attempting to become a model. It would also make my job waaaaay easier.

Jun 30 05 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

PLEASE TAKE MORE ACTING CLASSES!

All good models are actors!

Well said.
I agree---but the photographer has too work hard on getting that right facial expression.
it's where alot of my effort goes to.....
(Any model reading this who suspects they may be one of those models - yes. You are. If you are sure you're not ... you may be one too.)

PLEASE take more acting classes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

I guarantee you will be better than 9 out 10 models if you learn how to act and project some other emotions.

Jun 30 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

I agree-
But,
photographers have to go the extra mile to get the right facial expressions.
it's where alot of my energy goes.
B

Jun 30 05 06:11 pm Link