Forums > Critique > opinions?

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

about 3/4 of the work I have up on MM is new (within the last 6 months)- I haven't really thrown it out there for crit yet, so I'm interested in getting some feedback. 

thanks!

Jul 03 05 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Looks like a bunch of bad snapshots.  The one of zero4marci in the last row could have been good if she hadn't been standing there like a tree.

Paul

Jul 04 05 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

BarryH

Taipei City, Taipei City, Taiwan

A little harsh.  I agree, there are some snapshot-ish ones, but definitely not all!  I especially think a couple of the b & w ones are quite good.

Jul 04 05 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

The first three are good.  I don't care for any of the rest of them.

Jul 04 05 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I would not say they look like bad snapshots...there are too many of those on this site that comment can be reserved for.

Your horizontal shots do have a snapshot feel to them. That could be a valid artistic area of exploration, but it might not be the type of work that people on this site will warm up to.

Who are you trying to appeal to?  What are your goals with your portfolio?

Maybe if you tell us where you want to go, someone can provide some constructive feedback...

Jul 04 05 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 
Looks like a bunch of bad snapshots.  The one of zero4marci in the last row could have been good if she hadn't been standing there like a tree.

Paul

jesus, that's nice... and really productive.  Thanks Paul.

Jul 05 05 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
I would not say they look like bad snapshots...there are too many of those on this site that comment can be reserved for.

Your horizontal shots do have a snapshot feel to them. That could be a valid artistic area of exploration, but it might not be the type of work that people on this site will warm up to.

Who are you trying to appeal to?  What are your goals with your portfolio?

Maybe if you tell us where you want to go, someone can provide some constructive feedback...

the horizontal shots are part of a series of non-traditional portraits that I've been working on for a few months- they're leading up to a larger narrative.

Some of the other images are from my editorial fashion portfolio (the "bad" snapshots for zero4marcy) and the rest are just general fine art...

Jul 05 05 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

The real lesson here from where i sit is that you should ALWAYS look at the work of the person critiquing you before taking it too much to heart.  I personally like what you're doing, though someone with a more "commercial" approach probably wouldn't  [I can be pretty diplomatic when I wanna be].

As for my opinion...as I said, I think you're chasing some interesting ideas.  The best images on your page feel like they are part of a larger story.  I absolutely love the second four images as well as the fine art tryptych.  The more fashion-based images don't all hit the mark emotionally, but the ones that do [the last one in row 4, the second in row 5] have a feel that mixes the commerical with the personal very well.    I do sense a "split" in your creative future when you may have to make a decision between fashion/commercial and portrait/editorial.   My only other advice is to keep shooting and let the best path reveal itself through the work you produce.

Jul 05 05 08:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Great comments Melvin.  I was just about to voice a similar opinion.
Justin, I emailed you.  The one shot that I don't feel fits your book is the avatar.  Maybe a different crop would work better?  I am not sure.  It looks more like forced portraiture.  I agree about the 2nd row of shots.  I love the snapshot feel of them.  I would look for them in Nylon.
Keep up the great work,
Tracey

Jul 05 05 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

thanks for the input guys (gals)

Jul 05 05 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Wow!  My "artistic eye" must be acting up again because "Juliana Scrapes Her Tongue" is my favorite in the entire portfolio.  Guess that just goes to show where my tastes lie.  (Did I just say that?) 

Seriously though...I think all of your new stuff is good...but hell...what do I know? 

Jul 06 05 08:33 pm Link