Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > What about the ears?

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

So many retouchers focus on skin, skin, skin, what about the other details in an image like the EARS being covered by strays... Would you clean them up? What if a client insist that you clean them up? Can you?

Here's two ears from an image I just finished, raw untouched straight from the camera. Client wants the hair perfect with the ears clean. Can you do it? (sorry I can't show the whole image)

Describe your work flow and tools used... I'll post my version after a little while along with how I did it.

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2430/3554837655_5388e6fb26_o.jpg

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3382/3554837635_d7f6ed87b2_o.jpg

May 22 09 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

lol this forum is turning into Retouch Pro's forums on day one!

this is not hard, tedious though

May 22 09 06:13 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Ravendrive Productions wrote:

Very tedious, and it has to be done to the standard of an international vogue editorial...

May 22 09 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

MisterC

Portland, Oregon, US

Ravendrive Productions wrote:

I agree. Very few elements to work with, just a little slow paced.

May 22 09 06:17 pm Link

Model

Jas "Belly Donsah"

San Francisco, California, US

Wow, I didn't realize so much work was put into photoshopping images!  Thank you to all who toil long hours & strive to create outstanding images!

~ Belly Donsah

May 22 09 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Tzalam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

That's why time has to be put in during the shoot to make sure there isn't this much work  in post.

This is just lack of attention but the crew/photographer during the shoot.

May 22 09 07:17 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Tzalam wrote:
That's why time has to be put in during the shoot to make sure there isn't this much work  in post.

This is just lack of attention but the crew/photographer during the shoot.

I'm sure that the photographer who shot this image as well as the stylist, hair stylist, mua, and everyone else on set is more than competent and would probably be considered some of the top in the world... Sometimes things don't turn out the way they need to during a shoot... hmm

May 22 09 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

btdsgn wrote:

I'm sure that the photographer who shot this image as well as the stylist, hair stylist, mua, and everyone else on set is more than competent and would probably be considered some of the top in the world... Sometimes things don't turn out the way they need to during a shoot... hmm

if these were intended to be anything further than a head shot then they are fine, however if these were to be beauty shots then I have to disagree that the photographer and hairstylist did the best they could. that should have been scrutinized at the shoot. However we all agree it's not difficult to fix this, just time consuming.

May 22 09 07:32 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Myshkin wrote:
However we all agree it's not difficult to fix this, just time consuming.

Let's say it was a shoot that involved a celebrity... and you had 15-20 min with them and needed to complete 2-3 looks. How much time would you spend scrutinizing before you started releasing the shutter?

With that said... The preperation of this image isn't the issue, this is a common task that a retoucher would get and one detail of the image. So far most have said its easy, and I would agree that the models right ear is easy, but I would say that the left ear is definately leaning in the hard direction.

I'd be curious to see the results of those who think its easy...

May 22 09 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

btdsgn wrote:

Let's say it was a shoot that involved a celebrity... and you had 15-20 min with them and needed to complete 2-3 looks. How much time would you spend scrutinizing before you started releasing the shutter?

With that said... The preperation of this image isn't the issue, this is a common task that a retoucher would get and one detail of the image. So far most have said its easy, and I would agree that the models right ear is easy, but I would say that the left ear is definately leaning in the hard direction.

I'd be curious to see the results of those who think its easy...

ha! good luck getting someone to invest that time for a proof of concept wink

I agree the left ear is on the hard side, depending on how much hair you wanted removed. If the goal is to have it look good I think that's a matter of cleaning up the obvious clutter, but if the goal is recreate a completely hair free ear and temple, well that's a lot of cloning, texturing, dnb, highpass... you'd have to throw a lot of tools at it wink

May 22 09 07:51 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Myshkin wrote:

ha! good luck getting someone to invest that time for a proof of concept wink

I agree the left ear is on the hard side, depending on how much hair you wanted removed. If the goal is to have it look good I think that's a matter of cleaning up the obvious clutter, but if the goal is recreate a completely hair free ear and temple, well that's a lot of cloning, texturing, dnb, highpass... you'd have to throw a lot of tools at it wink

I'd say about 20 min total... a few min on the easy ear and the rest of the time on the other. smile

May 22 09 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

btdsgn wrote:

I'd say about 20 min total... a few min on the easy ear and the rest of the time on the other. smile

do it!

May 22 09 08:04 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Myshkin wrote:

do it!

I't already done smile

May 22 09 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

btdsgn wrote:

I't already done smile

so are you here to tease or show us what you can do? :p

May 22 09 08:11 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Myshkin wrote:
so are you here to tease or show us what you can do? :p

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3349/3555902036_1cd58cdda7_o.jpg

Now lets see you do it... tongue

May 22 09 08:23 pm Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

Yes, I can't stand the ear around the hair. I will remove it if I can

For instance

https://i39.tinypic.com/2gwt27b.jpg
before

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/081202/18/4935c3250090d.jpg

That portion did take quite some time, but I needed it to go. I kept the little portion at the top to keep things natural. The strays I made them go away.

The process being simple, pixel level cloning and considerate healing, also pixel painting so to speak with colors sampled from adjacent cells as a last resort. It just takes forever.

May 22 09 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

theycallmeiron

San Diego, California, US

Solstice Retouch wrote:
Yes, I can't stand the ear around the hair. I will remove it if I can

For instance

https://i39.tinypic.com/2gwt27b.jpg
before

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/081202/18/4935c3250090d.jpg

That portion did take quite some time, but I needed it to go. I kept the little portion at the top to keep things natural. The strays I made them go away.

The process being simple, pixel level cloning and considerate healing, also pixel painting so to speak with colors sampled from adjacent cells as a last resort. It just takes forever.

shouldve removed her piercings...everytime i see this photo i can't stop looking at her ear.

May 22 09 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

theycallmeiron

San Diego, California, US

May 22 09 10:30 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Nice work solstice... I agree that the piercing should have been removed as well. It's a little distracting.

The reason I find the left ear I posted hard is because theres very little ear to work with.

May 22 09 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Solstice Photo

Houston, Texas, US

btdsgn wrote:
Nice work solstice... I agree that the piercing should have been removed as well. It's a little distracting.

The reason I find the left ear I posted hard is because theres very little ear to work with.

You're absolutely right, the top one is pretty much close to impossible. Not that it can't be done but the space to work with is so limiting.

The second one is doable, though it will take forever.

Have they been worked on yet or are you still going to start?

__

I have always been on the fence about the ear situation.
For removing reasoning: It's aesthetically works against the image.
Against removing: In keeping things natural, most to all women have their ears pierced so it looks natural, when I see non-pierced womens earlobes, it's very strange to me.

Now I just ask the client what they want and do accordingly.

May 22 09 11:04 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Solstice Photo wrote:
Have they been worked on yet or are you still going to start?

This is the worked on version... with both ears done.
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3349/3555902036_1cd58cdda7_o.jpg

May 22 09 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

dude that's good, clarifies what you were asking. I can do that in the same time frame, I wasn't sure if you wanted all the hair gone off the side as well, that would be a lot more work wink

May 23 09 01:39 pm Link