Photographer

Sunspark Photography

Cary, North Carolina, US

What books have you found most useful as a photographer for retouching, special effects and advanced photoshop techniques?  Thanks!

May 19 09 04:34 pm Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

I still have yet to find a great one dedicated strictly to retouching. But most recommend skin:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ … futura-20/

I study art more than I do retouching, I just find that more useful after knowing most of the tools in P.S.

May 19 09 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Sunspark Photography

Cary, North Carolina, US

Solstice Retouch wrote:
I still have yet to find a great one dedicated strictly to retouching. But most recommend skin:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ … futura-20/

I study art more than I do retouching, I just find that more useful after knowing most of the tools in P.S.

I've actually read that one already, and I agree, it's good one.

May 19 09 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

GH-Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Scott Kelby has some great books.
If you are more into digital art check out bert monroy's book.

May 19 09 07:05 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

My list of recommended Photoshop books for photographers is here. It's different than the ones I'd recommend to a graphic artist, but these make a much better foundation for photo-imaging than most general books on Photoshop.

The linked page has reviews. Here are just the titles and authors.

General Photography
Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers by Martin Evening
The Photoshop CS4 Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby
Skin: The Complete Guide to Digitally Lighting, Photographing, and Retouching Faces and Bodies by Lee Varis
Adobe Photoshop CS2: The Art of Photographing Women by Kevin Ames

Retouching
Photoshop Restoration and Retouching by Katrin Eismann & Wayne Palmer
Glitterguru on Photoshop: From Concept to Cool by Suzette Troche-Stapp
Commercial Photoshop Retouching: In the Studio by Glenn Honiball
Digital Retouching for Fashion, Beauty, and Portrait Photography in Photoshop CS3 by Gry Garness

Specialty
Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction by Dan Margulis
Photoshop LAB Color: The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace by Dan Margulis
Photoshop Masking & Compositing by Katrin Eismann
Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS4 by Bruce Fraser & Jeff Schewe
Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop CS2 by Bruce Fraser
Real World Color Management by Bruce Fraser, Fred Bunting, Chris Murphy
Photoshop Channel CHOPS by David Biedny, Bert Monroy, Nathan Moody
Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature by Matt Kloskowski

(Note that most titles with CS4 have CS3, CS2, or earlier versions, often heavily discounted.)

May 19 09 07:44 pm Link

Retoucher

Retoucher

Los Angeles, California, US

Kevin has a great list, I'll add my list though some of the books are the same.

Adobe Photoshop Restoration & Retouching (3rd Edition)
Making Faces by Kevyn Aucoin
The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression by Gary Faigin
Skin: The Complete Guide to Digitally Lighting, Photographing, and Retouching Faces
Real World Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers by Conrad Chavez
Real World Compositing with Adobe Photoshop CS4 by Dan Moughamian
Photoshop LAB Color: The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace by Dan Margulis

That's a good start.

- ST

May 19 09 10:40 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

S T Pro Retouching wrote:

And Scott Valentine. smile  (Gotta plug a fellow co-moderator, even if it's on another site.)

Good point; often excellent guides to "Photoshop" aren't books on Photoshop. I learned a lot of what I know about using Photoshop via airbrush books and magazines.

Seriously, though: understanding the tools is often the easy part. Knowing how to use those tools effectively often requires knowledge far afield from 'Photoshop' itself, whether that's color theory (for color correction and optimization), art (retouching, compositing), lighting (retouching, compositing), anatomy (retouching), etc.

May 19 09 10:56 pm Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

Kevin_Connery wrote:
My list of recommended Photoshop books for photographers is here. It's different than the ones I'd recommend to a graphic artist, but these make a much better foundation for photo-imaging than most general books on Photoshop.

The linked page has reviews. Here are just the titles and authors.

General Photography
The Photoshop CS4 Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby
Skin: The Complete Guide to Digitally Lighting, Photographing, and Retouching Faces and Bodies by Lee Varis
Adobe Photoshop CS2: The Art of Photographing Women by Kevin Ames

Retouching
Photoshop Restoration and Retouching by Katrin Eismann & Wayne Palmer
Glitterguru on Photoshop: From Concept to Cool by Suzette Troche-Stapp
Commercial Photoshop Retouching: In the Studio by Glenn Honiball
Digital Retouching for Fashion, Beauty, and Portrait Photography in Photoshop CS3 by Gry Garness

Specialty
Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction by Dan Margulis
Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS4 by Bruce Fraser & Jeff Schewe
Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop CS2 by Bruce Fraser
Real World Color Management by Bruce Fraser, Fred Bunting, Chris Murphy
Photoshop Channel CHOPS by David Biedny, Bert Monroy, Nathan Moody
Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature by Matt Kloskowski

(Note that most titles with CS4 have CS3, CS2, or earlier versions, often heavily discounted.)

