Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Is make up that hard to put on ?

Photographer

Raven Photography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I'm just wondering is make up that hard to put on ?

I've never tried it myself as I don't know the basic's but to me it doesn't look that hard.

Be gentle with me stylists and make up artist's I am a photographer not a make up artist. (thanks)

Mar 20 06 04:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

Anha Nguyen

Orange, California, US

then try, go choose a picture to recreate, try something more harder than foundation blush and lip gloss, and recreate it, post the untouched pictures! i want to see, because i had my boyfriend do my makeup once and...well it isnt as easy as it looks

Mar 20 06 04:24 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

Mmmmmmm ..........don't wait for a responce. Run now while you've the chance!

Seriously, make up artists and stylists do so much more than apply this or provide that. So many times they are the unsung heroes of photosessions. The best of the best not only provide an excellent service, they know how to provide that service.

on second thought, you better run. wink

Mar 20 06 04:27 am Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

Make up it's easy to "put".  However it's hard to "put" with Talent and creativity.  It's easy to "put" some lip stick and make a so or so eye but you need talent as a painter to create a make up that brings the best in the model,  helps to sell a product, to make an amazing image or create a fantasy.  There is a reason they call make up Artist, a lot people can do it but just few can make it with quality.

Mar 20 06 04:39 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

Bruce Talbot wrote:
Mmmmmmm ..........don't wait for a responce. Run now while you've the chance!

Seriously, make up artists and stylists do so much more than apply this or provide that. So many times they are the unsung heroes of photosessions. The best of the best not only provide an excellent service, they know how to provide that service.

on second thought, you better run. wink

LOL !!

ALL make up artists and stylist's PLEASE remember that I appreciate ALL of you and the work you all achieve DEFINITELY ! makes my photos AWESOME !!

And I'm sure every photographer appreciates everyone of you out there and your hard work.

I'm ready to run wink

Mar 20 06 04:46 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

luciano  Mello wrote:
Make up it's easy to "put".  However it's hard to "put" with Talent and creativity.  It's easy to "put" some lip stick and make a so or so eye but you need talent as a painter to create a make up that brings the best in the model,  helps to sell a product, to make an amazing image or create a fantasy.  There is a reason they call make up Artist, a lot people can do it but just few can make it with quality.

Exactly. I was going to say it's easy to put on, but to make it look good is another thing altogether. Luciano said it much better. Makeup will make or break a photograph; it's really that simple. I've seen many photos that would have been really good if they had decent makeup. If you can find a makeup artist to work with I highly reccomend you work with them; your models will look even better! I had a really good makeup artist on my last shoot, and I wouldn't have even tried it without her. She did an amazing job, and she added a great deal to the success of the photo session. I believe that whenever possible a team consisting of photographer, model, makeup artist and stylist should be utalized for the best possible results. Sometimes you'll work with a model who can actually do makeup and styling, but they are quite rare (the "goggle goth girl" in my port is one of those). All too often I've worked with models who say they can do makeup, but in reality they really can't. It is an art, and done properly it will add a whole new dimension to the work.

-P-

Mar 20 06 04:49 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Raven Photography wrote:

LOL !!

ALL make up artists and stylist's PLEASE remember that I appreciate ALL of you and the work you all achieve DEFINITELY ! makes my photos AWESOME !!

And I'm sure every photographer appreciates everyone of you out there and your hard work.

I'm ready to run wink

I know I do. Makeup artists rock!

-P-

Mar 20 06 04:49 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

luciano  Mello wrote:

Never thought of this. To have talent to bring the best out of a model as each models face would be different. That never occurred to me until what you just said.

See I have a photographers mind for light not a make up / stylists mind for that particular talent.

Yes the word 'artist' never occurred to me either as being an 'artist'.

That helps me understand it better.

Mar 20 06 04:52 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

Pat Thielen wrote:

Exactly. I was going to say it's easy to put on, but to make it look good is another thing altogether. Luciano said it much better. Makeup will make or break a photograph; it's really that simple. I've seen many photos that would have been really good if they had decent makeup. If you can find a makeup artist to work with I highly reccomend you work with them; your models will look even better! I had a really good makeup artist on my last shoot, and I wouldn't have even tried it without her. She did an amazing job, and she added a great deal to the success of the photo session. I believe that whenever possible a team consisting of photographer, model, makeup artist and stylist should be utalized for the best possible results. Sometimes you'll work with a model who can actually do makeup and styling, but they are quite rare (the "goggle goth girl" in my port is one of those). All too often I've worked with models who say they can do makeup, but in reality they really can't. It is an art, and done properly it will add a whole new dimension to the work.

-P-

Thanks for that input Pat. I am thankful to say I have never come across a make up artist that has done a poor job. If they had my images would be worthless.

