Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Rhinestone or Crystal Pieces

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Hello.
Would any of you know where to obtain rhinestone or crystal pieces such as:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000 … ZZZZZ_.jpg

I realize that it will probably cost a small fortune, but I don't care about cost.

Jayne

Mar 17 06 11:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

wow i wish cost was no matter to me. smile
I bet shes wearing sweroski (sp) crystals and i bet this image has also been photo shopped to make them sparkel even more.
I would talk to a jewler rather than a stylist or costume maker.

Mar 17 06 11:49 pm Link

Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

if the image is going to be photoshopped, why not get the crystals from a craft store or whatnot, and put them on, and work with them within the program, since it'd likely be retouched anyway (as it appears the example pic was)?

Mar 17 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Hello.
Would any of you know where to obtain rhinestone or crystal pieces such as:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000 … ZZZZZ_.jpg

I realize that it will probably cost a small fortune, but I don't care about cost.

Jayne

you can special order crystal from some jewelry stores. also you may want to look up the fire mountain bead company on the web, they carry crystal but it isnt cheap. one trick thats worked for me in the past is to use 90% glass with crystal dispersed randomly about. its more economical.

Mar 18 06 12:12 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

I don't care if it's made out of glass.  I just don't possess the talent to manufacture the piece.  Who would I go to if I wanted it put together?

Jewelry store huh?

Mar 18 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Mar 18 06 01:23 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Thanks.

Mar 18 06 01:25 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
I don't care if it's made out of glass.  I just don't possess the talent to manufacture the piece.  Who would I go to if I wanted it put together?

Jewelry store huh?

me! but im not cheap either.

Mar 18 06 01:47 am Link

Photographer

James Johnson

Anaheim, California, US

Believe it or not, I got lucky and found a couple of pieces on Ebay.  Not cheap, but I got what I wanted and the quality was good.

Mar 18 06 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

You need to come to NYC, there is a WHOLE street dedicated to Rhinestones and Australian Crystals...

Also, you could make them sparkle w/o using photoshop...just get a real good photog!!!

Mar 18 06 02:01 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Thanks everyone, but I need someone to create this piece.  I can only pay for the materials to put it together. . .I can't put it together.

*thump*

Mar 18 06 02:33 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Jewelry store huh?

hasan wrote:

Hasan:
If you can seriously make that piece. . .kick me some numbers.

Mar 18 06 02:34 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Jewelry store huh?

hasan wrote:

Hasan:

Jayne Jones wrote:
If you can seriously make that piece. . .kick me some numbers.

Yeah Hasan, how much to make it???

Mar 18 06 03:04 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

that would depend on the cost of the materials.labour would run upwards of $100 if you would want that specific piece. my total estimate is around$250 but i could be a little off. but thats the rough figure that your looking at. ive done simalar pieces using coral beads for roughly that price.

Mar 18 06 03:21 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

hasan wrote:
that would depend on the cost of the materials.labour would run upwards of $100 if you would want that specific piece. my total estimate is around$250 but i could be a little off. but thats the rough figure that your looking at. ive done simalar pieces using coral beads for roughly that price.

again it depends on the cost of the materials.

Mar 18 06 03:22 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

hasan wrote:

would you be willing to do it if I buy materials and pay labor?

Mar 18 06 05:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Hamza wrote:
Also, you could make them sparkle w/o using photoshop...just get a real good photog!!!

Hamza, I would love to see you create an image like that without using photoshop.  And if you think that photoshop wasn't used in the Klinko/Indrani image the OP posted, you're nuts.

Mar 18 06 03:48 pm Link

Model

LadyLockeout

Dallas, Texas, US

I can make similar pieces, if you're looking for a custom look. I make jewelry in addition to my day job.

If you're only interested in the "sparkle" aspect on camera, but you don't want to spend too much cash, you could look into some of those bright, glittery, plastic faceted beads.

Mar 18 06 05:55 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Ok having looked at the picture I've concluded that it's made of, and something similar could be made out of the strings of rhinestones in flat backed prong settings which are connected to one another by a thin flat piece of metal so they slide. Cheap Bracelets are made out of something similar. This is sold in bulk by the spool or yard. Granted, this is probably made of Swarovskis and possibly even set in platinum with floral braoches broaches, but the string and mesh work is in a setting as described. Where you run into trouble is that to have it connected the way it is, it must be soldered together at various points. I sincerely doubt that ANYONE that makes jewlery in their spare time could make this. It would take a person with knowlege not only of clothing pattern drafting AND jewlery making and good luck with that. So you're looking at probably three bills for the stones alone, at least that much for someone to sketch out the pattern schematics and make the damn thing and it STILL won't look EXACTLY like the photo. So you're looking at spending in excess, possibly greatly in excess of 500 dollars for something which will be unoriginal, a pale imitation of your ideal, UNCOMFORTABLE and only wearable that one time.   Beyonce is a pretty girl but she looks tacky tacky tacky most of the time anyway, and this doesn't disappoint. Why pay through the nose to imitate that?

