Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Much of my photoshop knowledge comes from Rick Miller, who took my self taught basics and not only taught me photoshop inside and out, gave me the tools to keep learning and growing on my own.

So many people have learned through classes, or working with great people. 

Who here is not self taught?

May 23 09 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

SunArcher Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

*raises hand*

But can't identify who taught me, though. wink

May 23 09 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

ASYLUM - Art Nudes

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Self taught here. Would like to sit down and learn from someone some day.

May 24 09 07:53 am Link

Photographer

BornArts

Fresno, California, US

Star wrote:
Much of my photoshop knowledge comes from Rick Miller, who took my self taught basics and not only taught me photoshop inside and out, gave me the tools to keep learning and growing on my own.

I don't get it.  Another man gave you the tools to keep learning and growing on your own?  What?  He gave you Photoshop or a brain?

May 25 09 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

James_B_II wrote:
I don't get it.  Another man gave you the tools to keep learning and growing on your own?  What?  He gave you Photoshop or a brain?

really, was this necessary?  neutral

May 25 09 10:27 am Link

Artist/Painter

Theloneous Jones

Denver, Colorado, US

Self motivated and no classroom or personal training but  tons of online  tutorials and books.  Massive black and The Gnomon Workshops to name a couple.
I find a lot of artists cling onto the self taught thing like a badge of honor when it is only stunting their growth.  Ones personal style doesnt get corrupted or tainted by learning from others, only enhanced.  In general when I see someone proudly proclaiming that they were "self taught", I look at their work and think, "it shows".

May 25 09 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Star

James_B_II wrote:

If you don't understand a program, and not just how it works but the reason behind the algorithms, then you can not grow as the program evolves and changes.

Just like if you cannot understand a simple proof you will be lost in higher mathematics. As the tools inside change, the reasoning behind why the tools exist and how they can be manipulated doesn't. the math doesn't change, just the ways you can use the math.

If that is too hard to understand think of photoshop as a language. There is much you can lean just on the surface, but inside there are deeper meanings, better more precise words, greater flexibility. The words are all there to be found, the question is have you found all the right words to be a poet? Or are you a mediocre wordsmith, lost in a language you only partialy understand. Forever unable to truly get your concept across to others.

It is a difference in perception and ability, aptitude and clarity of purpose.

Without the tools to truly dissect photoshop and understand the language I was trying to speak, the numbers I was trying to add together...

Finally a music metaphor, which really is just math that you can experience more viscerally. 

It is something that can be learned on your own, just as there are self taught concert pianists, but there aren't too many of those are there?

There are many people who learn piano from books, and years down the road they can play pretty proficiently.

And there are others, who have teachers and coaches and in the end end up composing great works. Are the works less great for somebody showing them a harmony and how it works? Does learning how the notes become music mean that before that knowledge they were without a brain?

No.

So to make it simple, Rick showed me harmonics when I had been playing only a melody line.

May 25 09 10:53 am Link

Digital Artist

alegion

Astoria, Oregon, US

Theloneous Jones wrote:
Self motivated and no classroom or personal training but  tons of online  tutorials and books.  Massive black and The Gnomon Workshops to name a couple.
I find a lot of artists cling onto the self taught thing like a badge of honor when it is only stunting their growth.  Ones personal style doesnt get corrupted or tainted by learning from others, only enhanced.  In general when I see someone proudly proclaiming that they were "self taught", I look at their work and think, "it shows".

I think your generalizing.

May 25 09 11:04 am Link

Digital Artist

alegion

Astoria, Oregon, US

Star wrote:
If you don't understand a program, and not just how it works but the reason behind the algorithms, then you can not grow as the program evolves and changes.

Just like if you cannot understand a simple proof you will be lost in higher mathematics. As the tools inside change, the reasoning behind why the tools exist and how they can be manipulated doesn't. the math doesn't change, just the ways you can use the math.

If that is too hard to understand think of photoshop as a language. There is much you can lean just on the surface, but inside there are deeper meanings, better more precise words, greater flexibility. The words are all there to be found, the question is have you found all the right words to be a poet? Or are you a mediocre wordsmith, lost in a language you only partialy understand. Forever unable to truly get your concept across to others.

Without the tools to truly dissect photoshop and understand the language I was trying to speak, the numbers I was trying to add together...

Finally a music metaphor, which really is just math that you can experience more viscerally. 

It is something that can be learned on your own, just as there are self taught concert pianists, but there aren't too many of those are there?

There are many people who learn piano from books, and years down the road they can play pretty proficiently.

And there are others, who have teachers and coaches and in the end end up composing great works. Are the works less great for somebody showing them a harmony and how it works? Does learning how the notes become music mean that before that knowledge they were without a brain?

