Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Power of Prayer & Belief In God/Higher Power......

Photographer

Drew Hendricks

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Gregory Garecki wrote:

We are getting really philosophical here. Somehow I feel that at the bottom of this is my fear of your values and your fear of my values.

Well you are right, openmindedness (or whatever I call it) is a value of high priority to me. Believing in what you want to believe (as I call it) is a high priority to you. They are equal. Mine is not better than yours. Yours is not better than mine.

Can you agree to that? Heck no you won't.

Your whole religion is about how you guys are right and everyone else is wrong. You are the ones with the Truth. You know the way. Why should I respect your point of view?

Actually i do agree with you. To me mine is higher to you your is higher. Neither of us will agree they are equal but we are equal in our viewpoints. Yes i believe i am right. Yes i believe that JESUS is the truth. I dont have it He does. So what is wrong with believing im right. You believe your right. Who ever said we had to respect each others beliefs.

Apr 07 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Hey, have a good weekend everyone. Those of you that are wrong too! I learned something from the discussion: don't have a close mind on close-mindedness. I have to think about that one.

Thanks everyone. Have kick-ass shoots or whatever.

Apr 07 06 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Drew Hendricks

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

To everyone please if you want to discuss further or want to actually hear what i believe without either person getting ryled. Then leave a message. I am always willing to discuss. Since i am in the middle of...well lets put it this way im in the holy land I may not get back to you as soon. I have to go on a mission tomorrow and it is late. Everyone be blessed and have a wonderful evening. Hope to hear from you soon.

Apr 07 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

ReallyRandy

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Study: Intercessory Prayer Has No Major Effect on Recovery
By Adelle M. Banks
Religion News Service
http://www.beliefnet.com/story/188/story_18848_1.html

Ha Ha! you superstitious dumbasses!

Apr 07 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Drew Hendricks

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

yeah because making fun of someone and a POLL done by the media holds so much water. You media pawn.

Apr 07 06 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Christus Militis wrote:
yeah because making fun of someone and a POLL done by the media holds so much water. You media pawn.

What poll?  Done by what media?

Apr 07 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Oh, I think prayer can help, whether it's by divine intercession or just by giving people confidence to better face adversity.  I also think prayer can be useless to those who offer it in the hopes that the cosmos has a magic wand to cure ills.

Here's a question: What makes God a "Him"? I mean, why is God necessarily male? We are determined to be male or female by chromosomes, hormone development, physical attributes, and so on. Does God (God the Father, for Trinity advocates) have DNA, or chromosomes, or hormones, or genitals? That's not really my impression of a spiritual Creator, but I'm open-minded about learning what exactly makes God male.

Here's another question: If open-mindedness is bad, and closed-mindedness is good, then isn't an atheist with a closed mind a good thing?  Wouldn't you want the mind to be open so that the atheist might "see the light" someday? Or is open-mindedness only evil for those who are right? And how does one on the outside tell the difference? If they're closed-minded and can't tell the difference, is that good?

Apr 07 06 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

This was an interesting and fun thread. I kind of hate to see it end.

Apr 10 06 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Christus Militis wrote:
why do you trust in science and math, the things that man uses to explain his own "reality," and not believe in God?

Because through reductionist materialism we can make sense of the world we live in. It may all be an illusion or unreal...but all of our senses are in mutual agreement of what it is we physically experience. The same hot pan to my nerve endings will be hot to yours. Science is the endeavor to find the things that are universal to everyone, if they bother to investigate them.

Belief in any deity or any metaphysical notion is entirely personal. The most fatal flaw anyone can have is to concoct a personal reality for themselves based on their intuition that will deny any input from another's. Your experiences in life...your motivations...your dreams...sure, they're all valid and serve a purpose. But they do so only for you. If we all lived this way, there would be no sharing of information. It's, at it's heart, a self-centric intellectualy hedonistic mindset. Ironic, since it's the very mentality that usually preaches of some Jungian universal 'energy' that we all tap into.

Apr 11 06 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Craig Seay Artistry wrote:
This was an interesting and fun thread. I kind of hate to see it end.

*innocently glances off to a corner*

What? big_smile

Apr 11 06 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

oh I'm sorry I thought I was on a PHOTOGRAPHER and MODEL website!!!!!

GET A F@$$%%%ing life!!!!!

Apr 11 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Michael Raveney wrote:
oh I'm sorry I thought I was on a PHOTOGRAPHER and MODEL website!!!!!

GET A F@$$%%%ing life!!!!!

Couldn't get a date tonight or do you simply enjoy the hypocrisy of walking into a japanese restaurant and bitching because you can't get some quesadillas?

Apr 11 06 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

And someone please refer me to an Irony Meter™ producer that has extended warranties. I keep running into folks on here that I've never seen before rushing up and breaking mine on me.

Apr 11 06 12:25 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

VividART wrote:
Some religions do prefer sensationalism to give their stories more God appeal.  If in the beginning God knew himself conceptually, knew his potential, but didn't know himself experientially, he may have longed to experience himself. The only way he could do that would be to create something out of, or from himself in order to experience God being God. Thus, he created the physical universe(s) as a way to experience God being God.