Mar 18 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Joshua Gottesman

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Check out Fire Mountain Gems.  They have a wide variety of crystal and rhinestone.  Mrs. J uses them frequently.

Mar 18 06 08:18 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:
Ok having looked at the picture I've concluded that it's made of, and something similar could be made out of the strings of rhinestones in flat backed prong settings which are connected to one another by a thin flat piece of metal so they slide. Cheap Bracelets are made out of something similar. This is sold in bulk by the spool or yard. Granted, this is probably made of Swarovskis and possibly even set in platinum with floral braoches broaches, but the string and mesh work is in a setting as described. Where you run into trouble is that to have it connected the way it is, it must be soldered together at various points. I sincerely doubt that ANYONE that makes jewlery in their spare time could make this. It would take a person with knowlege not only of clothing pattern drafting AND jewlery making and good luck with that. So you're looking at probably three bills for the stones alone, at least that much for someone to sketch out the pattern schematics and make the damn thing and it STILL won't look EXACTLY like the photo. So you're looking at spending in excess, possibly greatly in excess of 500 dollars for something which will be unoriginal, a pale imitation of your ideal, UNCOMFORTABLE and only wearable that one time.   Beyonce is a pretty girl but she looks tacky tacky tacky most of the time anyway, and this doesn't disappoint. Why pay through the nose to imitate that?

I take it your response means that you wouldn't be interested in duplicating such a piece?

Mar 18 06 09:23 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
I take it your response means that you wouldn't be interested in duplicating such a piece?

yes and no. I was trying to clarify for you that it was NOT a simple thing to do, would be costly, impractical and unoriginal. Just because I can make an educated guess as to how the thing was made does not mean that I posess the skill to do so myself. I might be able to throw something together yes, but I have no faith that it would look that good or professional. If anything I was trying to talk you out of it. How do I put this delicately...Having the same rhinestone blouse will NOT make you look like beyonce' and I would hate to have you drop a bunch of money to find that out. Then again, if you can find someone that can do it, knock yourself out.  Just don't say I didn't tell you so. At least now you have a decent idea of how it might have been made. 

If you're trying to solicit someone to actually construct the thing, I'm pretty sure that you're on the wrong forum

Mar 19 06 01:19 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

would you be willing to do it if I buy materials and pay labor?

im tied up with a show im producing until may after that no problem. keep in mind that my estimate wasnt for a full crystal piece. so it will sparkle but not like that photo. ive seen full crystal pieces similar to the one beyonce is wearing go for over $800. victorias secret used to carry a crystal bra that cost about $1000 if i remember correctly. if you would still like me to make a piece for you send me a private message on my profile site.

Mar 19 06 02:16 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:

Hamza, I would love to see you create an image like that without using photoshop.  And if you think that photoshop wasn't used in the Klinko/Indrani image the OP posted, you're nuts.

you could produce the sparkle by using a four point  or starburst filter.

Mar 19 06 02:18 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

By the way, if your photographer lights it with reflected light it should sparkle, but still show all the detail. He would put a light above the background shooting onto two white reflector pieces bent horitzontally down the middle. This creates an even reflective surface that allows the stones to shine and still have all the detail you need,

Star

Mar 19 06 02:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

hasan wrote:
you could produce the sparkle by using a four point  or starburst filter.

Star wrote:
By the way, if your photographer lights it with reflected light it should sparkle, but still show all the detail. He would put a light above the background shooting onto two white reflector pieces bent horitzontally down the middle. This creates an even reflective surface that allows the stones to shine and still have all the detail you need,

Star

Do you all honestly think that the image the OP was referring to was not photoshopped?  Oh my.

Mar 19 06 12:56 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

This could be a seriously dumb question but why not just buy a similar piece?

http://www.ronsrhinestones.com/large4.html

That's a good place to go if you don't HAVE to have an exact replica of the piece worn by Beyonce.

Good Luck!

~Tiffany B.~

Mar 19 06 02:50 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:
How do I put this delicately...Having the same rhinestone blouse will NOT make you look like beyonce' and I would hate to have you drop a bunch of money to find that out.

*LOL*  That tickles me!  Glad I'm not a teenager or else that statement might have hurt my self esteem and make me run to go slit my wrists. 

I do not want to look like Beyonce.  I think she's funny looking personally.  I want the top for a shoot.  I plan to wear other shiny, crystal like things in the shoot and I thought that top would really work for what I'm doing.  For example, I also plan to do a mock VS shoot with fluffy angel wings and a rhinestone bra, wrist cuffs and choker.  So goal was most definitely NOT to look like Beyonce.  I'm 28 not 12.

Mar 19 06 06:01 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Tiffany_B wrote:
This could be a seriously dumb question but why not just buy a similar piece?

http://www.ronsrhinestones.com/large4.html

That's a good place to go if you don't HAVE to have an exact replica of the piece worn by Beyonce.

Good Luck!

