Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Barbie Plastic Look

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

I am doing a new series with models in that I shoot them with a Barbie doll look. Up untill know, I have used clays and oils to get my effects. But to achive the texture, feel and look of the actual Barbie Doll skin, I need new ideas.

I thought of body paint but want to avoid anything that is wet or anything that when dried, would wringle if moved..

Any ideas?

Mar 23 06 11:52 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Photoshop?
*ducks*

Mar 23 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

Nemi wrote:
Photoshop?
*ducks*

well of course PS.. I will make the barbie doll hinges with PS but I do want a plastic feel to my models.

Maybe I should work with blonds only for the "plastic" feel.. lol  ok, that was bad..all blonds will hate me now

Mar 24 06 12:19 am Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

that idea kicks ass!
slightly disturbing in a way-but fun!

Mar 24 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

pamela mars wrote:
that idea kicks ass!
slightly disturbing in a way-but fun!

why thank you, check out my model call on my OMP site for more..

by the way, you look like my favorite model "Lady" from Atlanta, you could be her twin sister.. scary cool..

Mar 24 06 12:26 am Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

HokNok wrote:

by the way, you look like my favorite model "Stacy" from Atlanta, you could be her twin sister.. scary cool..

send a link! i wana see!
i already have a twin sister though:P

Mar 24 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

Mar 24 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Lord-ent

St Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Have you ever thought of a theatrical liquid latex?  One dried it becomes like a second skin, and when conditioned it has the same gloss finish as plastic. The barbie doll look au natural. big_smile

Mar 24 06 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

Idoluncovered wrote:
Have you ever thought of a theatrical liquid latex?  One dried it becomes like a second skin, and when conditioned it has the same gloss finish as plastic. The barbie doll look au natural. big_smile

yes, its currently number one on my list..

has any body had any experience with this media?

Mar 24 06 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Lord-ent

I have used it on several occasions.  not for the same purpose though. I use it to cover up dark large tatoos that some models have.  And also I have used it for theatrical makeup work.
I use Grafobian theatrical liquid latex.  The bottle in front of me says they are out of madison, WI.  But it is a tad expensive.
Best applied with a fine sponge brush, to avoid streaks and bubblening. big_smile

Mar 24 06 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

Idoluncovered wrote:
I have used it on several occasions.  not for the same purpose though. I use it to cover up dark large tatoos that some models have.  And also I have used it for theatrical makeup work.
I use Grafobian theatrical liquid latex.  The bottle in front of me says they are out of madison, WI.  But it is a tad expensive.
Best applied with a fine sponge brush, to avoid streaks and bubblening. big_smile

I need something less expensive and comes in a gallon can.. I want to cover the entrie body..

Mar 24 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Arturo J

Fremont, California, US

To the O/P...check out the male fashion shot within my profile
if that's plastic enough for you, contact me & I'll tell you what I
did:-)

Mar 24 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Lord-ent

Deviant also makes a liquid latex, and they sell it by the gallon.  there are other companies that also sell the skin toned LL by the gallon, I have seen some for $40 a gallon.  they are easy to find with a google search.  The conditioner is really the key though to get the glossy look.

Mar 24 06 01:03 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I don't know... I've got to see the endresult... because what pops into my mind are all those overphotoshopped plastic faces (just saw one... and just can't understand the photographers who give all those incredible positive feedback)... what is wrong with real skin, using the healing tool to remove pimples and scars... but leaving the texture of the skin even, but natural...

No to those plastic faces...

I was just so tempted to leave a comment regarding "cool CG art" or something like that.

Man... if the model is ugly, so ugly that you have to photoshop the face into oblivion, so that only the squeezed boobies remind one that that maybe a real person behind the mask..., how is that still considered photography?

Ack... I am tired... logging off now.

Mar 24 06 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

HokNok wrote:

by the way, you look like my favorite model "Lady" from Atlanta, you could be her twin sister.. scary cool..

I have pics of Lady in my port!

Mar 24 06 01:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

Anatomy FX

Toms River, New Jersey, US

The problem with using liquid latex is that it will wrinkle badly when the model moves. You'll most likely end up with very wrinkly joints and skin that looks like an old woman rather than the smooth texture-less look you're going for.