Must be careful of models who say they can do their own make up now.

Thankfully I have a make up artist and stylist booked for my next three photo shoots.

*Big sigh of relief*

Mar 20 06 05:00 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

Anha Nguyen wrote:
then try, go choose a picture to recreate, try something more harder than foundation blush and lip gloss, and recreate it, post the untouched pictures! i want to see, because i had my boyfriend do my makeup once and...well it isnt as easy as it looks

Well I know my hand can be steady holding a camera Anha but it wouldnt be steady using make up on a models face freestyle. I can barely draw a perfectly straight line freestyle let alone eyeliner around the edge of a models eye. I'd probably hurt her or draw a wobbly line or apply too much pressure or perhaps not enough. I'd seriously be scared of accidently poking it in her eye. :S

Think I've just answered my own question.

But you don't think of these things until you talk about them and I've never talked about it with anyone before.

I wouldn't even try Anha.

Mar 20 06 05:11 am Link

Model

Sari

Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

To put on proper make up for photoshoots is harder than for "daily life" cause you got to use much more colour or it will hardly show in the pic. That´s why many model-starters can´t do it right.

Also one might tends uses the same look over and over again after it proofed ok, but a make up artist and stylist can show you different sides of yourself that you wouldn´t dare to try yourself. I personally would love to do more things with make up artists and stylists to see more possibilities!

Mar 20 06 05:59 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

if it were easy, the ratio of good to mediocre muas would be much higher.

Mar 20 06 06:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

It's easy (well sometimes and I will explain why in a minute) for everyday...but if you want something well done for a photoshoot, it's not just lipstick and eye shadow.  There's highlighting and coutouring and all this lighting effects that go into it.

The reason why I say "sometimes" above is because believe it or not, A LOT of women dont know what goes into applying makeup.  Everyone at my job knows what I do and I have women asking me simple tips and tricks.

So is makeup hard to apply?  I say it depends but the overall answer is:

YES!  =P

Mar 20 06 08:13 am Link

Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

I'm NOT an MUA but I'd have to say yes, it is.
It's not something that just comes naturally, and it's not something that just can be slopped on.
Also,  many models don't possess the necessary tools to make their makeup look the way it should, nor do they possess the ability to look at their features and to see all of the potential.

That is just my (probably uninformed) opinion. smile

Mar 20 06 08:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Raven Photography wrote:

I've never tried it myself as I don't know the basic's but to me it doesn't look that hard.

Be gentle with me stylists and make up artist's I am a photographer not a make up artist. (thanks)

photography doesnt "LOOK" hard either and in fact most people own a camera and take pictures....there is a big difference however between these people (just about everyone) and the pros.    Makeup artistry is like photography, you will find many people calling themselves pros...the proof is in the portfolio....

Mar 20 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Raven Photography wrote:

Are pictures that hard to take? I mean, all you do is point the camera and push the button, right?

Right. I'm sure you see how silly that question was, then. smile Sure, anybody can point a camera, and  - although makeup requires more hand/eye coordination - anybody can dust a blush brush. But that doesn't make it easy. Frankly, I'd rather be a photographer. Applying makeup looks like a LOT more work.

M

Mar 20 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Makeup kit:  $7000
Knowing how to put it on: Priceless.

For everything else, just max out your Mastercard.

Makeup artists rock!

Mar 20 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

StMarc wrote:

Are pictures that hard to take? I mean, all you do is point the camera and push the button, right?

M

That's all I do... you mean there's more to it...?

Do'h!

Mar 20 06 01:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

words were taken right out of my mouth
As a make-up Artist the answer is "yes", for me. I am professionally trained ,I have expericance with differnt face shape, eye shape, skin tones,skin textures and any other little thing that might "pop" up. but the answer is "no" for anyone who isnt trained or skilled in the art of Make-up.
That question was a little silly I think. It's like me saying "is taking pictures really that hard?" all you do is point and click, set up some lights and tell a model how to move. and now once you hear the other question dont you think its a little rude?
honestly if make-up was easy to apply I would be out of a job. there would be no need for professional make-up artist.
I have seen models and photographers "do make-up" and I want to cringe or run over and fix it, but if its not my shoot why the heck should I care?
but thats just my 2 cents...Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Mar 20 06 02:08 pm Link

Model

Mary wrote:
photography doesnt "LOOK" hard either and in fact most people own a camera and take pictures....there is a big difference however between these people (just about everyone) and the pros.    Makeup artistry is like photography

Great way of putting that - Lots of people get their picture taken but they're not a model. Lots of people own makeup and put it on, many women are required to at their work like guys wearing ties - but just as there is a huge difference between a pro photographer and someone with a camera, there is with a make up artist, model, etc

Mar 20 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

I imagine it's a lot like taking a picture.  It's not hard to click the shutter but it requires a bit more experience and talent to create a great photograph.

