Forums > Critique > OK, I want to see some SERIOUS models only!

Model

Alexa Nicole S

Harker Heights, Texas, US

I'd like to do non nude glam modeling, how do you think I'll do and I like your critque smile

Jun 21 10 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

San Francisco, California, US

Melody Quan wrote:
im interested

Hi Melody,
  looking at your images after reading your bio, I'm left wondering where all the experience in modeling you've had since 13 has gone to. The images I saw were no more than belonging to someone who just started or has been around a few months.  Which tells me the amount of dedication to your art is lacking.  If this is all you can do having been into this from the age of 13, than I would say you haven't learned much or try very hard to be different or artistic in your work. 
  The images I see, show that you are very mechanical in your posing and are only doing the same old tired boring poses as about 90 percent of the models here.  There's nothing there that stands out.  If you really want to be anything in life you should always strive to be different in what you do.  This only comes by hard work, and thinking out of the box. 
  Right now, I can't say much about your work other than I'm disappointed that you haven't done better.

Jun 27 10 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Winnie L wrote:
That would be much appreciated. Constructive feedback never hurts.

Hi Winnie,
  I didn't see a wildchild in there at all.  You're relying on looks too much and not at all on skills.   Honestly, all I see is someone who's with makeup that is just trying to be normal as if it's a family photo.  Don't you think being a model is more than just looking pretty?  I think you should invest a lot of time in posing and being expressive.  You have the same basic look in all your images...NO EXPRESSION!  I don't see much in the way of posing either.  So that's where you need to start:  Learning the basic skills.

Jun 27 10 04:36 pm Link

Model

E R I K A

Rusnė, Klaipėdos, Lithuania

here i am

Jun 27 10 04:37 pm Link

Model

Winnie L

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Image Designers wrote:

Hi Winnie,
  I didn't see a wildchild in there at all.  You're relying on looks too much and not at all on skills.   Honestly, all I see is someone who's with makeup that is just trying to be normal as if it's a family photo.  Don't you think being a model is more than just looking pretty?  I think you should invest a lot of time in posing and being expressive.  You have the same basic look in all your images...NO EXPRESSION!  I don't see much in the way of posing either.  So that's where you need to start:  Learning the basic skills.

Thanks for your time.

Jun 27 10 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

amycore wrote:
I feel like I've seen your avi before, so I apologize if I've already asked a critique from you and have forgotten. :[ But if you're still critiquing, I'd love to know what you think.

Hi Amycore,
  I have not critiqued you before. That being said, I think you being here since 2007, you haven't shown the work to stand out in the crowd.  I mean look at your pictures from the viewpoint of a 3rd party.  Do you see anything that really stands out?  I'd be surprised greatly if you said yes. 
  I'm not really sure what you're trying to do, if you're trying to do.  What genre are you targeting?  I just see no consistency in your work and I don't see anything that stands out. 
  What I think you should do, especially since you're only 17, is go back to the drawing board and rethink yourself.  Get rid of all you have in there and start a new image for yourself.  Forget all the abstract stuff in there, because you haven't mastered the mainline stuff.  The people who just go for abstract from the beginning are people who haven't learned to pose or express themselves properly as they should.  You can't go to point z if your point a and b aren't done yet.  What I gather from this is that you've just looked at what other models have done and just tried to do what they've done.  You can't do that, especially when you don't have the skills.  The poses and looks are very contrived and cause one just to leave your portfolio within 2 seconds of opening it. 
  Work on your basic skills and try to be different or else you'll never stand out.

Jun 27 10 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Liam G wrote:
Hi!
I'd really love some honest feedback.
Or even things i could improve on would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Hi Liam,
  I'm sorry to say there's nothing striking about your work that I see.  The only shot that I saw worth keeping is the second shot of the last row of the first page. The rest I'd get rid of and start anew. 
  For a guy, it's harder to stand out because you can't do all the different psoes that the females can do....if you did, you'd look really odd. 
  I'd say, to look at the ideal male model, look no further than tyson.  You get the feel for a really masculin male type there.  That's how you need to start, then when you've mastered that look, you can go into the more youthful and perhaps androngenous looks. 
You also need to do something with your hair style...you should start there, because I don't think it compliments your face much. 
Work in front of the mirror and try to imagine what a good look would be for you.  I might even say try to get one of those computer programs that changes your looks by your hair and clothing.  It's very important to have a distinguishing look to begin with.  This industry dosen't care much about ordinary. Even if you are extraordinary in life, but if you can't bring that to the front of the camera, you might as well be just normal.