Through us, and all of creation, God now has a way to experience God. That would be why we have opposites in all of creation called light and dark, hot and cold, good and bad, love and hate etc. With opposites God/we have a point of reference from which to start our/his experience.
Makes it easier to love God doesn’t it? Sure, sometimes it feels "bad" but it's necessary to the experience of "good". Acceptance is the next step for us on this path of reason.
If we resist, we only give power to what we resist and the balance is tilted. Jesus said "turn the other cheek". That's pure wisdom. Just let things BE. Don't judge. It is what it is. God is not this or that. God just is, thus being-ness is experienced. These are only my thoughts on the matter. Search your own feelings smile

A man who thinks! An amazing mind experiment.

Interpretation: God being God wanted the experience of the physical.
We were created as surrogate beings.

Just accept the fact that we are surrogates and  accept the experience.

At least you do not judge the rest of us. You do not proclaim the infallibility of your beliefs.

But I commend you, because it takes considerable thought and meditation to compose a belief in the oneness of being.

Apr 11 06 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

Nihilus wrote:

Couldn't get a date tonight or do you simply enjoy the hypocrisy of walking into a japanese restaurant and bitching because you can't get some quesadillas?

words of wisdom straight out of....oh just to be clear, west virginia...or the other one? either one, ur cuz says hello!

Apr 11 06 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Michael Raveney wrote:
words of wisdom straight out of....oh just to be clear, west virginia...or the other one? either one, ur cuz says hello!

It's okay. You must be so scared. This place is all so confusing for you, isn't it? That's why you're lashing out. sad

It's okay. Just go here and everything will be better soon:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=40736

Apr 11 06 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

Nihilus wrote:

It's okay. You must be so scared. This place is all so confusing for you, isn't it? That's why you're lashing out. sad

WOW!! a self described guru to the underworld of MM, if only your imagery could help attain to your vast wisdom as well!!!

Apr 11 06 01:29 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Michael Raveney wrote:
WOW!! a self described guru to the underworld of MM, if only your imagery could help attain to your vast wisdom as well!!!

Aww...poking at the photographic prowess already? I'd have thought that would have been your last resort...

Oh...wait...

smile

Apr 11 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

Nihilus wrote:

Ok, no need for us to sqauble, I'm just bored!Wish you the best!!!! I just don't know why people talk crap on htis site whenall we want to do is work! GLI wish you the best!

M.

Apr 11 06 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Michael Raveney wrote:
Ok, no need for us to sqauble, I'm just bored!Wish you the best!!!! I just don't know why people talk crap on htis site whenall we want to do is work! GLI wish you the best!

M.

Fair enough. Happy shooting. smile

Apr 11 06 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

Nihilus wrote:

Fair enough. Happy shooting. smile

you know I will!

Apr 11 06 01:40 am Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

WG Rowland wrote:
I don't think you're going to offend any agnostics..  The problem is you're going to run up against another religion that doesn't know it's a religion: atheism.

I believe in god, I don't believe in god.. Neither of these are provable things.  Yet their advocates will beat each other to death over it.. *shrug*..

Agnostics reserve judgement.  As one, I merely admit there are many self-proclaimed correct paths and I don't know which one I should stand on.. If I get to the end of my days and meet a maker who asks why I didn't follow.  I will tell him/her/it/nothing the truth.. And if I don't rate forgiveness for not knowing..  So it goes.

As one myself I couldn't have said it better myself.  If there ever comes a time where I meet or don't meet whomever whereever whatever... I will die knowing I have nothing to fear but people who use fear and manipulation as a tactic to recruit for their religion.

Apr 11 06 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Spanish Eyes wrote:
After reading the "off" topic discussions about prayer/belief in God,  I had to say something...........I wont put down anybody who doesn't believe in God/Prayer because that is not right and everyone is entitled to believe what they want.........I would like to offer my view on all of this controversy if I may?.  Prayer is not like "fast food" and we canno't expect answers or results as fast as we would a Cheeseburger/fries......it's not meant to be quick fix to mankinds problems but rather a source of strength in times of sadness/trouble/joy. We should respect the fact that prayer is individual to people of all various religions and the results are specific to that person. Belief in God is based on faith and prayer (communication with that power) and due to my Native American/Christian upbringing I am fascinated with the realization that "we are not a mistake" and "we are here for a purpose" as deemed by our "Creator". Our paths may be different but in the end we all end at the same destination. Some people have a tough road while others seem to have it easy but life was not meant to be judged by what we have/lack but rather how we live and interact with people/nature/all of God's creatures. By using the power of faith(believing in what you cannot see but feel) and prayer(communication) we can reach a new level of wholeness with ourself (ZEN) and peace within our spectrum(World around us). Its no accident that we are here together and we all must find the truth to our lives and not judge God/Higher Power but rather respect the gifts that are given and work together to make this world a better place................Peace & God Bless Always..................

I

believe in Buddha. I'm just so amazed how judgemental Christians are.

Apr 11 06 03:04 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Self-indulgent posting here. Apologies in advance.

Never mind. It was entirely too self-indulgent.

Apr 11 06 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Tim Baker wrote:
I believe in Buddha. I'm just so amazed how judgemental Christians are.

I've seen western people take the insight of buddhism (usually the more prominent borrowed bits from zen buddhism or even taoism) and turn it to become their own "new" dogma. One fellow in particular was fixated on how the lack of physical scriptures by Siddhartha himself near nullified everything else (as a more judeo-christian believer would be a sciptural purist).

Many miss the point that buddhism isn't just a religious replacement where "buddha nature=jesus" and "enlightenment=heaven".

Apr 11 06 09:34 am Link