Forums > Model Colloquy > Modeling scam from seattle.craigslist

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I was an invited photographer to a fashion show at Club Medusa in Seattle on Sunday, July 3, 2005 for Cockteaseclothing and the models kicked ass, but the model were not paid.

I have the contact information of the main model and would like to know what she needs to do to get the wages they were promised.

Here is the ad from CL.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tfr/81634770.html

The promoter has turned off his cell and there is no way to contact him, the club is not responsible since it only rented the space to the promoter.

You may contact me off list for any additional information or assistance you may have,

Thank you MM and group,

Craig Thomson

Jul 07 05 03:10 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

OMG, I submitted to be in that show, now I am glad I didn't participate in it! That sucks! One more reason why it is good to get paid for these types of shows immediately afterwards!
sad Wasn't the promised pay for this show $100 an hour? Ouch!

Jul 07 05 03:53 pm Link

Model

lewkimi

Redmond, Oregon, US

I was one of the models there and yes it does suck!!  We asked Marek who supposively who works with Surreal Production about our compensation.  He told one of the gals that he was under the impression that we knew we were not getting paid. Also there was a lady involved too by the name of Car. Please be aware of these scam artist in Seattle.  If any one has suggestions on how me and the other models can get compensated for our work please contact me via e-mail.  I have already contacted the Attorney Generals Office and the Department of Labor. I hope this works because this is BS>
KL

Jul 07 05 05:28 pm Link

Model

Ana da Silva

New York, New York, US

That is so horrible!

I've been through this non-paid bs before with a different sort of job and all I was told was that I could file with a small claims court but that even if I won the judge could not make the person pay me.

Maybe the best thing you can do for now is spread the word about these sleezy people so that others won't fall for it too.

Post it on Craigslist!!!!!

smile

Jul 07 05 06:37 pm Link

Model

Hayley Mahaney

Toronto, Iowa, US

Craig's list is horrible for these things. There are also full sets of Suicide Girls' photos on that site. Which is quite illegal.

Jul 07 05 08:23 pm Link

Model

lewkimi

Redmond, Oregon, US

So I fianlly got a hold of Marek he said my friends Becca, Aleks and me were the only one's who did not know we were not getting paid.  I smell BS, but he also said that only high fashion models get the $100. compensation. But I'am going to take it as a lesson learned.  I don't want to talk shit anymore because they migfht actually be good people, you never know.  Also, I do want to credit all the photographers they were great;  Seaspot.com, J. Daniel Dusek, & of course my guys Craig Thomson and Marcus Shekell ( i dont remember how to spell his last name but its one my credits:))

Jul 07 05 08:24 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

That is total BS, because from the ad that I saw, there was NOTHING in it that said ONLY high fashion models got paid. This guy/group is trying to find suckers, and I think the girls who were in the show should do all you can to get your compensation. You did the job, you should get what was offered. There has to be something you can do to get what you deserve out of this.

Jul 07 05 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Kimi, going forward, if you don't sign a release or any papers prior to the event, be weary.

I'm not giving them any copies of the photos I have, I've got your back on this one.

Craig

Jul 07 05 11:13 pm Link

Model

lewkimi

Redmond, Oregon, US

So, I just talk to Cocktease Clothing and they were very supportive.  They were the fashion designers for the show at Medusa's.  Everyone check them out on cockteaseclothing.com, very sexy outfits!!!! & there prices are reasonable. I guess they don't have anything to do with the promotors.  But Marek, the promotor who stiffed us says "he barely made budget" but if you go onto seaspot.com and look under pix for the 3rd of july you'll see they did make budget and more b/c they charged $15.00 at the door!! regular price is'nt that much.   KL

Jul 08 05 03:19 pm Link

Model

lewkimi

Redmond, Oregon, US

Jul 08 05 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

"Barely made budget" or "didn't make cost" is a lame excuse I've heard way too many times. Mostly from club promoters for their events as reasons why they can't pay their models. I have never been stiffed by a promoter, but for the most part that's because I have a reputation of grinding a person to dust if they try to screw me.

I once had an auto detail company try to renegotiate my rates after I had shot. We were at one of the labs I work with reviewing the 4x5's. I refused and proceeded to snip each slide. I had not been paid anything, so for that shoot, I ended up in the hole about $600 for film developing and the day rate for my assistant.

If this guy didn't make money, it's not your concern. His obligation was to pay the models. Period. Whether that caused him to lose money on his gig or not is immaterial.

Anger is a gift, don't waste it.

Jul 08 05 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Ana da Silva: 
Maybe the best thing you can do for now is spread the word about these sleezy people so that others won't fall for it too.

Post it on Craigslist!!!!!

Posted by haaay:
Craig's list is horrible for these things. There are also full sets of Suicide Girls' photos on that site. Which is quite illegal.

Craigslist is mostly moderated by the system users.  Messages are removed via 'flagging'.  It's relatively rare that a CL staff member will remove a message.

The negative aspect of the 'flagging' system is that it takes many people to flag an ad for removal... and usually the offender will return with another ad in it's place, so the flagging process becomes a never ending battle.

Similarly, CL doesn't allow 'editorials' (announcements, discussion...etc) on the message boards, and usually messages warning others of a particular scammer are pulled from CL by the staff (if others don't flag it first).

CL does allow discussions and scam warnings on the Bulletin board of the system, but very few people use that part of the system.

If a scammer becomes a major problem, the CL staff WILL take appropriate measures to eliminate the problem.  I know of a certain scammer that was not only banned by CL, but the staff got a court order prohibiting the person from using their resources, and the name(s) of the individual and company were entered in a 'censor' list so that if a message was written containing one of the prohibited words, the message would never be displayed on the CL system.

Unfortunately, as much as CL tries to enforce the action, the scammers always find an easy way to get around the system.

Jul 08 05 03:58 pm Link