~Tiffany B.~

Thanks Tiff.  That was very helpful. . .and also my Plan B.  smile

Mar 19 06 06:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

FAIRFAX STATION, Virginia, US

Oh that was definitely photoshopped. I remember seeing the original on the digital artists portfolio. It was one of those aweome transformations, hardly any sparkle, not an even sheen to the skin, etc. It was at least a year ago I saw it. Now I'm going to do my research and see which artist did it. He does only digital imaging for a living.

Mar 19 06 07:15 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

*LOL*  That tickles me!  Glad I'm not a teenager or else that statement might have hurt my self esteem and make me run to go slit my wrists. 

I do not want to look like Beyonce.  I think she's funny looking personally.  I want the top for a shoot.  I plan to wear other shiny, crystal like things in the shoot and I thought that top would really work for what I'm doing.  For example, I also plan to do a mock VS shoot with fluffy angel wings and a rhinestone bra, wrist cuffs and choker.  So goal was most definitely NOT to look like Beyonce.  I'm 28 not 12.

I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings, I was just giving you the benefit of my advice. Telling me that you plan to drop money on tacky crap hurts MY feelings. If you want to look like a disco ball that's fine by me. It's just that it's my JOB to not let people look bad for photographs so the habit is kind of hard to break. As long as you're happy with it, Carry On...But ask yourself what I have to gain here. I'm not a sadist that likes making people feel bad and I'm not going to be taking your money to make the thing. I'm just trying to give you a nickle's worth of free advice to wear something that will better suit your body. this is officially no longer worth my time. I wouldn't style you OR the type of shoot you're doing without Pay and that's only because I'm not established enough to turn down a paying gig. Fly away little cherub...

Mar 19 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:

Photoshop was used in the pic to SOFTEN the skin tone... the sparkle is EASY to do w/o photoshop!

That is why you are a Stylist and NOT a Photographer. 

Put down some hard cold cash and I'll bet you I can duplicate that pic w/o Photoshop!!!

Let's see, I'll bet you my day rate of $1,200.00  I'll put my money where my mouth is at will you???

Mar 19 06 08:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

So you'll pay me $1200 if you cannot recreate that image with no PS?  I'm not talking about just the sparkle.  And who will judge the image?  This sounds like a great deal to me. smile

Mar 19 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
So you'll pay me $1200 if you cannot recreate that image with no PS?  I'm not talking about just the sparkle.  And who will judge the image?  This sounds like a great deal to me. smile

LMAO
When I recreate the image w/o using photoshop, using soft filters combined with high-power lights and only using a small aperture, then you will pay me $1,200.00

If I fail(highly unlikely), then I will give you the $1,200.00

As for the judges, we'll pick 3 random people from the street...

I'll be in Texas this summer, I'm game if you are...

Mar 19 06 09:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

cool, drinks are on miss ashley https://bestsmileys.com/drinking/8.gif

Mar 19 06 09:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

You are talking just sparkle right? Why do I have a feeling i'm gonna see some playboy glow or difused filter look out of this "recreation" of yours with no photoshop. The Beyonce pic is by no means a playboy softened type look.

Mar 19 06 09:49 pm Link

Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

I really don't think it's possible. Without editing.

And working in the darkroom using film and retouching it there is the same as using photoshop on digital. *shrug*

I'd be interested in seeing it.

Mar 19 06 09:52 pm Link

Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

I really don't think it's possible. Without editing.

And working in the darkroom using film and retouching it there is the same as using photoshop on digital. *shrug*

I'd be interested in seeing it.

Mar 19 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Aiyoonee

Gilberts, Illinois, US

I actually saw one top like that offered on ebay not too long ago. I know a couple of online stores also carry them. Just google "rhinestone top" and I am sure you will find it. Good luck!

Mar 19 06 10:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

Ok back to the picture and who shot it. If you do some research you see that the picture was shot by this photographer...  http://www.markusklinko-indrani.com/pho … y/main.htm

In trying to search more to find the example of them having retouched this and in knowing they pride themselves in their retouching skills I came across this want ad they posted...

Markus Klinko & Indrani photo studio seeks full-time senior photo retoucher.
Must have the following credentials:

• 7-10 Years Experience
• Beauty Retouching for International Cosmetic Campaigns
• Precision Techniques to Retouch Skin and Hair
• Must Fully Preserve Skin Texture- NO airbrushing/blurring!
• Expert Attention to Details and Quality
• Highly Proficient Color Skills
• Experience working in an ICC Profiled Workflow
• Conversions from RGB to CMYK Ability a plus

*Essential: You must be comfortable working creatively and under very precise direction. Very close collaboration with our team is required. Very long hours, must be flexible.

This is a job opportunity for high-end professional retouchers ONLY.

Please do not apply if you are a junior or beginner.
Please provide 2-3 images that you have retouched or link to online portfolio.
Portfolio review and retouch test will be conducted for qualifying applicants.

Submit Images:
[email protected]

NO PHONE OR FAX INQUIRIES WILL BE CONSIDERED!

www.markusklinko-indrani.com

Mar 19 06 10:22 pm Link