Forums > Model Colloquy > Why would a model pay a photographer to take her pictures???

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

This is something that I, as a person who takes pictures DO NOT understand. I am not talking about all photographers...it is rather strange how big names in photography do not charge models for shoots, and rinkie dinkie photogs that nobody heard of them charge a lot. Why is that? Why would a model pay a photographer in the first place? Isn't he going to use her pictures anyways? Arent we both benefiting from that shoot? I am TOTALLY against models paying photogs. If a photographer says he is charging to cover some I dont know what costs (like what? the battery or the memory card) I believe this is not right. And I also believe that if a photographer is good enough he will be able to sell his pictures to different places and to even more split it with the model. I know about only 2 big photographers who do this...and I respect them deeply for it.
On the other hand, recently I received a reply to an e-mail sent to a beginer model (note that she only have worked with 1 photographer and had only 3 shoots) where I was informed that if I want to shoot with her she is fine with it and if I am serious about it to reply and ask for her rates...WTF????? You just started walking on heels and already charging for.???...cause she has no wardrobe, no experience NOTHING! This is crap!

Jul 01 05 02:30 am Link

Photographer

EG Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

maybe that one photographer she worked with has now turned into her "manager" and told her to start charging, so he gets a free shoot meanwhile the rest of us have to pay smile

Jul 01 05 02:40 am Link

Model

Anais delLilith

Dayton, Alabama, US

Do you charge for your photograhy sessions?

Jul 01 05 02:48 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Because professional commercial photographers don't shoot for free.

They have $20K worth of equipment and paying jobs lined up.

Their work is published in magazines, and they know the look that agencies want to show paying clients.

Jul 01 05 02:49 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Their work is published in magazines, and they know the look that agencies want to show paying clients.

Ok, I was saying...known photographers (and I now add with all the equipment in the world) DO NOT charge models and the the aspiring ones do...why would a model pay Joe Blow when she can go and shoot for free with a "brand name photographer"???

Jul 01 05 02:58 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Pitaru: 
Ok, I was saying...known photographers (and I now add with all the equipment in the world) DO NOT charge models and the the aspiring ones do...why would a model pay Joe Blow when she can go and shoot for free with a "brand name photographer"???

That is a totally different line of photography, even though they are still shooting models.  The photographers that you speak of don't charge the models, clients pay off the photographers.  How do clients get paid?  From the revenue made by the models work, whether the client be an agency, clothing line, some sort of commercial product, etc etc.

am TOTALLY against models paying photogs.

You are TOTALLY out of your mind.  So you're saying that it's the photographer's duty to take pictures of models?  Where the do you get your money to pay for all your camera equipment?

Jul 01 05 03:06 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Pitaru: 

So, you honestly think that a photographer like Herb Ritts (when he was alive) would let models just come in off the street and he'd take their picture for nothing and send them on their way?

LOL

Riiiiiight.

Hear that, models? Just give Annie Leibovitz, Patrick Demarchelier, or Mario Testino a call and they'll shoot your portfolio for FREE! Woohoo! After all, according to Pikachu over here, none of the big name photographers charge any money for shooting! Better yet, just walk into Sears Portrait Studio and tell them that you should get your pictures done for free, because you're a model and models shouldn't pay for photos.

Jul 01 05 03:07 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by Pitaru:

You, dear child - are seriously misinformed and have relegated yourself to the corner of ignorance.

Jul 01 05 03:13 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

So, you honestly think that a photographer like Herb Ritts (when he was alive) would let models just come in off the street and he'd take their picture for nothing and send them on their way?

LOL

Riiiiiight.

Hear that, models? Just give Annie Lebowitz a call and she'll shoot your portfolio for FREE! Woohoo!

After all, according to Pikachu over here, none of the big name photographers charge any money for shooting!

Every third Sunday, Avedon had family portraits for free.

Demarchelier, loves searching the internet, scanning message boards, looking for models to work with when he gets bored doing crossword and logic puzzles.  I hear all you have to do is email him and if you help pay for part of his gas, he'll even come to your house to shoot!  Maybe he's ready for an OH road trip!

Jul 01 05 03:18 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by Pitaru: 

LOL

Riiiiiight.

Hear that, models? Just give Annie Lebowitz a call and she'll shoot your portfolio for FREE! Woohoo!

After all, according to Pikachu over here, none of the big name photographers charge any money for shooting!

Have I been rude to you? Well no, but most probable you took it personally because maybe you charge...You give answers only to parts of my questions...whatever is convenient for you...of course, why not...I dont blame you, who am I to judge YOU?!
Anyways my darling, if you still bother to answer posts on the forum at least answer all the questions not only the ones that offend you...by the way I never heard of you before...do you ever pay models, or models shouldnt be paid? Oh yes, I forgot, you can do you images all by yourself without their help....is it you in all those images in your portfolio? I am impressed if so...you are indeed very versatile...please, dont try to be a bitch with me...I have seen some of your posts and noticed you have the same arguing bitchy attitude with others...doesnt help...and try to shoot for "the fun" not for the money

Jul 01 05 03:18 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

LOL

Riiiiiight.

