Forums > Model Colloquy > Wardrobe Matters..PLEASE HELP ME!!

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Hi Models, I was just wondering where do alot of you get your clothes from? Does anyone use a wardrobe stylist? I'm finding it rather expensive to keep going to the mall, buying clothes. PLEASE HELP!

Jul 01 05 10:43 am Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

I know what you mean. I've actually gotten some cool stuff from places like goodwill.

Also this site seems cool. Swapstyle.com I haven't gotten anything form there yet but I hope to soon.

Jul 01 05 10:57 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Leila: 
I know what you mean. I've actually gotten some cool stuff from places like goodwill.

No doubt.

Being dirt-poor helps you to be creative. As Damon Wayans said, "When I was growin' up, we was po'. We was so po', we couldn't afford the 'or' at the end of the word - we was po'!"

One difference between mainstream models and alternative models:

When you mention thrift stores, the alternative models look at you and say, "No duh. Been going to them for years."

The mainstream models have lightbulbs go on over their heads and say, "Heyyyyyy! Great idea! Why didn't I think of that?!"

Goodwill/Thrift Stores are a great resource for new outfits when your pocketbook can't afford much.

Jul 01 05 11:16 am Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Shayuma,

I had the same problem until recently. Since you have some realy good shots now, I would put together a print portfolio and go to a few boutiques in your area with them (that fit your style) and inquire about a TFP scenario. Quite a few of them will be happy to loan you clothes to model in if you give them some prints of you modeling the outfits and credit them in your portfolio. I made arrangements with a couple of boutiques that I (and my wallet) are quite happy with!

Jul 01 05 11:22 am Link

Model

jessicaclaire

Detroit, Alabama, US

I always shop at thrift stores, target, friends closets, 5-7-9, wet seal, forever 21... I never spend more than 20 on pants or 20 on a shirt.. I'm a cheap wad...

veester makes a good point about boutiques

you can also buy things, and keep the tags on and return it.

Jul 01 05 01:23 pm Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

I perfer to OWN my clothing.... it adds to my credits as a model that I have a large selection of clothing and props.

Ebay is great & ONline shops that have sales - I NEVER shop at the mall due to how insanely marketd up the prices are

Jul 01 05 01:28 pm Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

I prefer making my own clothing when I have the time. Cheaper and it actually fits me.

Jul 01 05 02:05 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Posted by Lady Atropos: 
I perfer to OWN my clothing.... it adds to my credits as a model that I have a large selection of clothing and props.

Ebay is great & ONline shops that have sales - I NEVER shop at the mall due to how insanely marketd up the prices are

I'm sure we would all love to own all the clothing, but when you're just starting out and don't have a budget like Giselle or Tyra, you just have to make do until that time comes! LOL wink

Not sure if you're interested in runway, but a lot of designers for shows will allow you to keep the clothes you model for them as well. I love when that happens! smile

Jul 01 05 02:41 pm Link

Model

MULIKA

London, England, United Kingdom

If there is no stylist on the job and you have no fashion design buddies nor friends in stores all you can do is buy the pieces you need, keep receipt, hope to heavens that you don't damage/spoil/trash item and take back on monday morning wink Obviously as you are shooting and not clubbing there is no excuse for strong perfumes or body creams, which will linger. Also, with shoes, a tip i learnt from a stylist i worked with once is to cover the sole with masking tape all over the base.

Finally, try not to buy items you really really like. I bought the black skirt in my avatar on saturday for a shoot, I was meant to take it back on monday. Needless to say, I refuse to, I love it and its money well spent and a great addition to my wardrobe over-all! lol

Good luck and start networking with teh creatives at shoots. The numbers that really come in handy in my phone book are the Mua, hairstylist and assistants that i meet.

Jul 01 05 02:50 pm Link

Model

MULIKA

oops, forgot the other avenue -

I went into a couple of small boutiques and had a word with the manager/owner. Well, they will let you take stuff that might be going off the floor. You put a deposit on it and you get your money back when you bring the items back. I would give you further contact but I amin London,Uk!

p.s just make sure you go in looking blinging. lol

Jul 01 05 02:53 pm Link

Model

Aurora Bellare

Newport News, Virginia, US

I mostly shop at thrift stores (found some unbelievable vintage jewelry there for CHEAP), or TJMAXX.  I refuse to pay stupid prices for clothes, like $50 for jeans, when I can get a pair that fit perfectly for $2 at a thrift store smile

Jul 01 05 02:55 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Ah... sweet, sweet self-styling.

Thrift store and TJ Maxx are great for buying pieces. Making friends with shop owners is great for borrowing pieces.

the buy and return thing is really frowned upon. I never do it.

Jul 01 05 03:03 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

I have an account on swapstyle too, but I haven't traded anything with anyone yet... I'm hopeful smile So far it's been people wanting to trade a coat or dress for a T shirt or a pair of socks - um, no.

