Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Hair Styling classes or workshops

Makeup Artist

Claire V Coleman

Brooklyn, New York, US

Can anyone recommend some hair styling classes (no cut or color) on the East coast

I want to sharpen my "& hair" skills.

Nov 25 08 10:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Schwartz Jones

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Claire V Coleman wrote:
Can anyone recommend some hair styling classes (no cut or color) on the East coast

I have been searching for the same thing Claire. I found this one at MUD in NY, it's 3 weeks/120 hours. Still searching though, let me know if you find something great!

http://www.mud.edu/MUDNY2007-2008.pdf

Nov 25 08 11:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

__Allie__

Los Angeles, California, US

Melissa N. Jones wrote:
I have been searching for the same thing Claire. I found this one at MUD in NY, it's 3 weeks/120 hours. Still searching though, let me know if you find something great!

http://www.mud.edu/MUDNY2007-2008.pdf

I took the hair class at MUD in LA and loved it.  it covers all of the bases and its pretty great for all experience levels, either to learn basics or as a refresher.

Nov 25 08 11:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KathyAragon

My girl Melanie does hairstyling classes for makeup artists in our (DC) area. You can email her at [email protected] smile Tell her Kat sent you.

Nov 25 08 11:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Schwartz Jones

K M A wrote:
My girl Melanie does hairstyling classes for makeup artists in our (DC) area. You can email her at [email protected] smile Tell her Kat sent you.

YAY!!!! Your the bestest!

Nov 25 08 11:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KathyAragon

Melissa N. Jones wrote:

YAY!!!! Your the bestest!

No problem. And I just changed the email. I accidentally put her name when it was supposed to be [email protected] smile

Nov 25 08 11:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Schwartz Jones

K M A wrote:

No problem. And I just changed the email. I accidentally put her name when it was supposed to be [email protected] smile

Thank you:) I just shot her an email

your hair skills are pretty amazing these days btw, crankin out those editorials! Go girl!

Nov 25 08 11:29 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Lizz Jennings

Los Angeles, California, US

If you're looking for a weekend thing, Paul Mitchell does a 3 day long hair styling course. I used to assist the class and learned SO much from it. You should check it out!

Nov 26 08 12:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

Claire V Coleman

Brooklyn, New York, US

Thank you my DC ladies!   I will also email her. 

I actually took the MUD class in LA ... 6  years ago!  I want something a little more advanced I guess.

smile

Nov 26 08 04:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

KathyAragon

Mel does a one on one class where she structures it to what you already know, or don't know for that matter. She will sit there for 8 hours straight with you and give you a blast of info as well as hands on practice. She covers basic commercial hair to editorial hair. I took the class from her years ago and I learned the foundation of what I needed to be able to pull off more intricate hairstyles I do today.

Nov 26 08 05:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup By Shazia

Plano, Texas, US

is anyone know any hair stylist or hair style classes in Dallas Tx.
very appreciated.

Nov 26 08 10:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ms BSK

Brooklyn, New York, US

K M A wrote:
Mel does a one on one class where she structures it to what you already know, or don't know for that matter. She will sit there for 8 hours straight with you and give you a blast of info as well as hands on practice. She covers basic commercial hair to editorial hair. I took the class from her years ago and I learned the foundation of what I needed to be able to pull off more intricate hairstyles I do today.

Is she ever in NYC? I'd be interested in taking a class.

Nov 26 08 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Luis Aragon

Nov 26 08 10:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

KathyAragon

err sorry, wrong account!

Belinda Keatts wrote:
Is she ever in NYC? I'd be interested in taking a class.

Actually Yes she is! Her man has family up there that they visit a lot. Feel free to email her and ask when shes up there next. She is going to wonder why the heck everyone is contacting her at once. haha!

Nov 26 08 10:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Keisha Willis Beauty

Friendly, Maryland, US

Luis Aragon wrote:

I e-mailed her too for classes and in my e-mail warned her that she will be getting a flood of e-mails...lol  Tell her to give you a cut of the profits Kat..;-D

Thanks Kat, you're the best!!!

Nov 26 08 10:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

KathyAragon

lol I might as well just let her use the studio so she can make a workshop out of it.

Nov 26 08 11:03 am Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Schwartz Jones

K M A wrote:
lol I might as well just let her use the studio so she can make a workshop out of it.

Good idea!!!!

Nov 26 08 11:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

Claire V Coleman

Brooklyn, New York, US

K M A wrote:

OOOOH!!! DO it!!   :-D

Nov 26 08 11:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

Stephanie Flor

New York, New York, US

Miley Cyrus Hairstylist who did her music videos and her recent tour is going to be at Rouge Makeup Studio on Dec 8th. For 150 dollars hes going to be talking about EVERYTHING.

I had the pleasure to meet him and he told me about this class hes teaching and it was so great to see him so excited talking about what he was going to be sharing with all the students.

He said hes going to focus on techniques , industry, freelance kit and extensions.

I cant wait for this class we need something affordable and to the point. Im a big fan of all their classes.

Call them if you have questions:)

Rouge Makeup Studio. 1123 BROADWAY STE 1002. NEW YORK, New York 10010. United States (212) 226-7350 http://WWW.ROUGEMAKEUPSTUDIO.COM ...

Nov 26 08 04:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Vincent Ford

London, England, United Kingdom

Find local hair stylists that are willing to teach you.  You will get more one on one hands on.  Some schools teach salon and light hairstyling.  For editorial and photography it needs to be perfect clean styling with attention to detail.  If anyone is in the LA area I offer one on one hair lessons.