Have I been rude to you? Well no, but most probable you took it personally because maybe you charge...You give answers only to parts of my questions...whatever is convenient for you...of course, why not...I dont blame you, who am I to judge YOU?!
Anyways my darling, if you still bother to answer posts on the forum at least answer all the questions not only the ones that offend you...by the way I never heard of you before...do you ever pay models, or models shouldnt be paid? Oh yes, I forgot, you can do you images all by yourself without their help....is it you in all those images in your portfolio? I am impressed if so...you are indeed very versatile...please, dont try to be a bitch with me...I have seen some of your posts and noticed you have the same arguing bitchy attitude with others...doesnt help...and try to shoot for "the fun" not for the money

Oh dear, I'm starting to visualize bride of chucky...

Jul 01 05 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by KM von Seidl: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

LOL

Riiiiiight.

Oh dear, I'm starting to visualize bride of chucky...

LOL...dont darling...it should be too painfull for your eyes...do not bother sweating too much over such a small person like me smile

Jul 01 05 03:27 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by KM von Seidl: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

LOL

Riiiiiight.

Every third Sunday, Avedon had family portraits for free.

Demarchelier, loves searching the internet, scanning message boards, looking for models to work with when he gets bored doing crossword and logic puzzles.  I hear all you have to do is email him and if you help pay for part of his gas, he'll even come to your house to shoot!  Maybe he's ready for an OH road trip!

Oh sweets....but my modeling is so lame...no bother...for real...I am a mediocre person, with a mediocre life, personality, intelligence and hatever you want...no, I couldnt

Jul 01 05 03:29 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

From your portfolio "I am new to the photography scene, therefore it is hard to call myself a photographer...I am for the moment only a chick with a very good camera" It also says you are a model so you have a tainted view.

As you say you are new but you are making a definitive statement that is not true. If a photographer has achieved, if only in his mind, a level that does not require another model in his portfolio, why would he not charge to shoot a model?

As a model, would you not charge a photographer if you did not need another photo of the type the photographer shoots?

Mike

Jul 01 05 03:30 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

I was cheering you on until I got to the part where you just HAD to write "Joe Blow". RRRRR. Peanuthead. I take back my compliment for not being creative in the euphemism department.

Jul 01 05 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

I was cheering you on until I got to the part where you just HAD to write "Joe Blow". RRRRR. Peanuthead. I take back my compliment.

I thought Joe Blow was a generic name for any peron...like John Doe...am I wrong?

Jul 01 05 03:36 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 
From your portfolio "I am new to the photography scene, therefore it is hard to call myself a photographer...I am for the moment only a chick with a very good camera" It also says you are a model so you have a tainted view.

As you say you are new but you are making a definitive statement that is not true. If a photographer has achieved, if only in his mind, a level that does not require another model in his portfolio, why would he not charge to shoot a model?

As a model, would you not charge a photographer if you did not need another photo of the type the photographer shoots?

Mike

Actually no, I have never charged photographers UNLESS they were paid from clients so the pictures were taken strictly for advertising....which is different

Jul 01 05 03:37 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

I was cheering you on until I got to the part where you just HAD to write "Joe Blow". RRRRR. Peanuthead. I take back my compliment.

I thought Joe Blow was a generic name for any peron...like John Doe...am I wrong?

Not fair. John gets to be a Doe. sad

Jul 01 05 03:39 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Mike

Actually no, I have never charged photographers UNLESS they were paid from clients so the pictures were taken strictly for advertising....which is different

So do you accept every TFP offer that comes to you? Of course not, if you don't need or want the style you refuse the offer. Right??

Mike

Jul 01 05 03:39 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

And it doesn't even rhyme!

Jul 01 05 03:41 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Pitaru: 
known photographers (and I now add with all the equipment in the world) DO NOT charge models

Posted by Pitaru: 
...by the way I never heard of you before...

You never heard of me?

Whew! Thank goodness! As long as I remain unknown, I guess that means I can still make money with photography!

Jul 01 05 03:42 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

I do alternative crap...no glamour photographer would even want to shoot with me because I am not in his area of interest and of course the vice-versa is applicable...I have never been in the position of reusing a photographer so far because once you get to a style you stick with it and people dont even bother to look over your port...so they dont ask smile

Jul 01 05 03:43 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

My husband who's american and is more specialized in this language then me who live here for 5 months told me so....what is with the Blow anyways?

Jul 01 05 03:44 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by Pitaru: 
known photographers (and I now add with all the equipment in the world) DO NOT charge models

Posted by Pitaru: 
...by the way I never heard of you before...

You never heard of me?

Whew! Thank goodness! As long as I remain unknown, I guess that means I can still make money with photography!

Good luck!

