Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Photoshop question #2 : )

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I got great advice about photoshop lingo/color profile when I posted last time.  I am hoping that someone can help me with this new question....

I am editing beauty shots right now, and someone gave me a critique that the skin on my neck/back/shoulders looked a bit blotchy.  Now, I'd like to find out what's a trick to correcting that without making the skin look fake/plasticy... like, retaining pore/texture but evening out the color/tone a bit? 

Thanks so much in advance!

May 17 09 08:47 pm Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

Check out my updated response in your critique thread - I touched up on that topic a bit for you.

Cheers

May 17 09 08:58 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

This isn't neccesarily a technique... but one things I do to keep an eye on my retouching is to swithc back and forth between zoom levels using 25%, 50% and 100% to view the images. Usually if theres blotchiness happening its more noticible at the lower zoom levels.

May 17 09 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

WMcK

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Sascha wrote:
I got great advice about photoshop lingo/color profile when I posted last time.  I am hoping that someone can help me with this new question....

I am editing beauty shots right now, and someone gave me a critique that the skin on my neck/back/shoulders looked a bit blotchy.  Now, I'd like to find out what's a trick to correcting that without making the skin look fake/plasticy... like, retaining pore/texture but evening out the color/tone a bit? 

Thanks so much in advance!

What sometimes helps is to use the Patch toll. Draw a selection round the blotchy bit then drag that to a clear piece of skin with similar contours. Alternatively, try the "healing" (not the "spot healing") tool, take your sample from a bit of clear skin and paint over the blotches. If the blotchiness is purely colour and not brightness variations, you can sample a clear bit with the eyedropper (set to around 5x5) then paint over the blotchy bits with the paintbrush in either "color" or "hue" mode.
As usual with Photoshop there are different solutions, and it's best to try them all to see what works best.

May 18 09 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Narciscus Studio

Durban, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa

Did you not perhaps push the fill light in RAW up too high?

May 18 09 01:26 am Link

Photographer

michael mueller

Hockenheim, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

WMcK wrote:
What sometimes helps is to use the Patch toll. Draw a selection round the blotchy bit then drag that to a clear piece of skin with similar contours. Alternatively, try the "healing" (not the "spot healing") tool, take your sample from a bit of clear skin and paint over the blotches. If the blotchiness is purely colour and not brightness variations, you can sample a clear bit with the eyedropper (set to around 5x5) then paint over the blotchy bits with the paintbrush in either "color" or "hue" mode.
As usual with Photoshop there are different solutions, and it's best to try them all to see what works best.

I totally agree! And usually you have to use different solutions from picture to picture of course ... wink

What I am using a lot is not only the brush in "color" or "hue" mode - also the stamp tool in any of these modes ... sometimes even better bacause the structures of "color" or "hue" will be copied too.

Michael

May 18 09 01:26 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Narciscus Studio wrote:
Did you not perhaps push the fill light in RAW up too high?

lol FYI I got all the images in Tiff mode.  Photographer did not give me raw so I have no idea what it looked like raw.  But considering he doesn't edit his own photos, chances are that these photos are pretty much exactly how they looked when shot.

May 18 09 04:08 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

SujAS wrote:

I totally agree! And usually you have to use different solutions from picture to picture of course ... wink

What I am using a lot is not only the brush in "color" or "hue" mode - also the stamp tool in any of these modes ... sometimes even better bacause the structures of "color" or "hue" will be copied too.

Michael

ermmm okay I don't think I am doing this at all at a level of the stuff you are talking about... I know I can do spot healing, healing, patch or stamp... what I don't understand is "the color or hue mode"... where are those modes?!?! How do I set them... I don't see that option anywhere.. is that a CS3/4 thing??? Mine is CS2.

May 18 09 04:15 am Link

Photographer

WMcK

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Sascha wrote:

ermmm okay I don't think I am doing this at all at a level of the stuff you are talking about... I know I can do spot healing, healing, patch or stamp... what I don't understand is "the color or hue mode"... where are those modes?!?! How do I set them... I don't see that option anywhere.. is that a CS3/4 thing??? Mine is CS2.

CS2 does it too, as do all previous versions of PS that I have used. When you select any painting tool, be it clone, patch, paintbrush, history brush etc, loot at the top left of your screen and you will see a box which probably contains the word "normal." This is a pull down menu where different "blending modes" can be selected. Try selecting "Color" from this. Now any painting toll will only affect the colour, not the brightness of the part you paint, i.e. it will change the colour without changing the detail. For blotchiness try selecting your foreground colour (either with the eye dropper or alt-clicking with your paint tool) and painting over your blotchy area. Only the colour will change, and the redness will change to normal skin colour. Sometimes the colour can become too saturated. In this case try the hue. What I sometimes do is to use "hue," then paint over using "color" then do a "fade paint brush" adjusting the slider to get the most natural colour, but this is a bit more advanced. Try it using first the "color" mode then the "hue" and see what suits.

May 18 09 07:11 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

WMcK wrote:

CS2 does it too, as do all previous versions of PS that I have used. When you select any painting tool, be it clone, patch, paintbrush, history brush etc, loot at the top left of your screen and you will see a box which probably contains the word "normal." This is a pull down menu where different "blending modes" can be selected. Try selecting "Color" from this. Now any painting toll will only affect the colour, not the brightness of the part you paint, i.e. it will change the colour without changing the detail. For blotchiness try selecting your foreground colour (either with the eye dropper or alt-clicking with your paint tool) and painting over your blotchy area. Only the colour will change, and the redness will change to normal skin colour. Sometimes the colour can become too saturated. In this case try the hue. What I sometimes do is to use "hue," then paint over using "color" then do a "fade paint brush" adjusting the slider to get the most natural colour, but this is a bit more advanced. Try it using first the "color" mode then the "hue" and see what suits.

OMFG!!!!!! I was blind to this feature this entire time!  I must have accidentally changed it too, I was wondering why lately when I select a lighter area with stamp and stamp over the darker area, it wouldn't reflect the lighter shade at all... lo and behold, mine was somehow set as "darken"!!! You killed 2 birds with one stone with this one... thanks a bunch!!

May 18 09 04:41 pm Link