Mar 24 06 05:04 am Link

Model

Omaha, Nebraska, US

to give skin a flawless smooth dolly look,get good liquid and powder foundation on their face and a shimmer powder all over.

Mar 24 06 05:21 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

HokNok wrote:
I am doing a new series with models in that I shoot them with a Barbie doll look. Up untill know, I have used clays and oils to get my effects. But to achive the texture, feel and look of the actual Barbie Doll skin, I need new ideas.

Snip

Any ideas?

Ask some of the Photoshop artist around how to smooth the skin pore free.
All my models have real skin.

Mar 24 06 05:44 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

sometime the photoshop smoothing get comical; like a Jim Carey routine.
Try a 'real' method first!

Mar 24 06 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Champion Hamilton

New York, New York, US

I couldn't agree more. Sometimes I think a few take a lazy batch median filter approach instead of the healing too. Especially with the spot healing tool, getting rid of a few pimples.

As for the actual Barbie Doll look, that could be interesting. It makes more sense to see someone who is actually meant to look like a plastic doll.

UdoR wrote:
I don't know... I've got to see the endresult... because what pops into my mind are all those overphotoshopped plastic faces (just saw one... and just can't understand the photographers who give all those incredible positive feedback)... what is wrong with real skin, using the healing tool to remove pimples and scars... but leaving the texture of the skin even, but natural...

Not those plastic faces...

I was just so tempted to leave a comment regarding "cool CG art" or something like that.

Man... if the model is ugly, so ugly that you have to photoshop the face into oblivion, so that only the squeezed boobies remind one that that maybe a real person behind the mask..., how is that still considered photography?

Ack... I am tired... logging off now.

Mar 24 06 09:28 am Link

Photographer

L Foto

Maumelle, Arkansas, US

UdoR wrote:

Not those plastic faces...

I agree total.  I started a posting about how I don't think the photoshop Barbie look is good photography as while back.  It just means someone knows how to use photoshop. 

I do think the ideal of photographing a model that really looks like a Barbie instead of photoshoping it is cool.  BTW...love the work you have done so far.  It must take you all day to create the look for some of your photos.

Mar 24 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

As an artist and not a fashion photographer, My goal is the PLASTIC look!

Its the whole point of my photo series, to show models in Barbie looking poses with social commentaries. I am not doing this for a fashion shot.

I just need help with the body treatment. The latex sounds like a good idea but I am leaning more to just make-up, over the whole body. I have done this with clay and oils but never make-up. Because I need so much (more than just the face) I am wanting to keep it economical as well.

I am a big fan of Photoshop, even have the very first version.. so I know what I can do with it.. but my weakness is make-up.

I am just a caveman photo-artist.. lol

Mar 24 06 10:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Talya

New York, New York, US

Arturo J wrote:
To the O/P...check out the male fashion shot within my profile
if that's plastic enough for you, contact me & I'll tell you what I
did:-)

I LOVE IT!! i'd love to know how you did it!!

Mar 24 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

Craig Thomson wrote:

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
sometime the photoshop smoothing get comical; like a Jim Carey routine.
Try a 'real' method first!

That's what I was implying, but he did say plastic type skin and that what over Photoshopped photos look like to me, comical.

Mar 24 06 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

If not makeup.. I'm well known for turning models into barbies in photoshop (usually without intending to)..

If you have access to two plugins: Noise Ninja and the Kodak Airbrushing plugin..  These two things in combination do an amazing job of making the barbie look..

Mar 24 06 05:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

i like that only one stylist responded to this post.

i wouldnt use liquid latex. it smells like fish, it can be hard to get off and I dont think it will get you the look you are going for.

if you want that plastic perfect skin look buy sally hansens airbrush legs and use it everywhere then set it with powder.

Mar 24 06 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

I like the sally hansens airbrush legs idea. Its cheaper as well. Willone bottle coat the whole body or just the legs only?

Mar 24 06 10:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Or a waterproof foundation (igia makes an inexpensive one that has intense coverage) with a coat of Pam cooking spray over it.

Mar 24 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

Jessica Steele wrote:
Or a waterproof foundation (igia makes an inexpensive one that has intense coverage) with a coat of Pam cooking spray over it.

Could I substitute the Pam spray with an Olive oil spray or baby oil?

whats the name of the igia product... nice work by the way!

