Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > PhotoShop Version

Photographer

SmtPhotography

Bakersfield, California, US

Also Can some tell me The Difference between Photoshop Elements and PhotoShop Cs4

May 08 09 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

HEF Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

About $600.00....smile

Also the difference between a VW and a Porsche....

One does a little and the other does a lot...

Check the Adobe website....

May 08 09 08:03 pm Link

Retoucher

v i k t o r

Los Angeles, California, US

about $500 and lots and lots of features.

May 08 09 08:04 pm Link

Model

Stephanie N

New York, New York, US

I have Adobe CS4. (I'm a myspace page designer)

Depending on your graphics card....some things like to freeze for a tad bit.

May 08 09 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Photoshop Elements 7 has 80% of the functions of Photoshop CS4.

May 08 09 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

MisterC

Portland, Oregon, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Photoshop Elements 7 has 80% of the functions of Photoshop CS4.

Yes, but it's missing an important 20%.

As with many programs, you develop a need for what is offered. I use Elements. Plenty of layers, actions, etc. Works for everything I could even imaging doing. But that's because I don't spend much time with CS. If I did, I bet I'd find features that I would learn to need.

May 08 09 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

SmtPhotography

Bakersfield, California, US

But if u mainly do retouching photoshot elements does the trick right?

May 08 09 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Is Elements 64BIT (On a PC)? Does it work in tandem with Lightroom 2.x? IE can I start my panos and layers in LR and export them out to Elements? Does Elements have the Lens Blur tool? Does it use Open GL from your graphics card to speed things up?

May 08 09 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

That 20% is a big deal, but most photographers will probably not even use 1/10 of what Elements can do. When new photographers (who are on a budget) ask I tell them to pick up Elements. Much cheaper and more then they will need for quite a while.

May 08 09 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

MEK Photography

Westminster, Maryland, US

SmtPhotography wrote:

It's like driving the Autobahn in a Pinto...  You can do it, but it's not going to be nearly as easy...

May 08 09 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

SmtPhotography wrote:

Yes. Unless you are doing a lot of deep work or a lot of graphic design Elements will do just about anything you probably need.

I would recommend buying a Wacom tablet. Elements comes in the software bundle. If you decide to upgrade to CS4 the tablet will still make editing worlds easier.

May 08 09 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

J Riley Photography

Fresno, California, US

May I make a suggestion? If you really want to find out the difference and have elements or access to it, try it out. Then download the free trial version of CS4. You will son find why CS4 is far, far superior. That being the case, I have CS4 trial version (the 30 day trial having expired), but I can't afford the actual product activation code myself...

May 08 09 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Bobs Fine Art

Falls Church, Virginia, US

you can only use brushes and filters on 8 bit files, so it's great for editing and fooling around with jpgs... but if your gonna edit raws with problen, you really need the to be using 16 bit mode with the prophoto color space....

it does have a few cool features that photoshop cs4 does not have, which make some things easier for the casual photo editor/compisitor

May 08 09 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

SmtPhotography wrote:
Also Can some tell me The Difference between Photoshop Elements and PhotoShop Cs4

Elements has the same core engine as Photoshop, and some of the tools have been tuned to make common jobs easier. That also means that some more complex jobs aren't practical, as those tools have been combined.

General Advantage of Elements over Photoshop
Price. Elements is around $500-600 less than Photoshop.

General limitations of Elements 6 vs Photoshop CS3/4:

Limited automation: no recording of Actions; no Scripts. (You can RUN some existing Actions via workarounds, but you can't record your own. Since I typically record a half-dozen temp ones every week...)

No CMYK. Limits masking and extremely hinders--almost eliminates--the ability to properly prepare files for press.

No LAB. Limits masking, makes some color correction very difficult, makes some color changes very difficult, makes some kinds of retouching more difficult.

No direct access to the underlying channels. This is a huge limitation for compositing and color correction.

No tool presets for quick access to commonly used settings.

Limited options on colorspaces. For typical use, that's not critical, as the major ones are supported. For some kinds of fine-tuning, it's a non-trivial limitation.

Limited Adjustment Layers.

No Calculations or Apply Image.

Layer masking is unavailable except via kludging.

No access to 16-bit mode. That's a substantial limitation for black-and-white.

No pen tool; limited vector capabilities. Not critical for some forms of photography; very important if doing graphics.

No Smart Objects/Smart Layers/Smart Filters.

No Vanishing Point. (Perspective cloning/pasting)

Limited HDR support.

A bunch of other things which probably don't matter to most photographers.

The first four (bolded items) are enough to eliminate Elements for me as a production tool, and three of them been present since at least version 2--CMYK support was added in v2. I didn't use PS much until v2--other products were more powerful, and I mostly just used PS for conversions and calculations. Actions came later, in v4.

For a LOT of photographic work, Elements is absolutely fine; it's surprisingly powerful. But the limits are reached much sooner, and many relatively simple tasks in Photoshop are either impossible or very time-consuming in Elements. Depending on my clients, I often suggest they  use Elements and see if they run into problems. (Not any photographer who has to deliver CMYK files, though!)

May 08 09 09:52 pm Link