Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Advanced photomanipulation question...

Photographer

ChasmPrism

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I haven't done any photomanipulation in a year, trying to get back into it. At the moment, I am working on a streampunk image and I need to figure out how to make it look like some of the skin is breaking and there are gears under it. I tried doing it with the use of masks, but then the gears just blur into the skin. I also tried doing it by playing around with the shadows to create depth, almost worked but not quite. I might have to paint it manually, but I would first like to know if there is a quicker way of creating the depth. Instead of the gears being on the skin, I was trying to make them look like they were under the skin. Any advice? I thought of using crack brushes to define and darken the edges, and then drawing tiny little cracks in the skin around.

May 24 09 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

do a search on crack brushes and grunge brushes.. it can be added as an eraser brush to create holes where you can put gears and the likes behind..

create the hole and doge and burn midtones around the area

May 24 09 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

ChasmPrism wrote:
I haven't done any photomanipulation in a year, trying to get back into it. At the moment, I am working on a streampunk image and I need to figure out how to make it look like some of the skin is breaking and there are gears under it. I tried doing it with the use of masks, but then the gears just blur into the skin. I also tried doing it by playing around with the shadows to create depth, almost worked but not quite. I might have to paint it manually, but I would first like to know if there is a quicker way of creating the depth. Instead of the gears being on the skin, I was trying to make them look like they were under the skin. Any advice? I thought of using crack brushes to define and darken the edges, and then drawing tiny little cracks in the skin around.

Try making an alpha channel based on luminance value of the gears (this assumes you already have the gears as an image in place on the skin), then apply an amount of emboss (you determine the amount) to the channel. The result should leave you with a predominantly middle gray channel with highlight and shadow detail delineated. Ask for a curve for the channel you created, putting the shadow point at 0 output/128 input, and the highlight point at 255 output/191 input. This will effectively give you the highlight portion of your embossing to play with. Load this channel and ask for a layer curve placing it above the skin layer to be affected. Adjust the highlight portion of the curve to suit your tastes. Re-do the process, but this time, invert the channel while still predominantly gray, to affect the shadow portion of the emboss on the channel.

You can blur the masks once they are part of the layer curve, if you feel like softening the effect.

May 24 09 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Liz Caldwell

Riverside, California, US

My friend has got a tattoo like that on his arm... cut, paste, done. tongue

(kidding obviously, unless you wanna try it)

May 24 09 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

DigitalArticulation wrote:
do a search on crack brushes and grunge brushes.. it can be added as an eraser brush to create holes where you can put gears and the likes behind..

create the hole and doge and burn midtones around the area

forget the eraser, use a layer mask.

May 24 09 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Several different ways. Really.

I found a web tutorial that has part of what you are looking for:

http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161011&page=1

May 24 09 09:40 pm Link

Model

Countess Grotesque

Mandurah, Western Australia, Australia

http://www.deviantart.com/#catpath=reso … s&order=11
view the list on the side. It has brushes for most photo editing programs.
Deviantart.com is also good for tutorials.

May 25 09 03:10 am Link

Photographer

BornArts

Fresno, California, US

I don't want to freak you out but you may have to use some of your own artistic ability and not a plug-in.  It looks as though the gears are on the skin and not behind because your brain knows things are not where they should be in order to give that illusion.  You will have to manually add shadows and highlights to make it work.  There are no plug-ins for that, thank god.

May 25 09 04:13 am Link