No.

So to make it simple, Rick showed me harmonics when I had been playing only a melody line.

Simple answer... some people need guidance...some naturally pick things up. Your making this more complicated than it is. Some are just gifted and learn things quickly on there own. Some need a teacher to show them how. It happens with music as well...or any form of art.

May 25 09 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

I went to a 1 hour Adobe seminar once, does that count as training ? Otherwise, I then must say I am self-taught.

May 25 09 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

alegion wrote:

You're

May 25 09 11:43 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

ASYLUM - Art Nudes wrote:
Self taught here. Would like to sit down and learn from someone some day.

x2  I'd like to just sit and watch someone work.  I think I'm going to sign up for a month with Lynda.com.

May 25 09 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've probably had more formal technical training in imaging than anyone on this site, including Rick Miller. There are artists on this site who are so good, I would be ashamed to hold their jock strap. I assume a great many of them are self taught, while others have formal training. I believe the one constant is how quickly a well trained artist can assimilate technique into their artistry, while the self taught artist may never assimilate quality technique. While I obviously approve of formal training, it isn't the only path to creative success.

To this day, I don't think Paul McCartney can read music.

May 25 09 11:56 am Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Robert Randall wrote:

You're

At least he didn't say he was self learned in grammar. smile

May 25 09 11:57 am Link

Artist/Painter

Theloneous Jones

Denver, Colorado, US

alegion wrote:

What makes you say that?   Was it the part where I said "In general"?

May 25 09 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Star

BTW- there are non formal training techniques too. Such as people who worked for a great photographer or retoucher and learned that way. Self taught means you taught yourself. It really is that simple.

For a musician there are many ways to learn, from outside yourself. McCartney was raised by a musician in a musicians household, somehow i think that helped.

"McCartney revealed that the guitar accompaniment for Blackbird was inspired by Bach’s Bouree in E minor, a well known classical guitar piece. As kids, Paul and George Harrison tried to learn Bouree as a “show off” piece. Bouree is distinguished by melody and bass notes played simultaneously on the upper and lower strings. McCartney adapted a segment of Bouree as the opening of “Blackbird,” and carried the musical idea throughout the song."

http://www.musicteachershelper.com/blog … rd-trivia/

May 25 09 12:13 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Moderator Warning!

LADY SWEET FACE wrote:

James_B_II wrote:

really, was this necessary?  neutral

No, it was not.

No BS. No Drama.

May 25 09 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Star wrote:
BTW- there are non formal training techniques too. Such as people who worked for a great photographer or retoucher and learned that way. Self taught means you taught yourself. It really is that simple.

For a musician there are many ways to learn, from outside yourself. McCartney was raised by a musician in a musicians household, somehow i think that helped.

"McCartney revealed that the guitar accompaniment for Blackbird was inspired by Bach’s Bouree in E minor, a well known classical guitar piece. As kids, Paul and George Harrison tried to learn Bouree as a “show off” piece. Bouree is distinguished by melody and bass notes played simultaneously on the upper and lower strings. McCartney adapted a segment of Bouree as the opening of “Blackbird,” and carried the musical idea throughout the song."

http://www.musicteachershelper.com/blog … rd-trivia/

Your post implies that McCartney can read music, yet everything I've ever read indicates he can't read music, to the point that the Beatles always had classically trained musicians transcribing their live jam sessions onto paper.

Which is true?

May 25 09 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

K Photographic Dreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm not self taught.

May 25 09 12:19 pm Link

Retoucher

Star the retoucher

Robert Randall wrote:

Your post implies that McCartney can read music, yet everything I've ever read indicates he can't read music, to the point that the Beatles always had classically trained musicians transcribing their live jam sessions onto paper.

Which is true?

Maybe we can move this to another thread? Your posting implied that Paul was self taught in music do to the fact that he can't read music. I don't believe that is possible growing up in a musicians household to be a self taught musician, regardless of reading sheet music or not.

One of the best performers in a traveling show of Les Mes in the 1980's could speak not a word of English, but performed her songs so beautifully that it was not apparent that the words, to her, existed outside of time and language.

May 25 09 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Brian T Rickey

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

edit - I misread something.  pardon me

I have taught myself, mostly from reading what I can find on the web and some magazines like Advanced Photoshop. 
But, with that being said, I have spent hundreds of hours in photoshop trying different things.  That is where I have learned the most.

May 25 09 12:37 pm Link

Model

Tiffany Leigh Smith

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Star wrote:

90% of my PS knowledge came from you in that 10 minute crash course you gave me. smile

Thanks!! wink

May 25 09 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Star the retoucher wrote:

Maybe we can move this to another thread? Your posting implied that Paul was self taught in music do to the fact that he can't read music. I don't believe that is possible growing up in a musicians household to be a self taught musician, regardless of reading sheet music or not.