Nov 26 08 07:48 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Hey guys smile
This is a topic we tried to get more interest in earlier in the spring of this year when I was still on the right side of the country lol  What we finally came to was that with some planning we could do a workshop tailored to the needs of the attendees or if time and schedules permitted we could do a more advanced class in a smaller group for specific needs.  The group back then determined that there was so much they each wanted to learn but it varied so widely from basics to more advanced bridal type styles that there was no way for them to work it into one trip for me lol 
I'm always more than happy to do one on one or workshop classes when I come out but as much as I love to come home I can't afford to just fly over there right now to hang out without working or something while I'm there.
I'll try to look for the thread we had going about this before and revive it so that everyone who was involved back then can benefit from the new interest now smile
~angel~

EDIT*  here's a link to the thread I mentioned
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 243&page=1

Nov 27 08 08:37 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

bump smile

Dec 02 08 05:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Hi Angel - where are the classes/workshops going to be?  NYC?  At Cynthias?  curious...I was asking about workshops with KMA (Kat) in DC upcoming too.... would love to see what both of you offer - differently. 

smile

Hope you are doing great!
Lisa

Dec 02 08 06:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KathyAragon

I'm having lunch with Melanie today. She is finally back home from vacay. I'll let you know any details I get after the yummy sushi fest. :p

Dec 08 08 05:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

Stephanie May Artistry

Lewistown, Pennsylvania, US

Claire V Coleman wrote:

The Redken Exchange has some styling courses. They are very good. If you go to the site and then click on the site for professionals link it will take you there..

They also have a class on Editorial work.

Dec 08 08 05:55 am Link

Hair Stylist

Cassie Ray

New York, New York, US

Good news! I am an experienced hair designer working in the entertainment and beauty industries. I offer one on one training classes within NY, NJ, PA, DC areas. If you are interested feel free to contact me for rates.

Cassie Ray
Hair Designer

Dec 08 08 08:59 am Link

Hair Stylist

A J T

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm also available to teach session styling in NYC and occasionally the DC area. I know eventually myself, Liz Gerbino and Cynthia O'Rourke are planning on doing a skills trade session where we all get together and just go into photoshoot skills madness and start throwing knowledge at each other. Maybe it could become a regular thing with good people so that we can keep each other collectively up to snuff in current trends and techniques?

Dec 08 08 12:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MakeupbyTrish

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

I know this is an old thread but if anyone has some new information, please share.  My girlfriend  is already licensed cosmetologist and wants to take some more advance old hair styling classes and I remember my personal hairstylist used to get these mailings for workshops or training from some membership she was a part of but I can't remember.
So any information on classes, work shops or one on one, let me know so I can share the info.

Thanks

Sep 20 09 06:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Andrea Martini

SHOHOLA, Pennsylvania, US

I am also looking for someone to train with for basics and maybe even a bit more advanced hair-I do "light" styling now (I have done all the hair in my port), but I would love to learn more! In my area (Philly) would be great, but I can come to NYC for a day as well!

Sep 20 09 07:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KathyAragon

FYI, in case you are going to the Miami or Chicago Summit I noticed there are hair classes on the schedule for makeup artists. Yay!

Sep 20 09 07:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MakeupbyTrish

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

K M A wrote:
FYI, in case you are going to the Miami or Chicago Summit I noticed there are hair classes on the schedule for makeup artists. Yay!

do they normally hold these every year?

Sep 21 09 11:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

KathyAragon

I'm only a year late in fulfilling my promise but I finally got a good one for anyone still interested smile : http://elevateartists.com/

Dec 16 10 08:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Chelsea Dutchak

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If anyone knows of any in the Toronto area that would be great too! smile

Dec 16 10 08:55 pm Link

Hair Stylist

melanie medeiros

Woodbridge, Virginia, US

Hey its Melanie from the dc area just wanted to let everyone know that if your still inquiring about hairstyling classes email me at [email protected] instead of my old email address [email protected]

Thanks
look forward to hearing for you!
Melanie Medeiros

Feb 20 11 07:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jamie Choi

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

I am looking for a hair styling workshop in the LA Area.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mar 16 11 10:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jamie Choi

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

KathyAragon wrote:
I'm only a year late in fulfilling my promise but I finally got a good one for anyone still interested smile : http://elevateartists.com/

This class would have been perfect!  Do they offer any of these classes in the LA area?

Mar 16 11 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

ShadeTree Photos

Carlisle, Kentucky, US

Is there anything for northern kentucky, on tw'ards the border with ohio?

much obliged~!

Mar 16 11 10:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ms Samantha Marie

San Francisco, California, US

Might be a little TMI but IMO you can never have TMI... It does have cuts & theory in it, but also a lot of styles. Also if you understand a person's hair (cut/ texture etc) it can help you when it comes to styling. And practice! Get a mannequin head if you need..

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fv6Jz0aVL._SS500_.jpg

Mar 16 11 10:47 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Ok guys,

I see this thread's been revived from the dead lol  I do travel for workshops but if it's just a one on one thing it gets a bit pricey to go too far from here.

You are welcome to text, email or call me to discuss what you would want/need from a workshop.  I tailor mine to the artists in the group to maximize the time we get together to ensure everything you want to learn is covered and practiced.  Examples of previous workshops covered kit must have's, tool uses, product knowledge, 'how'd you do that?!', and of course loads of time to try things out and make sure you understand.  I've taught workshops for the most basic of skills to the most elaborate so you are welcome to ask me any questions you have about a workshop in your area smile

~angel~
RingMaster - T O C S S
hair stylist * makeup artist * wardrobe stylist
clothing designer * model coach * photographer
art & creative director
[email protected]

Mar 18 11 03:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SHDavies

London, England, United Kingdom

this sounds awesome and just what I need,
does anyone know of anything similar in London?
I've done a handful of hairstyling courses but nothing seems to be right sad

Mar 19 11 06:51 am Link