Jul 01 05 03:45 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Pitaru: 
I do alternative crap...no glamour photographer would even want to shoot with me because I am not in his area of interest and of course the vice-versa is applicable...I have never been in the position of reusing a photographer so far because once you get to a style you stick with it and people dont even bother to look over your port...so they dont ask smile

Let me know if you ever come to Florida. BTW I looked over your port, very nice.

Pro photographers and pro models expect to be paid when the shoot is "just a job". It is not a bad thing, odds are s/he will not be able to sell the photos from the job. I do think however if a model pays for the shoot s/he should own the copyright.

Mike

Jul 01 05 03:48 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Pitaru: 
I do alternative crap...no glamour photographer would even want to shoot with me

I'm a glamour photographer and I've shot alternative models, so I think it might just be you.  Well, since you're a model AND photographer and models shouldn't pay photographers, you shoot shoot yourself.  That way, everyone gets a fair deal.

BTW, you are the total opposite of me.  I feel that photographers shouldn't pay models and I am very firm with that.

PS, since big named photographers don't charge models, I feel that big named models shouldn't charge photographers.  What'cha think about that?

smile

Jul 01 05 03:53 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Let me know if you ever come to Florida. BTW I looked over your port, very nice.

Pro photographers and pro models expect to be paid when the shoot is "just a job". It is not a bad thing, odds are s/he will not be able to sell the photos from the job. I do think however if a model pays for the shoot s/he should own the copyright.

Mike

Carefull...this is a specific area in which usage fees come into play. You can license the images for a particular use for a specified time and retain copyright.

Jul 01 05 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Mike

LOL...I will be in Florida next week actually...thank you for the compliment...I dont think you would like to work with me as model as I dont fall in your range style...but maybe for a beer smile

Jul 01 05 03:54 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

My husband who's american and is more specialized in this language then me who live here for 5 months told me so....what is with the Blow anyways?

Can you slap your husband for being a *wrong* English guide? All the Joes in the world will love you for it. wink

Jul 01 05 03:57 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

Posted by Pitaru: 
I do alternative crap...no glamour photographer would even want to shoot with me

I'm a glamour photographer and I've shot alternative models, so I think it might just be you.  Well, since you're a model AND photographer and you models shouldn't pay photographers, you shoot shoot yourself.  That way, everyone gets a fair deal.

BTW, you are the total opposite of me.  I feel that photographers shouldn't pay models and I am very firm with that.

PS, since big named photographers don't charge models, I feel that big named models shouldn't charge photographers.  What'cha think about that?

smile

Of course you are a truly believer i that theory...you are a photographer...but can I ask you...when you ask models to pay for your services do you use their photos even if it's for your port? Do you post them? Do you give them all copyrights?

Jul 01 05 03:57 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Can you slap your husband for being a *wrong* English guide? All the Joes in the world will love you for it. wink

What is with the Blow guy? C'mon dont be mean love to Blow as you love to Doe...is not that much of a difference, but there...* SLAP HONEY* are all the Joes happy now?

Jul 01 05 03:59 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Mike

LOL...I will be in Florida next week actually...thank you for the compliment...I dont think you would like to work with me as model as I dont fall in your range style...but maybe for a beer smile

I am still so new I don't have a style yet. I like shooting B&W artistic. Where will you be in Florida? What kind of beer?

Mike

Jul 01 05 03:59 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Pitaru: 
* SLAP HONEY*

you should take photos of him being slapped and and charge him for it

Jul 01 05 04:01 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Mike Cummings: 
I like shooting B&W artistic.

no nudes, she says

Jul 01 05 04:02 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Carefull...this is a specific area in which usage fees come into play. You can license the images for a particular use for a specified time and retain copyright.

I feel that if I pay someone to make something for me, then it is mine. If you want to work out a deal where you lease it to me instead and I agree, we are good to go.

Mike

Jul 01 05 04:02 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

What is with the Blow guy? C'mon dont be mean love to Blow as you love to Doe...is not that much of a difference, but there...* SLAP HONEY* are all the Joes happy now?

*sighs* smile  I feel like that puppy in that guy's avatar *grin*

Jul 01 05 04:03 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Mike Cummings: 
I like shooting B&W artistic.

no nudes, she says

Hmmm. may have to expand my "style"

Mike

Jul 01 05 04:04 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

I feel that if I pay someone to make something for me, then it is mine. If you want to work out a deal where you lease it to me instead and I agree, we are good to go.

Mike

Commercial clients won't take you seriously if you charge a flat fee.

She is right in one respect. Photographers should be thinking about making money off of commercial clients with money rather than broke models...

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Mike

I am still so new I don't have a style yet. I like shooting B&W artistic. Where will you be in Florida? What kind of beer?

Mike

Where in Fl?? Uhmmm....good question...since I dont know America...I will be at the limit with Mississippi? I think...I wanna go see the ocean in Florida...do you know what I am talking about? Are you close to the W limit of the state? Beer....Becks of course, the best european beer ever!

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Pitaru: 
Are you close to the W limit of the state? Beer....Becks of course, the best european beer ever!

Our state is like a penis with water on both sides

Jul 01 05 04:06 am Link