One of the best performers in a traveling show of Les Mes in the 1980's could speak not a word of English, but performed her songs so beautifully that it was not apparent that the words, to her, existed outside of time and language.

I wasn't implying he was self taught, I was implying he was a musical genius that couldn't read music. I have no idea how he came to be that, which is in line with my statement about holding jock straps...  I have no idea how someone lacking in formal training could acheive such artistic heights, but they do. That's all.

May 25 09 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Brian T Rickey wrote:
edit - I misread something.  pardon me

I have taught myself, mostly from reading what I can find on the web and some magazines like Advanced Photoshop. 
But, with that being said, I have spent hundreds of hours in photoshop trying different things.  That is where I have learned the most.

I too experiment with PS in an effort to learn and better understand the programs capabilities. I wonder if my formal education gives me an edge in learning and understanding, as well as assimilating that knowledge into my workflow. I believe it does, and I always encourage everyone to follow a similar path. I also believe you can be a huge success without it, although the odds are against you.

May 25 09 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Brian T Rickey

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Robert Randall wrote:
I too experiment with PS in an effort to learn and better understand the programs capabilities. I wonder if my formal education gives me an edge in learning and understanding, as well as assimilating that knowledge into my workflow. I believe it does, and I always encourage everyone to follow a similar path. I also believe you can be a huge success without it, although the odds are against you.

Having both the formal education and hours of practive are perhaps the best of both worlds.  Each will show you something that will help you in the future.  Most of the time the hours of practice was spent trying to work with something I learned from a formal source.  One without the other would have left a huge gap in my knowldge.

May 25 09 12:58 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

When it comes to software I've always been able to just figure it out, I've also always been willing to bang away (all night) until I did... I probably would have learned quicker with training but its just not the route I took. I don't think either is right or wrong.

May 25 09 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

I am self taught and I hate it.  I know I could learn twice as fast under a good teacher.  Unfortunately the few people that I have been able to sit down with that really excel at Photoshop were horrible teachers.  They had the skill, but not the ability to break things down and teach them.

I hate learning tricks and want to know why things happen which has been my problem with most tutorials and books.

May 25 09 01:09 pm Link

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Chicago, Illinois, US

Meh, Self taught as well and i wish i had someone to take me under there wing but most people around here i meet when i ask for help i get the cold shoulder.

May 25 09 01:40 pm Link

Retoucher

WaterWalk

Campbell, New York, US

I have taught Digital Art at a community college since 2003 (and InDesign, Dreamweaver, & Illustrator). Photoshop is a tool. Some people pick it right up, others struggle, even with professional help. Some people learn best on there own - we all have different learning styles! Some students, who are artists, go on to create great stuff. Many photographers just want to learn how to use photoshop as a Digital Darkroom.

CS4 has lots of components - its a massive program - if you've never used the software before it can be daunting. There are also some thinks I don't believe anyone would find unless someone told them. (Like 4 key keyboard shortcuts for example.) But the best way to get good really, is to experiment with the software regularly. Apply what you've learned, and keep up with the technology.

Some people HATE manipulations and think that anything altered in photoshop is crap. I have to remind people all the time that when photography was invented, all the painters ranted how there was NO art in it - that the "machine" did all the work!

May 25 09 01:43 pm Link

Retoucher

Maniptrix

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Some of my photoshop knowledge comes from Sue, a little known but well respected tutor at the college where I studied photography. The majority is self-taught, through internet resources and books.

May 25 09 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Star wrote:

Me.  I had two instructors here in Toronto, and one in NY.

May 25 09 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

James_B_II wrote:

Star wrote:

No.

QFT, with emphasis on the bold part.

To add:  With a good educational foundation in PS, you begin to see how there are several ways of approaching each project, and know immediately what will work best, instead of repeating possibly ineffectual self-taught techniques because that's all you know, or don't understand them well enough.  You need to know the "why's", not just the "how's".

May 25 09 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Richard Dubois wrote:

James_B_II wrote:

QFT, with emphasis on the bold part.

To add:  With a good educational foundation in PS, you begin to see how there are several ways of approaching each project, and know immediately what will work best, instead of repeating possibly ineffectual self-taught techniques because that's all you know, or don't understand them well enough.  You need to know the "why's", not just the "how's".

I think comments like the emboldened one about algorithms are kind of misleading. In it's loosest interpretation, any action you create is an algoritm in that it uses finite steps to achieve an end goal.  In light of that, stating that you need to understand actions is acceptable. In it's literal interpretation, an algorithm is most likely a sequence of mathematical formulas that a college level math whiz might have a problem understanding.