Jun 27 10 05:00 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Stevenson

Alabaster, Alabama, US

id like a critique also pls. ive only just begun so an and all help would be very much appreciated if you have time

Jun 27 10 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Tomi Hawk

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Serious model? ok .. this is one I built awhile back .. and uhhh ...

https://www.onlinemodelcars.com/sites/pwaters/_files/Image//Diecast%20Models/57chev_jpg_edited.jpg

Ooooo .. you meant .. errr .. oops ...  tongue

Jun 27 10 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Näomii wrote:
what about me ?

Hi Naomii,
  For being 17 you have some nice work.  First of all you're naturally gifted in front of the camera.  You have the angularity and dimention to have fashion qualities.  I take it you're 5-6 since you show 167 cm in height.  Unfortunately your height is not quite there for high fashion, but you may be able to work with agencies such as Wilhelmina which are open to girls who are not the standard 5-9 types. 
  Work on your skills and keep thinking out of hte box as I see you do in your images.  You're certainly the type that stands out.

Jun 27 10 05:10 pm Link

Model

Lia Viera

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Do me please!

Photographer

Image Designers

Tomi Hawk wrote:
Serious model? ok .. this is one I built awhile back .. and uhhh ...

https://www.onlinemodelcars.com/sites/pwaters/_files/Image//Diecast%20Models/57chev_jpg_edited.jpg

Ooooo .. you meant .. errr .. oops ...  tongue

Very nice curves and well posed smile

Model

Lia Viera

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Oh can you send it to me as a message please and thank you

Jun 27 10 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

0 to 60 Photos wrote:
Yes please.  new to this and need some guidance.

Thank you in advance!

Hi,
  first of all this is really targeting models and not photographers.  Second, as I indicated at the beginning, even if you were a model, I don't say anything about an all nude portfolio, which is what you have.  The work itself is really no different than about most of the nude photographers here.  Not much imagination...just a bunch nude girls.  Sorry that's all I can tell you.

Jun 27 10 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

LindaC wrote:
hmm...am I considered serious?

edit: just some notes for me to remember, you're now on my page! just a few more to go, still patiently waiting! your last post was page 59, june 12

Not really. Sorry, but I don't see anything worth keeping in there.  I ask myself why is everyone doing the same old thing?  Is imagination that far removed from people?  I'm just seeing the same cookie cutter images from page to page.  It's as if people are really trying to belong instead of separate from groups.  Right now, you're only providing a face and a figure to a start up photographer to work with.  There's not much that you're bringing into the shoot.  Sorry to be so critical, but I think you have the nice looks but haven't really paid attention to what's happening in the modeling world, just like the many I see here.  I dont' want to lead you on thinking that you're doing great, because you're not.  If I was working with you, I'd probably be really tough on you to come out of your shell.
  To be fair, you have a couple of view worthy shots. The last one on the first row and the first on the second row are ok.  But start working on showing better poses and expressions. Watch how your neck looks...like the the 3rd one on the second row.  You should make sure it looks as long as possible and don't slump in images.  If you're too comfortable in your posing it will not look good...only ones where you're uncomfortable will look ok.

Jun 27 10 05:26 pm Link

Model

muji eren

New York, New York, US

This seems different. would love to get your ideas. thank you smile

Jun 27 10 08:51 pm Link

Model

Stevie Lynn C

Tampa, Florida, US

I'm a serious model...I think wink

Jun 27 10 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Jessica Leigh D wrote:
I would love your opinion if you are still giving it smile i would also love some advice on which direction to go!

Hi Jessica,
   I'm glad that you're here to get opinions and advice.  Reading your bio also seems to indicate that you're fairly humble, which is a good thing if you want people helping you.

First of all, make sure that the photographer, if he's photographing you full length either shoots below or at your waist level.  Shooting from above distorts the image as the last one on the second row shows.  I'd remove that one for sure.
  Second, your images seem to be just a bit better than family images.  If you want to be a model, you have to look like one.  You need to do something with your hair each time or wear lots of different wigs. Also, please don't let your hair look flat like the b/w on the bottom.
  Third, you seem like the girl next door type.  If you want success, you need to inch over to the edge a lot more.  This will take some work as it's not a natural thing for someone like you, unless you're trying hard to contain it.  I don't mean go off the edge or get nude, but just look a little louder than you are with attitude in your expression and posing. 
  Fourth, you need better wardrobe for modeling to go along with your new found edginess. 
  Fifth, don't do as the other models here...practice to come up with new expressions and posses that suite you the best.