Mar 20 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Raven Photography wrote:

I've seen some photographers try it on their models, and the resulting photos look like a three-year-old playing with mommy's makeup!

A talented makeup artist is better than Photoshop, and you only need to deal with the blemishes once...

Mar 20 06 02:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

I am a talented painter (oils) and it took me years to understand and utilize my medium. I think the talent is there to begin with in each artist, but you have to put in the time to really be a master of your medium- and in this case, with skin as the canvas, it is even more tricky and dimensional. You are working on a warm, animated canvas that differs in texture and tone with each person. You have to understand the chemical composition in regard to each product and how it will retain it's character and pigmentation through heat and movement. You have to understand lighting and contouring. You have to be personable and patient. And apparently you have to know how to defend your trade on web forums.

Mar 20 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Blei Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Everytime I try to put on makeup, I end up looking like a girl.

Mar 20 06 03:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

SmartAz Photography wrote:
Everytime I try to put on makeup, I end up looking like a girl.

ahh poor you  I offer lessons smile

Mar 20 06 08:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

If you could only see how much I have improved since my first job you would see how much learning and experience really do go into this.  I SUCKED to be honest.  I feel like I keep getting better every year, just like photographers, you make mistakes you learn from them and you become better over the years and so it really is a learning process that never ends.   An artist that has been on a lot of shoots has already figured out the hard way what doesnt work on camera so experience is important as well.

Mar 20 06 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

Mary wrote:

photography doesnt "LOOK" hard either and in fact most people own a camera and take pictures....there is a big difference however between these people (just about everyone) and the pros.    Makeup artistry is like photography, you will find many people calling themselves pros...the proof is in the portfolio....

Yes I have to agree there. Some photography doesn't look hard but people who don't understand photography don't realise how much goes into it. Exposure's, how to work with and around lighting, shadow. Then theres technical details of equipment and how to use it all. And this is just a glimpse of a 'photographer'.

Mar 20 06 11:42 pm Link

Model

MarleneM aka Mimi

Jamaica, New York, US

Let's see, it's as easy as painting the Mona Lisa.

Mar 21 06 11:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Glamy Makeup

Dunedin, Florida, US

it's not "easy", like any craft it's a skill that is develops over time.  There is a lot to learn about different faces, features, skin types, allergies, etc.

As someone mentioned makeup for photography differs from every day makeup.  Someone can put a lot of black eyeliner on to go to a dark night club and it looks ok, doesn't mean the same type of makeup is going to look anything less than scary in a professional photo. 

Having a mua present gives a unique look for the model, rather than if she had done her own makeup the same way she always does.

Also, on many shoots where I work as the MUA I also end up performing other duties such as helping with dressing, hair, props, and personally assisting the photographer and/or model with other random things.  So it's not just "putting on makeup".

Mar 22 06 12:07 am Link

Makeup Artist

complexionperfecton

Natick, Massachusetts, US

Make-up is easy to apply.  Good make-up requires work.  Great make-up requires talent,  work,  vision,  creativity, practice....
thank you for all the kind comments you have made about MUA's. We all appreciate it.

gail

Mar 22 06 05:21 pm Link

Model

HurtMeSo

Paris, Arkansas, US

XtremeArtists wrote:
I've seen some photographers try it on their models, and the resulting photos look like a three-year-old playing with mommy's makeup!

Exactly!
My husband and favourite photographer ^^ tried to make me up once. I gave him directions and it ended up... horrible! I was laughing so much! Nothing was symetrical, nor the mouth neither the eyes. Terrible! I wish I had had a photo done of this tragedy, lol!

Mar 24 06 11:00 am Link

Model

Vickie

Pompano Beach, Florida, US

Professional Makeup Artists are G-R-E-A-T!!!  They possess the experience, training, talent, and creativity to produce fabulous results!  You can own all the right tools, but if you don't know what to do with them, it doesn't matter!   

Vickie

Mar 24 06 11:09 am Link

Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

HurtMeSo wrote:

Exactly!
My husband and favourite photographer ^^ tried to make me up once. I gave him directions and it ended up... horrible! I was laughing so much! Nothing was symetrical, nor the mouth neither the eyes. Terrible! I wish I had had a photo done of this tragedy, lol!

You're a brave soul there...

Mar 24 06 12:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

i have worked with a photograher who claimed to do all his own makeup and styling... should have claimed that he has extensive photoshop skills. basically he smeared yellow and blue eyeshadow ALL over the models eyes and told her... don't worry I'll fix it in photoshop.

i about died!

Mar 25 06 10:54 am Link