Noting the complexity of a true algorithm, do you really feel it's necessary for me to understand the finite mathematical steps necessary to produce a mask from a calculation? The reason I ask is that I don't believe for one second that either you or Star know anything about the actual math behind a calculation. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you and Star are trying to get at, but plain speak usually outweighs techno garble on almost any level. Most of the people lurking in here are probably already intimidated by the program itself, you needn't add to their frustration by throwing hyperbole into the mix.

May 25 09 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

i'm not self-taught.  that would imply that i've learned something.  i have not.

May 25 09 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Robert Randall wrote:
I've probably had more formal technical training in imaging than anyone on this site, including Rick Miller. There are artists on this site who are so good, I would be ashamed to hold their jock strap. I assume a great many of them are self taught, while others have formal training. I believe the one constant is how quickly a well trained artist can assimilate technique into their artistry, while the self taught artist may never assimilate quality technique. While I obviously approve of formal training, it isn't the only path to creative success.

To this day, I don't think Paul McCartney can read music.

He cant and claims not to be able to do so regardless of how much he has tried to learn , I recall his BBC interview a few years ago , right along the time he premiered his
Full First Complete Classical Symphony .

Just a footnote...

oh and QFT  on the rest of your post.

May 25 09 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

sl3966

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I'm self taught. The Navy sent me to all kinds of schools, seminars and classes. All I've learned is that pretty much everyone has their own way of doing a particular task in photoshop and what matters is the final result, not how you got there. No matter if you learned it from Mr. Knoll himself or on your own.

May 25 09 06:09 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Richard Dubois wrote:

Robert Randall wrote:
I think comments like the emboldened one about algorithms are kind of misleading. In it's loosest interpretation, any action you create is an algoritm in that it uses finite steps to achieve an end goal.  In light of that, stating that you need to understand actions is acceptable. In it's literal interpretation, an algorithm is most likely a sequence of mathematical formulas that a college level math whiz might have a problem understanding.

Noting the complexity of a true algorithm, do you really feel it's necessary for me to understand the finite mathematical steps necessary to produce a mask from a calculation? The reason I ask is that I don't believe for one second that either you or Star know anything about the actual math behind a calculation. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you and Star are trying to get at, but plain speak usually outweighs techno garble on almost any level. Most of the people lurking in here are probably already intimidated by the program itself, you needn't add to their frustration by throwing hyperbole into the mix.

I agree that 'algorithm' lends itself to hyperbolic use, but the concept still applies.

The biggest difficulty I had when teaching Photoshop was dealing with students who had self-taught starting around version 6 or 7, when so many of the fundamental functions weren't needed for simple work. You didn't have to use a channel to get a drop shadow; you didn't have to use channels to do much of anything simple, in fact, and because of that, they'd never learned.

Things which had to be learned in the early versions, and which formed a simple path to advanced work, didn't need to be learned for simple stuff...but without those fundamentals, advancing was extremely difficult.

And far too many books and videos provide nothing more than recipes to follow, with little or no explanation as to the underpinnings. (Of course, so do many classes; the format isn't the limitation, it's what information is covered.)

Call them algorithms, call them fundamentals, call them basics, call them the stuff under the hood: whatever they're called, without them, the user is going to be much more limited. And some form of guidance will make learning them much easier--how many people would have discovered the wealth of options from channel chops without Kai , for example?

In fact, a good argument can be made that the more you know about the tool, the less you need the new features for core editing purposes, as a very large fraction of the new features are ways to make older features easier to get started with. Only last year, Bob Staake made the news by using Photoshop v3 (not CS3, but version 3.0, released in 1994) to produce the cover of a 2008 The New Yorker magazine.

May 25 09 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Parris Sims

Columbia, Maryland, US

I'm self taught, but that does not mean I have not had help.  And when I first started I thought I knew it all, and know I realize I don't/didn't know crap.  Photography has definitely humbled me.  I have been lucky to work with some amazing mentors that are willing to teach me and answer any questions I have.

Its cool to look at the crap I made I first started.........vs.......the crap I have now ha ha ha ha.

Now if I could only figure out how to keep models from flaking out on me and now showing up.

Parris

May 25 09 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Fernon

Annapolis, Maryland, US

i was in here eating skittles and scratching my head

May 25 09 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

BornArts

Fresno, California, US

Star wrote:

No.

Respectfully, that is a bunch of crappola.  I dont care if you have infinite knowledge of math(complex algorithyms) and physics, it will not make you an artist.  It would seem your friend, "Rick" as trapped you inside an Adobe box, only able to grow as Adobe programmers do.  Not knowing you will truely never be able to grow as an artist until you understand what it means to not be bound by the rules of physics and mathmatics.

May 25 09 07:03 pm Link