There's another site too, rags or something like that.

Beware the buy and return - there's a company that tracks this information and may disallow it. Their clients include Ross, Express, and many others. It's like having bad credit. wink

Thrift stores remain the best buys, esp. if your whole team can go together.

Jul 01 05 03:59 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Often shopping is about the time of the year that you do it.  If it is just for your portfolio then waiting until August for summer wear and january and Febuary for Winter clothes. 

Some of the top stores do not have outlet system and will sell things so incredibly cheap.   New clothes at places like Barneys,  Bendels, Berdorf Goodmans,  etc,  can be so cheap.  Cheaper than thrift stores even,  Cheaper than those fake outlet stores.  You do not get the pick of the litter but at 80 to 95% off,  if you time it perfect.   You can fill your closet with great things.   

Also check with the designers themselves for many do not keep clothes past their seasons useage.  Also incredible prices.  I have a very unique flouresant green very light shit that glows in the dance clubs.  I have been offered many sexual favors for it. (should have bought more of them)   

I bought that from a designer friend for $3 and a large pile for under $5 dollers each.   Very unique things that I am almost assured noone else will have.  The great advantage of this direct contact is that you can use the images in your book and people will think it is still next seasons clothing for it is unrecognizable,  beautiful,  and funky in a good way.

Also do not be afraid to make your own clothing,  think of a design and have someone make it for you,  or adapt clothing to your needs.   

Think outside the box.

Jul 01 05 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

Posted by veester: 
Quite a few of them will be happy to loan you clothes to model in if you give them some prints of you modeling the outfits and credit them in your portfolio.

Avoid this one. If the boutique start using them commercially you are at best being ripped off, and could end up in a lot of trouble if you didn't get an agreement from everyone else in the shoot (and they shouldn't agree to it anyway).

Also the buy and return thing. Ethics apart, almost all consumer rights only give you the right to return goods if they are faulty or miss-sold. If they give you a refund just because you 'changed your mind' it is purely out of the goodness of their little hearts (no, really). They are not obliged to and if they refuse you get left out of pocket.

Oh, and perhaps a minor point, but if you are serious about shooting fashion, using clothes that are already in the stores means you are always out of date.

Jul 01 05 05:18 pm Link

Model

Jessika Rae

Akron, Ohio, US

Shayuma,

Hey sweetie, yes you should definitely check out places like the Goodwill, Thrift Store, Plato's Closet, Nice as New, Clothing Warehouse, places that you might not necessarily go.

Those places will suprise you.  But I'm not a newbee when it comes to the Goodwill or Thrift Store.  I generally always get my everyday clothing there.  I usually just wear a thrift store boys tees.  But I've found a lot of great oldie dresses, and skirts.  Even some shoes!

Also Shayuma keep track of sale days.  Like a few days ago I went to Payless cuz I'm very into my shoes.  They were having the best sales!  I got 5 shoes and 2 sandles for $36.00!  All the pairs of shoes were like $5.00 each!  These shoes are hot too.  High heels, stilettos, they have fancy looking jewels and such on them.

Hope that helps some Shayuma.  Bargain bargain bargain!! lol

Jul 01 05 05:38 pm Link

Model

KiraRhian

Orlando, Florida, US

Since I can sew I tend to make my clothes myself; however, I will go to a Thrift store to find clothes.  Many of times I end up altering what I buy to where it looks new.  I also keep a look out for sales and will often plan my shopping days around sales.

Jul 01 05 05:46 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Posted by piers: 

Posted by veester: 
Quite a few of them will be happy to loan you clothes to model in if you give them some prints of you modeling the outfits and credit them in your portfolio.

Avoid this one. If the boutique start using them commercially you are at best being ripped off, and could end up in a lot of trouble if you didn't get an agreement from everyone else in the shoot (and they shouldn't agree to it anyway).

Also the buy and return thing. Ethics apart, almost all consumer rights only give you the right to return goods if they are faulty or miss-sold. If they give you a refund just because you 'changed your mind' it is purely out of the goodness of their little hearts (no, really). They are not obliged to and if they refuse you get left out of pocket.

Oh, and perhaps a minor point, but if you are serious about shooting fashion, using clothes that are already in the stores means you are always out of date.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree about this being a rip off. It could very well be quite profitable for all involved if done correctly in terms of exposure and in future pay from the boutique itself, much like testing. I'm sure it could be abused, just like anything else could be..but if it ever came to the point of pics being used without permission that is what the courts are for.

Jul 01 05 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Have you looked for any local clothing designers in your area ? Most of the time if you have the right body type you can model some of there clothes and keep the clothes in return. I have seen this happen a few times.

