Forums > Model Colloquy > Why would a model pay a photographer to take her pictures???

Photographer

00Philip00

Vass, North Carolina, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

Posted by CharliesImages: 
I agree that any NEW model should not have to pay for photos/photo session.  There are enough photographers willing to do TFP sessions that the NEW model will be able to get professional quality photos and a variety of styles.

I feel that these photographers should stop it with the TFP madness, grow some balls and charge them.

I'm WITH VISUAL smile Bring on the calvary, da-da-da-da-da-da.... CHARGE >>>>>

Jul 18 05 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Oxford Artistic Photo

New Oxford, Pennsylvania, US

Well, since I'm new here, and relatively new to model photography, I probably should keep my mouth shut, but this sounds too much like the new models who sign up for a site, and say "No Experience, No TFP/TFCD".  "Pay Only".  Why would an experienced photographer, with thousands invested in his/her equipment, want to pay a modle who does not know what he/she is doing to do a shoot for them, ONLY to have to spend many more hours to edit the shoot?  Now if the model is not getting any picts or a CD in return, than it may be a different issue.

Hal Longue

Jul 18 05 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Tuesday Rene

FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky, US

It really depends on what type of shoot doesn't it?

If I, as a photographer, am going to use these pictures for my own personal gain to sell to magazines or calendars/posters, whatever, yes... I would hire a professional model.

On the other side of the coin, if a model likes what I can offer her and wants me to create a portfolio for her, then he/she pays me and I don't get the rights to sell or publish his/her photos.

It seems reasonable to me.

Jul 19 05 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Ian Powell

Columbus, Ohio, US

quit being a dead thread...

Jul 19 05 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Ian Powell

Columbus, Ohio, US

quit beating a dead thread...

Jul 19 05 10:27 am Link

Photographer

closedprofile

New York, New York, US

Photographers that make a career out of doing shoots should be allowed to earned payments for services that they are doing for a model and/or a client. There's no such "animal" of a image is going to benefit a photographer, unless that photographer is getting paid for his/her work.

Maybe, you have another career besides photographer. However, I give well praise for established and upcoming photographers that can profit from quality images.

I hope that models know that modeling is a career and you must invest in photo sessions, enlargements, a portfolio book, mailings and the like to make it in this industry.

C. Jones
JonesDigitography.com
JonesModels.com

Jul 22 05 01:12 pm Link

Model

Jen-E

Nashville, Tennessee, US

When a photographer has to come to me (I live out in the sticks), then I pay his gas expenses and sometimes a little more. When the photographer shoots only pictures that I want, wardrobe, makeup that I want, etc....then he is paid for his time.

When a photographer and I are swapping ideas back and forth to build our portfolios, then it's TFP.

When I am contracted for a specific project, then I expect to be paid upfront in cash, and the photographer can then sell and resell the images as much as he wants and no split.

If a photographer wants to split the sales of images, then no pay up front and a contract is signed.

Jul 22 05 02:22 pm Link