Forums > Model Colloquy > paying the models/photograpghers

Model

jeskav

Victorville, California, US

when would you say it is appropriate to pay either?

i do have rates and when photograpghers pay me i give them all of the pictures if we do tfp i exspect my images!!!
i have never paid a photograpgher the only reason i would want to is for some high resolution pictures when they provide wardrobe and make-up

Jul 03 05 04:36 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

When would you say it is appropriate to use the search funtion?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?p … ad_id=3757

Jul 03 05 05:07 am Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

Posted by jeskav: 

Models, and Photographers, deserve to be paid for their work every time they pose, or click the shutter. The nature of this pay, to either party, is always negotiable depending upon usage rights.

Nice work, by the way.

JT

Jul 03 05 11:22 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i am better then you..you hire me..
you are better then me, i hire you..
we both suck, we do TFP
we both rock, we colaborate on images..

Jul 03 05 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Kruse Images

ST JOHN, Mississippi, US

As a photographer I pay models to work on my projects, both parties must get viable results from the shoot. I do charge models to shoot content that is only for their use, comp cards, etc.

Jul 03 05 11:29 am Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
we both suck, we do TFP

Except I would have said:
I need you...I hire you
You need me...You hire me
We both need each other...We collaborate

Gotta agree with you Flashman.

Jul 03 05 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Andre Knudsen

REGO PARK, New York, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
we both suck, we do TFP

Right on the money Dough. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Jul 03 05 07:57 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

More frequently then it is approriate to post the same question in multiple forums, but not as frequently as it is to search for one of the other 12 or more recent threads on this tipic.

Jul 03 05 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Posted by theda: 
More frequently then it is approriate to post the same question in multiple forums, but not as frequently as it is to search for one of the other 12 or more recent threads on this tipic.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/gifs/mayhamserchgif.gif

Jul 03 05 09:07 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
we both suck, we do TFP

hahahaha I love the way you put it!  True indeed ; )

Jul 04 05 06:34 am Link

Model

sasharochelle

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Aloha all,

Well,
  I think if a photographer contacts a model for a shoot ,he should pay her. If a model contacts a photographer and she asked him if he would like to do a shoot, then they should discuss payment on both sides, or do a TFCD shoot...
sasha

Jul 09 05 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Dan Hood to the rescue once again!

Sasha,
You clearly don't take a goose and gander approach in the contact criteria.  Is it your thought that models are more important than photographers in seeking equity for their work?

Jul 09 05 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Andre Knudsen

REGO PARK, New York, US

Posted by sasharochelle: 
Aloha all,

Well,
  I think if a photographer contacts a model for a shoot ,he should pay her. If a model contacts a photographer and she asked him if he would like to do a shoot, then they should discuss payment on both sides, or do a TFCD shoot...
sasha

If a model contact a photographer there must be some value to the model to do so. And still the photographer has to pay? You're out of your mind.

Jul 09 05 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

lelina

New York, New York, US

I love that...yikes)))))))))))

Jul 09 05 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

It all depends who's bringing the money to the table.

If a model is bringing a sponsor or client to the table, then the model is getting compensation from said sponsor or client and should pay the photog for time. If a photog is just starting out and needs exposre and tearsheets, then the photog's payment may be in the form of exposure, industry contacts and/or limited rights to the photos.

If a photog has a client and is getting a model for a shoot for said client, then the photog should pay the model. In some cases, not all, when a model needs exposure and/or pictures, a photog can leverage his position of bringing a tearsheet situation to the table and have the model work for TFP or TFCD. In that case, the model's compensation, while not being monetary, is via the prints or digital images as barter type payment.

Ideally, both parties should be making some money because it is a PRO-fession on both sides of the glass. So, basically, let's just say that the consumer pays everytime they buy a Red Bull for $2.00, a penny goes towards the marketing of the product and filtered somewhere down the line, athletes, models and photogs get paid.

Jul 10 05 05:28 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Geez Dan, be funny more often. It would go awesomely great with the photography.

Posted by Dan Hood: 

Posted by theda: 

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/gifs/mayhamserchgif.gif

Jul 10 05 05:43 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Posted by Brian Kim:

If a photog has a client and is getting a model for a shoot for said client, then the photog should pay the model...

This always confuses me.  What benefit is there to the photographer to be the middle man?  Isn't it better to simply have the client pay the model directly?

Jul 10 05 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Gavin G

Richmond, Virginia, US

Posted by jeskav: 

i do have rates and when photograpghers pay me i give them all of the pictures if we do tfp i exspect my images!!!
i have never paid a photograpgher the only reason i would want to is for some high resolution pictures when they provide wardrobe and make-up

This model is one of the few who seem to get it.
If someone pays, they should "take all", or most.

The reason for paying is to obtain value that would be difficult to do otherwise, or in the required time you are willing to wait.

After all, time is money.

I would pay a model if she would be a once in a life time experience, or a chance to obtain images I could not other wise get, otherwise, I do not need to pay, as the every day model is usually paying me.

Jul 10 05 08:28 pm Link