Romel Evans

Jun 27 10 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Daisy Jenna Franklin wrote:
Hello (: me please?! (: ive modeled as a hobby for awhile and only recently have i been doing it for pay etc. getting more serious. I have a shoot coming up where i'll be going up against 10 different models for the job, and want some serious feed back on my port. Anything helps!! Thanks so much!! (:

Daisy
xxpeacexx

Hi Daisy,
  I'm really sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but as you can see I have my hands full.  For every critique I get a new 5-10 more requests.  Anyway, the good news is that I think you have excellent qualities to be a hopeful on America's Next Top Model, and when they do actually have a season for the shorter models, you should definitely attend.

I see you have the x-factor missing from many.  I think you take good beauty pictures and you're very expressive.

My advice is for you to keep working on making your portfolio unique...and I know you have the potential for that.  Your eyes should convey your feelings (or pretended feelings), and your poses should compliment your expressions.

I'm interested to see how you progress, so if you want to please let me know when you get new work on here.

Jun 27 10 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Faytal wrote:
Think I got skipped ??

Look above your request.  I already critiqued you on page 56.

Jun 27 10 09:52 pm Link

Model

DJ zEke

Los Angeles, California, US

Image Designers wrote:
Show me your port and I'll let you know honestly and constructively(without being rude) what I think you need to be more marketable.   Please NO FETISH / NUDE ONLY models.

* Also, it would be nice if you leave me a tag on the        *
* profile saying something about yourself and let me      *
* know That you left a critque request.                                 *
* Thanks                                                                                      *

I would love to be critiqued

Jun 27 10 09:55 pm Link

Model

Dane Halo

Wow - this thread has gone on for a looong time.  Kudos to you for keeping it up!

I would love to get a real critique.  Throw whatever you got at me.  I can handle it.  wink

Jun 27 10 10:11 pm Link

Model

Lisa Lee Marie

Whittier, California, US

Id love to hear your thoughts....smile

Jun 27 10 10:17 pm Link

Model

Näomii

Herk-de-Stad, Limburg, Belgium

Image Designers wrote:

Hi Naomii,
  For being 17 you have some nice work.  First of all you're naturally gifted in front of the camera.  You have the angularity and dimention to have fashion qualities.  I take it you're 5-6 since you show 167 cm in height.  Unfortunately your height is not quite there for high fashion, but you may be able to work with agencies such as Wilhelmina which are open to girls who are not the standard 5-9 types. 
  Work on your skills and keep thinking out of hte box as I see you do in your images.  You're certainly the type that stands out.

Thank you!
But i'm not 167cm in height , but i'm 172cm in height, but the truth is that i'm from Belgium and i don't really know how to translate the sizes in English.
So in think i've made a mistake!

Jun 28 10 02:40 am Link

Model

Dina Ova

Arlington, Virginia, US

ok

Jun 28 10 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Näomii wrote:

Thank you!
But i'm not 167cm in height , but i'm 172cm in height, but the truth is that i'm from Belgium and i don't really know how to translate the sizes in English.
So in think i've made a mistake!

To calculate this properly, you need to divide the cm / 2.5.  there are 2.5 cm per 1 inch.  The value that you derive is then divided by 12 (12 inches per foot).  In your case it comes to 5.733.  so that means you are 5 foot + .733 of a foot.  Multiplying .733 x 12 = 8.7 (almost 9)  so you're 5-9 approximately and that is perfect for high fashion.  So forget what I said about you not being tall enough, because you are. smile  I wish you the best.

Jun 28 10 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Matthew McSwords wrote:
Wow! You are writing ALOT for critiques..go you! My hands would be hurting! haha! But, go for it..critique me! smile

Hi Matthew,
   Honestly, you seem to have good features, but you certainly need to get a better portfolio.  It's tougher for guys to get the jobs, so try and improve your portfolio so it shows something other than a lot of casual headshots.  You need to make each image count.  Don't put it in there unless you know it's going to have an impact.  And then only leave it there if you see a lot of attention on it.
Try not to be too casual in your posing and expressiveness.  There's no room for that...you have to be very serious about each one image...because it's the weekest one that brings down all the others to it's level.