I love you. Seriously.

May 19 09 11:07 pm Link

Retoucher

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery wrote:

And Scott Valentine. smile  (Gotta plug a fellow co-moderator, even if it's on another site.)

Good point; often excellent guides to "Photoshop" aren't books on Photoshop. I learned a lot of what I know about using Photoshop via airbrush books and magazines.

Seriously, though: understanding the tools is often the easy part. Knowing how to use those tools effectively often requires knowledge far afield from 'Photoshop' itself, whether that's color theory (for color correction and optimization), art (retouching, compositing), lighting (retouching, compositing), anatomy (retouching), etc.

(end quote from kevin) dunno why but the tag isnt working correctly.
---
Hehe yeah it's amazing what you can learn from seemingly unconventional sources. My apologies for not listing co-authors. As a photographer and a graphic designer it's amazing what I learned from painters and the like. When I started digital photography and I got into digital retouching I learned a great deal (from the suggestions of christy) from make up books.
- Phen

May 19 09 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

TMK Images Photography

Dallas, Texas, US

The truth of the matter is that I've tried Lynda.com and found them to be really good at what they do, but the guy is just too fast for me to grasp anything.  Then i purchased about 5 books; Photoshop CS3 (The Bible), Photoshop CS3 Workflow, Skin, Photoshop Lighting, etc.etc. 
Guess how many I read?   NONE of them LOL....oh yes, I did read SKIN.

But what I did instead was to find 2 friend Photographers and pay them to teach me the workflow and some techniques.  Each had their different ways of post work; so I even got a little confused.  I'm now working on putting my NEW and hopefully ONLY workflow together out of a combination of the two.  Because one shoots in ONLY RAW and the other in JPEG only.  So their workflow is different.

PLUS I purchased a new iMAC and iPhoto has a DPI Conversion bug in it...which bothers me so I have to get around that by going into Capture, Bridge, or Lightroom first. 

My suggestion, find a good Post Photoshop guy/gal and learn from them....then use the books as a reference.  But some of the books are way tooooo detailed and time consuming for me.  I need to know right of way; i'm that kinda guy. lol   VISUAL.
Good luck

May 20 09 04:25 am Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

I have given up on books for awhile and am focusing on doing as many online tutorials, youtube and PS forums as I can stand.

May 21 09 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Liz Caldwell

Riverside, California, US

Google.  I learned everything I know on a case by case basis, by searching Google.  I'd stop and think "I wonder if I could _____ on photoshop...? I bet there's a tutorial on Google somewhere." 

...and there always was.

May 21 09 10:37 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Liz Caldwell Photo wrote:
Google.  I learned everything I know on a case by case basis, by searching Google.  I'd stop and think "I wonder if I could _____ on photoshop...? I bet there's a tutorial on Google somewhere." 

...and there always was.

For small values of "always" smile

In other words: it wasn't always true, as Photoshop predates the Web, which in turn predates Google. Some of us are dinosaurs.

Personally, I don't learn as well from videos as from books. Videos always seemed to be going the wrong speed--too slow (and my mind wanders) or too fast (and I have to rewind to keep up). That appears to be the minority preference, though.

Still, there is another benefit to books rather than just standalone tutorials: foundation building. It's hard to put together advanced instruction if you don't know what basics the audience knows and doesn't know. (Not to mention the vetting process before a book gets published. While 'bad' books do make in onto the shelf, they still got approved by someone willing to commit their own money to the project. Web tutorials don't have that review built in, and there's a larger fraction of poor/bad/dangerously bad tutorials out there.

(There are some tremendous tutorials online, both free and fee. It's just that there are even more which aren't.)

May 22 09 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Eros Studios

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I've spent a fortune for books and have learned some good stuff there but about a year ago discovered http://www.kelbytraining.com/.

For $20/month this has an amazing array of video tutorials on all sorts of topics/technologies relevent to photographers in the digital age.  I've been teaching myself photoshop/retouching/effects for 10 years and learned tons withing the first month of joining this sight.

Scott Kelby's retouching tutorials and Joe McNally's photogrpahy/lighting tutorials are worth the price in themselves but there is SO much more.

