Forums > General Industry > Hypothetically speakingâ¦

Photographer

Not This Guy

Aspen Cove, Guam, US

Why not talk a little more and explain your intentions in a sentence or two.  Seems you could say...

I do this for a living but sometimes I run across someone I'd really like to photograph.  You can learn more about me at w.whatever.calm.  If your interested, I'd be happy to give you a few images in return for your time.

-or-

I'm a full time photographer, would you please take my card, check out my work, and keep me in mind if you need a photographer?

Otherwise there's not much difference than leaving the card on the counter.

Apr 24 09 03:58 am Link

Photographer

BobbyGPhoto

Houston, Texas, US

Ron Casas Photography wrote:
Wow…

This has been an interesting read. To top it off no one has gotten out of hand. Hmmm

Bobby, I like the idea of the person telling everyone that they paid, but I would be uncomfortable asking someone to out right lie. That is just me though.

Thanks to for all of the insight.

Well the way I look at it is, If I give them a substantial discount or not charge them at all, then I am contracting them as a marketing agent for me....even for short term....

Would they show others the images even if I didn't try this technique....I am sure they would, and I may get referrals as well....however, I have found that when I offer this type of deal, in most cases, they market for me pretty strong....especially the young ones...

2 months ago I had a Hooters waitress call me wanting to submit images to the calendar...She is drop dead gorgeous....I offer a couple of packages of which she wanted the more expensive one...I met her at the restaraunt she works to discuss the shoot and thats when I noticed there were a BUNCH of hotties at this store....so, I told her I'd waive her fee and provide exactly what we agreed upon IF she could book me 3 more shoots...she got me 6 more shoots....AND I am certain I will book more from this store because all 7 of em are showing the images to the other girls...

I'm a believer in getting other people to market my services....sure they will do it to a certain degree withOUT an incentive...but sometimes the incentive can really pay off....doesn't always work and yes I have been burned on a few occasions over the years....but overall I will continue to offer discounts to those who I feel will benefit me with additional bookings...

Apr 24 09 04:10 am Link

Photographer

Ray Holyer

if they're not modelling anyway, and it's likely that they're not, then they're not going to be interested in doing anything that doesn't result in them getting paid.

I do this a lot, and I pay.  If you offer anything else, or are silly enough to assume that they will pay you for something they didn't want (or else they would have sought out a photographer) then you must expect refusals.

Apr 24 09 04:17 am Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

Lancaster, California, US

Marketing 101....customer referrals are worth 10X anything you can say about yourself.

BobbyG getting the gals to talk amongst themselves is the ultimate personal referral service.

If he went up to 10 gals, it would be "self-interest"...i.e.."I want your money."

When the one gal tells her friends about how great the shots are and how cool you were to work with, its a customer talking to other potential customers.

BTW, most good senior shooters do something similar, offer a deep discounted package for a few select students and get them a referral fee or additional images for their efforts to recruit other high school seniors.

Apr 24 09 05:23 am Link

Photographer

Ron Casas Photography

Chapin, South Carolina, US

glenn my name today wrote:
Marketing 101....customer referrals are worth 10X anything you can say about yourself.

BobbyG getting the gals to talk amongst themselves is the ultimate personal referral service.

If he went up to 10 gals, it would be "self-interest"...i.e.."I want your money."

When the one gal tells her friends about how great the shots are and how cool you were to work with, its a customer talking to other potential customers.

BTW, most good senior shooters do something similar, offer a deep discounted package for a few select students and get them a referral fee or additional images for their efforts to recruit other high school seniors.

I know that word of mouth advertising is the best from of advertising that is a fact.

My fear is giving my work away and have the word of mouth be; You have to go to this photographer, he does it for freeeeeee...

I am in a very small market, and work between two towns one with a pop of about 20k the other about 35k. I do not want to become the guy that works for free..

Apr 24 09 06:02 am Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

Lancaster, California, US

I know your area well since i spend a few weeks a year there.

Bottom line is you can't make money from pretty college kids.

Dancers, strippers, whatever you want to call them...they need and will pay for images for their handouts and ads.

Pretty girls just won't do it.

Apr 24 09 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Los Angeles, California, US

There is an old marketing approach for photographers called the " Be my Guest" sitting.  Most portrait photographers charge a "sitting fee" and then "print prices"  Unlike a commercial "shooting fee" which encompasses all the "costs" of a shoot like studio rental, model and MUA and stylist fees, expendables, equipment rental, assistants, etc., the "sitting fee" is normally a nominal amount designed to qualify the customer and encourage them to show up.  Some will make them more like "shoot fee's", by having higher ones for when you go on location, but that really is just an extension of the confirming they will show up.

The "be my guest" approach was to waive the sitting fee so they could see what they would look like at no risk.  They were then allowed to buy as many or as few of the images that they liked.  Typically, you explained that you wanted to update some studio samples and felt they would fit the bill.  Unfortunately many studios began to apply high pressure tactics to sell the prints and that has left a bad taste in many former customers' mouths.

The OP didn't provide enough detail for me to make a determination.  I think to assume anything would be misguided.  Business cards have been called mini billboards for a reason.  Print them up and hand them out.  Since he had interaction with the girl (placed an order) he had an opportunity to try for a customer contact.  Just passing them out to everyone is like sticking them on parked cars.  Not the right image to project.  Since we don't know the conversation that occurred, I don't think we could determine whether or not the "offer" was for work, pay or free.

I would have said I would love to photograph you some time, or if you are in need of photographic services, I hope you will give me a call, depending on the message I wanted to convey.

KG

Apr 24 09 11:44 am Link

Model

Bella Valentine

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

I would assume that you are offering to shoot for free unless you write down your rates on the card.

Apr 24 09 04:37 pm Link

Model

Scarletizm

Lake Bluff, Illinois, US

I would think you were going to pay me or do it for free (aka try to seduce me).  Although I always hear people saying, 'you should model' I never have anyone say, 'I'm a photographer'.  Come on approach me.

Apr 24 09 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jade Noir

San Antonio, Texas, US

If I'm handing out cards, I'd make it more like "If you're ever interested in being photographed call or go to my website and take a look at my packages". 

Now, if I were to see someone that I feel would be a great model, I'd make it more personal.  That's when I don't expect them to pay.

Apr 24 09 06:49 pm Link

Model

Kam Arose

Berkeley, California, US

Why don't you just say whether you're soliciting paid work or offering a free shoot?

It seems like it would save a lot of guessing.

Apr 24 09 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

DDC Studios

Bartlesville, Oklahoma, US

Im approached by "internet models" models all the time asking me to pay them..

"Hey Big Boy, You Looking For A Date?"

Is the impression I get when they do that!!

Apr 25 09 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

Compromise - If she calls, tell her the shooting session and an 8x10 are free.  Of course, you will do a good shoot and she will end up wanting to buy more.

Apr 25 09 06:51 am Link