Mike

That Look Photo
www.thatlookphoto.com

Jul 01 05 09:10 pm Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by piers: 

Posted by veester: 

Actually, in the U.S. it is standard practice to return merchandise. For most stores, as long as it is returned within 30 days with receipt, you can still get a full refund. Or, if you dont' have the receipt you can get a store credit.

Jul 01 05 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by MHana:   I have a very unique flouresant green very light shit that glows in the dance clubs.

You should see a doctor about that ASAP!

Posted by MHana:I have been offered many sexual favors for it. (should have bought more of them)   

A new flourescent green & glowing twist on an old fetish

Jul 02 05 04:58 am Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

Posted by MULIKA: 
If there is no stylist on the job and you have no fashion design buddies nor friends in stores all you can do is buy the pieces you need, keep receipt, hope to heavens that you don't damage/spoil/trash item and take back on monday morning wink Obviously as you are shooting and not clubbing there is no excuse for strong perfumes or body creams, which will linger. Also, with shoes, a tip i learnt from a stylist i worked with once is to cover the sole with masking tape all over the base.

That's really BAD advice:  buy, use carefully, and return.  I do agree that you can meet with a store manager/owner and present yourself professionally, offer them photos for their use, and see if they will allow you to use their clothing for a photo session.  And yes, you do have to go in looking professional.

Jul 02 05 07:49 am Link

Model

MULIKA

I gave up more than one avenue of possibly sourcing goods. As, I stated myself, this doesn't work for me as I end up keeping the merchandise purchased.

And to everyone that is slamming the return avenue, I have a friend, a stylist that works for a magazine and she is in oxford circus h&m twice a week borrowing from the floor. And yes, she takes it ALL back after use.

In an ideal situation everyone contributing would be fully informed of requirements and the demands required of them.

Lastly, I would like to re-iterate on my earlier point - the best way to get round all these 'particulars' is to network, network and network more. By building up a circle of creatives and making connections yourself to enable ready access to all that you might need.

Advice was sought on the subject matter and is being given. It is up to an individual how they choose to apply the information. Like the thread on my sty for example! I chose the best course for me. lol

Jul 02 05 08:17 am Link

Photographer

C00P

Anaheim, California, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 
Goodwill/Thrift Stores are a great resource for new outfits when your pocketbook can't afford much.

With Goodwill or Salvation army you only spend a few bucks. If it survives the shoot you can donate it again and get a slip for tax writeoff. If you're setup properly as a business, you can also deduct the original price as a business expense for the shoot.

Also good for props. For my pinups I have to do a lot of "creating" things ranging from props to wardrobe. Created from scratch at times, highly modified if I can find a base to work from when possible.

Jul 02 05 02:21 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Also, hit consignment shops. The stuff there is often of a better quality than the stuff in thrift stores. It's also a bit more expensive.

Hit thrift stores in wealthier areas. Rich people have good garbage.

And Mark's idea about shopping off season is good.

Jul 02 05 10:21 pm Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by theda: 
Also, hit consignment shops.
Hit thrift stores in wealthier areas. Rich people have good garbage.

Theda, what is a consignment shop?

Also, I totally agree about shopping the thrift stores in wealthier areas!!

Jul 02 05 10:36 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Consignment stores are resale shops.  They hare being outmoded by ebay, but they're still out there. People bring in their old stuff anf the shop owner resells it. The profit is split.

Jul 02 05 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Consignment can equal older stuff but high quality classic things never go that far out of style.

Jul 02 05 11:07 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Hey, if it's old enough, it's "retro."

Jul 02 05 11:18 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

rhondamcknight

AGUILA, Arizona, US

I AM A STYLIST AND I DO TEST...
I GET THE WARDROBE FOR MODELS....
LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE IN NEED
RHONDA

Jul 03 05 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by babydollallways: 
I AM A STYLIST AND I DO TEST...
I GET THE WARDROBE FOR MODELS....
LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE IN NEED
RHONDA

Not much skill in net etiquette?   Or is your shift key broken and you translated the topic as a search for stylists? 

Jul 03 05 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Star

Posted by Leila: 

No doubt.

Being dirt-poor helps you to be creative. As Damon Wayans said, "When I was growin' up, we was po'. We was so po', we couldn't afford the 'or' at the end of the word - we was po'!"

One difference between mainstream models and alternative models:

When you mention thrift stores, the alternative models look at you and say, "No duh. Been going to them for years."

The mainstream models have lightbulbs go on over their heads and say, "Heyyyyyy! Great idea! Why didn't I think of that?!"

In CA even Goodwill is too expensive. Most thrift stores in my area have higher prices than buying the stuff new, I know this since I have ssen things on sale at one store and gone to Goodwill and found the same piece more expensive.
Besides we live in CA, it is all about downtown LA. On Olympic and 9th I can get Indian clothing for under $10 a piece. Velvet scarves that are about 3ft by 3ft, $15, $25 for beaded. Knock offs, on sale, can be as low as $5. Even the expensive stuff, $50 suits are well worth it as they are $300 outfits. JUst my two cents...

