Forums > Critique > I'd appreciate some comments on my work- S. FL photographer

Photographer

Lago 7

Chicago, Illinois, US

I know the looks are pretty similar on the images I've uploaded - mostly head shots - and I've posted no studio shots, but...please critique and give me your thoughts on how to improve. 

One thing I intend to do is add shots with different angles, slants and a variety of different looks from models.

Thanks.
Tom

Jul 07 05 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Siu

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Try to capture more character, some of the poses don't seem natural; even a little forced.  As someone commented to me try using a reflector to get catchlights in there eyes.

Jul 07 05 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Lago 7

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thanks Michael.  I appreciate your input and will incorporate those ideas.  First order, I need an assistant (or a reflector holder).   I like shots where the model's personality comes through - gotta make sure I get that.

T

Jul 08 05 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Rich Dunoff

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Thanks for your comments on my photos. 

I think you need to spend more time developing some kind of personal relationship with your models.  They are not totally comfortable with you shooting them. 

I try to spend a few minutes before shooting to get to know them better.  I try to get them talking about themselves and then through most of the shoot we are having friendly discussions.  Depending on how it is going with a model sometime the talks can get pretty heavy.  When I am working with them I am totally focused on them.  I try to watch them for their natural expressions  not ones that are forced for the camera.  I also shoot a ton of pictures and edit heavily.  I will often shoot something just to keep the flow of the shoot moving even if I hate what I am seeing. 

Not long ago I was shooting a woman who was very tight and would not talk about herself.  The photos were really stiff, finally I challenged her directly and asked why she was being to closed.  She then started telling me a little about herself and the images I started getting were really wonderful.  Everyone is different and it is your job to break down their defenses and capture the image that best portrays them. 

Frequently when people look at these types of images their criticisms are totally technical, too much light, not enough light, your back light is to strong your hairlight is too low. To me the question should be about the image, the technique should not even come into question, if it does then the image failed.  I look to see if the model looks comfortable, would I like to know the person in the picture.  I want my images to be believable and I want anyone looking at them to want to know that person.

Technique does enhance the image but it should not be the first thing one sees. 

I personally try to stay away from formula lighting, I light for each face and spend time looking and making sure the light looks good before I start shooting.  During the lighting phase is when I try to get to know a little about them.  Initially the talk is more like an interview, I ask questions they give answers, I try to get them talking about themselves.  Usually the start is pretty basic, where did they grow up, are they in shcool, where do they go, what do they do when they aren't trying to be a model.  It is all pretty basic stuff.

Good luck.

Rich

Jul 08 05 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Lago 7

Chicago, Illinois, US

Rich,
First of all, thanks for taking the time to provide such an insightful critique.  Those are all excellent points.  I'm aware of the first rule - to get the model comfortable and relaxed - to be herself, and even thought I had achieved this with the models - but evidently I didn't - or at least not on those shots.  I can tell you that my focus initially was to get that sense of comfort instilled - but then perhaps I became more concerned with the technical things as you pointed out, and my focus changed. 

I'll be sure to keep this in mind throughout.  Great point on applying the lighting to the individual model and what looks best for them.  Also about using that time to enhance the relationship and comfort.

I appreciate your excellent advice. 

Thanks again.
Tom

Jul 08 05 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

The one thing I saw lacking and the hardest to overcome is gaining a sense of purpose for the image.  To better understand that statement, one must have a grasp of what it is models do and how images are viewed.

At the very least, a model image, beyond a standard headshot, gives viewers a sense of belonging with the image, as in relating to what they are seeing by creating a mental call to action.  For some models that comes naturally, others it might require some direction.

In the most simple form that means an awareness of how people view images.  Women tend to think, "I want to be like her" whereas Men tend to think, "I want to do her."

Strive in your direction for hitting both nerves and models will beat a path to your door...

Jul 08 05 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Lago 7

Chicago, Illinois, US

Richard(?),
Brother, you have very effectively conveyed your message.  There are so many things to consider and adjust, both technical and human, that we perhaps don't drill down to what is in essence the purpose of the shot.  You said it so well.

Many thanks for sharing what typically only comes with much experience or, for some people, a very keen sense and understanding of human nature.

Enjoyed your shots.

Jul 08 05 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

eh, when working with a newer model, it seems like photography can be the art of distraction. How to move a model into the poses you want to see, but still make her feel at ease and natural, while doing inherently unnatural poses. I joke, babble, schmooze, whatever and try to keep the conversation flowing while slipping in instructions and making fun of my light slaves. Slave days may be over, but apprenticeships ROCK!

Try different lighting. That one sunset shot you have is balls on, but the others need a little more. I usually sandbag a bounceboard for downcast light and have a light slave handle a disc reflector. If you have a rig, light banks and steady ons work great at the beach with a circ. polarizer.

Jul 08 05 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Lago 7

Chicago, Illinois, US

Brian,
Thanks for the great comments and your sense of humor - having one while doing anything like this certainly seems to help.  I need a reflector and lighting "engineer" (paid at slave wages of course) to help out.  You're right - lack of reflectors and additional lighting is missing on the posted shots. 

BTW, your visitor from Miami needs to stay here until I meet her - great look.  Help me out - send her to my page!

Take care - getting late here...T

Jul 09 05 12:32 am Link