Forums > Newbie Forum > How many prints per TFP session?

Photographer

Hexfyre Photography

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Before I posted this question, I searched TFP on this site.  Unfortunately, there seems to be a billion ads for photographers or models looking for TFP work, and I did not find a thread on my subject.

What is currently the standard?  Is it usually several prints per hour of the shoot?  Is it a copy of every shot taken?  Does the model get a CD and choose for herself / himself? 

I am learning the basics of Photoshop now, do all the photos need to be enhanced?

Please let me know what your experiences are when doing a photoshoot for TFP.

Cordially,

-Chet King-
Hexfyre Photography

Mar 25 06 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

Hey there, I usually download onto my laptop and show who Im working with and I give her the cd of what shots he/she wants or likes, and send after I make the CD, photoshop is another subject, some like it,  some don't,  But I always say, do what you feel best with......

Mac

Mar 25 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

This works for me:
shot the images
load into computer
delete obvious ones
go through with model viewing and "kill" or "no kill" remaining images
(I do this to get a feel for what she does and doesnt like - VERY insightful!)
burn untouched images to cd
let her get back with me and tell me her top 3 favorites in each outfit.
Polish those and provide additional cd.
IF TIME IS TIGHT:
instead of burning cd, will post to Internet site with secured viewing and let her go online to pick and choose.
hope this helps.

Mar 25 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

What they're describing is TFCD - the model gets a CD.

I do TFP sometimes - the model gets actual prints, but no CD (they're welcome to use the low resolution ones on my website for self promotion, but no high resolution or unedited shots). Usually it's four 8x10s for a 3 hour shoot.  I'll go to two if it's a short shoot.  I sign the backs just like the ones I sell.  That's in return for their time and signing my regular release that lets me sell the prints.

It's a nice way to do it for models who are more interested in the long run and less for short term cash.  It would cost them $275 to hire me to do their portrait and four prints, and it would cost them $100 to buy four 8x10s of another model.

From my perspective I have to edit the shots anyway to sell them, and I'm all set up to get prints from a professional lab, sign the backs, package 'em up and mail them out so it's just another order from that perspective.

Mar 26 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

5 per every 100 pics taken

Mar 26 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Gabes Photography

Copperas Cove, Texas, US

5 per 100? yeah I can see that.....sounds fair.

Mar 26 06 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

B Christopher

Washington, District of Columbia, US

In my case, I choose 2 to 4 images from the shoot, that I feel, are the best.  I limit 4 images, touched up, 300+ ppi, and never smaller than 8.5X11.

It is very tough to offer more images per shoot, due to the amount of post work involved.  Even with much preparation, an assistant, a MUA, a talented model in the studio--all images, out of camera, need hours(potencially) of work to produce a nice, professional, final product.

I give models the choice between CD and prints.  If they have specific print size specs, I'm willing to provide prints.  Often, the models prefer digital files, with which, they can freely, flexibly, have printed to their needs.

YMMV.

-Chris

Mar 27 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Christa Rivington

I give the model a cd of images, no prints.  If the model wants prints, they print themselves, most are happy with that.

Mar 27 06 02:13 am Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

WELL....as the only model to respond. I have always gotten all photo's shot. I do my own editing. I've also been around a long time, and worked with some of the greats. These days? I guess it's whatever is agreed upon.

Mar 27 06 02:17 am Link

Photographer

Witimagery

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I keep it flexible and ask what works best for the model; different folks have different needs.  As a baseline I'm happy to offer two polished 8x12 per look, regardless whether it's paid, TFP or CD because I'll want prints of the best shots too.  Many are happy with just the CD.  With my muse I'll often run off a batch of inkjets for her hubby. smile

Mar 27 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I give a CD of all final shots in various sizes and formats.  If they have a few that they really like I'll give them an 8x10 unmounted of those pics...up to four total.

Most just want the CD so they can print what/how they want.

Mar 27 06 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Cornell Arts

Los Angeles, California, US

I used to give the models all the shots on cd. But then I started seeing my photography popping up online after being butchered by the model (or a friend of the model) using Photoshop. So I no longer give the whole photo session to the model.

Now I sit with the model following each photo shoot and review the pics to get a sense of the ones they like and the ones I like. I don't normally limit the amount of pics I'll photoshop for them unless it gets ridiculous. If I'm going to process them for me I might as well let the model have them too.

As I process the pics I email JPEGS to the models. When I'm done with all the pics I burn the processed shots in both high resolution TIFFS (for prints) and 72 dpi JPEGS (for internet/computer use) onto a cd or DVD and send it to the model.

This usually works fairly well and I haven't had any complaints so far.

The models still might butcher what I give them but since I've already done most of the work they're less likely to.

Mar 27 06 02:59 am Link

Photographer

SimonL

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Remember that there are still photographers out here (I'm sure I'm not alone in this) that still shoot on film and print to Fibre papers. Thats an expensive way of doing things..

I usually offer my models between 6-10 prints at 10x8, depending on the results of the session. In addition, I scan the contacts for them, and create their chosen prints on a CD 'framed' and 'web ready' for use on sites like this one.

Laying down a specified number of prints from a session is an impossible task, as I don't know the results until the films are developed.

Also, if the model hasn't worked as hard as I would like, and the numbers of useable prints are down - why hand them a large number of prints that you may consider 'below standard'? This stuff is going to be exhibited on their ports with your name next to it, it's got to be good!

Quality over quantity any day.

Mar 27 06 03:11 am Link

Photographer

ImageStar Portraits

Jeffersonville, Indiana, US

I shoot around 1000 to 1500 photos on digital and burn off the images onto a DVD to be printed where the model wants.

Mar 27 06 03:46 am Link