Mar 24 06 11:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Thank you *blush*. It is called Igia instant cover (can be used all over the body including face- smudgeproof, waterproof, and won't come off on clothing). Look on Ebay and then the igia site. As for the Pam- we had a stylist forum about this awhile ago and everyone agrees pam is the best- it stays even, gives a great sheen effect without being too reflective, and has a nice mist- making application a breeze. (Make sure to use waterproof makeup all around).

Mar 25 06 12:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I have a barbie in my portfolio e-mail me if you like what you see I might share my secrets  smile
Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Mar 25 06 12:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

Anha Nguyen

Orange, California, US

Eric Reddar does some really good doll photography!

https://jedroot.com/makeup/cd/full/dedicate/art/dedicate-01-01.jpg

Mar 25 06 02:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Anha Nguyen

Orange, California, US

ph makeup by Catherine Dargenton

Mar 25 06 02:22 am Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

Anha Nguyen wrote:
Eric Reddar does some really good doll photography!

https://jedroot.com/makeup/cd/full/dedicate/art/dedicate-01-01.jpg

can you send me a link to his work, I can noy seem to google him?

Mar 25 06 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Have you considered a gelatin and glycerine mix?  Can be tinted depending on limited use of flavoured brands or makup foundation in the mix (lemon/strawberry mixed = pink) and color intensity adjustable by using lots of unflavoured.  Glycerine limits drying but high humidity helps too.  Showers right off - experiment. I know you don't want wet but a compromise might be needed.

Mar 25 06 10:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

Anha Nguyen

Orange, California, US

HokNok wrote:

can you send me a link to his work, I can noy seem to google him?

agency link

http://www.giselaspiegelburg.com/EricRe … Jordy.html

and his home page

http://www.ereddad.com/

Mar 25 06 03:52 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Sounds interesting. Good luck finding a real girl with the right proportions. Also keep in mind that most barbies are jointed ONLY on the shoulders and hips, sometimes at the waist though in the past five years or so this has gone by the wayside as the company has tried to give the dolls more realistic proportions. Don't forget the mold-line down the fronts of both legs. Oh the airbrush legs makeup is probably good for doing one entire body with a heavy hand, maybe little extra.  Oh and this should go without saying but don't try to do this yourself, get a makeup artist. You might even be able to find a makeup person to do it for free because it sounds fun. Just pay for the spray makeup and tip her like crazy.

Mar 25 06 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:
Sounds interesting. Good luck finding a real girl with the right proportions. Also keep in mind that most barbies are jointed ONLY on the shoulders and hips, sometimes at the waist though in the past five years or so this has gone by the wayside as the company has tried to give the dolls more realistic proportions. Don't forget the mold-line down the fronts of both legs. Oh the airbrush legs makeup is probably good for doing one entire body with a heavy hand, maybe little extra.  Oh and this should go without saying but don't try to do this yourself, get a makeup artist. You might even be able to find a makeup person to do it for free because it sounds fun. Just pay for the spray makeup and tip her like crazy.

Thanks for the advice, it hard to find a stylist in my area so I do most of the work myself with a female helper. I have experience with body pigments, clays,oils and treatments, but no make-up. Up until know, I did not need make-up since I coated the models body completely with clay and pigments. this time I need one but...none available.

I do not expect to find any models with the Barbie proportions, so I will stretch these out in PS.

I have already thought about the joints and will do a combo body paint and PS work to get the hinges. The mold line is a nice touch.

My mother collects Barbies so I will have more than needed.. I am thinking of retro looks as well.

These shot sessions will start next week and go on for the next three weeks.

Mar 25 06 10:31 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Luis Rafael

New York, New York, US

You can tey ruber or latex stoclings, There was a story in zink magazine last summer who used them and they worked great.  For the body there are clear latex outfits that would be great for his.  You can find them on line on sited that sell fetish costumes.

Mar 27 06 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

Luis Santiago wrote:
You can tey ruber or latex stoclings, There was a story in zink magazine last summer who used them and they worked great.  For the body there are clear latex outfits that would be great for his.  You can find them on line on sited that sell fetish costumes.

things I never knew.. thanx for the idea..

Mar 27 06 09:39 pm Link