Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > New York.....

Model

safiraangel

Killeen, Texas, US

I'm just curious since there are alot of New Yorkers on here. How hard is it to find your way around in LaGuardia? I'm flying in tomorrow afternoon and I'll admit that I don't fly much so i'm already half-terrified. How bad is the airport? Thanks for any help.

Apr 10 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Watch out for the thugs, the brawlers, pickpockets, terrorists, DEA Enforcements, cabdrivers, gypsy cabs, drugdealers and gangmembers and you'll be fine!

When you booked the flight, didn't you have to do the study the floor plan and answer the 250 questions for the LaGuardia arrivals and behaviour exam?

I am stunned!!!

tongue

Apr 10 06 05:59 pm Link

Model

safiraangel

Killeen, Texas, US

Lol Udo you're making me feel so much more confident about this trip tongue

Apr 10 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

it is not that bad , I go through there a lot and there are many helpful people there , so don't be shy about asking questions. there are a lot of ways of getting into the city the cheapest way is by bus and Subway  for $2 . NY'ers are nice people  no matter what other people say.

Apr 10 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:
Watch out for the thugs, the brawlers, pickpockets, terrorists, DEA Enforcements, cabdrivers, gypsy cabs, drugdealers and gangmembers and you'll be fine!

When you booked the flight, didn't you have to do the study the floor plan and answer the 250 questions for the LaGuardia arrivals and behaviour exam?

I am stunned!!!

tongue

Udo , as a native NY'er it annoys me when people talk badly about my city -So good they named it Twice!

Apr 10 06 06:05 pm Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

i'll be in Ny tomorrow too for a clothing line promo..be careful chica

Apr 10 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

safiraangel wrote:
Lol Udo you're making me feel so much more confident about this trip tongue

You are welcome! wink

As Duncan said, it's really not that bad.

Cab to the city has a standard rate, from JFK it's I think $35, but LaGuardia is much closer to Manhattan and maybe less.

Don't know about the public bus situation and there is no subway to LGA and I think that the M60 may go to Manhattan, that would be $2, but one of the private Busservices may charge you like 10 bucks.

LGA is quite easy to navigate, cute little airport... big_smile

Apr 10 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Duncan wrote:

Udo , as a native NY'er it annoys me when people talk badly about my city -So good they named it Twice!

Hey, hey, hey... I didn't talk badly about our city... but with love in my voice... didn't 'ya hear it?

Oh, I live in the city since 1992, lived in Kew Gardens Hills, Rego Park and Astoria in Queens (all close to both airports), and lived in every boro, except the Bronx and Staten Island.

Apr 10 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

count your blessings that you're arriving at laguardia and not jfk. kennedy is about a half day's journey into the city but lag is right over the bridge. have fun, its a wonderful city, it's just really expensive when you're from out of town and haven't figured out yet how to get everything for less. if you're staying with friends or family it'll be great. hotels and eating out will drain your dough real fast.

Apr 10 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Garcia

New York, New York, US

Just be carefull when you go to pick up your bags, you may be approached by some guys offering you a limo ride, don't do it.
They may over charge you or worse. Those guys are not licensed to operate out of the airports.
Just go to the yellow taxi stand for your taxi.

Apr 10 06 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

safiraangel wrote:
I'm just curious since there are alot of New Yorkers on here. How hard is it to find your way around in LaGuardia? I'm flying in tomorrow afternoon and I'll admit that I don't fly much so i'm already half-terrified. How bad is the airport? Thanks for any help.

Well, put it this way, it's a whole lot better than JFK in terms of feel.

Apr 10 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

00siris wrote:

And allow more time than you might expect to actually get into the city.

Apr 10 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Garcia

New York, New York, US

00siris wrote:

Yeah but it's a lot easier to get to the City from JFK than it is from La Guardia (and cheaper too).

Apr 10 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Howard Garcia wrote:
Just be carefull when you go to pick up your bags, you may be approached by some guys offering you a limo ride, don't do it.
They may over charge you or worse. Those guys are not licensed to operate out of the airports.

Correct... and then there are the cabbies who will drive you for sex... by offering you TFP's... you know... Taxi For P#$$y... big_smile

Apr 10 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Garcia

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:
[Correct... and then there are the cabbies who will drive you for sex... by offering you TFP's... you know... Taxi For P#$$y... big_smile

LOL!!!

Apr 10 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

I'm a New Yorker and I hate LaGuardia.  The signage is bad.  You're on your own, basically.  It's as though they don't want to welcome you to New York.  I wish I had a more reassuring message for you.

Apr 10 06 07:21 pm Link

Model

safiraangel

Killeen, Texas, US

Wow thank you for all the responses. Luckily the hotel i'll be staying at has a shuttle service from the airport so i don"t have to worry about that part. Lol i feel like such a country bumpkin as i'm finishing everything up to go.

Apr 10 06 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

safiraangel wrote:
Wow thank you for all the responses. Luckily the hotel i'll be staying at has a shuttle service from the airport so i don"t have to worry about that part. Lol i feel like such a country bumpkin as i'm finishing everything up to go.

i just looked @ your port.
no worries, you'll fit right in around here ;-)

Apr 11 06 12:51 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Don't worry; it's easy.

https://www.panynj.gov/aviation/images/l-02map.gif

(click the image to go to the website.)

Apr 11 06 01:05 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

You will be mugged robbed and taken to the subway in chains.

You know when I left NY to live in Oklahoma I did not believe the crap  that I would hear about NY. . The fear that is taught in the OK/TX region about LA and NY are mind boggling.

You think I want to go to Vidor Texas?

Apr 11 06 01:11 am Link

Model

safiraangel

Killeen, Texas, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
You will be mugged robbed and taken to the subway in chains.

You know when I left NY to live in Oklahoma I did not believe the crap  that I would hear about NY. . The fear that is taught in the OK/TX region about LA and NY are mind boggling.

You think I want to go to Vidor Texas?

The funny thing is I'm not actually scared of being mugged or anything like that. I'm more scared of of getting lost and not getting where i need to be on time than anything else. I'm not used to traveling by myself so it's a little weird.

Apr 11 06 01:21 am Link

Model

safiraangel

Killeen, Texas, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Don't worry; it's easy.

That's awesome thank you for the link. i feel like an idiot because i didn't think to look it up.....smile

Apr 11 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

safiraangel wrote:

The funny thing is I'm not actually scared of being mugged or anything like that. I'm more scared of of getting lost and not getting where i need to be on time than anything else. I'm not used to traveling by myself so it's a little weird.

Just remember, that you will be paying four times as much for everything in NY.

And stop saying excuse me a like a good Texan, get the elbows up amd move folks out the way!

Apr 11 06 01:51 am Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

You mean how like at LAX (and yes I mean Los Angeles International... not a typo) we have guys with Uzis (error?) and big gang members with low riders and celebrities all over the place?  HAHAH!

I didn't get to experience LAG myself but did do JFK and found it no different than any of the other 20 airports I've flown into.  Personally I liked ATL just because of the sweet ladies with the Georgian accents :-)  My favorite?  The commuter terminal out of Carlsbad, California... why?  Because they still use those big sets of stairs to get on the planes... I feel so vintage getting on a prop plane to Phoenix from there!

Good luck!

Apr 11 06 03:03 am Link

Model

safiraangel

Killeen, Texas, US

Wooohoo i survived the airport and am now comfortable in my hotel. Not too bad a trip so far smile

Apr 11 06 04:33 pm Link