Forums > Photography Talk > Resizing for Printing

Photographer

Quentin Guillory

Houston, Texas, US

Hello gang,
Long time so talk, I have been away but back again to gain more information.  I am having a really big problem.  I have been shooting photos that i want to keep the composition exactly the way i shot it.  It looks fine on screen but when i print it i get heads chopped off, arms cut and sometimes my logo cut in half.  How can i stop this?  I need to know how to re-size and image for it to print correctly as an 8x10 without the image looking squashed or distorted... Oh God Please help anyone.....PLEASSE!!!!  Case #1 My avatar keeps cutting off the head...PLEASE!!!

Apr 14 06 01:07 am Link

Photographer

First Shot Studios

Rochester, New York, US

I'm a bit drunk right now (got dragged out on a thursday I know) , but, all you need to do is size te filea the righ ppi for the printer and instruct  to print with "no corrections" and you should get what you see on screen....

Patrick

Apr 14 06 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Quentin Guillory wrote:
How can i stop this?  I need to know how to re-size and image for it to print correctly as an 8x10 without the image looking squashed or distorted... Oh God Please help anyone.....PLEASSE!!!!  Case #1 My avatar keeps cutting off the head...PLEASE!!!

You can't.  The proportions of 8x10 are different than the proportions of the raw image (4/5 vs 4/6).  When you are composing you image in the camera you have to keep in mind the proportion that you want to print to and leave extra space where needed.  For an 8x10 in portrait orientation that means leaving a little extra space above and/or below.

Use the crop tool in photoshop and set it to the print size (i.e. 8x10) and leave the reslution field blank and it will constrain it to the proper proportions so you can find the best crop possible for your print.

Apr 14 06 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Quentin Guillory

Houston, Texas, US

thank Gary,
that helped..i will keep that in mind and it also gave me a good guide where to put my logo... and it not get cut off....Thanks anymore suggestions feel free...

Apr 14 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Or you can pad your image and print it in full, just with a border on the "height" edge.

Apr 14 06 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

the two suggestions are dead on. the third option is to print full size (as in 35mm perspective like 8x12 rather than 8x10), rather than sending to a printer who will NOT.

my lab will print any size you send.

Apr 14 06 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

As stated above, you need to have an understanding of the ratios that you want and then crop in Photoshop form the 2/3 ratio (that gives you 4x6 or 8x12 sizes) to the 4/5 ratio.

Possible work arounds are:

- Shoot in camera with enough room to crop later. I do this by establishing where the crop would be in my viewfinder with an 8x10 piece of paper and giving myself a reference point.  In both the Canon 20D and 5D is roughly just inside of the outer focusing points if you have the camera in landscape position.

- use the crop tool in ACR or Photoshop and crop the images for print size.

Apr 14 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Also..........If you have a page set up option, make sure it is set to the correct paper size and proper orientation(portrait/landscape)

Apr 14 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Nah.... Here's what I do, and of course it's the best way! Just kidding; but it works if you don't mind borders.

1. Using image>resize, resize your image to 9.75" on the long side. You'll get a weird dimension, but that's okay.

2. Using image>canvas size, Type in 8" x 10" and you'll have your image nicely centered on a perfect 8x10" canvas.

If you want your photo to completely fill the 8x10 format then obviously you'll need to crop it to those dimensions. Using the crop tool, type in 8 in x 10 in in the crop tool options bar, and crop away. You'll lose part of the image, so like people said previously you'll need to compose your images to allow for this.

I hope this helps.

-P-

Apr 14 06 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Quentin Guillory

Houston, Texas, US

Thanks everyone...I am trying all of these tip on garbage images that i will not use...So thanks to everyone who had input....

Apr 16 06 10:08 pm Link