Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Good Film Scanner

Photographer

Andy Durazo

Los Angeles, California, US

Does one exist that isn't uber expensive?

I have a Prime Film 3600 pro. Sucks big donkey dick!! Cyberview crashes with great regularity. Vuescan works ok with it. 

I really need a scanner for 35mm; if it can do 120 better. I DO NOT WANT a flat bed that also does film they suck too.

thanx in advance for your help.

May 23 09 07:12 am Link

Photographer

ASYLUM - Art Nudes

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I've liked Imacon/Hasselblad scanners... but they are stupidly expensive. I've owned a couple Nikon scanners and have been generally disappointed. But probably because I was comparing to the previously mentioned scanners and drum scanners.

May 23 09 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Andy Durazo

Yeah we have Imacon scanners at work but, they frown on borrowing them.

lol

We've had Polaroid, Minolta, and Microtek. The Polaroid and Minolta were okay but, I want one for me as both Polaroid and Minolta are out of the business.

The Microtek was interesting, they all stopped working within a week of each other. We were told to install a new version of their software. It wouldn't install! In fact it wouldn't download, the file was corrupt. Microtek told us that the machines were unrepairable and need to be replaced. They offered to sell us new ones. We declined. Isn't it weird all of the scanners would quit working at the same time! Talk about planned obsolescence!

May 23 09 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Bosaiya

Sumner, Washington, US

Andy Durazo wrote:
Does one exist that isn't uber expensive?

I have a Prime Film 3600 pro. Sucks big donkey dick!! Cyberview crashes with great regularity. Vuescan works ok with it. 

I really need a scanner for 35mm; if it can do 120 better. I DO NOT WANT a flat bed that also does film they suck too.

thanx in advance for your help.

What is it you want to get out of the scanner? What is your list of demands? That would help narrow it down considerably. You mention not liking flatbeds, but don't say what it is about them you dislike.

May 23 09 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Andy Durazo

Bosaiya wrote:

What is it you want to get out of the scanner? What is your list of demands? That would help narrow it down considerably. You mention not liking flatbeds, but don't say what it is about them you dislike.

Flatbeds are great for flat art but, suck with film. I want a good scan 3600 dpi or better. I want software that doesn't crash on loading and recognizes it's scanner (Nikon software won't recognize the Nikon scanner). Basically I want something that you plug in load the software and it works.

May 23 09 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have a Coolscan V that's been sitting and not in use. If you want 35 mm scans, it's great. I'm not keen on the Nikon software myself but mamy people get Vuescan software and it has great reviews.

May 23 09 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

SteveG

Overland Park, Kansas, US

Andy Durazo wrote:

Flatbeds are great for flat art but, suck with film. I want a good scan 3600 dpi or better. I want software that doesn't crash on loading and recognizes it's scanner (Nikon software won't recognize the Nikon scanner). Basically I want something that you plug in load the software and it works.

a scanner is only as good as it's operator. And are you wanting 3600 dpi or ppi...two totally different things.

May 23 09 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

What's your budget Andy?

May 23 09 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Durazo

Brian Hillburn wrote:
What's your budget Andy?

Around $500.