Considering that a single photoshop book will cost you between $30-$60, I consider this site a bargain!

May 22 09 04:54 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Most of the books available that touch on the subject of Photoshop are simply retreads of a Scott Kelby book. Probably the only original material available was written by either Katrin Eisemen, Martin Evening, Dan Margulis, or those two guys that wrote Channel Chops, and even they admit they got most of their information from Dan Margulis.

While the program is all powerful, its actually quite simple to use once you get the jist of the basics, and you can do that by reading any of the authors I've mentioned.

The one book that doesn't get as much credit as it deserves, is the Classroom In A Book, from Adobe. Read that, and you'll never need to pick up another Kelby book as long as you live, and think of all the trees you'll save by not buying one of those door stops.

Probably the most completely worthless piece of crap ever written on the subject is "Welcome To Oz", by Vincent Versace. His work flow is pure stupidity, and he is so bad at color its laughable. If I ever gave a client an end result as horrible as what he published, I would have my ass handed to me on a rusty garbage can lid.

May 22 09 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Robert Randall wrote:
Most of the books available that touch on the subject of Photoshop are simply retreads of a Scott Kelby book. Probably the only original material available was written by either Katrin Eisemen, Martin Evening, Dan Margulis, or those two guys that wrote Channel Chops, and even they admit they got most of their information from Dan Margulis.

While the program is all powerful, its actually quite simple to use once you get the jist of the basics, and you can do that by reading any of the authors I've mentioned.

The one book that doesn't get as much credit as it deserves, is the Classroom In A Book, from Adobe. Read that, and you'll never need to pick up another Kelby book as long as you live, and think of all the trees you'll save by not buying one of those door stops.

Probably the most completely worthless piece of crap ever written on the subject is "Welcome To Oz", by Vincent Versace. His work flow is pure stupidity, and he is so bad at color its laughable. If I ever gave a client an end result as horrible as what he published, I would have my ass handed to me on a rusty garbage can lid.

lol why must the lid be rusty?

May 22 09 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

LADY SWEET FACE wrote:

lol why must the lid be rusty?

Simply to illustrate what a worthless piece of crap that book is. It doesn't deserve silver!

May 22 09 08:13 am Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Robert Randall wrote:

I was very impressed with some of his results, and his insistence on visualizing what you want before starting, but I didn't like his processes at all. He seems to get his good results in spite of how he works--his strongest examples don't seem to use the techniques he espouses.

OTOH, there's another (non-photography-oriented) Photoshop book with horrible examples that actually gives excellent advice on a lot of techniques. It's from an illustrator who often works on very short deadlines, and he cuts too too many corners in terms of the results in terms of photo-realistic results, which is arguably the goal. Someone who wasn't sloppy could use the techniques as explained and get pretty darn good results--but anyone who used the resulting images in the book as a guide would stop long before that point.

I can't recommend either, even though there are some things worth listening to in both, as the 'bad' points swamp the 'good' ones.

May 22 09 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Kevin_Connery wrote:
I can't recommend either, even though there are some things worth listening to in both, as the 'bad' points swamp the 'good' ones.

You know, but you have to let the reader decide what it's worth. It's the same as going though a class with a poor teacher, or taking advice from here online.

I do like Skin, although I do suggest people throw out half the shit in that book. But to someone starting it could be a great resource.

I still am picking though this book, which after a while should improve what I'm doing by a lot - http://www.valorebooks.com/Search/ISBN/9780471403999

Classroom in a book was decent, and it'd be fun to go though some of them again, even the old ones.

smile

I should find this again, and they were over my head at the time, but the "photoshop wow" books or whatever seemed to be good. Even the old ones are great since really, none of this stuff has changed all that much in the past 5-6 years, or at least hte basics haven't changed.

May 22 09 09:57 am Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Andrew Thomas Designs wrote:

Kevin_Connery wrote:

You know, but you have to let the reader decide what it's worth. It's the same as going though a class with a poor teacher, or taking advice from here online.

That's why I deliberately didn't list the name of the other book. I don't recommend against it; I simply don't recommend it. smile

In a discussion, if things like that come up, I'm more than happy to elaborate on trade-offs, but most forum threads (and most people) seem to want quick yes-or-no choices, and I generally just leave out the ones which have serious drawbacks when making recommendations rather than write a long essay about the details.

May 22 09 10:41 am Link

Retoucher

Jessica Loewen Retouch

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Although already mentioned:

Was quite good...its the only one I've read but I picked up a few useful things.

May 22 09 11:42 pm Link