Jun 28 10 04:07 pm Link

Model

LaTosha Monique

Dix Hills, New York, US

Even though I'm new iand my portfolio is somewhat scarce (if not nonexistent) I would love to hear how I can improve. smile and also if you think photographers would be willing to work with me. I'm looking to go as far as I can with modeling.

Jun 28 10 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Alycia Gallagher wrote:
Please and thank you smile

Hi Alycia,
   You have some nice work.  I do think you can improve on them.  For one thing, in your tear sheets, you seem a bit too demure.   Especially when you're in a crowd, try to put yourself as the main attraction and don't fade back into the background.
  You also need to be more expressive.  I know that you have that multi-image one with a lot of expression, but I don't mean just funny expressions.  I think you should be more seductive with your eyes.  Right now they kind of look blank and dead.  Try to focus on something when being photographed.  As I'm sure you've heard before, fashion expressions all start with the eyes.
  Make sure you show a variety of moods through your eyes, and compliment them with great poses. 
Another area to look into is to work with different photographers.  Your images look kind of washed up.  This is common with blonds having fair skin.  It really is important that the level of contrast is lower and more detail becomes apparent.  Otherwise, the images don't provoke interest.

Jun 28 10 04:27 pm Link

Model

LaTosha Monique

Dix Hills, New York, US

What about me?

Jun 28 10 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

LaTosha King wrote:
What about me?

Must wait on the others in line LaTasha, it's only polite smile

Jun 28 10 09:53 pm Link

Model

LIDALICIOUS

Mission Viejo, California, US

SURE WHY NOT? CRITISISM MUCH LOL...

Jun 28 10 09:55 pm Link

Model

Lily Avengale

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'll Jump in!
Only if you got the time-This thread is massive!

Jun 28 10 10:07 pm Link

Model

Belle du Jour

I woul love for you to. Keep in mind I am very, very new at this

Jun 28 10 10:21 pm Link

Model

Annabella Kathryn

Brooklyn, New York, US

sounds good smile would be GREAT if you could message me with the feedback!

Jun 28 10 10:36 pm Link

Model

Brittney Jean

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Hello, try me smile

Jun 29 10 09:26 am Link

Model

PeterNicholas

London, England, United Kingdom

go for it, tell me!! big_smile

Jun 29 10 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Casey_Calypso  wrote:
me next smile Thanks!

Hi Casey,
        I think one of the things you should work on is becoming more expressive in your work.  Much of what I saw had this deadpan look from you.  No expressiveness in the eyes.  Just kind of a blank look to one side or the other.  if you want to stand out in the crowd (about 400K female models) you'll have to do more than just that.

You are pretty and have a nice figure, but you need to do much more than that to actually make an impact.

I'd also do more with the hair...I think you should be a bit edgy and just have it all work out with more expressiveness in the face and your poses.

I would also say that until you can kind of separate yourself from the crowd, I wouldn't say that I only do limitted TF*...because you're basically saying you want to be paid.  This will limit your experience...so always  be open to TF, no matter what....at least until you're viewed as exceptional.

Jul 01 10 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Alice Donoghue wrote:
I would love, love, love a critique! Thanks so much.

Hi Alice,
   I think, as you said, you have a very nice look for the fashion genre.  I do think though you can make great improvements just by being more expressive using your eyes and have the expression go along with the pose more.

What I do like is you being angular in your posing...gives you that editorial look.  One thing I see you should watch is that since you're so thin, you should be carefull about the angles and the direction of the light...you don't want to look too boney...should look as smooth as possible.

Also, with your eyes, try to focus on something, wether it's close or far...or imaginary as far as that...it's important for them not to look lost or have the far away look.

Jul 01 10 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Alexis Burton wrote:
hienvy

Hi Alexis...from your profile I'm nto sure what you're trying to achieve.  Are you here just for the ride?  I mean what will the Grace Jones look give you?  It just seems like a lot of pretension to me.  Are you planning to make money modeling? 
Also, the poses and looks are very generic.  I don't see anything there that stands out.

Look around and see how about 400,000 other models here are posing and expressing themself...try to differntiate yourself from everyone else...not be another clone.

Jul 01 10 07:15 pm Link