Now does anyone know where I can get inexpensive corsets?

Jul 03 05 04:17 pm Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Star: 

Posted by Leila: 

No doubt.

www.ebay.com has some of the best items, esp corsets.

Jul 03 05 04:53 pm Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Shayuma: 

Posted by Star: 

Posted by Leila: 

No doubt.

www.ebay.com has some of the best items, esp corsets.

Jul 03 05 04:54 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Star: 

In CA even Goodwill is too expensive. Most thrift stores in my area have higher prices than buying the stuff new, I know this since I have ssen things on sale at one store and gone to Goodwill and found the same piece more expensive.
Besides we live in CA, it is all about downtown LA. On Olympic and 9th I can get Indian clothing for under $10 a piece. Velvet scarves that are about 3ft by 3ft, $15, $25 for beaded. Knock offs, on sale, can be as low as $5. Even the expensive stuff, $50 suits are well worth it as they are $300 outfits. JUst my two cents...

Corsetry is never inexpensive. There are less expensive corsets and less expensive places to get them, but never really inexpensive.

I went thrift store shopping in LA. I found plenty of cheasp stuff. Not much in the $2 range, but a lot of $5-$10 stuff. A friend of mine in southern LA county loved CHOC (children's hospital of orange county). Don;t know if she still does.

Jul 03 05 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Goodwill

Jul 04 05 02:03 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I've had really bad luck with thrift shops... too much crap, not enough time to go through EVERYTHING to find the one or two suitable pieces.

Making friends with designers or shop owners is key-- for example, the shoot I'm doing tomorrow is all with clothing on loan.  It's fun and it keeps you in something new every time you shoot, if you're lucky.  Just be careful or you'll end up having to buy things if you "break" 'em.

Jul 04 05 02:47 am Link

Model

_Blip_

Tampa, Florida, US

When I'm not designing my own clothing and costumes/accessories for my shoots, I'm usually shopping on eBay. I buy a ton of my stuff on eBay, including items I probably could not find anywhere else. All with the convenience of not having to leave my house... it's what I call "Windows shopping." ;-)   It is amazing the deals you can find on totally adorable stuff. As a fashion/costume consultant, I do this to help other models and photogs I work with to find just the right outfits for shoots, too. It's particularly useful on a small budget (such as mine).

One hint:  make sure that you go by the garment's measurements, NOT clothing 'size', as sizes can very greatly from one item to the next.  I've only bought a couple of things that didn't fit over the past few years... and they made great gifts after the fact. I have a pretty large wardrobe now, although I'm always getting sick of what's in my closet... and a good chunk of my newer stuff came from eBay! Nothing wrong with finding new things, right!?! ;-)

I would focus on looking for items for specific shoots that you're interested in doing, rather than just browsing through a ton of clothing that you might like. It's much easier to buy the things you need if you stay focused. Otherwise, eBay is like a giant candy store... and we know the damage THAT can do! lol.

Beyond that, there are a number of costume stores online, and specialty shops where you can find unique items. Worth checking out, again, as you need certain items for specific shoots.

My last suggestion would be to look into bartering/trade. Check out a few privately owned shops/boutiques and get a feel for whether the owner might be willing to do some trade (clothes for free advertising), as somoene else already suggested. There are also bartering groups you can join, or you can put an ad in your local Craig's list re: what you're looking to barter. This may not work for everything, but there are times when you need just the right item for a specific shoot... and that can be when a trade is just right - if you can find someone interested.

I hope this helps.

Andrea

Jul 04 05 03:21 am Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

A couple places that I've found that are pretty reasonably priced, and have good service are:

www.forplaycatalog.com
http://store.ave55.com/
and on eBay, the seller Marvelous Mall
(www.stores.ebay.com/marvelous-mall/

I've seen stockings on there for 2.49, Corsets for 10, and some other hott items for well under 20 dollers.  A fair amount of the outfits leave just a little to the imagination, but I've had some friends and models get some great things from there and have been very happy with them. 

Jul 04 05 11:10 am Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Ken Long: 
A couple places that I've found that are pretty reasonably priced, and have good service are:

www.forplaycatalog.com
http://store.ave55.com/
and on eBay, the seller Marvelous Mall
(www.stores.ebay.com/marvelous-mall/

I've seen stockings on there for 2.49, Corsets for 10, and some other hott items for well under 20 dollers.  A fair amount of the outfits leave just a little to the imagination, but I've had some friends and models get some great things from there and have been very happy with them.   

www.foreplay.com There stuff is so overpriced! And from what I've heard it takes them FOREVER to send you the merchandise.

The link to the ebay store was ok..but I've still seen cheaper. I am such a cheap skate lol. I am an ebay fanatic!!

Jul 04 05 01:01 pm Link